Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Rocksicles posted:

I too like her titties.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0rGE4uhk-Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

This is basically The Magicians in a nutshell, but with pew pew wands instead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TNSVzeKcxQ

(or this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH2qKfhdlJQ)

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Feb 17, 2017

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
The best part of the show is Penny's magnificent chest. If this was a lesser show, they would have made him shave it at the very least.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Indians are hairy bastards, it's a thing.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Rocksicles posted:

Indians are hairy bastards, it's a thing.

Wait, he's not Dominican?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

gohmak posted:

Wait, he's not Dominican?

Of the Marina Cap Cana, Gupta's

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

that surgeon has the biggest dick

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
more like engorged_camel amirite!?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
It's kind of amazing how well this show turned around between seasons 1 and 2.

Also, Penny's face as Gaeta just shat out in the open. And then Gaeta's "Your welcome :smuggo:" :allears:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

coyo7e posted:

more like engorged_camel amirite!?

i prefer enlarged_camel :smug:

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

WarLocke posted:

... and then his specialty ends up being something stupid like 'mending small things'.

The entire point of Quentin is that he's a manbaby loser, basically the diametric opposite of the prophesied Harry Potter One. He doesn't even start growing up until the third book, and even then it's more about him coming to terms with how he's basically hosed everything up and wasted half his life and where to go from there.

If he had no redeeming qualities, why does do such great people waste time on him then? Some "Being There" logic or something?

From descriptions from last year, he was painted as extremely hard working but untalented, comparatively. The narrative I interpreted from the book spoilers was that he was a loser who wished to be special. Being a wizard gave him this opportunity, but he turned out to be a loser there too, because talent means everything; and he had little. That's why I don't get how this whole thing is a critique of HP? He survived, apparently made friends with great people, and he turned out to not want to be special, by giving up being special to save the world? And some Machiavellian forces handpicked him, so he was special!

HP at least wasn't handpicked, circumstances just made it so he was the best bait.

Eliot is alright through. Still think Julia deserves to die, how many people has she killed on her quest for power.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Femur posted:

Eliot is alright through. Still think Julia deserves to die, how many people has she killed on her quest for power.

Yeah, I'm not one to be a stickler about 100% accuracy in adapting books to screen. But they just really have Julia all wrong in the show, where they've made her vindictive and loyal to absolutely nobody but her own quest for power. In the books she becomsshe only became even somewhat like that AFTER her encounter with Reynard. By making this her personality from day one, she is completely unchanged by her encounter (and the loss of her shade). It only changes her focus of obsession. Further, in the books she was close friends with the group of people who she tried to summon a God with. Their death hit particularly close to home for her. She wasn't just trying to avenge the death of some random hedge witches who she had never met before.

Penny they've greatly improved, although show Penny is too overpowered, and by making him a traveler, they really undo the novelty of being able to travel to other worlds. In the books he was more or less simply Quentin's rival at Brakebills.

Margot (Janet) they've also improved, where in the books she was just Eliot's sidekick.

Eliot they more or less have right.

And Josh. Why did they even bother to include him at all?

Nihonniboku fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Feb 18, 2017

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!
Honestly, I think you're all being too harsh on Julia. She didn't sacrifice people in her quest for power; rather, she had all of the people she cared about either treat her like garbage for daring to pursue magic after the opportunity was robbed from her, (Quentin in particular was a massive douchebag.) or straight up removed from her life in gruesome ways outside of her fiancee, who just got his memories of her completely wiped. Oh and you know, her growing faith in Mother Underground being rewarded with bloodbath and rape. (By a god inhabiting her new partner's body at that.)

About the only thing I'm opposed to was her striking a deal with The Beast, even though she just had her memories of Reynard restored by "I'm Helping!" Umber. Marina was used as bait against her wishes, and if not for the Brakebills gang acting with their usual disregard for anyone outside their circle, she would have managed to kill Reynard easily, and would have gladly aided them in defeating The Beast.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Julia's suffered a number of traumas and has had none of the support networks the other characters have, so I think she's understandable, if not commendable. She's not a particularly good person, but neither is most everyone else

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Yeah, I think the show does pretty well for itself as long as you don't compare it directly to the books. Which was the problem with the first season, they had this weird thing about trying to hew straight to the books - except when they didn't for some random reason.

They got the balance right in the current season - things are different, but in a more natural way, not just 'lol we changed this because' like it was coming across before.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Julia's suffered a number of traumas and has had none of the support networks the other characters have, so I think she's understandable, if not commendable. She's not a particularly good person, but neither is most everyone else

Yeah, this. She's actually the most believable relatable character in the show. All of her actions are congruent with her experiences and motivations and make perfect sense given her limited perspective.

I mean, if you learned that magic is real, then were told by everyone (including your best friend) that you aren't talented enough to pursue it, would you want to go back to your regular boring life? Or would you also try to figure out ways to explore it further? If people (including your best friend) kept dismissing your wants and needs as unimportant or secondary to theirs, would you also not tell them to go gently caress themselves? If you got violently raped by a monster and had a way of getting revenge, would you not make that your number one priority?

I haven't read any of the books and don't have a frame of reference, but in the show, Julia is a very well-written (and well-acted) character.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Show Julia is a completely different character from Book Julia. But this is the same for Penny, Josh and Margot (Penny was off doing his own thing for most of the books and only intersected with everyone else a few times, Margot is different by having a personality in the show, Josh had basically one scene with his rich house in Italy or whatever).

Even Alice is a more socialized version of the book Alice. Really, Quentin and Elliot are the closest to their original versions.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Quentin didn't come into his power until the third book? For real? I guess you must've fallen asleep during the end/epilogue of the first book where he got healed by a centaur and spent a bunch of time basically in "The Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath" and became a seriously badass wizard (with a wooden shoulder).

The second book was kind of a letdown of a type, to me, because Quentin did mature, and did come into his full sense of self and potential at the end of the first novell... And then boom, everybody's kings and queens and we've got Julia rolling around like the most emo of obnoxious emo chicks, with her extra-unique magic because she found that being raped by godlings is like drinking Ember's jizz, except it doesn't wear off.

Basically after the first book I lost interest because it rapidly became apparent that there are no consequences and that everybody gets a seat at the table.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Very well stated, thanks. In the show she's a much better character than in the books.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

coyo7e posted:

Quentin didn't come into his power until the third book? For real? I guess you must've fallen asleep during the end/epilogue of the first book where he got healed by a centaur and spent a bunch of time basically in "The Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath" and became a seriously badass wizard (with a wooden shoulder).

If you meant my post, I said he didn't grow up until the third book. Wizardly power isn't the same as maturity, and in fact one of the premises of the series is that magic can't fix everything.

It's not until the third book that Quentin sets aside his adolescent wish to be 'the hero' and buckles down to do the one thing that really matters to him - he becomes an instructor at Brakebills in order to research ways to un-Niffin Alice. Note that every time in the preceding books that he tried to be a big glorious hero he hosed it up (notably the bit with the the ship/outer islands and getting the key, where he proves he has magical chops but gets that one cartographer kid killed with an arrow through the neck because of it), it's not until he realizes that wanting to do good while also being the Big drat Hero is where he falls flat, and he instead buckles down to do drudgery for an extended period of time that he finally manages to truly do something right and get his 'happy ending'.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

coyo7e posted:

Yeah, it took Alice sacrificing herself to save Quentin for Quentin to actually complete some of the things he starts, apply himself, and realize his potential as a magician. He's like, "drat, Alice was super good and I'm not going to waste her sacrifice by wasting my potential." In the second book it's clear that Quentin is serious business. In both magical theory and battle magic.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

AngryBooch posted:

Yeah, it took Alice sacrificing herself to save Quentin for Quentin to actually complete some of the things he starts, apply himself, and realize his potential as a magician. He's like, "drat, Alice was super good and I'm not going to waste her sacrifice by wasting my potential." In the second book it's clear that Quentin is serious business. In both magical theory and battle magic.

Which kinda sucks I guess because in the second season (if we assume it correlates with the second book), Quentin's ability consists of casting Shield (first year spell) and cast Aim (which Penny just taught him).

In season 1 he created that small black hole thing and that was cool, but I guess from a budget perspective spells like that can't happen too frequently.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Fun fact: In the books the black hole spell was all Josh IIRC

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

WarLocke posted:

Fun fact: In the books the black hole spell was all Josh IIRC

Yep. Josh was basically like a wild mage where sometimes his spells were amateur hour and sometimes they were earthshaking and he could never really control it. Josh isn't pretty enough to be main cast though.

enraged_camel posted:

Which kinda sucks I guess because in the second season (if we assume it correlates with the second book), Quentin's ability consists of casting Shield (first year spell) and cast Aim (which Penny just taught him).

In season 1 he created that small black hole thing and that was cool, but I guess from a budget perspective spells like that can't happen too frequently.

Well, he's on that path now in the show. The books are structured a little differently, the show so far isn't quite up to the end of book 1 yet, but it's also covered half of book 2 which centered around Julia, and what she was doing while Quentin was at Brakebills.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
If you wanted to preach that power fantasies are bad or whatever, then Julia is really your example. Why judge quinton and sympathize with her?

All her trauma are self inflicted because she choose this journey. She was the hero at the beginning, and learned the harsh truth that she could not accept. I don't know whether the hedge witches were going to die even without her, but she does show up and they die. There was some kinda network of hedges, and he journey is destroying it, all because she couldn't accept not being special.

Why give her sympathy? Shes always been "better" than Quinton, so we think she deserve more or something? Why doesn't she learn to be normal also?

Quinton learned after Alice according to yall, hos many deaths and traumas should it take Julia before we can laugh at her for not accepting her fate?

Femur fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Feb 18, 2017

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

... Because nobody that finds out that magic is real and, hey, you can do magic is gonna be satisfied to go back to a 'normal' life?

You can take your premise and turn it around and say that Brakebill's is responsible for everything that's happened to Julia since they turned her away after she beat their mindwipe and came back.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
But that is Quinton's journey, he grew up and accepts a quiet job.

Noone in this thread has offered any sympathy for Quinton, his trauma for being the moon next to the sun.

why don't we feel sorry for quinton for not being pretty and talented like Julia? we blame him for being whiny at about his station.

brackhill had a system to solve your problem, Julia choose yo circumvent and was unwilling to give up what she felt she deserved.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Femur posted:

All her trauma are self inflicted because she choose this journey.

Do you also tell women it's their fault they got raped because they chose to walk down that dark alley at night?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Femur posted:

If you wanted to preach that power fantasies are bad or whatever, then Julia is really your example. Why judge quinton and sympathize with her?

All her trauma are self inflicted because she choose this journey. She was the hero at the beginning, and learned the harsh truth that she could not accept. I don't know whether the hedge witches were going to die even without her, but she does show up and they die. There was some kinda network of hedges, and he journey is destroying it, all because she couldn't accept not being special.

Why give her sympathy? Shes always been "better" than Quinton, so we think she deserve more or something? Why doesn't she learn to be normal also?

Quinton learned after Alice according to yall, hos many deaths and traumas should it take Julia before we can laugh at her for not accepting her fate?
whoa, your PUA is showing there

enraged_camel posted:

Do you also tell women it's their fault they got raped because they chose to walk down that dark alley at night?
only when they refused his "by-the-book" PUA advances on them personally.. After that they all are scientifically proven to be bitches and deserve what comes to them - which was explicitly not Femur getting into their pants

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 18, 2017

Femur
Jan 10, 2004

enraged_camel posted:

No. that is real life. This is fiction that is supposedly trying to teach us to know our place.

Julia obviously acted due to selfishness. She was a Have, and refused to be a have not.

Quinton was a have not who learned to accept being a have not.

But we sympathise with the pretty rich girl over the poor dude with maybe mental problems.

don't know what pua is, but side with the pretty normal people more and redicule the poor and un well mannered i guess.

Femur fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Feb 18, 2017

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Femur posted:

No. that is real life. This is fiction that is supposedly trying to teach us to know our place.

Julia obviously acted due to selfishness. She was a Have, and refused to be a have not.

:eyepoop:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I mean, we sympathize with Julia (I didn't even get the sense the thread cares about her hugely) because (a) Brakebills really hosed with her head and (b) she got raped by a demon pretending to be a goddess who would bring her peace. gently caress, even Margo and Elliot were sympathetic to her after Quentin explained why she stole the dagger. And Margo was again sympathetic to her after she explained what she was dealing with. And Margo's a total rear end in a top hat.

I can sympathize with Quentin's general mental unwellness but that got eroded away quickly by the way he treats people and his complete self absorption. Maybe that makes me unsympathetic to his particular problems but eventually that poo poo's going to wear you down.

And obviously we're supposed to kind of hate Quentin because literally every other person on the show takes turn yelling at for the same poo poo we don't like him for.

That being said, Julia's obviously got her selfish and thick headed traits. But at least she has the excuse of being twice over traumatized by magic and having a serial killing rape fox to deal with.

edit: Did I say twice traumatized? I forgot Katy's mom dying in front of her. Or all the hosed up poo poo the hedge witches put her through. Julia's life has basically been nothing but trauma since Brakebills first hosed with her.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Feb 18, 2017

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

I mean, nobody in this show is a 'good' person (possibly with the exception of some of the teachers, who are mostly plot props). Elliot and Alice are probably the 'best' of the main crew, and even they are pretty damaged.

Julia is surprisingly stable considering what she's been through.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Show-Julia is weird, because she really did seem to kind of be a controlling manipulative chick who had a boyfriend but kept stringing Quentin along, which, I get it, all the MRAs got really upset by - mad +likes for the early S01 episodes from fark or 4chan or wherever Milo fans go to circle jerk these days.

Book-Julia was much the same, but instead of coming into her own she just went full goth and talked to squirrels

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I am just pointing out how their journeys should be seen in the same light.

Your personality and mental wellness isn't ingrain, as Quinton learned to improve his, so quinton wasn't born annoying. He grew that way because he felt he was a have not.

Julia experienced the opposite. And both are now doing dumb things to prove their specialness.

But Quinton's journey seen as a lesson, and Julia's as a tragedy.

I find both characters as equally selfish and dumb, I said that originally, but yall started making excuses for her. To me she commits the same sin as Quinton, she should be expected to learn the same lesson.

Both deserve sympathy for having their dreams crushed by a cruel world.

But Quiton is seen as the wrong one because it was dumb for him to even dream. this to me is our cruelness and lack of sympathy.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The only things we saw Julia doing pre-Brakebills was encouraging Quentin to socialize and talk to a girl and walking with him to his graduate school interview. The show has never seemed to suggest Julia ever "led on" Quentin or was manipulating him. The only time that even came up was Quentin getting angry at her for "friend zoning" him or some other self absorbed nonsense that is in no way the woman's fault. Like, was Julia supposed to stop being friends with her oldest buddy because he had a crush on her and wasn't mature enough to get over that?

That was just one of the many moments I came to hate Quentin because his response to "you lied to me about this huge thing that was loving with my head and cut me out of your life" was "yeah, well I always wanted to hook up with you and you didn't!"

I mean, I get that it may "trigger" MRA people who complain about "friend zoning." But that doesn't make them right.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Saying that someone is a "have" or a "have not" really makes me not want to engage. Is that some MRA dog whistle?

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
She had a nice apartment, social life, and ivy league waiting for her. She wanted Quinton to grow up and give up on his dreams.

She then regrets giving up her dreams, ends up living it. Quinton ended up where he would have if he listened to her.

You would only feel sympathy for Julia if you felt she had worthwhile virtues, but that is not compassion. It is just a form of entitlement yall are painting my view as.

Compassion is empathy for the undesirables also, which yall do not have.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Femur posted:

But Quinton's journey seen as a lesson, and Julia's as a tragedy.

That's because they were not the same journey. If Julia had Quentin's story arc, and vice versa, she would be the "lesson," and he the "tragedy." We would still be sympathizing with the character that had been raped and betrayed, because their respective genders are not carrying our audience reaction.

Femur posted:

She had a nice apartment, social life, and ivy league waiting for her. She wanted Quinton to grow up and give up on his dreams.

She then regrets giving up her dreams, ends up living it. Quinton ended up where he would have if he listened to her.

You would only feel sympathy for Julia if you felt she had worthwhile virtues, but that is not compassion. It is just a form of entitlement yall are painting my view as.

Compassion is empathy for the undesirables also, which yall do not have.

If those character roles had been reversed, so that the thread empathized with the male character instead of the female one, would you still be making posts like these? Probably not, I think.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Didn't Quentin go to the same Ivy League school Julia did and was going to an Ivy League Graduate School interview when we met him? And he grew up with her. Why should we assume that he's somehow considerably worse off than her? Did I miss something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Okay this is a totally meaningless-aside however - how shoudl we be spelling "Quentin"? I mean I grew up with a boatload of kids named that and they were all spelled the same, but I also don't think I even have a digital version of The Magicians so maybe his name is totally spelled like a stripper's kid?

Or maybe all the misspellings are some ultra subtle way to gently caress with the paradigm of this thread - but I doubt it.