Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

D34THROW posted:

Is that a loving Cambro pan? I've never seen those outside of foodservice in my life.

I never realized how wrongly I washed my hands until I worked at Subway and the Safeway deli.

Re: dish chat, see foodservice mention above. Between those two shitholes, lack of PPE, and piping hot water, my hands were a red, swollen, cracked, bleeding mess. Something about the soaps and sanitizers just reacted really poorly with me. All that worked was Eucerin, and only slightly; and since then, it's always resurged if I try to hand-wash dishes at home. We have one dishpan and let stuff soak, which I rinse (if necessary) and load into the dishwasher after dinner to run during the night.

I discovered that shortening makes a passable cold cream the last time I had a job like this.

there wolf fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Feb 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

If you touch your weiner when you piss, you should probably wash your hands first. Your hands have been touching all manner of surfaces and maybe people and animals and whatnot and they're filthy from the get-go.

Similarly, people who worry about the door handle on the way out of the restroom have it backwards. The handle on the way in has been touched by a lot of people who haven't washed their hands yet (and a lot who need to), and now you're gonna directly provide a vector from that surface to your genitalia?

But really actually we're a cleanliness-obsessed society and we're suffering enormous blowback in many ways for being way too worried about germs.

Good point that everyone is nasty before they even take a poo poo.

Considering that for most people handwashing is a ceremonial wave of their hands under cold water, I'll keep using the paper towel to open the out door. I'm pretty into not touching any surfaces in public restrooms unless I have to, so I open the door with an elbow or forearm if I can, grab a piece of TP for the stall latch (opening and closing), and avoid the hand dryers that may as well have poo poo crusted to their insides. It's not hard.

We don't need to disinfect our assholes and have antibacterial everything, we just need to be practical about handwashing and surfaces.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
They don't stop touching things with their poop hands once out of the bathroom.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The other day I was in a restaurant and their motion activated paper towel thing was being triggered by any movement within a couple meters so there was just a huge mound of paper towels on the floor stringing out of the dispenser.

Also I often manage to get soap on my sleeve because the stupid motion activate soap dispenser (why????) gets set off and sprays me while I'm trying to actually properly wash my hands in the stupid motion activated sink. I hate that poo poo. When it all works it's ok, but they very very often don't.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt1r73mYfKY

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

there wolf posted:

I discovered that shorting makes a passable cold cream the last time I had a job like this.

Good idea. My hands were amazing for a few days after I made a pie crust. :peanut:

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Baronjutter posted:

The other day I was in a restaurant and their motion activated paper towel thing was being triggered by any movement within a couple meters so there was just a huge mound of paper towels on the floor stringing out of the dispenser.

Those things have switches for adjusting sensitivity and the length of towel it dispenses per activation. You've apparently been running across dispensers set to "I loving hate my boss" mode.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Jerry Cotton posted:

Your cupboards are a piece of poo poo.

Wow. :eyepop: You're absolutely right, my cupboards suck. So does every cupboard I've ever seen IRL. Canada is way behind on cupboard technology.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Leperflesh posted:

If you touch your weiner when you piss, you should probably wash your hands first. Your hands have been touching all manner of surfaces and maybe people and animals and whatnot and they're filthy from the get-go.

Similarly, people who worry about the door handle on the way out of the restroom have it backwards. The handle on the way in has been touched by a lot of people who haven't washed their hands yet (and a lot who need to), and now you're gonna directly provide a vector from that surface to your genitalia?

But really actually we're a cleanliness-obsessed society and we're suffering enormous blowback in many ways for being way too worried about germs.

The biggest hygeine problem in the UK (probably all of western world) is people not washing their hands before eating. Noone I know every washes their hands before eating lunch food, or even before eating in a fancy restaurant.

Asian countries (Malaysia at least) have it right; A sink with soap and paper towels, right in the open in many cafes, so you can wash your hands before eating, without having to go into a gross bathroom.

Well, maybe mobile phones are up there for hygeine problems too.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

wooger posted:

The biggest hygeine problem in the UK (probably all of western world) is people not washing their hands before eating. Noone I know every washes their hands before eating lunch food, or even before eating in a fancy restaurant.

Asian countries (Malaysia at least) have it right; A sink with soap and paper towels, right in the open in many cafes, so you can wash your hands before eating, without having to go into a gross bathroom.

Well, maybe mobile phones are up there for hygeine problems too.

You obviously don't eat lunch with laborers.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

If you touch your weiner when you piss, you should probably wash your hands first.

Everyone here who works in the warehouse who washes their hands at all in the toilet (:bahgawd:) washes their hands before and after. A few dudes also wash their feet with the bidette if they fart but I think that's a religious or cultural thing since I don't think anyone's farts are powerful enough to soil their toes :shrug:

Facebook Aunt posted:

Wow. :eyepop: You're absolutely right, my cupboards suck. So does every cupboard I've ever seen IRL. Canada is way behind on cupboard technology.

I wonder if they have proper cupboards down South where all the Finns live.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
If people are justifying not washing their hands in the bathroom, how many other times a day do you think that person is washing their hands?

I'm gonna bet on zero. :barf:

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

canyoneer posted:

If people are justifying not washing their hands in the bathroom, how many other times a day do you think that person is washing their hands?

I'm gonna bet on zero. :barf:

What are you some kind of germaphobe? I come to work every day whether I'm sick or not, you just gotta harden up your immune system :jerkbag:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The shower is enough hand washing for one day, thank you very much.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

NancyPants posted:

Good point that everyone is nasty before they even take a poo poo.

Considering that for most people handwashing is a ceremonial wave of their hands under cold water, I'll keep using the paper towel to open the out door. I'm pretty into not touching any surfaces in public restrooms unless I have to, so I open the door with an elbow or forearm if I can, grab a piece of TP for the stall latch (opening and closing), and avoid the hand dryers that may as well have poo poo crusted to their insides. It's not hard.

We don't need to disinfect our assholes and have antibacterial everything, we just need to be practical about handwashing and surfaces.

look at this baby can't handle some germs

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

In the great battle fought between the electrician and the plumber, the homeowner loses.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
How much concrete is too much concrete? Turns out it's 2000 pounds.

http://www.ktvu.com/news/236011793-story posted:

Evacuations ordered as concrete slab threatens to fall from construction site

SAN FRANCISCO (KTVU/BCN) - Fire officials are evacuating five buildings this afternoon in San Francisco's South of Market neighborhood where a 2,000-pound concrete slab is at risk of falling from the 30th floor of a building under construction.

The slab is on the 30th floor of a construction site at 41 Tehama St., fire officials said on Twitter at 2:54 p.m.

Fire officials are now evacuating that site and four nearby sites including 543 Howard St. and 44, 56 and 58 Tehama St.

San Francisco Fire Department PIO Jonathan Baxter updated the situation at 4:00 p.m. and said the unoccupied building suffered a wall failure on the top floor as the wall was being constructed.

He added that a crane attached to the top of the roof is cantilevered on the compromised wall.

Construction workers have been evacuated. Fire officials said there are no injuries to civilians or fire department staff.

Officials are awaiting information from structural engineers on how to remedy the situation safely.

San Francisco Department of Emergency Management officials are warning people to avoid the area between Howard, Folsom, First and Second streets.

The project at 41 Tehama St. is a 37-story, 403-unit luxury residential tower near the Transbay Transit Center site. Construction began in 2015, according to a 2015 statement from development and construction management firm Lend Lease.

https://twitter.com/sffdpio/status/832015139838648320/photo/1

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

There is no escape from concrete.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
drat, that's 5 secure motorcycles.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Lifehack: park your motorcycle on the thirtieth floor to protect it from theft.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

BattleMaster posted:

Adding anything at all to tea just ruins the flavour and makes it taste like water with whatever you added heavily diluted. If you brew tea properly, even cheap stuff, it should be sweet on its own.
And yet you ruin perfectly good black tea by adding bergamot.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Cat door to nowhere?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

there wolf posted:

Cat door to nowhere?

I believe that's a dryer vent with a missing cover.

Or an exit-only cat door.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Motronic posted:

I believe that's a dryer vent with a missing cover.

Or an exit-only cat door.

Cats go out. The one that makes it back in become beloved family pet who gets canned food and an old cushion in the sun.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Hand washing chat always makes me want to rewatch Contagion. It's for cooling the wires. if you think about it, it's really a fire un-hazard.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

There is just so much wrong in such a small area.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Is he sawing through the hardwood floor AND the subfloor? And still set the plunge deep enough to hit a pipe. You gotta *work* at incompetence like that.

E: one more. Why would he be *sawiing* the hardwood anyway (assuming he's replacing it).

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Feb 18, 2017

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

My guess: first he set his blade depth correctly to go through the floor, over on the right. Next he set his blade depth a lot deeper, so he could notch the joists in prep to lay something (probably a pip). Finally, he started to cut another plank, and then discovered he hadn't reset his blade depth, the very very hard way.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

flosofl posted:

Is he sawing through the hardwood floor AND the subfloor? And still set the plunge deep enough to hit a pipe. You gotta *work* at incompetence like that.

E: one more. Why would he be *sawiing* the hardwood anyway (assuming he's replacing it).

Maybe he was trying to cut a trap door for his movie dungeon.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007
From Reddit, a deathtrap.

https://imgur.com/a/usBzT

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
That is actually totally badass.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Kea posted:

Is that really that much cheaper than a comparable basement?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Glumslinger posted:

Is that really that much cheaper than a comparable burial?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Kea posted:

The OSHA thread has made me very wary of enclosed spaces. But this has two 4 inch pipes and a bathroom exhaust fan, I'm sure it will be fine.

Facebook Aunt fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Feb 18, 2017

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
Someday I want a bunker/root cellar in the hillside behind the barn. I plan to hire a professional when the time comes.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

The OSHA thread has made me very wary of enclosed spaces. But this has two 4 inch pipes and a bathroom exhaust fan, I'm sure it will be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Atticus_1354 posted:

Someday I want a bunker/root cellar in the hillside behind the barn. I plan to hire a professional when the time comes.

If I had money and property with a hill, I'd totally have a hobbit hole guest house installed.

But none of this totally underground stuff, needs a door and windows.