Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.
Is this a translation thing?

Chapter 9
Tachibana just expressed that he envies Kiryu, because he has real friends. He says he could never risk his life for someone else.

He said this after driving through a pack of Yakuza to rescue me, running over Kuze, one of their bosses, in the process. He says it's like the second time he's ever driven a car. And he has one loving hand.

Cause if not, holy poo poo.

VVV my bad, this makes sense. VVV

Tofu Injection fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Tofu Injection posted:

Is this a translation thing?

Chapter 9
Tachibana just expressed that he envies Kiryu, because he has real friends. He says he could never risk his life for someone else.

He said this after driving through a pack of Yakuza to rescue me, running over Kuze, one of their bosses, in the process. He says it's like the second time he's ever driven a car. And he has one loving hand.

Cause if not, holy poo poo.

It's not a mistranslation, you're just missing the context. Tachibana says he wants to be like Kiryu, risking himself for people without regard for the consequences. Hence the rescue.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I finally started taking the fight to extortionists (Thanks, encounter finder). I have come to respect them as wonderful people. Hopefully past this chapter 9 stuff, I'll have a chance to do it with Majima before the main plot train goes too off the rails.

You can do it buddy. You can make it to space :allears:

Jimbot posted:

Which abilities carry over to the legendary stances? Is there a list of them somewhere online?

I wish I knew as well, yeah. It's a real bitch to figure out for Majima because high speed knife combat doesn't really have the same concept as bare hands or even baseball bat based combat.

At least with Kiryu who I've recently unlocked it for in Chapter 9, more things pop out. "Oh hey, the forward front flip kick I finally unlocked for Brawler now happens with Dragon style:".

PS: Everyone talking about how "Well Majima's upgrades cost less!". It would be nice if that also applied to his legendary grid :argh: (Not that I've got the CP to uncap the billion yen edge for either of them yet :downs:)

Oh right, this reminds me. Give your main ability grids some love before investing in the legendary grid too much. Filling out every initially available legendary health bubble, gives you about the same health as a single normal style final health upgrade, for example. I expect similar results apply for the damage boosting nodes, where splurging on your expensive 4th power up in the main grid is as good by comparison.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
The ONE time this series doesn't have the gambling cheat items when they would be most helpful.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Don't the golden weapons replace the cheating items or is the luck thing just flavor text?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Wallets also say they give you "good financial luck".

Though I could have sworn I did in fact get some gambling cheating items in this game.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
If they are in game, they're not as overt as the previous games' entries like "will roll 0 or 00 in roulette".

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Section Z posted:

I finally started taking the fight to extortionists (Thanks, encounter finder). I have come to respect them as wonderful people. Hopefully past this chapter 9 stuff, I'll have a chance to do it with Majima before the main plot train goes too off the rails.

You can do it buddy. You can make it to space :allears:

I wish I knew as well, yeah. It's a real bitch to figure out for Majima because high speed knife combat doesn't really have the same concept as bare hands or even baseball bat based combat.

At least with Kiryu who I've recently unlocked it for in Chapter 9, more things pop out. "Oh hey, the forward front flip kick I finally unlocked for Brawler now happens with Dragon style:".

PS: Everyone talking about how "Well Majima's upgrades cost less!". It would be nice if that also applied to his legendary grid :argh: (Not that I've got the CP to uncap the billion yen edge for either of them yet :downs:)

Oh right, this reminds me. Give your main ability grids some love before investing in the legendary grid too much. Filling out every initially available legendary health bubble, gives you about the same health as a single normal style final health upgrade, for example. I expect similar results apply for the damage boosting nodes, where splurging on your expensive 4th power up in the main grid is as good by comparison.

Kiryu's is also helped by the fact that it's literally just "how he plays in the other games" so if you've played a previous game you'll have a decent grounding in how that works (I had forgotten that the dropkick used to bounce him back to a standing base, for instance, but it quickly came back).
Majima was only playable previously in a game where his main mode of attack was "shoot in head with shotgun", so it's harder to parse what moves he 'should' have unless you were obsessive about watching his boss patterns in the other games.

Can I also, on a totally different note, point out how great the localisation job Atlus did is? It's so nice having pretty English graphics for the enemy intros instead of just the kanji and a bland subtitle, and they even romanised the karaoke lyrics so you can sing along!

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Feb 18, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Gaz-L posted:

Kiryu's is also helped by the fact that it's literally just "how he plays in the other games" so if you've played a previous game you'll have a decent grounding in how that works (I had forgotten that the dropkick used to bounce him back to a standing base, for instance, but it quickly came back).
Majima was only playable previously in a game where his main mode of attack was "shoot in head with shotgun", so it's harder to parse what moves he 'should' have unless you were obsessive about watching his boss patterns in the other games.

Can I also, on a totally different note, point out how great the localisation job Atlus did is? It's so nice having pretty English graphics for the enemy intros instead of just the kanji and a bland subtitle, and they even romanised the karaoke lyrics so you can sing along!
I've not played the older Yakuza games, but at least Kiryu's callback style is intuitive so has effectively replaced Brawler for me so far.

I will admit I'm pretty underwhelmed by Majima's ultimate style. An infinite durability knife with it's own set of special moves is sweet, but being at the far end of my base styles I'm more familiar with has just been so much better for me. "Okay, I could stab this random street encounter enemy god knows how many times with a KNIFE... Or I could one, two, three strikes you're out swing three fodder at once with Slugger".

I imagine that style gets far more impressive than the worst equippable knives once you've ground up enough CP and money to loop the ultimate grid a few times though. And it's super fun to just zip around stabbing everything. But I get way more mileage going back to what I know with the other styles for Majima.

My first big showing of Majima's style being bringing a knife to a Nishki fight probably did not help my initial opinions of it, either :v: "Man, he's so much better with knives than I am. Time to show them why rock beats scissors... Because bat's are blunt, and-gently caress it HOME RUN MOTHER FUCKER!"

Section Z fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Feb 18, 2017

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Daigo needs to not be in Yakuza 6. Actually, I'm tired of the Tojo clan as a whole. I'm hoping they really make good on the whole 'this is a brand new chunk of Japan' thing they had going on in the early announcements, but I'm not about to go digging and spoil myself even a little.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

Section Z posted:

I've not played the older Yakuza games, but at least Kiryu's callback style is intuitive so has effectively replaced Brawler for me so far.

I will admit I'm pretty underwhelmed by Majima's ultimate style. An infinite durability knife with it's own set of special moves is sweet, but being at the far end of my base styles I'm more familiar with has just been so much better for me. "Okay, I could stab this random street encounter enemy god knows how many times with a KNIFE... Or I could one, two, three strikes you're out swing three fodder at once with Slugger".

I imagine that style gets far more impressive than the worst equippable knives once you've ground up enough CP and money to loop the ultimate grid a few times though. And it's super fun to just zip around stabbing everything. But I get way more mileage going back to what I know with the other styles for Majima.

My first big showing of Majima's style being bringing a knife to a Nishki fight probably did not help my initial opinions of it, either :v: "Man, he's so much better with knives than I am. Time to show them why rock beats scissors... Because bat's are blunt, and-gently caress it HOME RUN MOTHER FUCKER!"

Majima's Mad Dog style is best used for the 3 person heat takedown available at one heat bar or higher (despite the in game screen showing you need to be at the 3rd heat bar) and for the counter knife attack (R1 stance + triangle when enemy attacks) available at any amount of heat meter, which you can get just by quick stepping.

The Mad Dog counter attack does a stupid amount of damage. I only had to counter Nishitani about 4 or 5 times to end the fight even on legend difficulty. Kiryu's 's Dragon style has two different counters which are both great but the elbow counter is only available at the 3rd heat bar while the grab sweep counter (R1 + circle when enemy attacks) is available at any point. Both do a high amount of damage.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Majima's 3-person heat takedown in his ultimate style is goddamn amazing.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Ryuga Death posted:

Majima's Mad Dog style is best used for the 3 person heat takedown available at one heat bar or higher (despite the in game screen showing you need to be at the 3rd heat bar) and for the counter knife attack (R1 stance + triangle when enemy attacks) available at any amount of heat meter, which you can get just by quick stepping.

The Mad Dog counter attack does a stupid amount of damage. I only had to counter Nishitani about 4 or 5 times to end the fight even on legend difficulty. Kiryu's 's Dragon style has two different counters which are both great but the elbow counter is only available at the 3rd heat bar while the grab sweep counter (R1 + circle when enemy attacks) is available at any point. Both do a high amount of damage.

And more importantly, kiryu's counters give huge amounts of heat.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Kiryu seems to have a new kind of counter where if you block at the exact moment an enemy attacks and press Triangle you do this jumping knee attack that does a ridiculous amount of damage

Managed to take down the final boss' last health bar just by accidentally mashing that one out

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

Section Z posted:

I'm just finally entering chapter 10 myself. But if you have not found it yet, there is an Unmarked Tiger and Dragon (And it remains unmarked) in the north west branch of that odd X criss cross alleys area which has the Vacant Lot™ So you can stock up on your own supply of affordable weapons for when the going gets rough. You cant send out agents with Kiryu, but you can Buy/Sell/Repair based on what Majima has unlocked.

Thank you! I'm playing NG+, and I wasn't aware of this until you pointed it out!

Edit: Is there any way to transfer weapons between characters? Kiryu has a SPARK 15000V which he can't even equip.

Lord_Pigeonbane fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 18, 2017

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

Edit: Is there any way to transfer weapons between characters? Kiryu has a SPARK 15000V which he can't even equip.

Can't you put them in Mr. Moneybags' shared item box? I haven't used it, but I thought it gave me the option when I looked at it.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

Thank you! I'm playing NG+, and I wasn't aware of this until you pointed it out!

Perfectly undestandable. I found it on accident, and like I said it never gets marked on your map even once you can use it. The fact it doesn't seem to unlock as a place that even exists until after you've played Majima some also doesn't help matters. It's off in it's own little corner that you never ever need to visit in particular even when returning to that area to visit the Empty Lot or the password guy vendor at the opposite end to the south.

The Diddler posted:

Can't you put them in Mr. Moneybags' shared item box? I haven't used it, but I thought it gave me the option when I looked at it.

At the very least, when you are able to access them early on you are only allowed to trade generic inventory items like stamina X and such. I don't know when it unlocks proper item sharing, probably way too late for it to matter like I hear uncapping money transfers does.

I'm in the middle of the double digits chapters and that means lots not being able to visit the investment people because I'm in the "wrong" city for it :v: "Sorry, Kiryu. Even though you're back home you still can't invest anything further till Majima withdraws his!"

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I don't believe you can swap weapons between protags, but once you get a weapon on one you unlock it in store for both.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
"Sophisticated Lad" is loving brilliant.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Section Z posted:

Perfectly undestandable. I found it on accident, and like I said it never gets marked on your map even once you can use it. The fact it doesn't seem to unlock as a place that even exists until after you've played Majima some also doesn't help matters. It's off in it's own little corner that you never ever need to visit in particular even when returning to that area to visit the Empty Lot or the password guy vendor at the opposite end to the south.

It shows on my map after I found it.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I'm downloading Yakuza 5 on my Demon's Souls box and I was wondering what I should look out for in terms of missable stuff.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I'm downloading Yakuza 5 on my Demon's Souls box and I was wondering what I should look out for in terms of missable stuff.

One thing i wish someone told me: try not to do ALL of the side stuff right away. Sidequests are the best way for you to rack up XP, and your level caps out at 20 at first. Once you hit that ceiling, you can train with Komaki later on to increase the cap to 25 for each character.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

CitizenKain posted:

It shows on my map after I found it.

Huh. I wonder what the trick to that is? Because it never does for me even though I've had both Kiryu and Majima go shopping there.

I'm talking about the one in the criss cross alleyway by the empty lot. The main store in Sotenbori has always shown up on the map for me. But not in the other town. Because ???

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
It's a very small store in a light shade of yellow that blends in with the other buildings in the area. It's easy to overlook.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

CharlestonJew posted:

Kiryu seems to have a new kind of counter where if you block at the exact moment an enemy attacks and press Triangle you do this jumping knee attack that does a ridiculous amount of damage

Managed to take down the final boss' last health bar just by accidentally mashing that one out
Is that the same one you buy in Brawler? I spent ages trying to get it to work by holding block and pressing triangle at various times during the block animation, the way the block counter works in every other Yakuza game. You're saying it only works if you hit L1 at exactly the right time?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
After unlocking a bunch of the fighting trees, I actually find Brawler to be the least useful. Beast is good fun for wrecking a whole group of randos at once, and once you get things like the Feint Punch and mid-combo dodges, Rush is great for tougher enemies.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

precision posted:

After unlocking a bunch of the fighting trees, I actually find Brawler to be the least useful. Beast is good fun for wrecking a whole group of randos at once, and once you get things like the Feint Punch and mid-combo dodges, Rush is great for tougher enemies.

I still have a soft spot for Brawler even though I've used it progressively less and less. For whatever reason, despite the benefits and extras of Dragon style, Brawler just feels like it flows better for me with it's basic combos.

So it's what I used for most of the final boss (when not surrounded by tables and dislocating shoulders :v:), even if it's overall fallen by the wayside for just saying gently caress it with Beast and the occasional Rush.

Holy poo poo I never remembered to use Beast's shoulder breaker until the final boss. But I got plenty of mileage out of the bear hug.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Feb 19, 2017

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Brawler has a really good counter attack that does more damage the less heat you have so it's a good way to quickly build heat plus it seems to connect/hit more often than the dragon style elbow counter.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Question for goons who've played RGG6 already, very important: Can Kiryu learn to do the Rainmaker from Okada?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Gaz-L posted:

Question for goons who've played RGG6 already, very important: Can Kiryu learn to do the Rainmaker from Okada?
There are actually no martial arts teachers or revelations or anything like that in 6. Unless I am mistaken, all techniques and everything are gained by leveling up.

6 has a really good story and the combat is greatly improved over all its predecessors but it is really low on extra content.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Awww :( The NJPW tie-in seemed like the obvious way to get new moves by Kiryu defeating each guy and learning one of his big moves in return.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Gaz-L posted:

Awww :( The NJPW tie-in seemed like the obvious way to get new moves by Kiryu defeating each guy and learning one of his big moves in return.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

so kiryu will learn how to gently caress around with turnbuckles

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

Has anyone cracked the code for using items to help with the gambling minigames?

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
I'm replaying the part where I need to gather information about the Odyssey, and I'd like to get the trophy for gathering all the info before negotiating. So far, I've talked to the guy on Bishamon bridge, and I've eavesdropped on the two guys just south of the Odyssey. There should be one more conversation that I need, but I haven't found it. Could anyone point me in the right direction?

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

I'm replaying the part where I need to gather information about the Odyssey, and I'd like to get the trophy for gathering all the info before negotiating. So far, I've talked to the guy on Bishamon bridge, and I've eavesdropped on the two guys just south of the Odyssey. There should be one more conversation that I need, but I haven't found it. Could anyone point me in the right direction?

There are two guys talking about Odyssey at the north part of the outdoor mall, just east of the pawn shop.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I just reached the start of chapter 5 and... that opening cutscene was unexpected. That and the conversation with Nishiki gave me a good laugh though.

Is this the chapter where property buying finally opens, or is that later on?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Oh this game good. There's been a slew of PS4 games I've been wanting to play (Nioh, Resident Evil 7, Horizon) and I had completely forgotten this was getting translated. I wasn't planning on buying any of those since I'm gonna gently caress my wallet when the Switch comes out, but I saw this on the shelf today and straight up got giddy. I don't have the attention span to blow entire days on video games anymore, let alone just one game, but that's exactly what I did.

I don't even remember hardly anything about Yakuza (I played 2 like, 10 years ago?) but I guess it doesn't matter much since this is a prequel. I'm just loving the sights and all there is to do in this HD Japan remaster of GTA Vice City. I'm already 10 hours in and I just cleared the first chapter for gently caress's sake.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

TheLoser posted:

Has anyone cracked the code for using items to help with the gambling minigames?

I had on one of the belly warmers, mew shoes, and a wallet and seemed to do better at cee-lo and cho-han. I saw a weapon with financial luck on it but couldn't make it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

KingShiro posted:

I had on one of the belly warmers, mew shoes, and a wallet and seemed to do better at cee-lo and cho-han. I saw a weapon with financial luck on it but couldn't make it.

I'm 99% sure 'financial luck' only increases the modifier (visible on the bottom of your menu screen) for how much money you get from fights.