Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Baronjutter posted:

Like, what parts did you like???

Worf's poem and Red Squad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

It's weird hearing people be all like "Oh yeah I love DS9 it was the best. But I hated all the ferrengi episodes, and bajor and bajorans were stupid and bothered me how many episodes revolved around them, and I hated Vic, and I hated the few holodeck episodes, and Ezri was terrible, and the dominion war went on too long, and I hated all of Dax's klingon adventures, and I randomly hate half the characters" Like, what parts did you like???

Peter Jurasik, duh.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Baronjutter posted:

It's weird hearing people be all like "Oh yeah I love DS9 it was the best. But I hated all the ferrengi episodes, and bajor and bajorans were stupid and bothered me how many episodes revolved around them, and I hated Vic, and I hated the few holodeck episodes, and Ezri was terrible, and the dominion war went on too long, and I hated all of Dax's klingon adventures, and I randomly hate half the characters" Like, what parts did you like???

I, too am unable to distinguish separate opinions from one another.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Baronjutter posted:

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

To be fair, that would mean we would be left with a show featuring Sisko, O'Brien, non-genetically engineered Bashir, Odo, Kira (how strict are we being about no Bajorans?), Garak, and Dukat.

I'd watch that show too.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Ezri Dax best Dax.

:colbert:

King Hong Kong posted:

To be fair, that would mean we would be left with a show featuring Sisko, O'Brien, non-genetically engineered Bashir, Odo, Kira (how strict are we being about no Bajorans?), Garak, and Dukat.

I'd watch that show too.

gently caress that sounds really good.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

WampaLord posted:

He once yelled at a Fallout developer for making New Vegas "wrong" because he hated that the direct path to Vegas was meant to be hard.

And it was true. After all, the developer that knows Fallout best didn't put those wrong mechanics when they made the next game in the series. It's interesting how New Vegas is basically the DS9 of modern Fallout, come to think of it. Did a lot of things differently, for good and (overall) ill.

Baronjutter posted:

I think it's that DS9 has a lot of different handholds for not liking it, many of which you cited. Nobody is saying they hate the entire thing, but there's something to dislike for everyone.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
If you watch just one Ferengi episode make it "The Magnificent Ferengi"

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Kibbles n Shits posted:

If you watch just one Ferengi episode make it "The Magnificent Ferengi"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VUxzpz0W2k

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

My favorite will always be My Dinner with Moogie

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I like the Ferengi episodes :colbert:

If there's any arc/episode type from DS9 that I don't like, it's mirror universe episodes.

Orv
May 4, 2011
But... Bashirhole.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Mirror episodes are cringeworthy because they turned the sexuality up to 11 then broke the knob to make it go even higher. It came off like they were written by 13 year old hormone blobs to jerk off to.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I'm just starting my first run through DS9 since it aired. I remember being really irritated during first run with all the setup for conflict with the Dominion and it just going nowhere for a long time. It'll be interesting to see how different it is for me this time.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Baronjutter posted:

Also yeah, DS9 was a perfectly successful show and I believe did better than Voyager, it just wasn't TNG successful which was an insane ratings phenomenon.
TNG wasn't just a ratings phenomenon, it was a goddamn cultural phenomenon. It was the 800lb gorilla of science fiction, and we will never again see its kind. The reboot BSG was probably as close as we've gotten.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I wouldn't say never. Game of Thrones has a similarly ubiquitous cultural presence and it's fuckin R-rated high fantasy. I doubt it will be another Star Trek show that achieves such a height though.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

skasion posted:

I wouldn't say never. Game of Thrones has a similarly ubiquitous cultural presence and it's fuckin R-rated high fantasy. I doubt it will be another Star Trek show that achieves such a height though.

If an actually competent organization like HBO or Netflix made and marketed it, it might approach TNG or GoT levels of cultural penetration

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Kazinsal posted:

Curzodo Dax best Dax.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

The Bloop posted:

If an actually competent organization like HBO or Netflix made and marketed it, it might approach TNG or GoT levels of cultural penetration

Probably not, since Rome, Deadwood, and similar HBO shows, while successful where nowhere near what GoT is. Got is a freak of nature that will probably not be duplicated as far as cultural penetration for such a hardcore show.

MrJacobs fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Feb 18, 2017

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Just saw Star Trek Beyond.

Not bad. It was a little weird to go from listening to 50 year mission book 1 on audiobook for an hour clawing my way back home through the rain commenting on what TOS was and remembering how sedate that show was to having Kirk and friends pretty much constantly fighting and surfing an exploding wave of drones with the Beastie Boys playing. Of course that doesn't stop me thinking of which song I'd pick to wreck their poo poo with :allears:.

I do love that the runt of the ST canon, ENT, got a lot of attention in this one. I'm really not sure why Edison was so pissed about though. He shouldn't have grown up with terror if the ENT pilot is to be believed, since they eliminated most of that by NX-01.Even then, he wants to bring back strife into humanity for...what purpose again? Make humanity great again? His motivation fell a little flat and felt more like grr I'm a bad guy. I guess you can chalk it up to the isolation.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Zesty Crab Legs posted:

Actually, Profit and Lace is good and worth watching.

Lmao

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

EvilTaytoMan posted:

IIRC it was the :techno: reason why Voyager's nacelles move when they go to warp.

The thing I never got about that is why they'd need to move in the first place. AFAIK the warp engines don't do anything at impulse, so why not have the nacelles in their warping positions all the time?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

MisterBibs posted:

Someone posted a chart concerning the ratings of all the shows. After TNG there's this one-moment spot with DS9's premier where it pinged higher than even TNG, followed by a massive downward collapse soon after. At that time and place, being the #1 syndicated show wasn't much of a thing. Where are you even getting this info?

This is the chart you're talking about and I was actually going to put it in my original post to help back up what I was saying:

Comparing it to TNG is ridiculous because TNG was an absurd ratings juggernaut. It's like Paramount bitching that JJTrek isn't pulling in Avengers money. It might be true, but it doesn't make it unsuccessful. Those ratings are perfectly good for the time it was airing and it was highly successful as a first run syndication show. This is what that downward slope is really showing:

quote:

I would advise you to read The Fifty Year Mission, because DS9 was never a ridiculously successful show, and they mention it. None of the post TNG shows were even close to as successful. Worf's addition to the show was a desperate attempt to get the ratings up, for example.

I know it's easier to blame the execs than the showrunners, but DS9's redheaded stepchild status is entirely due to the content of the shows.

I just finished reading The Fifty Year Mission a few weeks ago, dude. DS9 was backburnered (which, of course, was a blessing in disguise so I'm not complaining) literally because Voyager had the ship and so Voyager was going to be the flagship franchise show. Of course they also hoped that Voyager would pull in better ratings, but that was never in the cards because Voyager was stuck on UPN and the definition of successful was rapidly changing.

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Feb 18, 2017

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I mean, DS9 got 7 seasons, shows that are failures don't get 7 seasons.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

The thing I never got about that is why they'd need to move in the first place. AFAIK the warp engines don't do anything at impulse, so why not have the nacelles in their warping positions all the time?

Well, Voyager does have the impulse engines on the nacelle pylons. So it sort of makes sense in that context. Plus I always figured it was a budget thing. They said the F-14 was their inspiration, so I always assumed they meant for the angle to vary with warp factor. Same way the Tomcat's wings swept further back at higher speeds.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
People complained about the villain's apparent lack of motive beyond "REVENGE" in Beyond and found to be the movie's weak link.

I disagree. I felt like his motivations were more compelling than most people would give credit for.

Edison fought in the Romulan War. For the purpose of Beyond, it's kind of like World War II if we imagine the Federation being like Western democracies. Edison's anger at the Federation was not really from being "abandoned" by it, but seeing the Federation (which he ironically helped create by being a war hero) as an ideological monstrosity. Yorktown is a mini avatar of the Federation: Prosperous, diverse, cosmopolitan, and filled with technological wonder. Edison is like a proxy for all those who feel left behind by all the changes they lived through.

Old people don't like how the world is changing. They don't like the aliens moving in next door. They'll use technology, but they'll complain about it anyway. Tying Beyond's villain to the real life political climate of 2016 would be trite, but not necessarily wrong, to say the least.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Feb 18, 2017

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Q_res posted:

Well, Voyager does have the impulse engines on the nacelle pylons. So it sort of makes sense in that context. Plus I always figured it was a budget thing. They said the F-14 was their inspiration, so I always assumed they meant for the angle to vary with warp factor. Same way the Tomcat's wings swept further back at higher speeds.

Good point about the impulse engines, but I think that's kind of a weak excuse. Sure, on present-day spacecraft the engines have to be in a certain place (behind the centre of mass) in order to propel the craft forward without spinning, but I don't think that holds with Trek ships with their magic technology.

I had considered that the engine angle would vary with warp factor, but it was never shown so I wasn't sure why they bothered. I didn't know that a swing-wing fighter was a cited inspiration for Voyager, so it makes sense from that angle.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

WampaLord posted:

I mean, DS9 got 7 seasons, shows that are failures don't get 7 seasons.

[obligatory Walking Dead joke]

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Man, even Nemesis' opening title, done in 2002-style Diablo font, sucks.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Really difficult to define all the ways that Nemesis sucks. If ever a franchise deserved to be put out of its misery by a movie, it's this one. The Fifty-Year Mission spends a lot of time with people complaining about the director, who rubbed everyone on set the wrong way because he didn't give a poo poo about Star Trek. It didn't matter who the director was, the writing was basement-tier.

Rick Berman is quoted a lot as thinking highly of the director, but frankly if you read between the lines, Berman is still doing PR work for Star Trek. Face it, bozo, you hired a director on the cheap (a guy with two directing credits on also-ran movies, who never directed again). Rick heaps even more praise on the writer, who between himself and the rewrites by Brent Spiner and Patrick Stewart wrote one hell of a stinker.

- It blows me away that they cut 50 minutes out of the theatrical cut of this thing, because the third act is already twice as long as it should be. All this effort to re-do the Wrath of Khan nebula battle and they clearly had no idea how to do the pacing or the emotional beats on it.

- If they had cut all the Romulan characters, they would have saved themselves some embarrassingly bad plot resolutions and a lot of time. Conservatives in the Romulan Empire have assassinated the entire government and decided to attack the Federation, and then get upset that the new boss wants to use a superweapon to do it, so they turn babyface.

- The buggy sequence makes Gene Roddenberry spin in his grave so hard you could use him as an internal combustion engine. Gene was actually on record from the beginning as trying to prevent Star Trek from being used this way.

- Utter waste of Ron Pearlman, who usually livens up even really bad movies.

Four TNG movies, all of which they insisted on having black hats in, and they never brought back Sela or Lore (and let's face it, if they can bring back Denise Crosby they can bring back Evil Data).

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

TNG as well, thought Riker would be Sisko and Picard would be Odo. I'm not sure who is irresponsible enough to play it, Geordi? If one of the aliens was a babe maybe.

Wesley.
"Imma breed a sentient nanite civilization, oops I left the cap off"
"Mom look what I can do with a warp bubble, hey where'd you go?"
"Hey you want to try an astrobatic stunt that was banned for killing people?"
"Did those Edosians just tell me not to cross this barrier, gently caress it I want to catch the ball!"
"Ferrying a mysterious alien diplomat on a mission to end millennia of war, it's the perfect time to derail that to try and get my dick wet!"

E:
Or Pulaski.
"Double your risk, double your winnings! Haven't you figured it out yet, Doctor, the pieces are your friends and crewmates, the risks are theirs!"
"I knew that an hour ago. gently caress 'em, I aim to clean you out, sucker."

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Feb 18, 2017

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

dont even fink about it posted:

[obligatory Walking Dead joke]

Inexplicably, poo poo-tons of people still watch TWD, despite it being terrible. This proves that success =/= quality, but we already have plenty of examples.

Baronjutter posted:

Ferengi eps: good (except "Profit and Lace")
Bajor: alright
Vic: rad
Holodeck: I like fun, yes
Ezri: yes please
Dominion War: yes always and forever VICTORY IS LIFE
Dax n' Klingons: sure, I still like fun
Characters: Dax is usually boring, I guess? I literally can't think of another major character I consistently dislike
If I may add, Mirror Universe eps: ok, these are lame

:shrug:

I'm not saying DS9 is perfect, but I'm also not one to categorically complain about any of the above things (except for the MU). I think all of the examples you picked out aren't shared by the DS9 fans here at the same time. It's like you rolled a dozen different people's single complaints into one self-flagellating, fictitious DS9 fan.

MisterBibs posted:

And it was true. After all, the developer that knows Fallout best didn't put those wrong mechanics when they made the next game in the series. It's interesting how New Vegas is basically the DS9 of modern Fallout, come to think of it. Did a lot of things differently, for good and (overall) ill.

I think it's that DS9 has a lot of different handholds for not liking it, many of which you cited. Nobody is saying they hate the entire thing, but there's something to dislike for everyone.

I'm going to start a new game in New Vegas now just to spite the wrongness of this opinion. Vault 11 (a short, optional, independent quest) by itself is funnier and better written than anything in Fallout 4. 3 and 4 both don't capture the quality or tone of the writing of the original Fallout games, and they too loving easy. It's New Vegas or nothing if I want to play a modern Fallout game.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

dont even fink about it posted:

Rick Berman is quoted a lot as thinking highly of the director, but frankly if you read between the lines, Berman is still doing PR work for Star Trek. Face it, bozo, you hired a director on the cheap (a guy with two directing credits on also-ran movies, who never directed again).

The director was picked by the studio; he saved Mission Impossible... 2 (I think?) with a post-production re-cut and he was promised a directing gig as a reward. They gave him Nemesis. That was it for his directorial career.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

MikeJF posted:

The director was picked by the studio; he saved Mission Impossible... 2 (I think?) with a post-production re-cut and he was promised a directing gig as a reward. They gave him Nemesis. That was it for his directorial career.

Baird is actually a really good (academy award nominated) editor. He did The Omen, Die Hard 2, Demolition Man, more recently some of the Daniel Craig Bond movies. The directing gig was the reward for work he did on MI2 and the first Tomb Raider movie.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Good point about the impulse engines, but I think that's kind of a weak excuse. Sure, on present-day spacecraft the engines have to be in a certain place (behind the centre of mass) in order to propel the craft forward without spinning, but I don't think that holds with Trek ships with their magic technology.

I had considered that the engine angle would vary with warp factor, but it was never shown so I wasn't sure why they bothered. I didn't know that a swing-wing fighter was a cited inspiration for Voyager, so it makes sense from that angle.

The idea came up in the TNG technical manual, so it was one of those ideas like saucer separation that had been knocking around.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The Voyager nacelles might also move to help with atmosphere since it can land. Also as a science vessel aerodynamics might matter slightly in nebulae or the Badlands or whatever.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Frionnel's list of what's bad in DS9:
Profit and Lace
Everything to do with Pah-Wraiths
Ezri (She just needed more seasons)
Ezri and Bashir romance (or "if Worf hadn't shown up it would have been you" :rolleye:)
Sisko's mom and Sisko being Space Jesus out of nowhere

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Feb 18, 2017

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Frionnel posted:

Frionnel's list of what's bad in DS9:
Profit and Lace
Everything to do with Pah-Wraiths
Ezri (She just needed more seasons)
Ezri and Bashir romance (or "if Worf hadn't shown up it would have been you" :rolleye:)
Sisko's mom and Sisko being Space Jesus out of nowhere

Out of nowhere? It was literally the plot of the first episode.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Those who had been reading 50 year journey, did you get any info why Nemesis was such a poo poo show? I feel at its core was a fundamental misunderstanding of what people like about trek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

twistedmentat posted:

Those who had been reading 50 year journey, did you get any info why Nemesis was such a poo poo show? I feel at its core was a fundamental misunderstanding of what people like about trek.

The director didn't know poo poo about Trek and constantly ignored people trying to nudge him in the right direction. That's probably not the only reason, but a fairly big one.