Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

svenkatesh posted:

First post on SA - hiking the AT starting in mid-April!!

Hell yeah! Makes me happier knowing someone else is starting mid-April so there'll be some people around. Can't wait!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

It's so hard to suss out sarcasm sometimes

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

The GoLite founder who bankrupted his business is at again. The new company is called MyTrail - https://www.mytrailco.com so you might have some luck finding those GoLite style packs there again.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I need to wash like four dirty backpacks. Two are just normal filth and wear from two years of constant use, one I found in the woods and sat in the elements for at least 4 months, and one had like half a gram of hash oil leak all over it and the smell is just overpowering.

I don't have a slop sink and my washer is a small top loader. I can wait a month or two and do it in a tub outside if needed.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I'm sorry, I can never go without osprey AG(TM) technology. Just rob me.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

bongwizzard posted:

I need to wash like four dirty backpacks. Two are just normal filth and wear from two years of constant use, one I found in the woods and sat in the elements for at least 4 months, and one had like half a gram of hash oil leak all over it and the smell is just overpowering.

I don't have a slop sink and my washer is a small top loader. I can wait a month or two and do it in a tub outside if needed.

For mildew and oil, you'll probably want a few rounds with a spray bottle and sponge. Soaking could make it worse, and stuffing it in water won't make the oils magically disappear. In general, ...

Remove major debris with a garden hose, or walk around with it during a big rain storm, or scrub off the big chunks with a bristly brush, or drag it behind your car in a snow storm.

Then get in the shower with the thing and give it a baff.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Go buy a plastic tote (clearly big enough to hold your backpack) as a cheap and easy substitute for a chore sink. A high proportion vinegar bath should remove any mildew scent. I would recommend a decent scrub with some dish soap for any kind of grease. Be sure to rinse all the soap out. Then waterproof it with some spray on stuff.

If a vinegar bath can make my hockey gear smell like nothing then it should be more than good enough for a backpack. My packs have never been that dirty... usually just a wipe down with a wet rag is good enough after every trip. I waterproof them with spray on stuff yearly.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

For incredibly nasty poo poo I always go to the laundromat. You can pump in $3 worth of quarters and let their equipment get all gunked up and nasty. Plus it tends to be easier on the fabrics than a top load washing machine.

Also, Fels Naphtha soap. My kid gets his clothes beyond nasty, a couple of days with that stuff on the stain and it's clean as can be.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Trying to up my distance little by little. Just set a new PR with a 6.5 mile hike (1200ft gain) right outside of Denver. It's currently 65 F with zero snow in the foothills which is awesome.

Also, being new to hiking, what is the etiquette when meeting people on narrow trails? Does the person heading downhill typically have the right away, or the person heading uphill? Or does no one really give a poo poo either way?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Hughmoris posted:

Trying to up my distance little by little. Just set a new PR with a 6.5 mile hike (1200ft gain) right outside of Denver. It's currently 65 F with zero snow in the foothills which is awesome.

Also, being new to hiking, what is the etiquette when meeting people on narrow trails? Does the person heading downhill typically have the right away, or the person heading uphill? Or does no one really give a poo poo either way?

No one cares either way, in my experience, but inside my brain it makes sense for the person going up to defer to the person going down because they will likely move by faster. What usually happens is whoever gets to a part of the trail where they can easily stand aside first is the one who stands aside.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Hughmoris posted:

If you're going to be doing a lot of hiking in the Denver area you should shoot me a PM. The wife and I go fairly often and we are far from Ubermensch.

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

Hughmoris posted:

I'm not sure what the etiquette is, but typically when I'm going uphill I'm happy to yield to downhill traffic, and it seems that when I'm going downhill most uphill hikers are happy for a short break.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Hughmoris posted:

Congrats on the PR. That sounds like my perfect hiking weather.

Uphill has right of way. When you're powering up a big climb you don't want to stop and lose your steam. And if you do want to stop and breathe, that's your call.

As the downhill hiker, it's nice if you can give a "hello" so uphill knows you're there.

Whoever does step aside, try your hardest to Leave No Trace.

Always yield to horses and always step to the downhill side of the trail. This makes you look smaller and they're less likely to spook. Try to talk to the rider or your friends softly so the horse knows you're there.

Tigren fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 19, 2017

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Internet Explorer posted:

If you're going to be doing a lot of hiking in the Denver area you should shoot me a PM. The wife and I go fairly often and we are far from Ubermensch.

Will do! I'm definitely out of shape and slow but I'm getting better.

Tigren posted:

Congrats on the PR. That sounds like my perfect hiking weather.

Uphill has right of way. When you're powering up a big climb you don't want to stop and lose your steam. And if you do want to stop and breathe, that's your call.

As the downhill hiker, it's nice if you can give a "hello" so uphill knows you're there.

Whoever does step aside, try your hardest to Leave No Trace.

Always yield to horses and always step to the downhill side of the trail. This makes you look smaller and they're less likely to spook. Try to talk to the rider or your friends softly so the horse knows you're there.

This is great to know. Thanks!

sweet_jones
Jan 1, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

Likewise, I'm in Fort Collins but also trying to hike whenever winter acts like this.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
I am going to Rocky Mountain National Park in August and looking for a good day hike peak to do with my girlfriend. I have done a lot of high altitude treks and climbs, but she hasn't. I am trying to get her into it more. We are both in good shape. My biggest concern is getting caught above the tree line in a storm, so a good 7-10 mile climb with 2000-3000 feet of elevation gain which is mostly in the trees would be ideal. I read Mt. Ida is pretty good, any thoughts?

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Hughmoris posted:

Uphill parties always have the right of way.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Cheesemaster200 posted:

I am going to Rocky Mountain National Park in August and looking for a good day hike peak to do with my girlfriend. I have done a lot of high altitude treks and climbs, but she hasn't. I am trying to get her into it more. We are both in good shape. My biggest concern is getting caught above the tree line in a storm, so a good 7-10 mile climb with 2000-3000 feet of elevation gain which is mostly in the trees would be ideal. I read Mt. Ida is pretty good, any thoughts?

The thunderstorms are very real, so is the lightning.

When I was out there last, they were pretty reliable to start around 12 and last through 4pm. We were out in wild basin staying up at thunder lake. We went up to Boulder grand pass and got there around 11am. Our plan was to walk the ridge line and go to nearby Alice peak but the scramble up the pass took longer than we expected. Once up there, we saw clouds develop out of a bluebird sky and within about 30 minutes we were hit with wind, rain, then thunder, then lightning and hail. You definitely don't want to get stuck up on a high point when that starts up. Plan to hike up early and be back down to tree line around noon.

Most of the peaks seem to be above tree line so just be sure to start really early if you can.

Also, pay attention to her health. If altitude doesn't affect you that much, it might affect her. I'm in great shape but that Colorado altitude hits me hard every time where as my buddy doesn't seem to notice it at all. RMNP starts around 8500 and easily gets up to 10,000 pretty easily. It takes me at least 2-3 days to start feeling great above 10,000 feet.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
And it's worth saying again because holy moley how could anyone think otherwise: Uphill Always has the right of way. :rant:

Downhill has line of sight and ample opportunity to find a safe spot to pause. Uphill may be so focused on pace and breathing that they don't see you until it's too late. If uphills want a break, they are certainly free to claim it, or take it after they've passed. If I'm running down a hill, I usually forget to drink regularly, so I always take these passing chances to rehydrate.

I don't advocate paying no attention if you're going up a hill, but there's no way to escape simple physics. Anything above 45deg, minus how far down your head is hanging, will be outside your periphery.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Tigren posted:

Uphill has right of way.

remote control carnivore posted:

Uphill parties always have the right of way.

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Uphill Always has the right of way.

I don't know what self-appointed arbiter made this "rule" up but it's absolutely not a rule. Whoever wants and asks for the right of way should get it. I am usually trail running and moving faster than nearly everyone else I encounter - with plenty of warning I politely alert them to my presence and ask for the pass, and I expect to get it 100% of the time no matter which direction anyone is going.

gohuskies fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Feb 20, 2017

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
What, you yell "BEEP BEEP MOTHERFUCKER" and just keep running or something?

E: I mean, this idea of 'whoever asks first should get it' is silly. There are clear practical reasons why uphill has right of way.

theroachman fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Feb 20, 2017

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Wild Basin Trailhed hike to Thunder Lake

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

gohuskies posted:

I don't know what self-appointed arbiter made this "rule" up but it's absolutely not a rule. Whoever wants and asks for the right of way should get it. I am usually trail running and moving faster than nearly everyone else I encounter - with plenty of warning I politely alert them to my presence and ask for the pass, and I expect to get it 100% of the time no matter which direction anyone is going.

Agreed. I'm a fast hiker and follow the same guidelines. Though usually I can just take a few minute breather and let the opposite side side finish climbing.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

gohuskies posted:

I don't know what self-appointed arbiter made this "rule" up but it's absolutely not a rule.

It's a rule that like 95% of people follow and have for a whole lot longer than I've been alive. If you don't follow it you're not going to ruin anyone's day but that's the etiquette the majority of people will be following outdoors.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

gohuskies posted:

You must be one of the delightful folks I encounter on Barr Trail, who assume that they have ROW while going downhill, even though I'm carrying a 50# pack with an ice axe sticking out the top of it.

Uphill has right of way. Freedom of the Hills says it, I believe it, that settles it.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
"I'm moving faster so everyone should get the gently caress out of my way" is an odd way to think about it.

Generally I've never had any problems just being polite about it, whether I yield the right of way or they do, regardless of which direction we're traveling.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Y'all are talking about different kinds of trails anyway. Trail runners aren't on 45 degree slopes.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I was always taught that uphill has the right of way. I'm pretty sure I've even seen that on some trail signs at National Parks but I cant think of any specific examples of signage stating that off the top of my head.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
This is a great time to reflect on how many trail runners are unbelievably obnoxious. Worse than road cyclists half the time.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Sure, if you're doing some technical hike then giving the right of way to people going up makes sense. It doesn't seem like a big deal otherwise.

Like someone else said, it's often a good excuse to rest.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I was always taught that uphill has the right of way. I'm pretty sure I've even seen that on some trail signs at National Parks but I cant think of any specific examples of signage stating that off the top of my head.

That's because the US National Parks are partnered with the Leave No Trace Center for Outdoor Ethics who advocates for techniques to conserve nature and lessen the human impact. They have a nice Right of Way 101 on their site. The reasons for uphill ROW are pretty self evident if you have ever hiked up a steep incline, whatever that means to you. Many people are aware of trail ROW, but many are not and just chug right along. These are often the same who like to share their music with everyone else in the backcountry.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I sing loud Russian opera music while I hike and no one can stop me.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Tigren posted:

Many people are aware of trail ROW, but many are not and just chug right along. These are often the same who like to share their music with everyone else in the backcountry.

The loud music blasters are some of the most annoying and inconsiderate people around. Most people backpack, in part, for some piece and quiet. No one wants to listen your hippy jam band poo poo blasting through lovely bluetooth speakers. They're right up there with people who let their "well behaved" dogs off leash in parks despite rules that clearly state thats not allowed.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The wife and I snowshoed up to Mill's Lake in RMNP yesterday. Weather was great, no real wind to speak of.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

BaseballPCHiker posted:

The loud music blasters are some of the most annoying and inconsiderate people around. Most people backpack, in part, for some piece and quiet. No one wants to listen your hippy jam band poo poo blasting through lovely bluetooth speakers. They're right up there with people who let their "well behaved" dogs off leash in parks despite rules that clearly state thats not allowed.

yeah listen to your music with earphones if you need to listen to something.

Also, I love dogs, but dog owners are some of the most inconsiderate people and it's starting to drive me nuts. There are a few off leash OK trails around here and a lot of on leash only trails, but nearly everyone just lets their dog run around off leash and most of them are not under any kind of control. The NPS tried to update the rules to reduce the number of off leash areas and people flipped their poo poo, made a huge deal about how it was literally impossible to exercise their dogs if they weren't allowed to walk them off leash, and got a hold on some emails where someone in the rules process was critical of off leash dog walkers and blew it up into a big deal about how the process was biased and blah blah (the process doesn't really need to be unbiased tbh) and got the rules put on hold. Meanwhile I'm wonder who fuckign cares you're all just walk your dog off leash anyways no matter what the rules are, a ton of people won't pick up after their dogs, there will be dog fights, dogs getting in the way of other hikers and cyclists, and the response will be "yeah but those are only a very few people who do that!" which is bullshit because I'd say 75% of people walking dogs I see on trails that are leash only are actually walking their dogs off leash.

I care more about this than I should because my dog is not friendly towards other dogs and it is very hard to walk her around here with the number of people who think it's cool to let their dog off leash to roam 100 yards away from their owners. I had to yell at someone and their dog the other day because they were walking through my parking lot area with their dog off leash and they're dog sprinted away from them towards me and my dog. I hate looking like an rear end in a top hat yelling "NO, GET!' at someone's dog but I'd rather prevent a dog fight. I even called out to her before that to say "can you please put your dog on leash my dog isn't friendly towards other dogs" and she did nothing.

Ultimately I don't care too much if your dog is off leash if you have it under control...I've seen some great dogs while hiking or otherwise that are chill and stick next to their owners even when they see other dogs or people. But the majority of them are allowed to go nuts all over the place with the excuse of "oh they're friendly" and people are shocked that anyone could be so mean as to not want a strange dog flying towards them.

And the vast majority of dogs I encounter are not nearly as well behaved or under control as their owners would like them to be. When you're dog is 30 yards away and ignoring you standing there going "Come!" maybe shut the gently caress up and get over there and get your dog

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
So glad my dog and I have 1000+ acres to roam without worrying about people getting butthurt about if we're running too fast or triggering maladjusted dogs or what have you.

Also glad that all our state forests (at least nearby ones) are explicitly off leash areas.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I went out snowshoeing yesterday with a buddy of mine. It was my first time snowshoeing and I have to say it was a lot more fun than I thought it would be. We couldn't get to where we wanted due to avalanche risk so we turned back and took a different tail towards some waterfalls.

It was slick and slushy snow about a mile in to see the falls. I understand that 2 miles isn't much of a hike but I'm blown away by what people wear to hike in the winter.

The road was closed so you have to walk in a ways making it nearly 4 miles round trip. Then it's over the knee deep snow if you step off the trail. In towards the waterfall there's a steep 100' descent to get down to the falls. The worst part, some family decided it was just easier to slide down it on their assess making it essentially a smooth icy slide. So of course everyone else behind them does the same. Then they realize they couldn't get back up. The other stupid part, if you slid 1 foot to the left, you were falling off the snow ledge and going into the river. The hike had a really steep fall to one side the entire hike.

My buddy and I had an ice axe from our earlier failed trip. We kick stepped across the steep wall building zigzag steps across the steep section and got down. It was so terribly easy for someone to slip and fall and get hurt.

People were in jeans and tennis shoes, shoulder purses, fashion flat sole boots, yoga pants. I get it, it's an easy hike in dry conditions. But this trail was slick as poo poo since the snow got slushy.

A family approached the wall on snowshoes and the dad decided that was far enough when his son (maybe 6) slipped and fell down the slope towards towards the river. The dad caught him and pulled him back up. If they weren't holding hands that kid would have plinko'd his way down off every tree and into a freezing river. The mom balked and told him they were making it all the way to the waterfall. We left because I didn't want to see anyone get hurt.

People are idiots, and it's no wonder search and rescue gets called on the easiest of hikes.

Other than that, snowshoeing is fun.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Levitate posted:

Dog Words

I'm a dog owner and I love dogs in general, but holy poo poo are other/most owners awful. Leash laws in parks are there for a reason. Besides the obvious of keeping them on a leash to avoid them running up to hikers and bikers, and getting in the way, they can destroy some pristine habitat if allowed to roam freely in large enough numbers. I've seen nearby parks get dug up like someone is hiding nazi gold from dogs digging at burrowing animals or something that smells interesting to them. Plus I count count how many times I've personally seen a dog drop a huge steamer 10-15 feet away from their owner, who is to much of a lazy sack of poo poo to bushwack over and pick it up.

When someones "well trained" dog SPRINTS toward me and my leashed dog I can even get on edge. I dont know if the dog is friendly or not, and my dog will predictably be wary because she's leashed. My dog is fine at dog parks if she's off leash but dont be surprised or angry if my dog growls or snips at your dog when they run right at someone. I think most dogs are like that.

In the last two years I can count on one hand the number of dogs I've seen off leash who were truly well behaved and had responsible owners. They came when called by the owner immediately, who then leashed them as we approached, and didnt approach my dog or myself in an aggressive or rude way.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

bonds0097 posted:

So glad my dog and I have 1000+ acres to roam without worrying about people getting butthurt about if we're running too fast or triggering maladjusted dogs or what have you.

Also glad that all our state forests (at least nearby ones) are explicitly off leash areas.

It's cool if it's specifically off leash area, I'll avoid those areas, no problem. I'm talking about city streets and specifically on leash trails.

I can control my dog even if she doesn't like other dogs. I can't control other peoples dogs. If your dog starts a dog fight you're paying the vet bills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

bonds0097 posted:

And thats fine. If your dog is off-leash in an approved off-leash area I have no problems with that. My dog will be off leash then and there will be way less tension when the dogs meet, and I'll be sticking close to pick up after her. It's when an off-leash dog is in a park or area that explicitly states they need to be on a leash that I take issue with.