Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Removing Darude's scarf legitimately makes me sad.

Edit: RIP jekk. Big combrei can basically stomp the entire campaign. Took some tries on jekk however.

ShaneB fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
Drafted 4 executes and saw one in four games

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Decided to craft a bandit queen the other day when I realized I only needed 1 to finish up a Jito deck, without really looking at the new cards from the campaign. Played it some just now. Good lord is Copperhall Bailiff complete murder to play against with Jito. As if most justice decks weren't already house against Jito. Guess I'm going back to Combrei.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Master rewards are 3 packs and a premium legendary now (whoa).

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

No Wave posted:

Master rewards are 3 packs and a premium legendary now (whoa).

welp time to finish that draft grind

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
So I dunno if anyone's got the new cards and wants to play with Niktotraxian this list has actually been doing pretty well for me, though I think everyone else in master may be loving about with brews as well. It's got some issues with Relic Weapons, but if its not a dedicated armory deck you can usually hang. Won 8 of the last 10, so it's been fun.

4 Seek Power (Set1 #408)
4 Torch (Set1 #8)
4 Find the Way (Set1 #513)
4 Lightning Storm (Set1 #206)
2 Decay (Set1 #95)
4 Eye of Winter (Set1 #210)
4 Plague (Set1 #274)
4 Wisdom of the Elders (Set1 #218)
4 Harsh Rule (Set1 #172)
1 Staff of Stories (Set1 #234)
4 Stray into Shadow (Set1001 #9)
3 Stronghold's Visage (Set1 #339)
2 Celestial Omen (Set1 #241)
1 Passage of Eons (Set1001 #3)
4 Nictotraxian (Set1001 #16)
1 Scourge of Frosthome (Set1 #248)
2 Fire Sigil (Set1 #1)
2 Justice Sigil (Set1 #126)
3 Primal Sigil (Set1 #187)
2 Shadow Sigil (Set1 #249)
2 Time Sigil (Set1 #63)
2 Seat of Cunning (Set0 #62)
2 Seat of Fury (Set0 #53)
1 Seat of Glory (Set0 #56)
1 Seat of Mystery (Set0 #61)
2 Seat of Order (Set0 #51)
1 Seat of Progress (Set0 #58)
1 Seat of Vengeance (Set0 #55)
4 Seat of Wisdom (Set0 #63)

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

That expansion was incredibly blah. Extremely linear and the boss mechanics barely existed, and the few that did like the grenadins were absurdly easy. Lol at Eternal releasing its HS adventure ripoff the day HS announces it's no longer doing adventures. Level design isn't their forte, why bother, just make more cards.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I had fun, but the cards mixing up the environment I'm looking forward to as well. Nikto is continuing to be surprisingly good. Scourge of Frosthome is better.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Yeah the adventure itself was blah. No real character. But it was basically a way to get some cash and I look at all of this as experimentation. I still love the game quite a bit.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
Easiest 7-0 of my life, pretty sure this deck is about as good as you can get for feln.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

I want to make dinosaur tribal work but its so slow and there's barely any room for removal. Back to gold I go.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I was playing against Dinosaur tribal with my durdly as hell nicto list (see my previous posts) and had them mostly locked down by three eyes of winter, waiting for one more creature before I fire off one of the 10 million board sweepers in my hand and laugh my way to an easy victory against their stupid deck. At 8 mana they fired off Scourge of Frosthome, thanks to 2 frozen Patriarchs. I yelled at my screen "You can't do that! That's MY card!" but alas Dinosaur tribal does include Scourge. I never drew a spell I could cast, and some echoing fatties devoured me shortly thereafter. So I don't know if the deck is viable at all, but it can at least steal a game in hilarious fashion.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Now seems like an easy time to climb the ladder. Just hit top 10 playing a fairly typical big combrei deck after stalling at around 40 with feln control (which I'm going back to as soon as I unlock the new cards...)

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

EvilMike posted:

Now seems like an easy time to climb the ladder. Just hit top 10 playing a fairly typical big combrei deck after stalling at around 40 with feln control (which I'm going back to as soon as I unlock the new cards...)
I'm seeing a ton of Feln Control at high Diamond right now, do you have a good list? It seems like it picked up a lot with the new sweeper.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Does Feln Control just always stomp Combrei? Because I have a hell of a time against it when I play Combrei.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

ShaneB posted:

Does Feln Control just always stomp Combrei? Because I have a hell of a time against it when I play Combrei.

Unless you can counter their sweeper combo with Aegis, you just get rolled.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

ShaneB posted:

The matchup definitely feels worse now than it was before, and it wasn't great before (from the Combrei side).

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

It just seems like only Shadow can really remove their units, as they don't die to torch or vanquish, and silencing still leaves a big body.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

standard.deviant posted:

I'm seeing a ton of Feln Control at high Diamond right now, do you have a good list? It seems like it picked up a lot with the new sweeper.

Here's the list I was running. It's outdated now though.

2 Seek Power (Set1 #408)
2 Suffocate (Set1 #251)
3 Annihilate (Set1 #269)
2 Eilyn's Favor (Set0 #24)
4 Lightning Storm (Set1 #206)
2 Lightning Strike (Set1 #197)
4 Vara's Favor (Set0 #35)
4 Feln Bloodcaster (Set1 #386)
4 Deathstrike (Set1 #290)
4 Steward of the Past (Set1 #287)
3 Champion of Cunning (Set1 #371)
2 Staff of Stories (Set1 #234)
3 Withering Witch (Set1 #368)
4 Black-Sky Harbinger (Set1 #385)
1 Celestial Omen (Set1 #241)
1 Azindel's Gift (Set1 #306)
9 Primal Sigil (Set1 #187)
9 Shadow Sigil (Set1 #249)
4 Feln Banner (Set1 #417)
4 Seat of Cunning (Set0 #62)

No permafrosts, since I find it tends to just get silenced, and wishing I had used some other removal spell instead. In fact this deck might be a bit light on direct removal in general, because I prefer to rely on sweepers, or even vara's favour with withering witch. Often this means leaving a big threat on the board and just eating the damage, until I'm able to kill several enemy units at once. I dont care too much about damage if I think I can heal it back, and I'm not playing against a deck known for burst damage. Because of that, 4x black-sky harbinger is absolutely needed.

I run 2 lightning strikes mostly to use against relic weapons, but it can be good against some other targets too. Overall though, armory is a bad matchup and I think it's better to just eat the losses than to start teching in cards like sabotage.

The main win condition is champion of cunning. You usually shouldn't play this unless you have enough influence to activate it's aegis (and preferably both its powers). If you're playing against a justice deck, you should expect to get vanquished. In general the first champion you play is going to eat removal, but at least with aegis it can force your opponent into going 2 for 1. Once they are out of cards or just seem unlikely to have removal left, you can build up a huge board of mega buffed units. 2x champion of chaos gets ridiculous fast, especially.

Azindel's gift is another win condition, although I run it mainly to troll people, to be honest. Note that people tend to see it coming once you cast celestial omen, so cast that as an instant whenever you can.

Staff of stories is a bit weird to run 2 of, but I find myself liking it. I also like how it freaks people out and start getting them to throw everything at you. If they flood the board with units to get past your blockers, you can try to follow it up with a board sweep. And if they spend a bunch of removal to try to kill your staff, that's going to help your champions of cunning later on in the game. So overall I usually don't care if I only draw 2 cards with the staff (or 0 cards, if I eat 3 torches or something like that).

I find combrei to be a pretty good matchup, just know how to play around harsh rule and wasp. There's only 1 vanquish target here and it has aegis, and enough board sweeps to deal with anything problematic. The real hard matchups are anything that runs a lot of aegis and armory decks.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
First 7 draft win (two losses)! My second last opponent made a hilarious misplay that cost them the game and my last opponent didn't do anything at all, but I'll take it.

Here's the deck:

I didn't feel too good while drafting it but I guess it turned out ok.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

netcat posted:

First 7 draft win (two losses)! My second last opponent made a hilarious misplay that cost them the game and my last opponent didn't do anything at all, but I'll take it.

Here's the deck:

I didn't feel too good while drafting it but I guess it turned out ok.
I'm glad it went 7-2, but I'm not convinced about splashing Warband Chieftan - and even if you did, a single fire sigil would be fine as you'd have four draws for fire influence in the deck, more than enough.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

No Wave posted:

I'm glad it went 7-2, but I'm not convinced about splashing Warband Chieftan - and even if you did, a single fire sigil would be fine as you'd have four draws for fire influence in the deck, more than enough.

I honestly didn't really have enough playables as it was, the draft was a bit of a trainwreck. Though he did do a ton of work when I played him and he seemed like an easy enough splash to me. And yeah I can def. have run fewer fire sigils, I got screwed a couple of times thanks to drawing them instead of blue or purple.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Having literally played the 5 tutorial campaigns and nothing else, what's the best thing to grind my newbie decks against to get more/better cards?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Ghost of Starman posted:

Having literally played the 5 tutorial campaigns and nothing else, what's the best thing to grind my newbie decks against to get more/better cards?

Gauntlet to master forge to master.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
I was worried my "literally just the Justice and Time decks smooshed together" deck wouldn't hack it, but it got me at least one silver chest. :shobon:

Anybody have any suggestions for other easy "two newbie decks" combinations? Or is it hard to go wrong?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Green and red

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
yes, you can make an acceptable cheap rakano (green red) deck pretty much right away

warcry is really good against the AI

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

The AI falls for every trick in the book, so if you're just doing Gauntlet or Forge you want lots of fast spells to win combat.

Here's a budget Rakano that has only commons/uncommons and is easy to grind with:

4 Elder's Feather (Set1 #128)
4 Finest Hour (Set1 #130)
4 Oni Ronin (Set1 #13)
4 Torch (Set1 #8)
4 Crownwatch Paladin (Set1 #139)
4 Ornate Katana (Set1 #23)
4 Rakano Outlaw (Set1 #20)
4 Vanquish (Set1 #143)
4 Crownwatch Deserter (Set1 #316)
2 Gilded Glaive (Set1 #125)
4 Silverwing Familiar (Set1 #152)
4 Sword of Icaria (Set1 #315)
3 Morningstar (Set1 #510)
7 Fire Sigil (Set1 #1)
5 Justice Sigil (Set1 #126)
4 Diplomatic Seal (Set1 #425)
2 Emerald Monument (Set1 #422)
4 Rakano Banner (Set1 #427)
4 Seat of Glory (Set0 #56)

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

EvilMike posted:

I find combrei to be a pretty good matchup, just know how to play around harsh rule and wasp. There's only 1 vanquish target here and it has aegis, and enough board sweeps to deal with anything problematic. The real hard matchups are anything that runs a lot of aegis and armory decks.
Thanks! I put together this list, pulled a few cards to fit in 3 of the new sweeper, and peeled off 8 wins in a row to put me into Master. Combrei felt super easy, and the Eilyn's Favor, lifegain, and Stewards made Stonescar more tolerable. The one Armory deck I played against stumbled a little, got his one relic weapon Lightninged away, and then I buried him under 3/5s. I'm sure I didn't make an optimal build (cut a lightning storm/witch/something random), and there was definitely some luck there, but it feels really good right now.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

standard.deviant posted:

Thanks! I put together this list, pulled a few cards to fit in 3 of the new sweeper, and peeled off 8 wins in a row to put me into Master. Combrei felt super easy, and the Eilyn's Favor, lifegain, and Stewards made Stonescar more tolerable. The one Armory deck I played against stumbled a little, got his one relic weapon Lightninged away, and then I buried him under 3/5s. I'm sure I didn't make an optimal build (cut a lightning storm/witch/something random), and there was definitely some luck there, but it feels really good right now.

Curious to see what your version looks like.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I'm going to make master in draft if it kills me. And it might. I didn't hit a time sigil in 15 cards. Odds with 9 in my deck? 1.6%

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

EvilMike posted:

Curious to see what your version looks like.
Literally just the one set of swaps, probably still needs work.

2 Seek Power (Set1 #408)
2 Suffocate (Set1 #251)
3 Annihilate (Set1 #269)
2 Eilyn's Favor (Set0 #24)
3 Lightning Storm (Set1 #206)
2 Lightning Strike (Set1 #197)
4 Vara's Favor (Set0 #35)
4 Feln Bloodcaster (Set1 #386)
4 Deathstrike (Set1 #290)
4 Steward of the Past (Set1 #287)
3 Champion of Cunning (Set1 #371)
2 Staff of Stories (Set1 #234)
3 Stray into Shadow (Set1001 #9)
1 Withering Witch (Set1 #368)
4 Black-Sky Harbinger (Set1 #385)
1 Celestial Omen (Set1 #241)
1 Azindel's Gift (Set1 #306)
9 Primal Sigil (Set1 #187)
9 Shadow Sigil (Set1 #249)
4 Feln Banner (Set1 #417)
4 Seat of Cunning (Set0 #62)

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
False Prince is probably actually terrible in constructed play but I can't help but love that guy. He seems to catch a lot of ppl in the lower ranks by surprise at any rate.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Yea I love him because generally most don't have many spells and it has to suck to blow it on him.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
Unexpectedly I got a back-to-back draft win with this pile:

never drew the dragon though :rip:

Edly
Jun 1, 2007
:toot: Had to screenshot in the middle of a draft run before I hosed this up.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

standard.deviant posted:

Literally just the one set of swaps, probably still needs work.

Not a fan of cutting down witch to a 1-of, or running less than 2 lightning storms. I could see running 2 witch and 2 stray into shadow though. I just think it's too useful to be able to reduce the whole enemy board to 1 hp. And in general I like to avoid running 1 of a card, unless it's one that really doesn't make sense to have multiples of. For example I think staff of stories is reasonable to run 1 of because you can't exactly use 2 at once. The 2 I had in the original decklist I posted was a bit experimental.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
There's nothing more annoying than going up against someone's loving Whispers of the Void deck and losing because you drew 4 minions the entire time in a stonescar aggro deck.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

rumble in the bunghole posted:

There's nothing more annoying than going up against someone's loving Whispers of the Void deck and losing because you drew 4 minions the entire time in a stonescar aggro deck.

Actually, that's losing against decks (three in a row) that play 150+ cards and still manage to draw perfectly somehow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

EvilMike posted:

Not a fan of cutting down witch to a 1-of, or running less than 2 lightning storms. I could see running 2 witch and 2 stray into shadow though. I just think it's too useful to be able to reduce the whole enemy board to 1 hp. And in general I like to avoid running 1 of a card, unless it's one that really doesn't make sense to have multiples of. For example I think staff of stories is reasonable to run 1 of because you can't exactly use 2 at once. The 2 I had in the original decklist I posted was a bit experimental.
I cut one storm, still playing 3. I think Witch vs second Staff is up to what you're seeing more of in the meta. All weekend I've been seeing a ton of control, so I definitely want 2 Staff. I might cut a Stray for a Witch and do a 2/2 split.