Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
How is SNL still on air, they haven't been funny in years, just as they've not had any talent to speak of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

I've only seen one recent skit of theirs (where the woman who normally plays Clinton played as Angela Merkel) and it was dreadful, like literally every joke falling flat, and the Merkel impression was so bad that it almost looped back to being impressive again.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Skit comedy on TV in general is kinda of a dying genre. There are more interesting ways to be funny, if you wanna do a dumb skit put it on youtube.

I base this on nothing really, just my take on the pulse of society. :angel:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Hey, that might be an unpopular opinion: I have never found SNL funny and SCTV was always the superior sketch comedy show.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I'm fine with SNL constantly doing milquetoast anti-Trump stuff because we know he watches SNL and gets mad at it. And anything that gets Trump mad is generally a good thing.

Also SNL hasn't been good in nearly 30 years anyway.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

How is SNL still on air, they haven't been funny in years, just as they've not had any talent to speak of.

I have bad news if you think being unfunny would get a network show canceled

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Das Boo posted:

Hey, that might be an unpopular opinion: I have never found SNL funny and SCTV was always the superior sketch comedy show.

Agreed. I always figured the people spooging over how funny it used to be were just high as balls at the time and would have laughed at a potted plant. It's always been roughly 5% funny, 50% boring and the rest is cringingly anti-funny, even back in the 'golden era'.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

The Digital Shorts surge of popularity just proved that YouTube is a much better platform for SNL-type skits. People would much rather watch "the good sketches" online the next day, not sit down and watch a bunch of mostly poo poo skits with mostly poo poo musical guests.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Most classic sketch shows are viewed through rose colored glasses and remembered fondly through Internet lists outlining the funniest and most memorable skits only. No one ever revisits said shows in their entirety or at least the majority and remembers the bad unfunny filler sketches that permeate each show, which is roughly about 90%.

I remember buying the In Living Color DVDs way back when because I thought the show was the poo poo back in the day. Turns out it's mainly poo poo, not the poo poo.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

doverhog posted:

Skit comedy on TV in general is kinda of a dying genre. There are more interesting ways to be funny, if you wanna do a dumb skit put it on youtube.

I base this on nothing really, just my take on the pulse of society. :angel:

yeah but good luck because like 95% of those are awful parodies of the "dear sister" skit

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

You Are A Elf posted:

Most classic sketch shows are viewed through rose colored glasses and remembered fondly through Internet lists outlining the funniest and most memorable skits only. No one ever revisits said shows in their entirety or at least the majority and remembers the bad unfunny filler sketches that permeate each show, which is roughly about 90%.

I remember buying the In Living Color DVDs way back when because I thought the show was the poo poo back in the day. Turns out it's mainly poo poo, not the poo poo.

Normally I'd say you're correct but Upright Citizens Brigade exists on DVD and is pretty much the best still

Spinning Robo
Apr 17, 2007
anything that made me laugh as hard as celebrity jeopardy does cant be all bad

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I liked Mad TV more than SNL in general anyway, although I have a feeling if I went back and watched it I'd be wondering why I liked either of them.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

SNL was never consistently funny. Ever. Even in its "golden age" there was maybe two funny skits in a month and everything else was garbage. There's a reason the "best of" episodes are all the same 10 skits spanning several decades.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The recent Aziz Ansari hosted episode was good. I don't think anyone is meant to actually sit down and watch a full 90 minute episode of SNL. It's why they put all the individual skits on youtube. There's usually a handful of sketches that are really good a year.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I'm fine with SNL constantly doing milquetoast anti-Trump stuff because we know he watches SNL and gets mad at it. And anything that gets Trump mad is generally a good thing.

Doesn't he have access to a nuclear option now?

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Here is a Finnish TV skit about Trump on youtube for your enjoyment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0Ymr9E7u1Y

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i just don't think doing an impersonation of someone is funny, or a joke.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

spit on my clit posted:

Well NBC disagrees!

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

spit on my clit posted:

It can be amusing if they are well-done/convincing, but Alec Baldwin's Trump impression is bad and the lady who does Hillary Clinton is even worse. The Spicer one is way off to me too. It's like political cartoon caricatures - you know who they're supposed to be, but the only reason you believe they are pretending to be that person is that they tell you they are, not because it's a good/accurate portrayal.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

You Are A Elf posted:

God, Monty Python.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

doverhog posted:

Here is a Finnish TV skit about Trump on youtube for your enjoyment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0Ymr9E7u1Y

Literally all good Finnish actors are either dead or retired. And the last good Finnish comedy writer was English.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

God, Monty Python.

First thing I thought of (besides In Living Color) as I typed that up.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

In hind-sight anything actually good that was pioneering at the time seems like the worst thing ever because all the good stuff gets copied ad nauseam.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Movies and tv shows that arnt accurate portrayls of real life stories or explicitly fantastical are a waste of time.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Jerry Cotton posted:

Literally all good Finnish actors are either dead or retired. And the last good Finnish comedy writer was English.

I didn't say it was good. :confuoot:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

doverhog posted:

I didn't say it was good. :confuoot:

No that was my unpopular opinion. I didn't even watch the bit.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

yeah I eat rear end posted:

It can be amusing if they are well-done/convincing, but Alec Baldwin's Trump impression is bad and the lady who does Hillary Clinton is even worse. The Spicer one is way off to me too. It's like political cartoon caricatures - you know who they're supposed to be, but the only reason you believe they are pretending to be that person is that they tell you they are, not because it's a good/accurate portrayal.

The lady who does Clinton isn't bad but she's changed it over time to be basically a caricature of a caricature. Which is usually how people doing longterm impressions of people work so I can't fault her for that, you kind of make your own character out of it. Phil Hartman and Farrel Hammond did it with Bill Clinton, Will Ferrell did it with George W. and Fans Carvey did it with H. W.

they all started out as relatively straight impersonations and then branched off into their own thing

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Will Sasso as Elvis Presley was good.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Aesop Poprock posted:

The lady who does Clinton isn't bad but she's changed it over time to be basically a caricature of a caricature. Which is usually how people doing longterm impressions of people work so I can't fault her for that, you kind of make your own character out of it. Phil Hartman and Farrel Hammond did it with Bill Clinton, Will Ferrell did it with George W. and Fans Carvey did it with H. W.

they all started out as relatively straight impersonations and then branched off into their own thing

I'm not a fan of Baldwin's though cause I don't feel like the impersonator should totally hate the object of the impersonation and Baldwin is obviously just trying his best to skewer him. Tina Feys impersonation of Palin was damaging but I never felt like Fey hates Palin as a person

E:whoops quote isn't edit

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Will Sasso as Kenny Rogers in Jackass was also good.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Aesop Poprock posted:

I'm not a fan of Baldwin's though cause I don't feel like the impersonator should totally hate the object of the impersonation and Baldwin is obviously just trying his best to skewer him. Tina Feys impersonation of Palin was damaging but I never felt like Fey hates Palin as a person

E:whoops quote isn't edit

In this case the punchline is Trump's reaction to the joke. He's deliberately pissing off Trump for just that reason.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ToxicSlurpee posted:

In this case the punchline is Trump's reaction to the joke. He's deliberately pissing off Trump for just that reason.

I can appreciate that but pissing Trump off is as easy as tweeting about him, it's not like you have to spend 20 mins of a show on it

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Plus it's missing the point of being a comedy show. The funny is supposed to happen in the show, not on twitter/in the news.

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy
11-14 year old me loved MadTV and Will Sasso. Whatever happened to that guy?

Breakfast Burrito
Aug 8, 2007

genetic_knockout posted:

11-14 year old me loved MadTV and Will Sasso. Whatever happened to that guy?

this should answer your question

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ7dyaPeReY

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I was just gonna make fun of him for being in the 3 Stooges movie but apparently my sense of humor is malfunctioning because Will Sasso spontaneously throwing up whole lemons is killing me

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I consider any and all insults directed towards me to be an attempt to coerce me into suicide. Therefore, for me to murder people who insult me should be considered self-defense. :colbert:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Aesop Poprock posted:

I was just gonna make fun of him for being in the 3 Stooges movie but apparently my sense of humor is malfunctioning because Will Sasso spontaneously throwing up whole lemons is killing me

Will Sasso more like would Sasso.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Aesop Poprock posted:

Didn't Darryl Hammond come back and play Trump before Baldwin? His Trump was better than Baldwin's. But from what I understand, Trump didn't complain about Hammond like he does Baldwin so that's why they keep bringing Baldwin back.