Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

InitialDave posted:

Ah, you meant the autos. Yeah, they'll give you a lot of options.

Note you can get adaptors to mate things like TH400s to the Rover LT230 transfer case (and the series one, too, actually, they're both pretty strong), so your options really are very open - like Overfinch slapping SBCs into RRCs.

Theres a guy on pirate that ran a modified ls powered truggy to a lt230. him and ashcroft worked together to develop the ATB center diff as he was blowing up center diffs in open CDL awd mode. We're talking KOH competition vehicle, not some chelsea chariot.

Turns out wheel spin with high HP causes oiling issues from centrifugal force with the center diff, but not a problem locked as the spiders aren't used... Its really an awesome case with a bunch of horseshit bolted to it in factory trim...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingPave
Jul 18, 2007
eeee!~

Crustashio posted:

I hate FB links but I couldn't find this on YT. Guy drives the hell out of an EG civic at bathurst.

https://www.facebook.com/kaidoallstars/videos/1861106010833905/

Then incar of the whole race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXPEJVHsi_k

Because I got bored, I went hunting and found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCeF-bZK684

Full video of the race, goddamn he drives that car well.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

KingPave posted:

Because I got bored, I went hunting and found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCeF-bZK684

Next time we see somebody with a stupid aftermarket wing on their [street driven] FWD car we link them this video and explain that unless they drive like this guy they should hide their shame.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cursedshitbox posted:

Theres a guy on pirate that ran a modified ls powered truggy to a lt230. him and ashcroft worked together to develop the ATB center diff as he was blowing up center diffs in open CDL awd mode. We're talking KOH competition vehicle, not some chelsea chariot.

Turns out wheel spin with high HP causes oiling issues from centrifugal force with the center diff, but not a problem locked as the spiders aren't used... Its really an awesome case with a bunch of horseshit bolted to it in factory trim...
Yeah, though that's hardly a damning offence, it's kind of inherent to the design of a standard differential, but will be exacerbated by the higher RPM seen in the transfer case compared to an axle.

We don't talk about the viscous coupling RRCs, though.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

A truly unreal amount of Japanese goodness sat in Virginia...

http://jalopnik.com/have-your-mind-...dium=socialflow

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

KingPave posted:

gently caress me that's some good driving in the Civic.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Holy gently caress I'm buying a Beat.

For serious, look at this beauty
http://www.duncanimports.com/used/Honda/1991-Honda-Beat-4cedc8730a0e08bc32fa419832c7aff3.htm

These things had lawn mower engines right?

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Feb 18, 2017

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Rhyno posted:

Holy gently caress I'm buying a Beat.

For serious, look at this beauty
http://www.duncanimports.com/used/Honda/1991-Honda-Beat-4cedc8730a0e08bc32fa419832c7aff3.htm

It's a kei car.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Olympic Mathlete posted:

:psyduck:

That's insane in the best way. Those GT-Rs are classics now, right?

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
A local guy that imports cars had a Beat earlier this year and if I wasn't tall and fat I would have been all over it

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Memento posted:

:psyduck:

That's insane in the best way. Those GT-Rs are classics now, right?

1989 to 1992 are. However if you wanted an R32 GTR I would recommend getting a 1993 onward model due to an improved crank.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

BigPaddy posted:

1989 to 1992 are. However if you wanted an R32 GTR I would recommend getting a 1993 onward model due to an improved crank.

Good to know about the crank! I'm Australian so I don't have to worry about the classic laws in the US but I've got friends who might want to know about this stuff.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

Same engine as that kei van that one of the other goons imported in his own thread. I looked into it because I found one with a blown head gasket and enough body damage to be a perfect rallycross toy.

Parts were kinda costly to import but USDJPY will fix that on your end.

KingPave
Jul 18, 2007
eeee!~

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

gently caress me that's some good driving in the Civic.

Here's the 3rd race (the link above is the 2nd): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRKxkxegEbM

I haven't yet seen the 1st race uploaded anywhere.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Same engine as that kei van that one of the other goons imported in his own thread. I looked into it because I found one with a blown head gasket and enough body damage to be a perfect rallycross toy.

Parts were kinda costly to import but USDJPY will fix that on your end.

I was kidding about the lawn mower engine. Could a Beat realistically do highway speeds?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Rhyno posted:

I was kidding about the lawn mower engine. Could a Beat realistically do highway speeds?

Quoted top speed was 135km/h but that sounds like it would be the absolute most from a gearing/revs point of view.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Rubiks Pubes posted:

A local guy that imports cars had a Beat earlier this year and if I wasn't tall and fat I would have been inside it instead of all over it

:laugh:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Rhyno posted:

Yes, like a lot of these cars, they're artificially limited to about 85mph. There's perhaps a little more to be had out of it, I'd say, but not a huge amount.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

InitialDave posted:

Yes, like a lot of these cars, they're artificially limited to about 85mph. There's perhaps a little more to be had out of it, I'd say, but not a huge amount.

Thats an interesting choice of words
Im guessing natural organic beats can go faster.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

All natural, organic, sustainably raised kei cars are an untapped market in California.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning

MrYenko posted:

All natural, organic, sustainably raised kei cars are an untapped market in California.

Are they gluten free though?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
They're bland enough.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Thats an interesting choice of words
Im guessing natural organic beats can go faster.
I mean they have an electronic limiter, as opposed to being limited by gearing or power.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I know.

And goddamnit kei cars are not bland theyre full of subtle flavour.
Mostly the taste of the ceiling upholstery tho

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Mostly the taste of the ceiling upholstery tho
Unless you're very tall, it's fine, really.

Content:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Trashy-Tailgate-Bench/

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You know what sounds great? Hot summer day, see a park bench, and rest my back against a sheet of metal painted black that's been cooking in the sun.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

xzzy posted:

You know what sounds great? Hot summer day, see a park bench, and rest my back against a sheet of metal painted black that's been cooking in the sun.

It's all aboot perspective, eh. Nice wooden bench that there you can sit on when it's -20°C out and watch the people skate by on the river with a nice warm black backrest is pretty nice, eh.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Bajaha posted:

It's all aboot perspective, eh. Nice wooden bench that there you can sit on when it's -20°C out and watch the people skate by on the river with a nice warm black backrest is pretty nice, eh.

Tongue on the flag pole.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Platystemon posted:

Tongue on the flag pole.

Don't lick park benches, Platystemon.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I want one to sit in my front porch so me and my mate can sit and smoke cigars and drink whisky when we're meant to be fixing our cars.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I guess but if it's *your* front porch wouldn't you want something that might be vaguely comfortable to sit on? And where's your dog going to sit?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Memento posted:

I guess but if it's *your* front porch wouldn't you want something that might be vaguely comfortable to sit on? And where's your dog going to sit?
Porch is in the shade.

Work full time, so can't have a dog, and it infuriates me.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
How about a bench where you "open" the tailgate to sit on it?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

jamal posted:

Can't fit both of us on the Landie tailgate because I'm fat.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

jamal posted:

I thought about using an old tailgate to make a workbench in the garage that you open to use as a temporary work surface, then close against the wall. Guess it would work just as well as a bench

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Raluek posted:

I thought about using an old tailgate to make a workbench in the garage that you open to use as a temporary work surface

I really like this idea.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Needs a matching motorcycle that fits into and gets launched out of the front bit.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I'm also curious about the truckosine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
That's a goddamn Hiace isn't it.

I'd love to see that tackle any kind of incline.