Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Pirate Jet posted:

Hi, please discuss cinema in Cinema Discusso.

I'd love to, but no one seems interested in telling me what was so great about Snyder's direction in Dawn of the Dead. Taking the negative position, I can only say there was simply nothing remarkable there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

The MSJ posted:

Doctor Strange even have the meta joke of Strange being bad at jokes.

Its as though the film itself took on the protagonist's character flaw of trying too hard to be funny. Doctor Strange is a good movie that makes fun of you.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Filthy Casual posted:

Its as though the film itself took on the protagonist's character flaw of trying too hard to be funny. Doctor Strange is a good movie that makes fun of you.

I liked Dr.S a lot but I don't know that I would describe it like that. I think they (MCU) are still a little afraid of seriousness and I think it's a result of the response to the DCCU movies (just like I think the hilariously low body count statistics shown in DD and CW are them backpedaling hard just in case the internet decides to make an issue of that like they did with MoS).

They are finally getting creative with the visuals and direction though so I don't much care about my punchman movies having especially strong dramatic components since I'm mostly about visuals and action, and I think Dr.S did that especially well.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'd criticize Doctor Strange but that would imply I actually remember anything from it. I guess it was kind of visually "trippy" at points but I was honestly underwhelmed with regards to...well, its strangeness
So many of these Marvel movies are just zero calorie passing dreams for me, if I were to call the DC films and/or Snyder's filmography failures then at least they're spectacular/interesting failures. I'd be hard pressed to tell you much about Civil War or even Winter Soldier these days but there's a lot of MoS and BvS that will never leave me even if it's for a bad reason.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Filthy Casual posted:

that's basically every mcu protagonist's 'flaw' and the only movie that i'd say consciously incorporates that in a satisfying way is guardians

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I think the best joke in Doctor Strange was when Strange had captured Bad Dude in that magic suit, and Bad Dude is on the verge of convincing him that Dormammu is cool and good. And Strange is like "But.... look at your face!"

Besides that most of it fell flat for me. It especially annoyed me when Rachel McAdams' character went from seeing Strange's astral projection (and obviously being shocked), to coolly quipping about how he's probably joined a weird cult, back to being shocked at seeing more magic, over the course of like 30 seconds.

The ending made very little sense to me; it seemed like the plan working had very little to do with Strange's cleverness and was more about the Eye being way more powerful than it should have been. It might as well have been that "time" is like a Pokemon type and Dormammu was weak against it.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The problem with Marvel movies' brand of comedy is that it tends to be so incredibly low-effort, especially when they're set in a comic book fantasy world of magic and super-science. That's why "quips" get so grating: they're not even jokes, they're just a character saying something sarcastically. I'm always reminded of this video about Edgar Wright's visual comedy.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

ruddiger posted:

No joke I still get goosebumps from the Watchmen trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUjMO_k9IF8

I still insist that the first Watchmen trailer is the best of the three or four versions of the Watchmen movie.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Martman posted:

I think the best joke in Doctor Strange was when Strange had captured Bad Dude in that magic suit, and Bad Dude is on the verge of convincing him that Dormammu is cool and good. And Strange is like "But.... look at your face!"

Besides that most of it fell flat for me. It especially annoyed me when Rachel McAdams' character went from seeing Strange's astral projection (and obviously being shocked), to coolly quipping about how he's probably joined a weird cult, back to being shocked at seeing more magic, over the course of like 30 seconds.

The ending made very little sense to me; it seemed like the plan working had very little to do with Strange's cleverness and was more about the Eye being way more powerful than it should have been. It might as well have been that "time" is like a Pokemon type and Dormammu was weak against it.

The cleverness was in thinking to time loop in the timeless Dark Dimension. It's not about Strange being the greatest wizard of all time, just that he has unconventional wizard thinking. Using an infinity stone to power his enchantments certainly didn't hurt though.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Gyges posted:

The cleverness was in thinking to time loop in the timeless Dark Dimension. It's not about Strange being the greatest wizard of all time, just that he has unconventional wizard thinking. Using an infinity stone to power his enchantments certainly didn't hurt though.
I mean... they certainly acted like it was clever. But in reality it felt more like "oh, I've encountered a serious problem? I better use the insanely powerful artifact! Cool it worked."

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

There's a vaguely interesting idea somewhere in there about surrender being a kind of strength but you gotta squint to see it.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The problem with Marvel movies' brand of comedy is that it tends to be so incredibly low-effort, especially when they're set in a comic book fantasy world of magic and super-science. That's why "quips" get so grating: they're not even jokes, they're just a character saying something sarcastically. I'm always reminded of this video about Edgar Wright's visual comedy.

I actually wanted to cite this video the other day when someone was like "Ant-Man got funnier stuff added when Edgar Wright left!" Like yeah, maybe funnier dialogue but I would have loved to see what Wright's visual humor and action sequences would have looked like. We seriously lost a potential best Marvel film when he left :smith:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Even outside of visual comedy the lack of effort is glaring. A good example was in the trailer for the next Spider-Man movie, Tony Stark leans in to hug Peter Parker, but turns out that he's just opening the car door. The characters in question are a Sci-Fi Howard Hughes/P.T. Barnum and a teenage spider mutant, and that's the gag they go with.

It's a rather low-effort gag in that context, but it's low-effort even in the context of low-effort MCU comedy. You'd think Stark would be awkwardly promising Parker that he'll do everything in his power to keep him from being dissected in a government laboratory, a gag that becomes funnier since he's entirely serious about it. It would establish a funny power dynamic, play on teenage sense of persecution, and would build on the black ops/military-industrial complex intrigue that's an established part of modern superhero mythos.

In fact, it's such an obvious gag that it might have already been in there somewhere, and I just forgot.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Feb 18, 2017

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Guy A. Person posted:

I liked Dr.S a lot but I don't know that I would describe it like that. I think they (MCU) are still a little afraid of seriousness and I think it's a result of the response to the DCCU movies (just like I think the hilariously low body count statistics shown in DD and CW are them backpedaling hard just in case the internet decides to make an issue of that like they did with MoS).

I was riffing on SMG, I don't think it got that meta, but the whole "Strange thinks he's a lot funnier than he is" is definitely a theme. Marvel definitely just tries to be good times, all the time, but that isn't as big of an indictment as the Snyder crowd makes it out to be.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Best joke in Dr. Strange is the ER surgeon exclaiming "oh my god" at the sight of a patient being rushed in.

Moviefight:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Okay look I didn't even care for the movie that much and that's still mean.

Not entirely unwarranted but still mean.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Eh, a movie's a movie. Just because it is based off of another medium doesn't mean they can't put the work in and make it look beautiful.

But I suppose comparing anything to god tier cinematography is a bit unfair...

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew

ruddiger posted:

No joke I still get goosebumps from the Watchmen trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUjMO_k9IF8

I've never seen Watchmen, and don't know much about it, but this is a seriously good trailer.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Sir Potato posted:

I've never seen Watchmen, and don't know much about it, but this is a seriously good trailer.

It is great because while it is going about its business being a good trailer, it is also saying "you are going to get absolutely every iconic panel from the books".

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Well, except for the alien, but cest la vie.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Burkion posted:

it seriously just seemed like [Dr. Strange was] afraid of having a single serious scene without something happening. It made the moments that were meant to be really serious just fall flat and hard to take.

I generally agree with you, but the scene where the Ancient One dies is wonderful. Astral-projecting to stretch out her last seconds was a really beautiful, human moment, and I don't recall it as being super quippy or jokey.

It's funny that despite the hand-wringing about whitewashing, Tilda Swinton was the best thing about that movie. Faithfully recreating some Fu Manchu stereotype would've sucked.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Are funny movies bad?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Xealot posted:

I generally agree with you, but the scene where the Ancient One dies is wonderful. Astral-projecting to stretch out her last seconds was a really beautiful, human moment, and I don't recall it as being super quippy or jokey.

that scene was good but immediately after it is the magic carpet from aladdin comedeically ruining strange's sad moment by insistently brushing away his tears

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

UmOk posted:

Are funny movies bad?

Funny movies are fine. "Funny" movies are not.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Funny movies are fine. "Funny" movies are not.

Explain

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Even outside of visual comedy the lack of effort is glaring. A good example was in the trailer for the next Spider-Man movie, Tony Stark leans in to hug Peter Parker, but turns out that he's just opening the car door. The characters in question are a Sci-Fi Howard Hughes/P.T. Barnum and a teenage spider mutant, and that's the gag they go with.

It's a rather low-effort gag in that context, but it's low-effort even in the context of low-effort MCU comedy. You'd think Stark would be awkwardly promising Parker that he'll do everything in his power to keep him from being dissected in a government laboratory, a gag that becomes funnier since he's entirely serious about it. It would establish a funny power dynamic, play on teenage sense of persecution, and would build on the black ops/military-industrial complex intrigue that's an established part of modern superhero mythos.

In fact, it's such an obvious gag that it might have already been in there somewhere, and I just forgot.

Wow that's really funny man. Maybe you should write one of these movies.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I think there's a feeling in a lot of these movies where the focus is less on the quality of the jokes themselves than on the fact that the characters even are joking in what seemingly should be a super serious moment. Early on it worked; Iron Man being overly cool and calm was really a core part of his character, and it was still sort of unexpected to see that tone. As the Marvel movies go on though, there's absolutely no surprise in that kind of humor, and I just don't find it inherently funny for someone to reference Beyonce, or to point out that Beyonce and Wong are both single names.

There's also "humor" like when Strange and McAdams start quipping about how they should start a practice together or something, and they banter about whose name should go first. I get nothing out of that, and it just feels like filler.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
DC too serious. Marvel not serious enough.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ungulateman posted:

TDK, which was also written by Goyer

He has a story credit because the Nolans used the broad strokes of the outline that he put together with Christopher Nolan when they were working on Batman Begins. Goyer didn't write the movie.

Edit: My wife and I watched the first X-Men for the first time in probably a decade last night. Some thoughts:

- My God, it's somehow more hideous, cinematography-wise, than the actual Marvel Studios movies
- My God, Senator Kelly's rhetoric about mutants is depressingly similar to how some people talk about Muslims nowadays

Timby fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Feb 19, 2017

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Mystique's eyes glow yellow and lizard-like on live TV but only the X-Men realize that's weird.

Not using the Spider-Man prank outtake in the final movie was stupid.

Bishounen Wolverine, but X-Men 2 and up he is rad.

Senator Kelly's liquid rear end on the beach.

Statue of Liberty's crown sliced off.

Tyler Mane lmao

X-Men. We're not what you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMlC8hFmeFY

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Feb 19, 2017

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I rewatched X-Men a couple months ago and was surprised how well it holds up. The Statue of Liberty claw-spin thing always looked awful, and it's loaded with clunky dialogue, but the best scenes are actually the dialogue-free vignettes throughout. The performances carry a lot of it and the finale has kind of looped around to being interesting and quaint compared to 15 years of world-ending Blue Sky Lasers.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Neo Rasa posted:

Bishounen Wolverine, but X-Men 2 and up he is rad

I looked this word up and I still have no idea what the gently caress you're talking about. I liked the rest of your post.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/larryfong/status/832671892163043328

Heh

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

UmOk posted:

I looked this word up and I still have no idea what the gently caress you're talking about. I liked the rest of your post.

I think he's saying he has a gay crush on young Huge Act Man.
X-men owns, haters liquefy.

Also what a bizarre sentiment to only think politicians speeches of fear and hate against a minority are a recent thing.
I mean, unless by "nowadays" you mean post 1960s.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

wyoming posted:

I think he's saying he has a gay crush on young Huge Act Man.
X-men owns, haters liquefy.

X-Men is junky as hell in many ways but I loving love it.

For real though Jackman's casting was weird in retrospect. Every other rumor, list, whatever had them going for a short stocky dude. It's interesting how they went in like the total opposite direction with their final choice. But with eash passing movie he gets more and more like comic Wolverine, it's cool. Aesthetically they knew what was up though, movie X-Men Wolverine is like an exact character design from the year 2000 and ended up being an inspired choice.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Feb 19, 2017

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
my photoshop effects are bound by hardware dongle to the custom keyboard and spinny peripheral required to use said photoshop effects and it costs $250k and its not an editing bay its a suite u ignoramuses i am an artist god dammit

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

bring back old gbs posted:

my photoshop effects are bound by hardware dongle to the custom keyboard and spinny peripheral required to use said photoshop effects and it costs $250k and its not an editing bay its a suite u ignoramuses i am an artist god dammit

That's a lot of words next to other words.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

UmOk posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDrfHj3j398

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

UmOk posted:

It's time for Image Comics to find the happy balance between the two and make all the money in the world.

Or possibly Chaos! Comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

LesterGroans posted:

I rewatched X-Men a couple months ago and was surprised how well it holds up. The Statue of Liberty claw-spin thing always looked awful, and it's loaded with clunky dialogue, but the best scenes are actually the dialogue-free vignettes throughout. The performances carry a lot of it and the finale has kind of looped around to being interesting and quaint compared to 15 years of world-ending Blue Sky Lasers.

It also have the best line of all the X-Men movies. You know the one.

• Locked thread