Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
It's starting:

https://twitter.com/EjmAlrai/status/833210635597049856

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

I'm from NYC and Montreal took it to a new level

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

ded posted:

People have brought up having Cali leave the union for a long time. It gained a huge amount of 'social media' support right after the election. It would never actually happen, but California is one of the few states that could actually leave the union and be just fine. Till it ran out of water.

If they stopped growing water intensive cash crops (gently caress you cotton) and redistributed sacred water rights they may be able to reduce their need. Also massive desalination plants but those should have been started a decade ago.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

LingcodKilla posted:

If they stopped growing water intensive cash crops (gently caress you cotton and 'export only' almonds) and redistributed sacred water rights they may be able to reduce their need. Also massive desalination plants but those should have been started a decade50 years ago.

There is no way the gov would let cali leave. Purely due to how much tax money that would be lost.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Trump just reported a terrorist incident in Sweden. Sweden goes "EH?"

Does this man just say whatever comes into his head?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Man who salutes a cardboard cutoff of trump every day, interviewed by CNN, asks them to be nicer to the president

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_58a91337e4b045cd34c2689d

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Mosul op is currently going well, one group has penetrated 9km but who knows if they can exploit or even hold it.

https://twitter.com/EjmAlrai/status/833247794022514688

https://twitter.com/EjmAlrai/status/833323515965235200

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

FastestGunAlive posted:

Man who salutes a cardboard cutoff of trump every day, interviewed by CNN, asks them to be nicer to the president

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_58a91337e4b045cd34c2689d

Okay, we'll be nicer to your cardboard cutout.

But the real guy will get more crap piled on him, just saying.

Guacamayo
Feb 2, 2012
Today is election day in Ecuador. This is relevant because the main opposition candidate that is expected to go to the second round run-off against the incumbent government has pledged to kick Assange out of the London embassy.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Guacamayo posted:

Today is election day in Ecuador. This is relevant because the main opposition candidate that is expected to go to the second round run-off against the incumbent government has pledged to kick Assange out of the London embassy.

I have no idea about this guy's policies or ability to lead Ecuador, but I like him based on this alone.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Guacamayo posted:

:getin:

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
So I'm going to throw a monkey wrench into this poo poo because I'm curious, why does everyone here seem to have a hateboner for Julian Assange and Edward Snowden? Bradley/Chelsea Manning I get because he/she was one of those little whiny bitch rear end intel spergs that was like NO gently caress YOU DAD and not leaking intel as some sort of altruistic thing. I'm guessing you guys don't like Assange because all the recent leaks were against Hillary which n the long run meant loving Small-Hands-Piss-on-me-McGee won. Snowden I'm not really sure. But I get the feeling a lot of people don't like either of them because of Snowden's obvious being aided and comforted by Russia, and Assange maybe leaks stuff that is being fed to Wikileaks by the Russian government?

Help me out here I'm genuinely kind of partly ignorant about this stuff. I guess in the past I've supported them because throughout my computer geek obsession I've read a lot about encryption and privacy, which directly relates to leaks about how our own loving government spied/spies on us, which makes me feel leaks are a good thing because they keep the loving government on their toes instead of total carte blanche to just assfuck us everyday. But yeah, someone please give me a quick synopsis, I'm genuinely curious. Although I'm pretty sure I hit it on the head as to why some here dont' like Snowden and Assange.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Mike-o posted:

So I'm going to throw a monkey wrench into this poo poo because I'm curious, why does everyone here seem to have a hateboner for Julian Assange and Edward Snowden? Bradley/Chelsea Manning I get because he/she was one of those little whiny bitch rear end intel spergs that was like NO gently caress YOU DAD and not leaking intel as some sort of altruistic thing. I'm guessing you guys don't like Assange because all the recent leaks were against Hillary which n the long run meant loving Small-Hands-Piss-on-me-McGee won. Snowden I'm not really sure. But I get the feeling a lot of people don't like either of them because of Snowden's obvious being aided and comforted by Russia, and Assange maybe leaks stuff that is being fed to Wikileaks by the Russian government?

Help me out here I'm genuinely kind of partly ignorant about this stuff. I guess in the past I've supported them because throughout my computer geek obsession I've read a lot about encryption and privacy, which directly relates to leaks about how our own loving government spied/spies on us, which makes me feel leaks are a good thing because they keep the loving government on their toes instead of total carte blanche to just assfuck us everyday. But yeah, someone please give me a quick synopsis, I'm genuinely curious. Although I'm pretty sure I hit it on the head as to why some here dont' like Snowden and Assange.

Snowden whistle blew on KFC's unsafe conditions but also leaked the colonel's spice recipe at the same time.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Mike-o posted:

Assange people hate because he's a turd. Full stop. He doesn't care about freedom of information or any lofty ideals, he cares about his name in the papers and on TV. He pulled off some great leaks in the early game (some poo poo in Africa mostly) then bungled the GWoT leaks in a way that almost certainly got a lot of helpful and reasonable locals killed, and then he fled a rape trial and excused his behavior by invoking paranoid conspiracy theories.

Snowden hosed some stuff up and might not have been totally righteous about the way he did stuff but he legitimately did risk his life to leak really important information to the public and I personally think we ought to be more grateful to him. I think among vets you're prob gonna find a lot of people who disagree with what he did because it's bad for our team, essentially, but I think he did the right thing overall, even if he made some tactical blunders along the way.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I'm starting to think that Donnie stumbled with the Mattis pick, because Mattis is very obviously a rational person and that has no place in the Trump administration.

https://twitter.com/DanLamothe/status/833346112425775104

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
The Trump administration really does not deserve him.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mike-o posted:

Assange is a complete scumbag who pretends to care about principles of openness and whatever but even if you think that that isn't a total crock he is as consistent on that as Scalia was on Constitutional literalism.

Snowden may have leaked some things that the public needed to know but he also leaked a ton of stuff that was damaging for no good reason and then he ran first to China and then to Russia so if he wasn't a foreign agent he sure as hell acted like one.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

At worst, Snowden was a Russian mole. At best, he's an egotistical prick who got played by Russia.

If the whole point of Snowden's "whistleblowing" was to call attention to a lack of effective oversight, why is everything he leaked a capability or tool? Ignore his "hurf de durf i could look up anyone's information" bullshit and consider that he didn't give any details of any oversight, rules, or reviews. It was all tools and what we were doing.

If the oversight was nonexistent or lazy, you'd see evidence of that in the leaked material. The fact that you see absolutely nothing about oversight is entirely by what he chose to leak and not representative of reality.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Saturday's rally made it pretty clear Trump picked him solely because of the 'mad dog' sobriquet.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

When asked if he was worried his leaks might get Afghan interpreters killed, Assange replied that Afghan civilians who work with the coalition deserve to be killed. He's also a rapist and has been a Russian intel asset for years now.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Alright you guys convinced me, gently caress Assange, gently caress Snowden less but yeah that was some stupid poo poo.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Let's say the republican's don't do poo poo against Trump. No one gets in trouble. Flynn fades into obscurity. Four years later and we have a democrat president. Can they go after the Trump administration over Russia? Would they be afraid trying to jail the previous president set's a bad example?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Reverand maynard posted:

Let's say the republican's don't do poo poo against Trump. No one gets in trouble. Flynn fades into obscurity. Four years later and we have a democrat president. Can they go after the Trump administration over Russia? Would they be afraid trying to jail the previous president set's a bad example?

two things
1) they'll absolutely be afraid of looking like they're picking on them or whatever

2) the fact that investigating someone for what they did is seen as bad is not really very encouraging

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Two Finger posted:

two things
1) they'll absolutely be afraid of looking like they're picking on them or whatever

2) the fact that investigating someone for what they did is seen as bad is not really very encouraging

If you consider that the numerous investigations and inquiries into Benghazi were a response to the 9/11 commission looking into Bush's response/lack of preventative action, imagine the shitstorm that would happen if a Democrat did anything to Trump, regardless of how illegal and illegitimate Trump's actions were.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

redneck nazgul posted:

If you consider that the numerous investigations and inquiries into Benghazi were a response to the 9/11 commission looking into Bush's response/lack of preventative action, imagine the shitstorm that would happen if a Democrat did anything to Trump, regardless of how illegal and illegitimate Trump's actions were.

I guess I should have realised why they were hammering Benghazi so hard. Anyway haven't you heard? Bush kept you safe after 9/11

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Mike-o posted:

Alright you guys convinced me, gently caress Assange, gently caress Snowden less but yeah that was some stupid poo poo.

Here's a photo of Assange's dad and a goodwill team from Wikileaks meeting with Bashar Assad, saying they'll open an office in Damascus.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Snowden, manning, bergdahl and all them really never bothered me much, but loving Assange just seems like a straight up awful person so gently caress him I say

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
DHS is aiming to step-up ICE and Border Patrol by hiring 15,000 new agents total. Also setting up something called "VOICE", or Victims Of Illegal Criminals Engagement office.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...0401_story.html

Here are the memos, for your reading pleasure: http://apps.washingtonpost.com/g/do...mmigrants/2338/

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Two Finger posted:

I guess I should have realised why they were hammering Benghazi so hard. Anyway haven't you heard? Bush kept you safe after 9/11

You don't like the PATRIOT Act??? ARE YOU NOT A PATRIOT???????

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

Snowden, manning, bergdahl and all them really never bothered me much, but loving Assange just seems like a straight up awful person so gently caress him I say

Bergdahl was obviously mentally ill and he was washed out of the Coast Guard for psych reasons like a week or two into basic training before enlisting with the Army.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Sergg posted:

Bergdahl was obviously mentally ill and he was washed out of the Coast Guard for psych reasons like a week or two into basic training before enlisting with the Army.

drat he had a hell of a recruiter

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

TheQuietWilds posted:

Assange people hate because he's a turd. Full stop. He doesn't care about freedom of information or any lofty ideals, he cares about his name in the papers and on TV. He pulled off some great leaks in the early game (some poo poo in Africa mostly) then bungled the GWoT leaks in a way that almost certainly got a lot of helpful and reasonable locals killed, and then he fled a rape trial and excused his behavior by invoking paranoid conspiracy theories.

Assange is a piece of poo poo that did some good things early on, but is largely in it for himself and has likely gotten multiple people killed with poorly done leaks, and then went off on rampant paranoid conspiracy theories and largely leaked against Clinton for his own lovely benefit, all while fleeing a rape trial that he knows will largely see him convicted.

gently caress him.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

To add to the Snowden part: He fled to Hong Kong so he had enough time to leak it. But because he gave the journalists the whole kabootle and trust them to redact it he leaked a lot of ways and means too. He essentially leaked the parts that gave countries like Iran a blueprint for how to setup and process metadata collection etc. Then rather then accept extradition to the US he fled to Russia.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

drat he had a hell of a recruiter

Maybe you jest, but as covered in both Serial and Task and Purpose and the government investigation into his case, his recruitment into the Army wasn't especially weird, given the waivers and time of his enlistment. That doesn't make it "good," but his waiver to enlistment was pretty bog standard. He was chaptered under and initial entry separation chapter, likely chapter 11 (I can't recall for a fact if it was chapter 11), which can be for everything from refusal to train to simply not getting along with all the dumb military poo poo we do to failing tests to whatever. It's the less than six months of service catch-all. If they'd done a more diligent job in the Coast Guard and pursued the more rigorous, pain-in-the-rear end, time-consuming chapter 5 for mental fitness, he'd have at least a 2 year ban on enlistment and a far higher waiver to clear to be recruited.

So what I'm saying is that our dumb war and surge and whatnot meant that recruiting people like Bergdahl wasn't a bug, it was a feature.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Is it true that the very moment Assange steps out of the embassy there's people waiting to arrest him?

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Snowden is a retarded "information wants to be free" internet libertarian who leaked a poo poo ton of completely legit foreign-targeted programs and then ran into the waiting arms of our enemies.

The fact that he was accidently correct about one of those programs being questionable doesn't make that okay.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Two Finger posted:

two things

You forgot 3) Nothing matters, pick on whoever you want.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Sergg posted:

How does that not set off a red flag in somebody's system?

Edit: Should've refreshed.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Feb 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

mlmp08 posted:

Maybe you jest, but as covered in both Serial and Task and Purpose and the government investigation into his case, his recruitment into the Army wasn't especially weird, given the waivers and time of his enlistment. That doesn't make it "good," but his waiver to enlistment was pretty bog standard. He was chaptered under and initial entry separation chapter, likely chapter 11 (I can't recall for a fact if it was chapter 11), which can be for everything from refusal to train to simply not getting along with all the dumb military poo poo we do to failing tests to whatever. It's the less than six months of service catch-all. If they'd done a more diligent job in the Coast Guard and pursued the more rigorous, pain-in-the-rear end, time-consuming chapter 5 for mental fitness, he'd have at least a 2 year ban on enlistment and a far higher waiver to clear to be recruited.

So what I'm saying is that our dumb war and surge and whatnot meant that recruiting people like Bergdahl wasn't a bug, it was a feature.

Yeah I was joking. Prior service dudes are always a pain in the rear end but if USCG gave him a generic RE code like that it wasn't really that big of a deal or failure of the the enlistment process, but rather the separation process of the USCG IMO

• Locked thread