Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Not a Step posted:

Kidnap VIP missions where the VIP is standing next to a limo in the open are usually traps with a *ton* of Faceless hidden on the map. The Faceless don't count against the map totals, so even on Extremely Light there can be six or seven of them hiding in addition to the usual pods. Even better, when you kill the last ADVENT on the map all the Faceless will pop at once, regardless of your position, and then a small army of jelly men will come hunting you. Im pretty sure its on purpose to make up for how easy it is to grab the VIP standing in the open compared to a VIP tucked away in the back room of a gene clinic.

It's on purpose. It's a trap for XCOM laid by ADVENT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Hi guys I am a super weirdo who missed out on all the xcom games but instead played Incubation: Time is Running Out over and over, maybe 6 or 7 times when he was a kid? :confused: yeah I don't get it either

Anyway I just got the deluxe edition of this and heard that I should disable the DLC before starting my first game. I see options for narrative content but also sliders in the options menu so I'm not even sure how this works. I think I'm gonna have a lot of fun though :)

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

mellowjournalism posted:

Hi guys I am a super weirdo who missed out on all the xcom games but instead played Incubation: Time is Running Out over and over, maybe 6 or 7 times when he was a kid? :confused: yeah I don't get it either

Anyway I just got the deluxe edition of this and heard that I should disable the DLC before starting my first game. I see options for narrative content but also sliders in the options menu so I'm not even sure how this works. I think I'm gonna have a lot of fun though :)

I don't think you should disable the DLC. I didn't on my first time. I'll just give you a suggestion: do the lost towers thing when you have the first upgrade of weapons and armor, and do the crashed skyranger thing when you have a full six member squad and the previous mentioned upgrades. The crashed skyranger does something really, really nasty, so you can even wait until you're more comfortable if you want. That should let you put up a fight.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

If you turn the DLC missions off, the nasty thing included in one of the DLCs just happens *whenever* with no warning or introduction.

Thats bad.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Alright cool, I just left it at default. Also uh, is there no way to scroll flavor text any faster? I'm playing this on PS4 for convenience but I guess I miss out on all these mods I hear about.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Goddamn, the AWC just gave my grenadier Doom "Doomguy" Guy Run and Gun, which is the most perfect perk for him in the world. Doomguy never stops running.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
For all the flak LW2 gets, the AWC improvements are one of the best things changed from the base game.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Not a Step posted:

Hold control, then right click to set a waypoint. You can use waypoints to path around things the game would rather hurl you directly into, or to do a humiliating little dance around an enemy before you kill them.

In general though the game tries to path around bad things, so usually if you have to run through fire to reach a tile with a move its because the game couldnt find a clear path there in one move.

Thanks I'm on console though. There are a couple weird graphical things going on that I think are the culprit, eg, pathing not showing the icon when running through a detection square/door/glass and the red detection squares not appearing properly on a tile. Ironically I learned this when I started save scumming, because on a reload they appear.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Turned on my game today and this guy was looking at me. I just love to imagine he learned everything he knows about fighting aliens from playing video games and watching anime. And he doesn't see anything ironic in his hair cut.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Feb 19, 2017

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

So i got hosed by the not being able to vault low cover thing mentioned a few pages back, but the lines in supposed to comment out aren't there. I'm looking in docs\my games\xcom2. is it somewhere else?

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

...SteamApps/Workshop/Content/268500/844674609/Config

It'll be one of those inis, it's where all of them are located.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I don't know why, but in a Rendezvous mission, my Resisties seemed to be packing old-school frag grenades from XCOM2 vanilla. loving one of them took out a segment of a brick house's wall, and another took out an entire tree. A full-cover tree. I was like, what the christ

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Apoplexy posted:

I don't know why, but in a Rendezvous mission, my Resisties seemed to be packing old-school frag grenades from XCOM2 vanilla. loving one of them took out a segment of a brick house's wall, and another took out an entire tree. A full-cover tree. I was like, what the christ

I could never play LW2 because I don't want to enter a world where grenades aren't one of the best things you can use, and taking out a wall or tree is a surprise instead of their intended purpose.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Eh, you just gotta figure out the tricks to destroying cover. Javelin (for reduced falloff from center) Rockets kick butt at it, same with Sapper-perked Grenadiers.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

even sappers are disappointing. there's some cover that's drat near impossible to get rid of.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

That xavius(sp?) guy who balance tested insane difficulty says in one of his early campaign videos that tree stumps are totally indestructible now for example.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Why?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Mechanically because you can't do enough environmental damage to them because their HP was jacked way up and all environmental damage is ridiculously below vanilla levels.

Design-wise because the Long War dudes hate destructible cover almost as much as they love slapping tac sense on flying enemies.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
I am curious if the environmental object HPs are kept in .inis. If not you can just buff the sapper & combat engineer bonuses in one of them.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Cover destruction is a maladaptive tactic. Don't let anyone tell you that the aliens can do it, either. that's fake news

All joking aside, sapper is a trap skill considering it just makes you marginally more effective at something you're never truly effective at. As said, technicians specced for rocket accuracy are the sappers you'll actually be using.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Feb 20, 2017

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I mean from what I understand your average fragmentation grenade isn't really intended to nuke cover like they do in vanilla, but I don't see you can'y have specific HE grenades with a smaller radius for that particular job, probably with a really abrupt damage falloff as well.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Basic Chunnel posted:

Cover destruction is a maladaptive tactic.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Sapper is still pretty reliable at knocking out individual walls, benches, lamp posts and the like, some of which can give you serious issues otherwise. It's the big trees in the rural maps that you're going to have trouble getting through, or if you're wanting to blow up all the cover at once rather than just one person's.

Also advent's late-2000s-shooter chest high walls, but those are only half cover so you mostly just shoot through them instead.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Phrosphor posted:

I mean from what I understand your average fragmentation grenade isn't really intended to nuke cover like they do in vanilla, but I don't see you can'y have specific HE grenades with a smaller radius for that particular job, probably with a really abrupt damage falloff as well.

Sounds like the shaped charge.

Charlotte of Oz
Feb 26, 2015

gay mer girl
So how're we all handling the vipers, besides "flashbangs until they're dead or Menace 1-5 is gone?" I've seen it tongue-grab a soldier from out of heavy cover while they were hunkered down, and the rest of Team Shithead is quite happy to shoot at the paralyzed soldier until they're dead. You'd think that they'd concentrate on the enemies that can shoot back.

An ability that basically one-hit kills a soldier seems a little extreme, even for Long War 2. I sure can't remove them from cover any more, so why should they get to?

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Yeah I just did the ini edit, I feel damage spread on nades is a nerf enough.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Lunethex posted:

I am curious if the environmental object HPs are kept in .inis. If not you can just buff the sapper & combat engineer bonuses in one of them.

They are. And you can. Both things.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Apoplexy posted:

They are. And you can. Both things.

Still worse destructible environment than X-Com:Apocalypse

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I've been waiting for the majority of my life on this earth for Apocalypse's cool systems to be transplanted into an actually good game. Maybe Frozen Synapse 2 will finally be it

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I think the Gunner's demolition does remove tree stumps/trees. Not sure. But I've been finding that skill very useful.

Sapper grenadiers are basically trash when compared to the support tree or full rocket specc'd technicals. This doesn't help with the early game, though.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Gyshall posted:

I think the Gunner's demolition does remove tree stumps/trees. Not sure. But I've been finding that skill very useful.

It does, at least in my experience. I have yet to find a cover item that Demolition cannot remove.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Charlotte of Oz posted:

So how're we all handling the vipers, besides "flashbangs until they're dead or Menace 1-5 is gone?" I've seen it tongue-grab a soldier from out of heavy cover while they were hunkered down, and the rest of Team Shithead is quite happy to shoot at the paralyzed soldier until they're dead. You'd think that they'd concentrate on the enemies that can shoot back.

An ability that basically one-hit kills a soldier seems a little extreme, even for Long War 2. I sure can't remove them from cover any more, so why should they get to?

I think that's the thing that pisses me off about long war: the AI plays like it's playing a game too, and takes optimal moves all the drat time instead of burning turns with stupid bullshit like in the vanilla game. They already have a numerical and logistical advantage, making them play like poopsocking turbospergs gives them a sort of unbeatable triad and fucks the player out of being able to game their one disadvantage against them. The player is already under pressure to play smart thanks to the walls of guns and HP the game throws at them, it's a real dick move to decide that all of a sudden those grunts are gonna use better tactics too. Pile on the relentlessly stacking dark events, the ludicrous waves of reinforcements and the avalanche of perks and abilities the already steadily ratcheting alien hordes get and you've got a recipe for something, but I'm not sure that something is fun.

It would also be a lot better imo if vital information was more clearly presented, the decision to hide stuff like the doomsday counter is just loving obnoxious.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Yeah hiding the avatar pips is super hosed up. I just had to abandon a campaign because when I finally got it up it was nearly full and I wasn't in any position to do anything about it. I hadn't even skulljacked an officer yet.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I've been waiting for the majority of my life on this earth for Apocalypse's cool systems to be transplanted into an actually good game. Maybe Frozen Synapse 2 will finally be it
An XCOM game with Red Faction: Guerrilla's building destruction physics.

One can dream.

john donne
Apr 10, 2016

All suitors of all sorts themselves enthral;

So on his back lies this whale wantoning,

And in his gulf-like throat, sucks everything

That passeth near.
Long War 2 is hard. Even a Moderate force strength mission has like 8-9 strong pods, which aren't a problem to kill if you can be methodical, but on 10-turn missions it seems impossible unless you massively outgun the aliens

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

I feel like the troop levels ramp up too much. If I had any say the levels between light and moderate would add maybe one troop each and then have bigger jumps between moderate/heavy/swarming. I know that's kind of what they do now but even supposedly moderate amounts of forces are too much to handle in the time allotted.

Or i guess I should get gud. I dunno.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Phrosphor posted:

Ive seen someone else make the comment that frag grenades arent meant for cover destruction. They didn't have a good answer for why grenades that spewed hot plasma should be just as crappy at cover destruction. There is no difference between frags and plasma for environmental damage (9). For reference, Sapper adds 3 environmental damage and Combat Engineer adds 8 environmental damage. Environmental HP is on a threshold system. If an object has 10 HP then no amount of 9 damage grenades in the world will do anything to it. E: Environmental damage is also subject to fall off, so frags/plasma only do 9 damage in the dead center of the grenade. Combat Engineer removes damage falloff for environmental damage, *not* tandem.

I gotta admit I really liked Vanilla where stray shots from high powered weapons would blow poo poo up, and it was always worth firing a cannon at something in case you demolished their cover. It made battles way more dynamic because neither you nor ADVENT could just stake out a position and have a firefight forever. But the LW people *love* static firefights, so here we are.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
I think at all stems from grenades being 100% accuracy no skill damage application. There is no meaningful strategy in their usage other than forgoing its usage later, so it tends towards needing to be nerfed into a near single target area of effect.

I've been tossing up how to proceed with tactical once I get there - https://paper.dropbox.com/doc/Guerrilla-War-Tactical-Concepts-FW0CXa1CamPabMwQh15CY - and one idea I really want to try is a delayed fuse where you either have to prime the grenade the previous turn to get a contact explosive, or throw the grenade and it will explode next turn. The idea being if it's harder to hit with a grenade via single turn reaction, you can maybe buff them back up into a niche of area denial / trapping.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Maluco Marinero posted:

I think at all stems from grenades being 100% accuracy no skill damage application. There is no meaningful strategy in their usage other than forgoing its usage later, so it tends towards needing to be nerfed into a near single target area of effect.

So what you're saying is

Basic Chunnel posted:

Cover destruction is a maladaptive tactic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
we get it chunnel you got an A in comp 101, that's lovely for you