Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

FlyingCheese posted:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=16388

Is this a good deal for an ultra low budget SFF PC? I mainly just want to throw linux on it, use it as a Plex/torrent/file server. I don't need a lot of power for gaming as I have a gaming rig for a desktop, I'd like to use the Steam In Home Streaming too, is it powerful enough for that? I'm probably going to throw another 4GB of ram in it and maybe an SSD.

All of the manufacturers have some kind of business-class SFF. For that price I'd suggest something with a much newer CPU like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Thin...-gAAOSwdGFYpzcD

Zero VGS posted:

This is $170, fanless, and is the size of a smartphone: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883722004

We use them at work and I have one at home for streaming, it has a Skylake CPU in it so it has very robust encoding/decoding.

It has a 4-hour battery on it if you want to move it around between rooms, and it has 4gb ram and 64gb emmc flash, with an SD card expansion slot.

I've always run Windows on it, as you can see from the reviews some Linux users have success and some not so much. Did I mention it's $170?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEG_F-VF5pg

Zero VGS posted:

I mean yeah it's an Atom chip, Cherry Trail, sorry, I use Skylake to mean "14nm", as in super power efficient. With Prime95 I think it was capping out at 15 watts which explains how they can have it passively cooled.

Edit: It is four actual cores that can burst to 2.24ghz, it's no slouch: https://ark.intel.com/m/products/85474/Intel-Atom-x5-Z8500-Processor-2M-Cache-up-to-2_24-GHz

Edit 2: Dedicated HEVC decoding as well.

The Kangaroo is passively cooled and is noted for overheating and throttling; read the comments where users mention turning a room fan on it to keep it cool. They do otherwise work, but it's a shame that you can't get the Plus model with the Pro dock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

buglord posted:

Being a brand warrior of anything is dumb, but my positive recent experiences with EVGA makes me pretty loyal to them now.

Every brand has good and bad products. The EVGA 1070s and 1080s are now considered bad because they cheaped out on capacitors that might explode and omitted thermal pads, so the stupid backplate would overheat the VRMs. The 970s and 980s had bad coolers, but I forgot the specifics of that. The bad ones were ACX 2.0, but now that they've hosed up the ACX 3.0 for 10-series they're abandoning that name and moving on to ICX. Now the only good thing about them is their reasonable RMA service and the Step Up Program, which may occasionally be useful but should really be useful.

I'm starting to gravitate towards Zotac since that had the best performing triple fan 1080, as well as producing the ITX 1080. They tend to be the cost leader, and seem hungry for business and they're always pushing the envelope for mini computers with decent/good GPUs. I think I heard their RMA service isn't the best though.

I'm polarized by Gigabyte because most of their cards are triple fan which I don't like, since they're so big, but then they put out ITX _70 cards which is cool. Also I hear they revise their motherboards with cheaper components over time and hope no one notices, which is a lovely business practice.

MSI cards seem to be needlessly wide, which can be troublesome for ITX builds.

Really, I just want a boring no frills company that isn't afraid to forego RGB to save us a few bucks. Unfortunately it seems like everyone is in a race to the bottom in terms of taste and our wallets.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I just moved from a Zotac 1060 (which was defective when it came in, and they don't offer returns on Newegg...only exchanges [?!]) to EVGA 1070 ACX 3.0. :cripes:

I guess its just me having bad luck.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Personally I have had the best luck with MSI cards myself. They usually aren't top-end overclockers, but they tend to run quiet. Noise is pretty important in most of my builds. They also tend to be tall rather than long, for whatever impact that has on cases. They also don't run at too much of a price premium.

I can appreciate EVGA service, but like VulgarandStupid I question their coolers. They tend to be very competitively priced, and they have good availability. There always seems to be some problem with the cooling on their line of cards though, like the VRM issues now. I don't want bios updates to make my fans spin faster, or need to apply thermal pads myself. That poo poo should be done before it is in my hands. In general their cards work, but they are usually not as cool and quiet as I would like.

The triple fan gigabyte cards tend to be some of the best overclockers, but they also get more complaints about coil whine than others. I can totally see going for gigabyte GPUs if you want a reasonably priced overclocker. Their cards tend to be long.

Asus is usually very card dependent. I would have a hard time generalizing to all of their models. They are often a little more expensive though, and I am not convinced their GPUs are worth the same premium you see on their motherboards. Maybe I am wrong though. I used to own an asus myself that would sing with coil whine whenever a STALKER menu screen would come up. Fairly minor though, and it was silent apart from that.

I admit to having no personal experience with Zotac cards, never having owned one. I've always though of them as undesirable budget cards, but that may be less well founded now. They are releasing some aggressively overclocked cards at reasonable prices. They do seem to seem hungry for the business, as VulgarandStupid says.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Feb 20, 2017

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

My 2 fan Zotac 970 is chugging along nicely. I thought it was dying, but I think that was my crappy Silverstone supply. No issues with black screen or visual issues with the new Corsair.

I'd have no hesitation buying them again.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Hi thread! I have a weird requirement - I'm looking for something that will take a 7x4ish inch PCIe x1 card. Whole point is a cheap Labview data acquisition computer, so video other than necessary to run Windows is a non-priority, and honestly processor speed and ram probably isn't too big a priority either. Are there any biz-class SFFs that would be suitable, or is there any cheaper option than just building an ordinary MITX setup?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

mekilljoydammit posted:

Hi thread! I have a weird requirement - I'm looking for something that will take a 7x4ish inch PCIe x1 card. Whole point is a cheap Labview data acquisition computer, so video other than necessary to run Windows is a non-priority, and honestly processor speed and ram probably isn't too big a priority either. Are there any biz-class SFFs that would be suitable, or is there any cheaper option than just building an ordinary MITX setup?

Pretty sure 4" is wider than a low profile bracket, so you're really SOL here in terms of super small cases. There are a few cases, but they are mostly indie cases, meant to fit ITX graphics cards that might fit your needs but they tend to be expensive and in short supply plus they generally use flexATX PSUs. I'm thinking you'd want support for 3.5" drives anyway to store data, but I'm not entirely sure on that.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
A GPIB card?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Atomizer posted:

All of the manufacturers have some kind of business-class SFF. For that price I'd suggest something with a much newer CPU like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Thin...-gAAOSwdGFYpzcD

The Kangaroo is passively cooled and is noted for overheating and throttling; read the comments where users mention turning a room fan on it to keep it cool. They do otherwise work, but it's a shame that you can't get the Plus model with the Pro dock.

Like I said I bought several dozen Kangaroo for work, I had one overheat because we placed it behind a TV that was up against a wall so it was dealing with hot ambient air plus itself... I'm sure there's some other ways to overheat one but if you place it in an open area away from other hot stuff it'll run for months without issue.

That said, the Thinkcentre you posted is a very nice value if you don't need the Kangaroo's pocket-sized/fanless bulletpoints.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

VulgarandStupid posted:

Pretty sure 4" is wider than a low profile bracket, so you're really SOL here in terms of super small cases. There are a few cases, but they are mostly indie cases, meant to fit ITX graphics cards that might fit your needs but they tend to be expensive and in short supply plus they generally use flexATX PSUs. I'm thinking you'd want support for 3.5" drives anyway to store data, but I'm not entirely sure on that.

Nuts. I found one SFF case that has a PCIe slot on a riser but it was in the "boutique case maker" territoriy. The biz class SFF boxes seem like they either have miniPCIe only or none at all, but I was kinda hoping I was overlooking one. And for what I have in mind... a 3.5" drive would be nice but most of the data is going to get condensed down quite a bit before being stored.

National Instruments PCIe-6251 for what it's worth - 16 channels of 16 bit analog inputs at a total of about a million samples per second, 2 analog outputs, 24 digital IO ports.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Oof, yeah that's a wide card. Sorry, you might even have trouble fitting that into some standard mitx cases, let alone half height ones. I know it's a kinda expensive option but if you already have NI gpib stuff what's another few hundred? You could get a nuc or something similar and stick the card into an external dock such as this this. I don't know how much power it draws, but I'd guess it'd be small enough to work with the 25W that box provides.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

To be clear, the 4" dimension I mentioned is height - I guess I should better have put it that it's a full height, 7" long PCIe card, but it's only one slot wide.

Rest assured I didn't pay anything near full price for my surplus card, otherwise I'd just open my wallet rather than try to shave a couple hundred dollar build down by anything I can - heck I'd have ordered the MITX version that'd fit my needs already. ;)

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Err to be clear, by width I meant the length from finger edge to the opposite edge--- the height you are talking about.

And I assumed you were academic or commercial; Not a lot of people need or use gpib. Honestly I think it'd be best just to get something like that silverstone sg-10 or whatever its called. That should fit everything just fine, though if I recall there's only one 'official' 3.5 mount point. There's nothing stopping you from just having one hanging/sitting there in the case though lol. I have an extra one if you live in or near Austin and/or want to negotiate ;) It has the solid flat front rather than the meshy one with the beveled indentations on it.

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Feb 21, 2017

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Anyone received they DAN/A4 yet? Looks like the thread on OCP forums is looking at creating a new low-profile heat sink and fan.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
They're up for preorder on ocuk

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

And I assumed you were academic or commercial; Not a lot of people need or use gpib.

Ha, no, I'm a loon who learned NI DAQ stuff on the job as a test engineer, and is trying to build a system so I can do data acquisition stuff for a sideline or for my own test equipment. As a hobby. I found a deal on the hardware and am trying to make it relatively portable so I can use it on as many projects as possible. Thus portable rather than sticking it into my normal desktop.

Not familiar with GPIB actually - the specific card I'm using is analog inputs and timing stuff onboard rather than connecting to separate instrumentation.

I'm up in Wisconsin if you think it's worth your time to ship.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

Like I said I bought several dozen Kangaroo for work, I had one overheat because we placed it behind a TV that was up against a wall so it was dealing with hot ambient air plus itself... I'm sure there's some other ways to overheat one but if you place it in an open area away from other hot stuff it'll run for months without issue.

Just keep in mind, when we talk about these Kangaroo PCs overheating it doesn't necessarily mean to the point of failure. Because these are passively cooled and can't manage heat well, they will simply throttle down as they heat up, leading to reduced performance which you may or may not notice depending on what you're doing with them. If you're using these at work for basic productivity then it's not going to make a difference, but if you tried to set up Plex Media Server on one you'd definitely notice when it tried to transcode. The manufacturer (Infocus) itself is well aware of the situation; here's some quotes from their responses to Newegg reviews:

quote:

Manufacturer Response:
Hi Phillip, I'm terribly sorry for such a poor setup experience. It's inexcusable and something I will work with the team to ensure we address with future platforms.

Now, I understand from your comments that you're also not exactly happy with the performance, but I'm hoping this is something that we can work with you to resolve.

With regard to performance there are a few things to consider. Often times performance issues are related system temperatures. Because the system uses a fanless design this means internal temperatures are managed passively. As internal temperatures increase the system will throttle in effort to reduce temperature.

Some of the common reasons -- if the ventilation is blocked, or the ambient temperature is too warm, or CPU/GPU utilization is too high. E.g., the Kangaroo platform supports FHD (1080p max), so if we're playing 4K content for an extended period temperatures will increase due to GPU utilization; this will cause the system to throttle back, which will impact video playback.

Please feel free to reach out to me directly and copy our support team (support@kangaroo.cc). I'm hoping we can work with you to solve the problem.

Carl Giardina
carl.giardina@kangaroo.cc

They even recommend the external fan solution:

quote:

Manufacturer Response:
Hello Vince,

Heat has been a common complaint from our customers. We have suggested to have a small fan run over the device or placing the device on a cooling pad....

Thank you,
Sarah R., InFocus Customer Support

While I guess that works, it sure is disappointing and not what a PC buyer would expect to have to do. Just for clarification, I have a couple of these that I don't use; they're fine for specific uses, although I wouldn't recommend the base model (2+32 GB) for much. Personally I just need Windows for gaming and ChromeOS for everything else which is why the Kangaroo PCs are gathering dust.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

mekilljoydammit posted:

Ha, no, I'm a loon who learned NI DAQ stuff on the job as a test engineer, and is trying to build a system so I can do data acquisition stuff for a sideline or for my own test equipment. As a hobby. I found a deal on the hardware and am trying to make it relatively portable so I can use it on as many projects as possible. Thus portable rather than sticking it into my normal desktop.

Not familiar with GPIB actually - the specific card I'm using is analog inputs and timing stuff onboard rather than connecting to separate instrumentation.

I'm up in Wisconsin if you think it's worth your time to ship.

That's awesome :) I really want to get an awesome electronics bench one of these days with a decent bench supply, oscilloscope, (pipedream) ENA, waveform generator, DMM etc all controlled by a computer via labview. I think I still have my student edition I got for my signals and systems class, though its probably expired,. I need to find an excuse to build a VI that isn't mostly mathscript-- it looked kinda fun to be honest.

Anyways, I doubt it'll be worth it to ship all the way up there as its a big box and not exactly a feather. I'll check the pricing out to like milwaukee, though.

e: Yeah the cheapest shipping is about 16-17 bucks for fedex and 20/25 for ups/usps resp. Considering a new sugo SG13[B] is all of $40 on amazon for the mesh front ($45 for the solid front, the one I own) the profit i'd get after shipping and paypal if its used is like 5-10 bucks. Not really worth it, ah well. I need to repost my samart ad for a much of poo poo anyways.

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Feb 21, 2017

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008
Quoted from the parts picking thread, as this is all SFF-specific:

jonathan posted:

I can't find a case I like in MicroATX. (thanks for all the suggestions btw)

If I instead go with miniITX that can accept a full size GPU, what are my limitations besides heat/overclocking ?

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/j8M323/silverstone-case-sstrvz02bw

I really just don't want something under the TV that looks like a PC tower turned on its side, and the box style microATX is pretty big.

Heat/overclocking are pretty much it. For CPU cooler, you're limited to 58mm for height. A Thermalright AXP-100, ID-Cooling IS-60, or Scythe Big Shuriken 2 rev. B would probably be your best bet as far as CPU cooler goes. That case does not have great video card ventilation, either. To mitigate that, there's a pretty cool post on Overclock.net where a guy installed 3 80x80x15mm fans in the top of the case of an ML08, which is almost identical to the case you posted. If you do end up getting it, don't lay it horizontal without monitoring your thermals first. If you end up going for a 1080 instead of a 1070, that would probably also exacerbate the issue. Getting a blower card is also an option if you're OK with more noise and slightly lower performance.

Oh, there's only 1 PCIe slot, 2 RAM slots, and supply of the new Mini-ITX Z270 boards are kinda iffy right now because of how new Kaby Lake is, and how niche the ITX platform is. ASUS and ASRock probably have the best Mini-ITX Z270 boards, depending on what you want. Here you will find a spreadsheet someone made to break down the difference between the different models.

I've seen a few complaints about ~coil whine~ on the Silverstone SFX PSU's, but nothing bad about the Corsair SF450/600.

Here's a build idea, sorry about the listings being in freedomdollars:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($238.75 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: ID-COOLING IS-60 53.6 CFM CPU Cooler ($44.98 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270i GAMING Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($181.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($128.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 960 Evo 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($249.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB FTW Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card ($602.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Silverstone ML08B-H HTPC Case ($84.50 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair SF 600W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($119.82 @ Jet)
Total: $1652.00

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Mooktastical posted:

Quoted from the parts picking thread, as this is all SFF-specific:

Heat/overclocking are pretty much it. For CPU cooler, you're limited to 58mm for height. A Thermalright AXP-100, ID-Cooling IS-60, or Scythe Big Shuriken 2 rev. B would probably be your best bet as far as CPU cooler goes.

CPU Cooler: ID-COOLING IS-60 53.6 CFM CPU Cooler ($44.98 @ Newegg Marketplace)

Pro tip, you can get the IS-60 heatsink like you linked, and then switch out the 120x15mm fan for a Cryorig 140x13mm fan: https://www.amazon.com/Cryorig-CR-XTA-140mm-Profile-System/dp/B00IAPV5YW

That would almost certainly perform better and more quietly, and be 2mm thinner for a better air gap from the top of the case. I'm using the Crorig fan with a mismatched heatsink in the S4 Mini case and it is working well.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Mooktastical posted:

but nothing bad about the Corsair SF450/600

From what I've read they're both amazing PSUs, not only are they using high quality parts but both can pass 80+ Platinum efficiency even though officially they're only rated Gold. You can't go wrong with them IMO.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Zero VGS posted:

Pro tip, you can get the IS-60 heatsink like you linked, and then switch out the 120x15mm fan for a Cryorig 140x13mm fan: https://www.amazon.com/Cryorig-CR-XTA-140mm-Profile-System/dp/B00IAPV5YW

That would almost certainly perform better and more quietly, and be 2mm thinner for a better air gap from the top of the case. I'm using the Crorig fan with a mismatched heatsink in the S4 Mini case and it is working well.

Do you have any idea how that would fare compared to a Prolimatech Vortex Slim 12?

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/BRrG3C/prolimatech-case-fan-prousv14

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Mooktastical posted:

Do you have any idea how that would fare compared to a Prolimatech Vortex Slim 12?

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/BRrG3C/prolimatech-case-fan-prousv14

Here's a direct comparison between them:

http://www.coolingtechnique.com/recensioni/air-cooling/ventole/1673-recensione-prolimatech-ultra-sleek-vortex-e-vortex-aluminum.html?start=6

The site is in Italian, but the charts are easy to read. The cryorig fan does a bit better, but then the Raijintek Aeolus (the fan on their Pallas heatsink) stomps on both of them. It looks like the Vortex Slim 14, the Cryorig XT 140, and the Raijintek Pallas are all slim 140mm fans with 120mm mounting holes. I'm not sure how much creativity you would have to apply to make those fans fit on that heatsink, but it doesn't look too hard.

Coolingtechnique also has a youtube channel where they record fan noise, it's oddly addicting. Here's what those three fans sound like:

Prolimatech Vortex Slim 14
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vspGHng1vuc&t=71s

Cryorig XT 140
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwlw5knvFUs&t=15s

Raijintek Aeolus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U80DSvB4hSM&t=54s

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Welp, just said to hell with it and ordered stuff for a Mini ITX build version of the DAQ box. Nothing special - G4560, 8gb ram, APEX MI-008, WD 1tb drive; $335 all told. I guess I'll take pictures when I get it together?

I feel like I should update my main desktop now - just threw a new vidcard in it last year (some sort of Radeon, I forget, lol) but the rest of it's an 8 year old Phenom 2 940.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I own all three of the fans in the comparison you posted, they are all pretty great and quiet. Note that while the Aeolus is claimed to perform the best in those tests, it's the only fan out of the three that uses a plain sleeve bearing, so I don't know if it'd have the longevity of the others.

Also, I took a caliper to all of them, the Ultra Sleek is 15mm as claimed, and the other two fans are supposed to be 13mm, but the Aeolus is actually 13.4mm and the Cryorig is 12.9mm. So if you have a really tight fit, that's good to know.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

MrMoo posted:

Anyone received they DAN/A4 yet? Looks like the thread on OCP forums is looking at creating a new low-profile heat sink and fan.

Still waiting at the delivery pickup confirmation stage with mine.

In the meantime I'm kind of obsessed with this:
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/02/zotac-zbox-magnus-en1080-review/

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Are there any SFF cases built with SFF GPUs in mind?

Something slightly larger than this (enough to fit a mini 1070 or R9 Nano, for example): would be really cool.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Completed my Raijintek build that i've been talking about for more than a few weeks.

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/XM8Ycf

Came out pretty nice but I need to do some cable management this weekend.

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

buglord posted:

Something slightly larger than this (enough to fit a mini 1070 or R9 Nano, for example): would be really cool.

The S4 Mini is really cool

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Pokemon OH SNAP! posted:

The S4 Mini is really cool

Needs a little more....mass production. :( It costs a pretty penny too. I know this is a total beggars choosers situation because this is niche within niche here.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

buglord posted:

Cases? Not that I know of. Premade though? Yes: https://www.zotac.com/product/mini_pcs/magnus-en1070

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

buglord posted:

Needs a little more....mass production. :( It costs a pretty penny too. I know this is a total beggars choosers situation because this is niche within niche here.

I paid $200 for an S4 Mini (got bells and whistles like vandal-proof power button and flexible silicon riser) and it was worth every penny. But, if you can't afford that, the Logic Supply MC600 is $100, but it's much clunkier:

https://www.logicsupply.com/mc600/

Here's a comparison:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Hb44iOQmbY

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Feb 23, 2017

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Atomizer posted:

Cases? Not that I know of. Premade though? Yes: https://www.zotac.com/product/mini_pcs/magnus-en1070

This is cool, but I wonder how that processor would stack up.

Oovee
Jun 21, 2007

No life king.
Well, ordered ryzin 1700.. now just to see which arrives first, ITX am4 or the zaber sentry case.

Yeah, not in a hurry here.. my trusty 2600k can chug on for a few more months.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Oovee posted:

Well, ordered ryzin 1700.. now just to see which arrives first, ITX am4 or the zaber sentry case.

Yeah, not in a hurry here.. my trusty 2600k can chug on for a few more months decades.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I don't know why I did this, but I got a Silverstone SG-13. I'm gonna see transfer all the guts out of my TT Core V1 and do the most marginal size upgrade (downgrade?) ever.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

buglord posted:

I don't know why I did this, but I got a Silverstone SG-13. I'm gonna see transfer all the guts out of my TT Core V1 and do the most marginal size upgrade (downgrade?) ever.

It's like half the size, so I'd say that's pretty substantial.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Just got most of my little APEX MI-008 cased build together. Annoying thing is that looking at it, I bet with a little cutting and welding I could get another 3L out of it without any real trouble - it's about 4" longer than it needs to be unless you're using a 5 1/4" drive for some reason. I mean, everything would be pretty tight and I'd have to change how ventilation works but yeah.

But for a $40 case, enh, good enough.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

VulgarandStupid posted:

It's like half the size, so I'd say that's pretty substantial.

Yeah. Its actually a bit smaller than I expected. I haven't seen any comparisons on the internet with the TT Core V1 and the Sugo 13.

Heres some hot take impressions:

-Certainly feels like $39.99. No premium appearance or design. Not even a cheapo case fan preinstalled.

-No quality of life improvements like thumb screws or latches to make working in the case easier. You don't want to be in here more than you have to.

-Basic design means that you can't tell its an enthusiast machine. It might as well be mom's PC. But I'm a huge fan of the understated look nowadays. I'm happy with it blending into the background. Aside from small Silverstone logo, theres no additional branding or obnoxiously large logos.

-Power & activity LED's are under the chassis and point downwards towards your desk/surface. Im a huge fan of this because it lets me know the computer is on without lighting up the room at night. My HAF 932 and TT Core V1 have very bright lights and I've had to put electrical tape over them.

-Somehow this case to fits a 150mm ATX PSU and a GPU as long as my EVGA GTX 1070 SC.

-Theres some clearance between the PSU and my stock intel 65w TDP cooler. You might want to get a low profile CPU cooler if you have anything taller than that.

-I installed the PSU upside down and turned off eco mode so the fan helps the processor fan eject hot air out.

-Lol, just lol cable management. Im not going to even attempt that unless I get custom power cables first.

-I DID have to remove the HDD/SDD bracket because of space issues. The SDD is velcro'd onto the floor of the case. That works just fine.

Stats:
Samsung EVO 850 240GB
MSI B150I GAMING PRO AC mITX
EVGA GTX 1070 SC
EVGA G2 Supernova 650W PSU
8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

couple new photos after managing some cables, man that AIO just barely fits.