Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Triticum Guzzler posted:

speculating about whatever percentage stake joe silva may have had is immaterial, if it was a quarter of a percent it'd still be in excess of 10 million bucks, and the dude lives in virginia, not vegas. he's somewhere on the scale between set for life and set for a million lifetimes

Essentially, wasn't the given reason for his departure "I don't have to work anymore, so I'm not working anymore"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

iirc he was pretty burnt out, his job was pretty much his life 24/7

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yeah but what else am I going to do on a monday afternoon?

have you thought about giving inri $300?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Triticum Guzzler posted:

have you thought about giving inri $300?

So he could just waste it on cycling PEDs?! I think not.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

So he could just waste it on cycling PEDs?! I think not.

dont worry .. my bikes already have pedals on them

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
hendricks seemed happier after winning last night than when he won the title

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Hendricks is a fuckin' weirdo. In the build up to 181, when he had won another title fight, had the title and was preparing to defend it, he was still going on about the GSP fight.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
they probably asked him to speak on it, since GSP was a huge draw that had retired

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Skip My Posts posted:

they probably asked him to speak on it, since GSP was a huge draw that had retired

You think 'our current champ whining about an old fight' was a marketing strategy? It sounded silly, but I can sort of see it. I still doubt it and based on what I've seen of Hendricks, I'm pretty sure whining is just an instinct for him.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

n8r posted:

How do you come up with that number? Was he an investor? Why would an employee be given that large of an ownership share?

Lots of bad business theories itt lately.

He was an executive, and almost always executives are compensated with some equity as part of their regular, and almost never are they not compensated during a buy out. Even like middle managers often get equity/compensation during a buyout even if they aren't being laid off. Assuming he had no savings if he had .01% that's still 400k, which would be sufficient for a basement from which you could call Dave meltzer until you died

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
But yes getting paid in equity or having options for equity matching in your compensation isnt like an insane conspiracy theory or anything

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Snowman_McK posted:

You think 'our current champ whining about an old fight' was a marketing strategy? It sounded silly, but I can sort of see it. I still doubt it and based on what I've seen of Hendricks, I'm pretty sure whining is just an instinct for him.

dana whined about it a ton as well

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
I forget which guy it was but someone said a company spinning off a division or subsidiary in an IPO to service debt was a made up fantasy, and its fun to know that there are dudes who are so fully online that they have never read a newspaper or had a single conversation with a dreaded normie

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
To more important matters: in every clip I've seen of Browne and Lewis's final exchange on the feet I haven't actually been able to see Browne get hit with anything. Maybe my eyes are broken but it really looks like he just falls over. I also desperately hope that is what happened

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
it hit him on top of the head as he threw his lovely winging 1-2 with his head bent forward so far he was staring straight at his own feet

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
On the overhead cam you can see Browne's head shake from the impact, but it looks like that Kimbo vs Dada 5000 whiff knockdown from the front.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

david carmichael posted:

To more important matters: in every clip I've seen of Browne and Lewis's final exchange on the feet I haven't actually been able to see Browne get hit with anything. Maybe my eyes are broken but it really looks like he just falls over. I also desperately hope that is what happened

https://vid.me/26Sm - Overhead cam shot that shows the punch landing.

Bonus clip of Mario Yamasaki sacrificing Travis Browne to his dark gods.

threeagainstfour fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Feb 20, 2017

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Yeah it's very clear there. I'm glad he got punched I guess

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Yamasaki deserves ref of the year already.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
he was hurtin lewis with body shots it was a big mistake to trade in the pocket like that with a guy who punches like beast

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Skip My Posts posted:

he was hurtin lewis with body shots it was a big mistake to trade in the pocket like that with a guy who punches like beast

he needs to fight on the outside because hes unco as gently caress

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Browne was always a testament to what you can do with a fair bit of athleticism and literally no talent whatsoever. at 34, there's a good chance that athleticism is seriously going.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Hes a good example of how not to manage your career.

Everyone thought he was gonna be a champ in the locker room then he went to edmond and died.

Its beautiful in a way.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

BlindSite posted:

Hes a good example of how not to manage your career.

Everyone thought he was gonna be a champ in the locker room then he went to edmond and died.

Its beautiful in a way.

He was bad long before he got to Edmond. Pre-Edmond, Werdum systematically picked him apart, winning a dominant decision. Post Edmond, the exact same poo poo happens in almost the exact same way. I knew he'd never be a champ, win-streak be damned. He's at heavyweight, it's actually possible to have a massive win-streak while really, really bad.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

BlindSite posted:

Everyone but Chael.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Browne is a great example of Heavyweight being 50/50 most of the time except for a select group of top-5-ish fighters that will actually fight as opposed to be large and athletic. This being his first loss to a guy who has never been champion might mean that's all on the way out for him.

Which is great because I for one will not miss his spastic flailing and dreadful face/tattoos/personality when they shitcan him.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

I didn't really care that he was a bad spastic fighter with a terrible beard. I did dislike him due to the blatant eye poking of anyone having success against him, acting like a bully rear end in a top hat, and intimidating the poo poo out of a journalist who dared to ask him if he had any comment for the people calling the Mitrione win controversial due to said repeated and blatant eye poking.

Was rooting for Derrick Lewis super hard and was thrilled when he turned that fight around in the second.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Memento posted:

Browne is a great example of Heavyweight being 50/50 most of the time except for a select group of top-5-ish fighters that will actually fight as opposed to be large and athletic. This being his first loss to a guy who has never been champion might mean that's all on the way out for him.

Which is great because I for one will not miss his spastic flailing and dreadful face/tattoos/personality when they shitcan him.

Bigfoot was never champ (unless EliteXC counts for some reason) and nor has Kongo (I know technically that's a draw, but not because Kongo and Browne are both equally good at fighting)

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Snowman_McK posted:

He's at heavyweight, it's actually possible to have a massive win-streak while really, really bad.

are we talking about browne or derrick lewis?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Marching Powder posted:

are we talking about browne or derrick lewis?

Yes.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

david carmichael posted:

which would be sufficient for a basement from which you could call Dave meltzer until you died

This was my position for years (not Dave Meltzer but other mma related people), and yet I grew tired of it. I hope he comes back to the sport soon.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

david carmichael posted:

I forget which guy it was but someone said a company spinning off a division or subsidiary in an IPO to service debt was a made up fantasy, and its fun to know that there are dudes who are so fully online that they have never read a newspaper or had a single conversation with a dreaded normie

Luckily i dont know what that means so i can be pretty sure i wasnt the one who said that, and agree he sounds like a dumbass

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Remember when some guy here was talking about how Conor is dumb because he doesnt know how to file for a C-69 or whatever and revealed that he thinks of peoples intelligence in terms of whether or not theyre an accountant

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Essentially, wasn't the given reason for his departure "I don't have to work anymore, so I'm not working anymore"

From memory he was the only executive who didn't reside in Vegas and the travel was a big factor for him.

With the buyout he probably went from 'I don't have to work' to 'I have an obscene amount of money I couldn't spend in a lifetime' so decided to retire.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

manyak posted:

Remember when some guy here was talking about how Conor is dumb because he doesnt know how to file for a C-69 or whatever and revealed that he thinks of peoples intelligence in terms of whether or not theyre an accountant

I don't remember it but it sounds very much like something someone would post here.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

The GDT was so loving funny I didn't even try to follow along and now it's closed. Bravo, BlueDeanie.

Also my dad didn't understand why I kept calling Travis Browne the Tiki Turd Golem. He also didn't understand what was so funny about the forums line, "Johny Hendricks looks like someone who would consider a bowl of corn a meal."

I clearly need to educate him harder.

Pimp Cauldron
Aug 3, 2002

A twisted pictoral of phoenix, AZ

manyak posted:

that was me, I do poo poo loads of C-69s, in fact I'm going to "C" a 69 with my super hot wife tonite

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

manyak posted:

lol yeah

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Pimp Cauldron posted:

that was me, I do poo poo loads of C-69s, in fact I'm going to "C" a 69 with my super hot wife tonite

Lemme know how you segue into that while she's watching Chef's Table and hasn't had enough wine to let you listlessly paw at her while she thinks of the skinny barista with the forearm tattoos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
i thought it was conor is a dumbass because he didn't take into account the UFC's cost of capital or overhead costs or something when renegotiating his own contract based on his gates/ppv buys

• Locked thread