Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

MF_James posted:

If it is required for his job, the company should at least reimburse him when he passes...

The company should absolutely reimburse training expense however certification requirements are incredibly common in the industry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

The company should absolutely reimburse training expense however certification requirements are incredibly common in the industry.

Requiring one to get a job is different than making you get one once you already have a job though

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Again, read his post history. His employer is awful.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

In regard to the abuse address thing, they were just parsing whois. It was the best they could do at the time.

Few issues with it, fake/nonfunctional abuse addresses, limited quires though api. They were caching by ASN.

I believe they actually gave up on doing it, though they didn't say that explicitly they did state it was a waste of time and that they either don't reply or don't help.

Don't let that discourage you though if it's something you're interested in spending time on, GL.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

PBS posted:

In regard to the abuse address thing, they were just parsing whois. It was the best they could do at the time.

Few issues with it, fake/nonfunctional abuse addresses, limited quires though api. They were caching by ASN.

I believe they actually gave up on doing it, though they didn't say that explicitly they did state it was a waste of time and that they either don't reply or don't help.

Don't let that discourage you though if it's something you're interested in spending time on, GL.
Yeah, I'm not concerned with non-responses. I expect most people to (rightly) not care. On the off chance the abuse sources end up being things like campus ResNets, the main objective is to let the admins respond before we block a thousand students behind a NAT or something from accessing a popular service. Anything else that helps providers spot compromised boxes on their network or otherwise abusive jerks is just icing on top.

And for the record, since a lot of people seem to be really confused by my intent here, this is for like a few dozen IPs at a clip on a coordinated attack, not sending out a thousand a day from Logwatch or something.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

How are people gearing up to handle the expected increase in 'requests' to unlock devices when travelling through borders? I know some companies that send staff to China have a phone and laptop that are only used for that purpose because it's expected that somebody will try to gently caress with them, but the US have been making noises about it as well now. Is all foreign travel going to be reduced to burner phones and laptops that only run Citrix clients?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Thanks Ants posted:

How are people gearing up to handle the expected increase in 'requests' to unlock devices when travelling through borders? I know some companies that send staff to China have a phone and laptop that are only used for that purpose because it's expected that somebody will try to gently caress with them, but the US have been making noises about it as well now. Is all foreign travel going to be reduced to burner phones and laptops that only run Citrix clients?

I guess it was going to happen eventually.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

Easy, don't travel to the US.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thanks Ants posted:

I've been to China multiple times for business during the last 2 years, they never gave a poo poo about the contents of my laptop and phone. Never heard of anyone else travelling there that they had issues either. The only time I heard of a colleague using burners was a guy going to Russia.

The worst experience I had with customs was in the US but didn't involve any kind of laptop or phone accessing.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
afaik the whole burner phone/laptop thing when travelling to china is more about hacking/malware not so much border guards.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

CLAM DOWN posted:

Easy, don't travel to the US.

Hate to say it, but this is the answer. Or for those of us IN the US, don't travel out.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

flosofl posted:

Hate to say it, but this is the answer. Or for those of us IN the US, don't travel out.

Yeah, it actually sucks because there are a lot of legit and good reasons to travel to the US, but right now y'all are making it tough as poo poo.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

theperminator posted:

afaik the whole burner phone/laptop thing when travelling to china is more about hacking/malware not so much border guards.
The border guards are the ones who (allegedly) compromise the devices.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

I have secret clearance. Trying to open my phone or laptop despite me no longer working for the government is a serious offense. I dare the tsa or ice try it.

E: this is obviously if I'm returning to the US and since I'm a resident alien I'm sure I'll be searched now. My laptop is basically ephemeral at this point so I got no problem bricking it just to screw with them.

jaegerx fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Feb 20, 2017

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

jaegerx posted:

I have secret clearance. Trying to open my phone or laptop despite me no longer working for the government is a serious offense. I dare the tsa or ice try it.
The same TSA that's refusing to follow court orders? Yeah I'm sure that'll work.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

jaegerx posted:

E: this is obviously if I'm returning to the US and since I'm a resident alien I'm sure I'll be searched now. My laptop is basically ephemeral at this point so I got no problem bricking it just to screw with them.

The TSA interrogated an active nasa employee who went down to south america for a bit and opened up his phone and laptop. They don't care about you.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

jaegerx posted:

ok have fun.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

jaegerx posted:

It's like every post you make us worst than the last.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Internet Explorer posted:

It's like every post you make us worst than the last.

you contribute so much, please elaborate for me.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

jaegerx posted:

you contribute so much, please elaborate for me.

Pretending secret clearance meaning anything is about on par with "I know kung fu so my hands are registered with the police department as lethal weapons."

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Contingency posted:

"I know kung fu so my hands are registered with the police department as lethal weapons."

This is me though

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Contingency posted:

Pretending secret clearance meaning anything is about on par with "I know kung fu so my hands are registered with the police department as lethal weapons."

you're cute, can we date?

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

jaegerx posted:

Don't you need u.s citizenship to obtain a clearance in the first place?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

IT business cuts working week to 4 days (Google Translate)
- Shortened all meetings to 20 minutes/45 minutes, from 30/60 minutes
- Reconsidered what email employees really needed to act on and took people off lists they weren't needed on
- Various other automation

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

nielsm posted:

IT business cuts working week to 4 days (Google Translate)
- Shortened all meetings to 20 minutes/45 minutes, from 30/60 minutes
- Reconsidered what email employees really needed to act on and took people off lists they weren't needed on
- Various other automation

Just an aside, but you gotta admit it's pretty cool that Google Translate can turn out something coherent now :allears:.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

I dont know many people thst wouldnt be more productive over 4 days, with 3 off after, than they are 5/2.

I may be moving to 4/3, but without the cut hours, but thats for personal convenience.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

sanchez posted:

Pay no attention to Jaegerx, he just makes poo poo up presumably to troll.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

If the guy was travelling in a non-work capacity were NASA ok for him to take a device abroad with sensitive data on it ?

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

mehall posted:

I dont know many people thst wouldnt be more productive over 4 days, with 3 off after, than they are 5/2.

I may be moving to 4/3, but without the cut hours, but thats for personal convenience.

Most people I interact with could work 9 days a week and still be unproductive.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

angry armadillo posted:

If the guy was travelling in a non-work capacity were NASA ok for him to take a device abroad with sensitive data on it ?

I thought he was returning from a professional conference?

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

flosofl posted:

I thought he was returning from a professional conference?

not according to the link posted

quote:

Two weeks ago, Sidd Bikkannavar flew back into the United States after spending a few weeks abroad in South America. An employee of NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL), Bikkannavar had been on a personal trip, pursuing his hobby of racing solar-powered cars. He had recently joined a Chilean team, and spent the last weeks of January at a race in Patagonia.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

sanchez posted:

i never said what government

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

As someone with secret clearance, my policy when traveling abroad is to not bring devices with privileged information on them.

If I need privileged information at my destination, there will be a process to access it.

Unnecessarily invasive border searches are something I'm personally against, but it has no impact on me professionally.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Having a NATO travel order helps, too.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

If there's one thing that Trump goons respect, it's the authority of NATO

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Well considering how they detained a former prime minister with a diplomatic passport... :smith:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Thoughts on PuralSight for training?

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

The Fool posted:

As someone with secret clearance, my policy when traveling abroad is to not bring devices with privileged information on them.

If I need privileged information at my destination, there will be a process to access it.

Unnecessarily invasive border searches are something I'm personally against, but it has no impact on me professionally.

I have a certain level of clearance, my employer does not let me travel with my sensitive devices.

I found this out when they sent me abroad with a burner laptop and phone :(

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Tab8715 posted:

I liked it as a nice change of pace from CBT Nuggets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Tab8715 posted:

Maybe it was just the course I was taking or maybe things have changed, but their practice exams were a joke and didn't even come close to preparing you for the test. This was for the first test of the MCSA a few years ago. I passed, but all their tests did was make me think the test was a lot easier than it actually was.

Actually, the course was pretty much the same thing. Didn't even come close to prepping you for the test.