Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

No Snubbull ate all the 12 candy evolutions from gen2. Sorry!

So... So many dogs...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.

mastershakeman posted:

whoever gets kicked out of a gym needs to be randomized because it's yet another rich get richer thing

The rich get richer to the tune of a dollar a day. Bring an end to the madness.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Yikes.

DapperDuck
Apr 3, 2008

Fashionable people,
you're out of luck.
The most dapper one here,
is Dapper the Duck.
Are shinies in this game yet?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

NickBlasta posted:

The rich get richer to the tune of a dollar a day. Bring an end to the madness.

It's probably less than that, as I doubt many people are holding 10 gyms every day. Doesn't make it any less bullshit though

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Are held items for Gen 2 evolutions just randomly given out by pokestops? I've got 100 slowpoke candy and a Slowbro just waiting to become a Slowking. I'm planning on heading into my city centre tommorow, so I'm interested in seeing what I can find.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

I'm always thankful when articles like these have pictures of the thing that wrote them because lol

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

OldMemes posted:

Are held items for Gen 2 evolutions just randomly given out by pokestops? I've got 100 slowpoke candy and a Slowbro just waiting to become a Slowking. I'm planning on heading into my city centre tommorow, so I'm interested in seeing what I can find.

They're just randomly given out by stops and are pretty rare. So far I've found a King's Rock and Dragon Scale from spinning probably several hundred stops in the last week.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Fish Of Doom posted:

They're just randomly given out by stops and are pretty rare. So far I've found a King's Rock and Dragon Scale from spinning probably several hundred stops in the last week.

I'll just keep hitting them up and get them sooner or later then. Honestly "just keep playing till something happens and its something you need" is a large part of this game already.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
It looks a 7 day streak of stops awards one of them too.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

NickBlasta posted:

The rich get richer
In my experience, Dragonite and Tyranitar only spawn where rich people live.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

There's a man near me who has a pet falcon, and his house is a spawn point. Sometime this game has wierd coincidences.

Though it's not often bird type pokemon.

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.

OldMemes posted:

You get 1 guaranteed for a 7 day streak, otherwise it's about a 1% chance per spin.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

Louisgod posted:

I'm always thankful when articles like these have pictures of the thing that wrote them because lol

I compulsively tried to spin this dude's face.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Willsun posted:

Yup, Poliwrath was one of many barely-viable Pokemon that isn't the common gym stuffers that got axed for no reason because Niantic apparently wants to keep it so people only put Dragonite/Gyarados/Blissey/Snorlax/Vaporeon/Rhydon in gyms.

I always stop leveling my Pokémon up at 30 because the dust and candy cost goes way up after that. I have a level 30 bubble/hydro pump Poli wrath I put in gyms when it was still relevant and I don't regret the investment since I knew when to quit. The only exceptions for me are vaporeon and Gyarados since they have high CP ceilings and unlike snorlax or dragonite I never run out of candy. I know gyarados is a mediocre defender but with some gyms it helps to have 3000 CP. I guess rhydon is also in that category but those aren't as common where I live so I only completely maxed out one.

quote:

1 of the 2 quick moves Blissey has is Zen Headbutt so have fun with that one. Not to mention 1 of 3 charge moves it has is Psychic. You're going to die before getting a chance to see how well you can beat the clock with Machamp alone unless you have it at like 2700 cp (which is approachable if you're roughly level 36 or 37 yourself).

At 3/4th the health of an equally powered up Vaporeon, and the Vaporeon having no type weaknesses to Blissey's movesets along with Eevees being 10x more common to find than a Machop, you might as well use Vaporeon. Remember, there's really only like 5 Pokemon you need for fighting purposes: Vaporeon, Jolteon, Lapras (or best ice), Exeggutor, and Arcanine

And to add to this the Rock Paper Scissors element of this game isn't as important as the main series, so raw stats and dps often trump favorable type matchups.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I wish we could kick out some of the 5k gen 1 hatches. gently caress you, Paras, Ponyta, Ekans, loving Sandshrew!

9 eggs, all hatched poo poo gen1 mon. Not even a single baby. I have another 9 cooking now. At least give me a loving Magby with all the goddamn 5ks!

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.

Cowslips Warren posted:

I wish we could kick out some of the 5k gen 1 hatches. gently caress you, Paras, Ponyta, Ekans, loving Sandshrew!

9 eggs, all hatched poo poo gen1 mon. Not even a single baby. I have another 9 cooking now. At least give me a loving Magby with all the goddamn 5ks!

I got a magby out a 10k today. I don't even know why they would put the babies in the 10 category anyway. They're all useless.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Has anyone seen tiny golbats that are not clickable? Just ridiculously tiny golbats you could step on and you cannot interact with them, but the "i'm here" circles pulse out from them like they're trying to get your attention.
I've seen two, once on two phones at once so I know it's not just my problem.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Krinkle posted:

Has anyone seen tiny golbats that are not clickable? Just ridiculously tiny golbats you could step on and you cannot interact with them, but the "i'm here" circles pulse out from them like they're trying to get your attention.

Yeah it's a really weird bug

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Krinkle posted:

I've seen one too, and it was specifically Golbat. Not sure what the deal is.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
They changed Golbat's model so it probably has to do with that

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
Had three 10ks hatch, 2 Dratinis and a gligar. This is after I walked 200 km for Dragonite.

But hey, at least I got a Kings Rick for my seventh day bonus. How you doing Politoed?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

GonSmithe posted:

Yeah it's a really weird bug

Bats aren't bugs!

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Is Politoed actually worth anything beyond a dex entry? Or slowking for that matter?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

SKYMALL SCRILLA posted:

Anyone using an apple watch have problems with their steps not counting? I was on a long non-pokemon related walk today and decided to just have it running to count my steps for eggs & candies, but even though the watch registered that I was walking & the app never closed, none of the steps counted. Everything I've read has just been pretty standard "reset app & phone" but I do that fairly regularly and I still notice this happening occasionally, anyone encounter this/know how to fix it?

Mine have not been registering. It been registering, or at the least not constantly. Not sure why. I've been using it constantly since I walk all day at work, but ever since either the last software update or the new Pokémon release, it hasn't been working.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Feb 21, 2017

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

~Coxy posted:

Bats aren't bugs!

:pusheen:

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

~Coxy posted:

Bats aren't bugs!

:five:

The addition of evolution items is a bit odd when they weren't in the first wave and odder that there's no retroactivity for 'mon like Raichu and Eevee and, speaking of those two, it's indeed odd that not every evolution item from the main series is even in Go. But I have hope now that they'll introduce TMs so my previously top-moves fellows and all the dust they represent can be good again and I'll never suffer when they introduce new and better moves again. I don't suppose anyone has ever heard of plans for such from Niantic?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Olothreutes posted:

Is Politoed actually worth anything beyond a dex entry? Or slowking for that matter?

This one I got tops out at 2k. I don't think it is gonna be useful for much.

e: I like that none of the Gen 2 things have the right graphics here
http://www.pogomoves.com/rankings/gym-defense.php

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Feb 21, 2017

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

SuperKlaus posted:

:five:

The addition of evolution items is a bit odd when they weren't in the first wave and odder that there's no retroactivity for 'mon like Raichu and Eevee and, speaking of those two, it's indeed odd that not every evolution item from the main series is even in Go. But I have hope now that they'll introduce TMs so my previously top-moves fellows and all the dust they represent can be good again and I'll never suffer when they introduce new and better moves again. I don't suppose anyone has ever heard of plans for such from Niantic?

If they let you recover that dust and whatever else you sunk into that 'mon you wouldn't have to keep catching new ones. Thus they will never do it, because they need you to keep grinding away. It's not like there aren't a million obvious ways to address that problem, but this is Niantic.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

SuperKlaus posted:

I don't suppose anyone has ever heard of plans [...] from Niantic?
The universal answer to this is "No".

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Olothreutes posted:

Slowking gets fire blast so if people attack gyms with grass or bug it'll surprise them.

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!

bobjr posted:

Slowking gets fire blast so if people attack gyms with grass or bug it'll surprise them.

Yes but type effectiveness and STAB are the same multiplier in this game, right? So if a Slowking uses fire blast on a grass type, it's just as much of an advantage as if it had just used a psychic attack, correct?

I don't get what's so bad about this. The author pretty much opens with "hey so this is quite silly and not mean to be taken very seriously; read it if you want to have some fun, and if you don't want to hey that's alright."

Visual Sneeze fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Feb 21, 2017

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

I don't see what's wrong w this esp with all the caveats? Tbh I'd rather pokemon genders were distinguished in a ton of cool + interesting ways like actual animals, not just by dressing them up like a human 3 yo of that gender.

What I really want is a pokemon which is super dimorphic like an anglerfish: http://www.livescience.com/49330-animal-sex-anglerfish.html

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
combee and salandit count, only the females evolve and the males remain garbage trash forever.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
I just find it funny how an article about sexism and gender stereotypes judges Pokémon strictly by their appearance.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Fusion Restaurant posted:

I don't see what's wrong w this esp with all the caveats? Tbh I'd rather pokemon genders were distinguished in a ton of cool + interesting ways like actual animals, not just by dressing them up like a human 3 yo of that gender.

Which makes Unfezant a cool bird.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
the concept of gender differences was created specifically for wobbuffet imo

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

Mierenneuker posted:

Which makes Unfezant a cool bird.

This is great. Also naming Pokémon for different languages must be insanely hard. You need like a dozen weird puns in different languages

e: Also i somehow missed this, but in the games ditto is basically a shapeshifting sex god?

Fusion Restaurant fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Feb 21, 2017

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug

Fusion Restaurant posted:

e: Also i somehow missed this, but in the games ditto is basically a shapeshifting sex god?

Pretty much. It can breed with any Pokémon besides its own species (pretty sad if you think about it :(), with a couple dozen exceptions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I've still got to get 15 candies for my Vulpix, since they onl;y seem to spawn in one spot very rarely in my town for some reason.

• Locked thread