Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Of all the first 22 players who weren't selected across the league for the first practice game, both newspapers still somehow to make it a story criticising Jack Watts :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Saints are looking like they'll have a pretty much full strength squad for the game against Port this Thursday. The only major exclusion is Montagna who is out for a few weeks with a calf strain. Can't wait for the meltdown on Big Footy if the Saint lose.

In other Saints news: Richo is replacing Buckley as one of the weekly coaches on AFL 360.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Periphery posted:

Saints are looking like they'll have a pretty much full strength squad for the game against Port this Thursday. The only major exclusion is Montagna who is out for a few weeks with a calf strain. Can't wait for the meltdown on Big Footy if the Saint lose.

In other Saints news: Richo is replacing Buckley as one of the weekly coaches on AFL 360.

They wanted someone who will be there come september mid-season may round 3

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Solemn Sloth posted:

They wanted someone who will be there come september mid-season may round 3

Can we figure out a way that both Buckley and Hardwick get the sack as a result of the Tigers v Pies game in round two? Both will probably gone halfway through the year if they clearly aren't going to make finals.

I do wonder how much the possible firing of a coach plays into the decision of which coaches to have on 360. It'd be great tv at the time of the sacking but could get a bit awkward after a few weeks.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

To be fair 360 has already milked two years of "will he be sacked this week" out of Buckley

I'm sad he won't be on the show because he was quite open compared to many other coaches/players in what he was willing to talk about, and he also made no attempt to hide his absolute contempt for Mark Robinson

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Perkins owns btw.

I had to do this, i'm so sorry.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
gently caress. There goes the premiership and the best & fairest.

quote:

Marquee player Brianna Davey was also sent for scans following the Round 3 contest after a knock to her lower back. The injury is expected to keep the versatile defender on the sidelines for at least the next two weeks.

“Bri Davey took a knock to her lower back and subsequently sustained a lower back injury. Unfortunately, that will keep her off the field for about two weeks,” Keeping said.
http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2017-02-21/aflw-blues-lose-key-defensive-duo

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
how many coaches have been sacked within a week of winning their last game?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Good news for Adelaide though

quote:

Injured Crows forward Kellie Gibson is hopeful of lining up against Fremantle on Sunday.

Gibson, 20, rolled her ankle in the opening minute of the Club’s AFLW win over Carlton on Sunday and took no further part in the game.

The marquee player had scans on Monday, which cleared her of any serious damage.

Also Tayla Thorn was given a reprimand for front on contact with Davey

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

Periphery posted:

Can we figure out a way that both Buckley and Hardwick get the sack as a result of the Tigers v Pies game in round two? Both will probably gone halfway through the year if they clearly aren't going to make finals.

I do wonder how much the possible firing of a coach plays into the decision of which coaches to have on 360. It'd be great tv at the time of the sacking but could get a bit awkward after a few weeks.

Robbo could hit him with some tough questions like "whaddaya w, uh, wwheres dyo think yyyou ugh I mean, what's deal Bucks?"

e: just realised Robbo is the AFL's own Dr Steve Brule

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Solemn Sloth posted:

Of all the first 22 players who weren't selected across the league for the first practice game, both newspapers still somehow to make it a story criticising Jack Watts :psyduck:

Isn't the story that he didn't reach required fitness benchmarks?

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

drunkill posted:

gently caress. There goes the premiership and the best & fairest.

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2017-02-21/aflw-blues-lose-key-defensive-duo

Erin Phillips and Adelaide were always going to get those. :colbert:

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Chairchucker posted:

Erin Phillips and Adelaide were always going to get those. :colbert:

Close second, perhaps.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

realbez posted:

Isn't the story that he didn't reach required fitness benchmarks?

On the one hand, we have a guy who has never had any problems with attitude or standards at training but has suddenly fattened up over the pre-season and can't be assed putting work in

On the other hand, we have its the first practice game and Goodwin wants to use it to throw some magnets around, because based on last year he knows where Watts is likely to be round 1.

Spencer spent more time in the Ruck than Gawn on the weekend, I don't think it means we're reorganising our depth chart around.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yeah I know not getting picked for a preseason game says absolutely nothing about a player but the story I saw on the news was that he wasn't picked because he isn't fit and is struggling to get fit.

Edit: like obviously I can't say if it is true or not but what they reported was he isn't fit enough and might not get fit for round 1.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

pkid posted:

Geez who told Dusty the best way to go about this was on A Current Affair of all loving places.

I feel a bit sorry for Dusty, it would be pretty hard for someone in the spotlight like he is, who clearly doesn't like it, to have one of his parents deported would be rough.
But equating a footy club to a bikie club is a pretty loving long bow to draw.

He isn't exactly wrong though. If his past crimes, of which his last was over a decade ago now, werent enough to deport him then how is "being a bikie" worthwhile of one? The concept of laws that restrict who we are allowed to hang around with is just heinous.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Solemn Sloth posted:

8+ weeks for Rougheads hamstring

Tore the tendon where it joins with the knee, should be training by Easter

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Nutsngum posted:

He isn't exactly wrong though. If his past crimes, of which his last was over a decade ago now, werent enough to deport him then how is "being a bikie" worthwhile of one? The concept of laws that restrict who we are allowed to hang around with is just heinous.

I'm pretty happy that people who associate with serious organised crime groups, and indeed play a role in the leadership of those groups, are told to gently caress off out of the country if they're on a visa.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
David Myers broke again

6 weeks for a ruptured finger tendon. at least he shouldn't have lost any fitness with an injury like that

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

TG-Chrono posted:

I'm pretty happy that people who associate with serious organised crime groups, and indeed play a role in the leadership of those groups, are told to gently caress off out of the country if they're on a visa.

Unless you break a criminal law the government should have zero say in who you associate with.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

TG-Chrono posted:

Yeah this is babbies first step down the jolly path to fascism.

If the cops, with the entire power of the state behind them, can't prove you did a thing that is against the law, then they should not be able to deport you because they don't like who you hang out with.

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009
On the other hand, he's a kiwi.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Nutsngum posted:

Unless you break a criminal law the government should have zero say in who you associate with.

I am not educated on this topic at all, but isn't simply associating with those gangs in a public place against the law now? I thought that was the point of the "bikie laws" or whatever they're called.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

cmndstab posted:

I am not educated on this topic at all, but isn't simply associating with those gangs in a public place against the law now? I thought that was the point of the "bikie laws" or whatever they're called.

His point isn't a legal one. Its a philosophical one. If the government starts chipping away at the freedom to associate of one group of people, where will it move onto next? Unions? Students? Its unlikely to happen but that sort of thing really needs to guarded against rather seriously.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

cmndstab posted:

Yeah and basically every single lawyer, judge etc who has the slightest clue has strongly criticised the introduction of such laws as absolute loving bullshit and harmful authoritarian populism.

But that doesn't stop the herald sun/courier mail/daily tele readers from baying for them while simultaneously complaining about how much of a nanny state we've become.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

hiddenmovement posted:

His point isn't a legal one. Its a philosophical one. If the government starts chipping away at the freedom to associate of one group of people, where will it move onto next? Unions? Students? Its unlikely to happen but that sort of thing really needs to guarded against rather seriously.

I was originally thinking more "banning minority groups such as gay/lesbian etc.." but the union/student thing is just as relevant. No better way to smash labour laws then literally make unionising illegal by considering them "undesirable groups".

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

It's not that outlandish given both the current Liberal government and the one before that has introduced laws specifically to attack unions despite them causing an increase in worksite fatalities last time around.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Nutsngum posted:

I was originally thinking more "banning minority groups such as gay/lesbian etc.." but the union/student thing is just as relevant. No better way to smash labour laws then literally make unionising illegal by considering them "undesirable groups".

Don't forget political action groups like GetUp!, Greenpeace, and Sea Shepherd

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Lot of typical conflation of anti association laws, which are bad, with use of visa policy, which is an expected part of security. If someone is stopped at a port of entry and told they can't enter because of prior criminality, it is not fascistic.

Also, to expect Law Enforcement to not collect information on the associations of major criminal elements is to say you think they should have no understanding of the criminal environment in which they operate and work to disrupt and prevent future criminal activity. That they be solely reactive. Which is Lleyonhelm levels of dumb.

Needless to say, going to ACA to give a sob story about your father who has undoubtedly contributed to major negative trends in society is a sure way to get me to tell you to gently caress right off.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Actually it's not about security, it's about the ongoing politicisation of discretionary powers like the "character test" which aren't subject to merits review (a review is only allowed to consider whether the minister legally was allowed to make a decision, not whether the decision made was the correct one)

There is a big difference between police gathering intelligence on criminal organisations, which no one here has argued against, and association laws. You're trying to conflate opposition to the latter with opposition to the former.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

There's a debate going on about getting rid of the bounce, and I'm all for it. Sure the sentiment of keeping it is nice, but the flat feeling when there's a shithouse centre bounce is something the game could do without. Even the fact that it's lopsided just makes ruck contents unfair occasionally, compared to just throwing it up. Make the umpires jobs easier.

quote:

Jordan Bannister
‏@JordanBannister

Great decision makers don't umpire AFL if they can't bounce. Best decision makers should be the priority. Not bouncing like a globetrotter 🙄

Interesting insight from Bannister.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Yeah, totally agree. The bounce is one of the least important qualities in an umpire (decision making, impartiality, cool headedness, game sense, fitness), it's dumb that there's a possibility for umpires who have all those qualities to be discouraged from umpiring at the highest level because they haven't mastered a trick.

Also it will piss off a bunch of old idiots who dont know poo poo and probably last watched a game in the 80s, so added bonus.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Zero bounces in the AFLW and zero care factor in it being there.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

There are ways to gently caress up a toss too but not at AFL level.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I was raised on the dairy, BITCH!
Bounce it at the start of every quarter to keep a bit of tradition in the game and be done with it.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Windmill Hut posted:

Interesting insight from Bannister.

I like that we still bounce it at the start of the quarter or after a goal, but he makes an interesting point. Get rid of it if it is really keeping good umpires out.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

pkid posted:

Bounce it at the start of every quarter to keep a bit of tradition in the game and be done with it.
This seems like a reasonable solution. I like the theatre of the bounce (much as I like the twirl of the goal flags) and keeping it for the start of quarters feels right, but after that do ball ups. This way you only need one who's competent at it.

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

time to get prolific with
the whiz kid
I feel like the problem with keeping the bounce just for the start of a quarter means that they still need to train for it, which doesn't really solve the problems that come with having to bounce the ball over and over. That said, having one designated ball bouncer while they scale back to the start of a quarter and then eventually phase the bounce out entirely might work.

I think the bounce is good for tradition and spectacle, but I don't think I'd miss it.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Install rockets in the ball, place ball on ground, initiate thrusters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Solemn Sloth posted:

Install rockets in the ball, place ball on ground, initiate thrusters
Whole 20 minutes of quarter elapses while everyone's waiting for the ball to come down. Which, when it does, it does so somewhere in the Bass Strait, so they have to relaunch.

• Locked thread