Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

..btt posted:

Does it support changing aspect ratio of the viewport or capturing arbitrary windows yet? How about full keyboard support, or inputting symbols?

If it did these things, or just most of them, I'd use it.

I don't know what the aspect ratio holdup is still, but thats above me.

Full keyboard and symbols should be fixed in the next build as well. Talking about that with the team right now actually because thats gone on far too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Sounds promising, thanks!

Kassoon
Nov 16, 2005

gonna hit you with his cockatrice
tried oculus at a best buy for the first time and it was pretty neat, but I still don't want to spend $800 for a novelty without a lot of complete games. Also the demo was like 5 minutes and you got another thing coming if you expect me to all-in on a system based on a little climby thing, but from what I can tell poking around there aren't any demos for PSVR or Vive within a 30min drive. Anyway, the OP hasn't been updated in a while but from what I could see the PSVR seems like a decent compromise between quality, price, and content. Is it supported on Steam or PC in any way or is it strictly a PS4 only sort of deal? Also, is there a huge difference between using it with a Pro or not.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Kassoon posted:

tried oculus at a best buy for the first time and it was pretty neat, but I still don't want to spend $800 for a novelty without a lot of complete games. Also the demo was like 5 minutes and you got another thing coming if you expect me to all-in on a system based on a little climby thing, but from what I can tell poking around there aren't any demos for PSVR or Vive within a 30min drive. Anyway, the OP hasn't been updated in a while but from what I could see the PSVR seems like a decent compromise between quality, price, and content. Is it supported on Steam or PC in any way or is it strictly a PS4 only sort of deal? Also, is there a huge difference between using it with a Pro or not.

There's a third party PSVR on PC product, can't vouch for it personally but others say it works.

Using a Pro mostly gets you better AA, it's not a huge difference since games are already rock solid VR-friendly framerates on a non-Pro.

There's a dedicated PSVR thread too.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
PS4VR is for big gay babies. Drop the $800 on a Vive or a Rift. They are both good. But seriously only purchase them if you're willing to throw money away. I love my Rift but it is a none justifiable purchase. Like a motorcycle or some poo poo.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

I chose PSVR and don't regret it, I don't have screen door effect and I do have great games to play.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
PSVR has a really nice screen so I'm probably going to try out Trinus pretty soon. Also going to sell my oculus and get in on the next vive sale cause I miss that thing.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Hows the PSVR outlook look though? Is there enough content coming out to keep it going vs how Sony handled the Vita?

What about that robot fighting game that looked pretty cool, yet Sony closed the studio shortly after release? That just doesn't bode well especially since they killed off the team that did Wipeput which was consistently one of the best games on any Platform the released, even if it was usually a remaster/port. Wipeout on the PS4 would have been gorgeous.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Real talk if trinus isn't awesome I may just sell the PSVR too. I've spent solid time with all 3 headsets AMA

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
PSVR is total garbage in comparison with Rift/Vive. If you want to really "get" the VR experience you need a Vive or Rift+Touch, and about a 7ft x 7ft play area and a pretty beefy PC. If you can't pull this off you might want to wait a bit.

It is early days for VR still, but there are a few gems like Onward, Super Hot VR and Audioshield that show off the real gaming potential of VR. There are a lot of clever tech demo-y types of games that are kind of novelty and don't have a ton of replayability as well as some non-gaming experiences like Google Earth VR that really just blow you away. There are a number of big budget VR games, along with stuff like Fallout 4 VR, coming out that might start to move VR from where it is now, where it is kind of between cutting edge early adopter level and into a kind of mainstream enthusiast area.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

mellowjournalism posted:

PSVR has a really nice screen so I'm probably going to try out Trinus pretty soon. Also going to sell my oculus and get in on the next vive sale cause I miss that thing.

Why? I just recently opted for a three sensor Rift over a Vive after playing both at PAX south. I just really liked the polish on the hardware of the Rift. Figured it was worth the tradeoff for slightly inferior tracking tech.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Trinus PSVR does just fine for what it is. There aren't any easy motion control setups but stationary VR games with a controller are amazing.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
The PSVR is pretty good, although it isn't the same premium experience that the Rift and Vive are. Especially with the tracked controllers.

Also, what is your categorization for "complete games"? I mean, people might consider Minecraft VR to be a complete game. The Oculus Home store has lots of what I consider complete games. Out of those, I think these are the most traditional:

Elite: Dangerous
Obduction
Damaged Core
Edge of Nowhere
Chronos
Dirt Rally
Fantastic Contraption
Project CARS
Defense Grid 2
Redout

There are, of course, many more.
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

App13 posted:

I'll be playing some rec room, BAM, climbey, be chat etc. this evening. Steam ID is App13. Look for the triangle avatar

hey bud, added you. been a while

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

EdEddnEddy posted:

Hows the PSVR outlook look though? Is there enough content coming out to keep it going vs how Sony handled the Vita?

What about that robot fighting game that looked pretty cool, yet Sony closed the studio shortly after release? That just doesn't bode well especially since they killed off the team that did Wipeput which was consistently one of the best games on any Platform the released, even if it was usually a remaster/port. Wipeout on the PS4 would have been gorgeous.

There has consistently been a new drop of content every Tuesday, though there was a bit of a drought after the Christmas rush.

With releases like Resident Evil 7 it really feels like the platform is growing up, though admittedly many releases are still less than "full AAA game" status.

Come check out the PSVR thread, we are friendly.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

EdEddnEddy posted:

I don't know what the aspect ratio holdup is still, but thats above me.

Full keyboard and symbols should be fixed in the next build as well. Talking about that with the team right now actually because thats gone on far too long.

Please ask them if they can do a webcam feed... I wanted it to point a cam at my keyboard since I don't know how to touch-type... but I realize it will also be super handy for Vive since you could activate the front-camera feed and have a "real-world" camera going during your games.

Kassoon
Nov 16, 2005

Dehry posted:

Trinus PSVR does just fine for what it is. There aren't any easy motion control setups but stationary VR games with a controller are amazing.

Alright thanks, this claims to add motion support for the move controls: https://github.com/cboulay/PSMoveService

Nalin posted:

The PSVR is pretty good, although it isn't the same premium experience that the Rift and Vive are. Especially with the tracked controllers.

Also, what is your categorization for "complete games"? I mean, people might consider Minecraft VR to be a complete game. The Oculus Home store has lots of what I consider complete games. Out of those, I think these are the most traditional:

Elite: Dangerous
Obduction
Damaged Core
Edge of Nowhere
Chronos
Dirt Rally
Fantastic Contraption
Project CARS
Defense Grid 2
Redout

There are, of course, many more.
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/

I generally wait on consoles until there are 3-4 games I consider must-haves, but the rift demo was my very first exposure to it. So far I'd consider RE7 worthwhile, but I'll look into those games you listed, thanks

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Zero VGS posted:

Please ask them if they can do a webcam feed... I wanted it to point a cam at my keyboard since I don't know how to touch-type... but I realize it will also be super handy for Vive since you could activate the front-camera feed and have a "real-world" camera going during your games.

Yep we are working on outside app feeds and such as well.

One thing I really don't quite get though. With the Openness of the tracking for vive and hell, using the included tracker that came with the Oculus, why the hell has nobody made a VR Tracking enabled Keyboard/Mouse?

I mean really, all you have to do is allow them to be tracked, then just have the runtime have a visual for it ingame as well as when buttons are pressed, and you would be golden with input while in VR.

Your hands wouldn't be fully tracked, but you could get pretty close without, and if someone was really good, they could make a keyboard with touch sensitive buttons so you could see where your hands rest at least.

Ah well. Guess I should get a Kickstarter going for that.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
It would be expensive to do on the Vive (the keyboard/mouse would need built-in laser receivers and would need to communicate with the headset).

The Rift would be easier (just need some LEDs to blink at certain frequencies) but of course you'd need to program it into your game, or else make an overlay app and as you know from your own overlay app it's a lot of work.

Mainly I think it's slow to come out because I don't use VR for productivity, I use it to play awesome touch games, so I'm not giving a keyboard/mouse any thought with the exception of Virtual Desktop, which is neat but pointless when there's Actual Desktop.

I do like the idea of a keyboard with all keys having capacitive touch sensing though, that might be able to be done inexpensively, and if it popped a keyboard up on screen when you touch the keyboard and shows where your fingers are, I could probably type decently.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Zero VGS posted:

It would be expensive to do on the Vive (the keyboard/mouse would need built-in laser receivers and would need to communicate with the headset).

The Rift would be easier (just need some LEDs to blink at certain frequencies) but of course you'd need to program it into your game, or else make an overlay app and as you know from your own overlay app it's a lot of work.

Mainly I think it's slow to come out because I don't use VR for productivity, I use it to play awesome touch games, so I'm not giving a keyboard/mouse any thought with the exception of Virtual Desktop, which is neat but pointless when there's Actual Desktop.

I do like the idea of a keyboard with all keys having capacitive touch sensing though, that might be able to be done inexpensively, and if it popped a keyboard up on screen when you touch the keyboard and shows where your fingers are, I could probably type decently.

The keyboard/mouse wouldn't need to communicate with the headset, just the computer, which they already do, and photodiodes are even cheaper than the LEDs for the Rift to track. Keyboard would be easy; mouse is a little trickier since it's hard to place the sensors where they wouldn't be occluded by your hand, but honestly they don't really need to; while you have your hand on the mouse it's being tracked because it's a mouse, not by lighthouse sensors. Having tracking sensors on the mouse would mostly serve to keep track of where it was so you could grab it (and if you decided to wave it around in the air for some reason, I guess).

Doing it for the Rift would be tricky because the more devices the rift is tracking the more fiddly tracking gets (since the LEDs have to pulse in more complex patterns). It's not that you couldn't, it's just that how much does your keyboard really move around? It might be more effective just to tape it to your desk and add a guardian step where you mark where the keyboard is.

Probably more important would be tracked gloves so you could see where your hands were, but companies are already working on that. Honestly, though, if you're wearing tracked gloves why do you need a mouse at all? Just put a hockey puck on your desk and pretend it's a mouse. With sufficiently precise tracking the same might even be true of the keyboard; just make a finger gesture and a virtual keyboard appears under your hand, though tactile feedback might be more important there.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

All a tracked keyboard would need is some kind of mount for a Vive tracker, it wouldn't even need to be electrically connected except maybe for power. A mouse is a little harder due to it's form factor but not impossible; you could technically use an unmodified Vive remote as a really uncomfortable mouse if you wanted.

Constellation is more than blinking LEDs. There needs to be internal circuitry for sync, an IMU for sensor fusion as well as some kind of radio for communication with the host.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
It looks like Ultrawings, some sort of VR Pilotwings, launched today on Oculus Home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqx_TPFjgEo

Rift exclusive for now.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
lol vr exclusives

id :filez: it before i ever bought it

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Landfall also launched today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCbw8DZvwuQ

It looks to be an RTS with singleplayer, co-op campaign, 1v1, and 2v2 modes.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

Nalin posted:

It looks like Ultrawings, some sort of VR Pilotwings, launched today on Oculus Home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqx_TPFjgEo

Rift exclusive for now.

Just flying my gyrocopter around, shooting at balloons with a revolver. Classic

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Kassoon posted:

Alright thanks, this claims to add motion support for the move controls: https://github.com/cboulay/PSMoveService

Oh man haha look I love my PSVR but let's be clear: the motion controllers are just repurposed PS3 Move controllers so they are straight up a generation behind VR. Trinus support would be an amusing novelty but you know what no not even that. Shudder

Welp here's my VR purchasing story. My PC juuuuuuuuust barely qualifies for VR specs. I bought all 3 headsets in Oct when PSVR came out to try them out head to head. Twas all amazing and happy sampling things here and there at first, until motion sickness started kicking in, at unpredictable times and with unexpected games. This made the considerable setup involved with PCVR an ordeal. Us nerds are reluctant to admit it but early on, the spin-up time to get a game going could be anywhere from "download and play" to "find drivers, buy a new goddamn USB card, contact support, recalibrate my loving headset for temperature, restart the computer fifty times, play for a minute and then lol when it crashes" whereas PSVR is generally download and play. The headband is also a trillion times better than both the Vive/Rift straps (and you can see both them and third parties taking cues in their next iterations). So with dramamine and PSVR I got my VR-legs and went hog wild. Only then was I motivated to fix up my PC setup and dive in. By that time I already returned the Vive because they have a sweet return policy, but I knew what I liked about it. Then I got the Oculus Touch controllers and enjoyed those. After a couple of months with VR and getting my mind blown by SuperHot, Gorn, and low-FPS Onward, I now know that I personally must have roomscale in my life. I am now ready to buy a new CPU/mobo and become lawnmower man.

So what do I think? I'll be careful not to step on toes.

Right now at this exact moment, the Vive/Rift experience is pretty evenly offset with minor quirks that ultimately don't really mean poo poo because they can both play most of the same games equally well. So let's just lump them in together as PCVR for now.

-If you don't have a PC, already have a PS4, and just wanna get in on VR and see what it's all about, it's worth it and it's fun. RE7 is an actual game and the experience is maybe quadrupled in VR.
-Do not buy a Pro for VR. Sony would have to come up with next-gen controllers for that to be worth it. The games run just fine on a normal PS4 and the catalog is still slim. But RE7 did well and demand is insanely high so the platform will not die just yet.
-If you already have a VR-ready PC, then another ~$800 is probably worth the investment because development is really starting to heat up and there are some pretty enjoyable games and even better betas/demos/one-shots
-If you already have a Rift you should just get your third sensor already
-If you have neither a PC nor a PS4 but really want to get into VR then we have more questions for you before continuing. Nerds will kneejerk defend their purchasing decision but that's not what's appropriate for your budget, your preferences, and also your living situation.

I'm on the fence about selling my PSVR. After RE7 there's not too much to look forward to in the near future, but the platform could do very well, specifically in cockpit and FPS games that don't use roomscale. Right now developers are pretty all or nothing with VR, when really they should be looking at more transitional games and implementations. Imagine Battlefield 1 or even SWBF with VR freelook. If RE7 can be done, how far are we from COD? I love roomscale stuff and everything VR-AMAZING-WOW-DROOL but could we just...take some existing games that are already very good ACTUAL GAMES and then make them VR-able?

Hopefully Sony sees all the cool stuff going on with Doom VR and the whole modding scene with PC games and starts moving in that direction. X-wing VR mission was really awesome but you could see how much money they wasted on making brand spanking new content with voices and level design and etc etc etc. When what it really demonstrated was that a modified SWBF flight system using existing SWBF assets could be a totally awesome and flyable VR experience for any casual PS4 owner. But eh really I'm just impatient. Hopefully Elite Dangerous on PS4 can get their CQC servers populated.

Bum the Sad posted:

Why? I just recently opted for a three sensor Rift over a Vive after playing both at PAX south. I just really liked the polish on the hardware of the Rift. Figured it was worth the tradeoff for slightly inferior tracking tech.

Right now they're on arguably equal footing and I won't go further than that here. For me personally I'll say:
-I like the Oculus Touch controllers but am more excited for the Vive knuckles
-I want roomscale and prefer the Lighthouse implementation

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

mellowjournalism posted:

X-wing VR mission was really awesome but you could see how much money they wasted on making brand spanking new content with voices and level design and etc etc etc. When what it really demonstrated was that a modified SWBF flight system using existing SWBF assets could be a totally awesome and flyable VR experience for any casual PS4 owner.

If EA has any brains at all, right now the team that did that is throwing together another dozen or so missions with the same scope and a frame story to glue them all together.

quote:

But eh really I'm just impatient. Hopefully Elite Dangerous on PS4 can get their CQC servers populated.

I wish they'd go ahead and announce that ED on PS4 will support PSVR. They haven't officially done this yet but if it doesn't the game is DOA and everyone knows it so just get it over with.

Kassoon
Nov 16, 2005

mellowjournalism posted:

Oh man haha look I love my PSVR but let's be clear: the motion controllers are just repurposed PS3 Move controllers so they are straight up a generation behind VR. Trinus support would be an amusing novelty but you know what no not even that. Shudder

Great post thank you, as you said it's difficult to get unbiased opinions so I appreciate hearing from someone that's tried all 3. My main interest in PSVR + Trinus is getting effectively double the library for less cost, and also possibly porting my game to it ala Minecraft VR. You might say "well just go for it" on the latter point alone, but I kind of doubt VR-only sales would fully recoup the cost so it would mainly be for the games. Even if the Move controllers were super primitive it would be worth it to me just for loving around with, and I could maybe buy touch controllers separately if I wanted to do more with it.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Kassoon posted:

Great post thank you, as you said it's difficult to get unbiased opinions so I appreciate hearing from someone that's tried all 3. My main interest in PSVR + Trinus is getting effectively double the library for less cost, and also possibly porting my game to it ala Minecraft VR. You might say "well just go for it" on the latter point alone, but I kind of doubt VR-only sales would fully recoup the cost so it would mainly be for the games. Even if the Move controllers were super primitive it would be worth it to me just for loving around with, and I could maybe buy touch controllers separately if I wanted to do more with it.

Oculus's Touch controllers unfortunately can't be used separately; they communicate with the headset, not the PC. I think Vive's controllers are the same, though I'm not 100% certain?

It'll be interesting to see whether a market picks up for third party controllers once all the windows 10 HMDs come out, though. In theory it shouldn't be too expensive to produce camera-tracked controllers that are a generation up from Moves.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

NRVNQSR posted:

Oculus's Touch controllers unfortunately can't be used separately; they communicate with the headset, not the PC. I think Vive's controllers are the same, though I'm not 100% certain?

It'll be interesting to see whether a market picks up for third party controllers once all the windows 10 HMDs come out, though. In theory it shouldn't be too expensive to produce camera-tracked controllers that are a generation up from Moves.

Yeah, Vive controllers are the same.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I'm pretty sure vive controllers talk to the breakout box, so in theory you could make em work, though it seems highly unlikely in practice due to very different positional tracking systems as there's no easy way to calibrate the two systems.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Funny thing is, Sony has already outdone the Move- the DS4 itself has the sensors for it and tracks better than Moves. It's just the wrong shape for a proper motion controller, heavy and unbalanced and prone to occlusion. If they rolled that tech into the Move shell and pushed out Move 2.0 that would be a huge boost for PSVR.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Truga posted:

I'm pretty sure vive controllers talk to the breakout box, so in theory you could make em work, though it seems highly unlikely in practice due to very different positional tracking systems as there's no easy way to calibrate the two systems.

No, the Vive controllers communicate with the headset. The breakout box contains Bluetooth for communication with the base stations and the HTC software's cell phone integration.

The Vive wands use the same basic RF system as the Steam Controller, which has been rumored to be a proprietary Bluetooth variant but I don't believe it's ever been confirmed. You can reflash Steam Controller dongles to support Vive wands and vice versa, in fact this is the current "official" solution for 3+ wands.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I can definitely see the vive wands on my plain old chomebook bluetooth (though trying to connect obviously does nothing), so it's definitely a form of BT.

e: Oh, maybe it's the lighthouses, now that I think about it.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

wolrah posted:

You can reflash Steam Controller dongles to support Vive wands and vice versa, in fact this is the current "official" solution for 3+ wands.

Oh, cool, so we could potentially see standalone Vive controllers somewhere down the line without a new iteration of the hardware. Unfortunately I'm not sure what situation would make that make sense for HTC.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That's cool that it's possible to link the Vive controllers to the steam controller dongle. Would be cool to see what people could do with motion tracked controllers on a 2D screen.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

That's cool that it's possible to link the Vive controllers to the steam controller dongle. Would be cool to see what people could do with motion tracked controllers on a 2D screen.
This probably isn't what you had in mind, but I think its kinda cool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDawcQiptZA

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Valve have been trying to get people to build third party lighthouse tracked controllers - https://www.engadget.com/2016/08/04/htc-vive-open-source/

I'm personally rather surprised that lighthouse tracked keyboards and mouses aren't already a thing.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Okay, finally got the chance to do some VR tonight. Is the relevant steam group still "Vive Having Goons" or is there another one?

Edit: Quest was pretty fun.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Feb 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Valve have been trying to get people to build third party lighthouse tracked controllers - https://www.engadget.com/2016/08/04/htc-vive-open-source/

I'm personally rather surprised that lighthouse tracked keyboards and mouses aren't already a thing.

I was speaking with some VR startup guys tonight and they said you have to take a Valve offered class to get access to the software side of the lighthouse tracking stuff. Said class is also apparently booked up all to hell.

Anyone know if the Vive can track the controllers as well as a tracking puck? I heard tonight that it could only handle two objects.