Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Hey I'm late to the game on WM2 I know, but this whole thing with Abydon and Ondra is really good and a blast to read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Aw poo poo, you're just doing that? Wait til you get to the big final bit, it's a blast.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Don't you find a three-wide formation cramped though? A lot of dungeons felt like they were designed for a two-column party.

Not even a little. The only times I've had even the slightest amount of trouble was on extremely cramped walkways (such as the path to the Hand of Caed Nua or during the Vithrack portion of the Endless Paths), and even then those were mostly nuisances of having to reposition Grieving Mother for ability effectiveness rather than actual tactical issues. I've found that I have the least amount of problems in cramped areas, honestly - it's much easier to hit the entire party with Crowns For The Faithful or Consecrated Ground.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Japan!

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

:same:

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

2house2fly posted:

Aw poo poo, you're just doing that? Wait til you get to the big final bit, it's a blast.

Yeah nobody spoil nothin. I've beat the main game a couple times but never WM2.

I know it's trite to say it reminds me of Morrowind (the whole living god thing) but it really does and both of these games have a vibe from that premise I really dig. It's more about miracles than magic, if that makes sense.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

White March is drat good stuff, and the whole Abydon/Ondra thing feels suitably "mythological," for lack of a better adjective. It's the feeling of climbing Olympus to talk to Zeus that you don't really get elsewhere in the game.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

It's epic levell poo poo

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Stinky Japan!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I like that the story ends up filling a role which the main game didn't really make enough of- it involves you interacting directly with one of the gods, learning their history, and clearing up their mess. In the main game you get to chat with the gods before the Big Twist but it feels a little perfunctory, and the escalation from being a man about town investigating a cult to meeting gods face-to-face was too sudden. The White March adds steps to the progression (not perfectly; I kind of wish WM2 would lock off Elms' Reach until you finished the Abbey Of the Fallen moon so you couldn't talk to the gods until you actually talked to a god) and I think it makes the whole game feel better.

I also find it interesting that there isn't a villain, and the big climactic destructive event doesn't destroy the Eyeless, it just pisses them off and makes them ask you what's up, and the real ending setpiece is a long conversation

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Basic Chunnel posted:

It's epic levell poo poo

I hope there is suitable dialogue in PoE II for the PC to express his/her frustration at going from being an epic level dragon killing badass back to struggling to kill rats in the innkeeper's basement. :lol:

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

2house2fly posted:

I also find it interesting that there isn't a villain, and the big climactic destructive event doesn't destroy the Eyeless, it just pisses them off and makes them ask you what's up, and the real ending setpiece is a long conversation

that's not true. ondra's the villain.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Don't you find a three-wide formation cramped though? A lot of dungeons felt like they were designed for a two-column party.

Totally not a problem if you have a barbarian that knows Dragon Leap.

:getin:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Yeah Brig is just bad for some reason, either go full plate for maximum tank or use scale or lower for balance.
Its not that Brigadine is bad, its that plate is better. Brigadine falls on the exact same spectrum every other armor does, iirc, plate is just better. Which I think is cool, since really, plate is just better.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

brigadine looks cool as heck imo so i didn't switch to plate til i got that blue platemail from white march with its matching helm because that also looks cool as heck.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Brigandine has the best blunt defense available and there are some decent uniques. It's not useless at all.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Power Bottom posted:

i like rogues

i really like rogues

I honestly don't understand the Rogue hate that's been thrown around this thread (or was it the previous one?). Being able to delete major enemies either instantly or near-instantly is a loving godsend, especially on PotD. I can only imagine the nonsense I'll be able to get up to in the sequel.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Man I really need to play this again. I mostly (only?) played with Eder, Pallegina, Durance, Aloth & Kana in my first playthrough, so I didn't get to know Hiravias, Sagani and the others a lot.

If I only had more time... :sigh:

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Reload your save from before you jumped into the Well of Souls, you should be able to cover whatever you missed.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Mechanically PoE is a massive improvement over the old IE games. The old games are filled with weird poo poo like AC going into the negatives and hit dice and loving THACO :psyduck: and the worst thing is there's no way ingame to check how everything works. I've played through BG2 multiple times and I have no idea how most of the mechanics work. PoE is imo fairly intuitive (outside of the action speed stuff) and you can usually check the combat log to see what happened if you're confused.

Also I just entered Galvino's for the first time and got destroyed. I was not prepared for the suicide bots and the corrosive aoe spam.

e: I also like the Endurance/Health split.

kikkelivelho fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Feb 22, 2017

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

MY formation is Itumaak up front, Eder just behind, Pallegina and (having only just picked her up) Maneha behind him but offset to the sides, me (dwarf cipher) just behind them and Aloth and Sagani up the back.

For trash mobs I mostly just have Itumaak be the only one who even gets into melee combat, that way I don't dip into anyone's health at all.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Replaying too. Chanters are just kind of boring, and not even that good until dragon trashed. Shame cause I like Kana, but temped to just switch him out for Durance again. I feel they got left behind when priests prayers were reworked to imunities while their songs are still just + defense against charm etc.

Have the devs said anything about engagement changing or being reworked? I like it on paper but in practice its just dnd's opportunity attacks, and more something that enemies use against the player than a usefull tool in your own arsenal, and if you want to lock down something wizards and ciphers are just better.

I think fighters could do with some kind of taunt or pull so they can peel engagement onto them from squishies.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Feb 22, 2017

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
:siren: Goon Fund Update :siren:

I'm closing the Goon Fund! The final tally is $585. I'll go ahead and make a $500 pledge on Fig, and spend $40 on the t-shirt pack. That leaves $45 for shipping of the Signed Edition and the t-shirts to whoever ends up winning those.

Furism fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Feb 22, 2017

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Avalerion posted:

I think fighters could do with some kind of taunt or pull so they can peel engagement onto them from squishies.

Fighters get a talent called Into the Fray that literally, physically pulls enemies. You can select it at level 5, I think?

And yes they're reworking engagement, though they haven't given many specifics.

Furism posted:

:siren: Goon Fund Update :siren:

I'm closing the Goon Fund! The final tally is $585. I'll go ahead and make a $500 pledge on Fig, and spend $40 on the t-shirt pack. That leaves $45 for shipping of the Signed Edition and the t-shirts to whoever ends up winning those.

Aw I was really hoping we'd hit $750. Oh well.

Does the game have pugs? Let's name a pug Durance.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Litany Unheard posted:

In a Q&A they said that disengagement attacks would be far more powerful but engagement would only be limited to fighters, select enemies and certain classes of weapons that grant an additional engagement slots.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

In a Q&A they said that disengagement attacks would be far more powerful but engagement would only be limited to fighters, select enemies and certain classes of weapons that grant an additional engagement slots.

That sounds really cool.

In PoE 1 it seemed like enemy disengagement attacks totally boned your backliners when you misclicked and had them move while engaged, while your enemies could run past your frontline with impunity and your own disengagement attacks would just scratch them a bit. Making them less common (so everyone and their mother isn't getting engagements on your backline), but also way more powerful (so that it actually hurts enemies when you get to be doing the disengagement attacks) seems like it improves both of those.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

And I like how it gives fighters their own thing, too.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Roobanguy posted:

Yep. Just like how in the main game the villain is Woedica more than anyone else.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Jabor posted:

That sounds really cool.

In PoE 1 it seemed like enemy disengagement attacks totally boned your backliners when you misclicked and had them move while engaged, while your enemies could run past your frontline with impunity and your own disengagement attacks would just scratch them a bit. Making them less common (so everyone and their mother isn't getting engagements on your backline), but also way more powerful (so that it actually hurts enemies when you get to be doing the disengagement attacks) seems like it improves both of those.

The game plays by the same rules as you (mostly) especially for trash fights. But mostly your backliners should be able to temporarily handle a melee engaging them (like Wizard's Arcane Veil or Druids' transformations ; not to mention you could switch them to a weapon set with a shield) and give them enough time to cast a counter (a Slicken, a Dominate, a Blind, etc) or one of your melee to come and deal with it (with a Knock Down for instance).

I do like the Engagement changes though because it opens up new party composition and weapon selection options.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

idonotlikepeas posted:

The Eternal Dictum of the Grog: changing anything, ever, for any reason, is bad. It was bad to change it and now it's bad to change it from what you changed it to. 100% consistency.

Hate everything, then hate when anything changes. Hate. Hate!

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Furism posted:

The game plays by the same rules as you (mostly) especially for trash fights. But mostly your backliners should be able to temporarily handle a melee engaging them (like Wizard's Arcane Veil or Druids' transformations ; not to mention you could switch them to a weapon set with a shield) and give them enough time to cast a counter (a Slicken, a Dominate, a Blind, etc) or one of your melee to come and deal with it (with a Knock Down for instance).

I do like the Engagement changes though because it opens up new party composition and weapon selection options.

I get that, my backlines can generally handle themselves in melee just fine while I queue up a skill to push the opponent away or whatever.

Except then I misclick while trying to select someone else, and Aloth runs over next to them, eating a disengagement attack for 80% of his health. That's the bit I find annoying.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Furism posted:

How is engagement going to change in PoE2?

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
If your backline doesn't turn into a hugeass stealgar/bear/moose with razor sharp claws the second someone walks past your tanks, I don't know what to say to you guys.

But, I'm glad that fighters getting something exclusive to them and the mechanic is becoming less jarring. Also, maybe name some talents and/or spells a bit more clearer to reflect what they actually do. Into The Fray is a very good example to that, at first I thought it was some kind of charge skill that makes you dive into the battle but it was a ranged pull instead (reading is :effort:, ok?).

cgfreak
Jan 2, 2013
Wizard question: does Citzal's Spirit Lance count as a weapon when you attack with it? Ie does it benefit from Weapon Focus: soldier? I wanna try a melee Wizard because the thing is just so drat strong.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Raygereio posted:

How is engagement going to change in PoE2?

Its not an automatic thing. Its innately exclusive to Fighters and some enemies though you can still get engagement via items etc. Also disengagement attacks are more powerful.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

cgfreak posted:

Wizard question: does Citzal's Spirit Lance count as a weapon when you attack with it? Ie does it benefit from Weapon Focus: soldier? I wanna try a melee Wizard because the thing is just so drat strong.

IIRC all summoned weapons (Draining Staff, Minor Blights or Spirit Lance) count as universal so they benefit from any Weapon Focus but someone might correct me on that. Melee Wizard is certainly a thing with Blast / Piercing Blast talents counting for Lance too. Pop some potions, Citzal's Spirit Lance + Citzals Martial Power = dead baddies. The Draining Staff is also a murder machine on early levels, so , :getin:

Galewolf fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Feb 22, 2017

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Litany Unheard posted:

Fighters get a talent called Into the Fray that literally, physically pulls enemies. You can select it at level 5, I think?

Aw I was really hoping we'd hit $750. Oh well.

Does the game have pugs? Let's name a pug Durance.
This beast has an aggressive demeanor yet is eager to please its master. It puts you in mind of an old friend...

Roobanguy posted:

I mean there's no Thaos or Kreia to give you a monologue before they attack you. Ondra's not even consciously doing something really bad like Thaos is, you point out that the Eyeless will overrun the Dyrwood and she goes "oh poo poo" because she's really stupid. The end boss of the DLC is a monster who's just hanging around and the real climax Is the talk with the Eyeless. its a cool plot structure I wasn't expecting and gives me hope for the sequel.

Octo1
May 7, 2009

cgfreak posted:

Yes, but all summoned weapons count as universal weapons, which means they benefit from any talents or abilities that give a bonus to a specific weapon type, in other words, if you pick weapon focus: noble, you will also get an accuracy bonus with Spirit Lance.

efb

cgfreak
Jan 2, 2013
Thanks duders. Dualclassing any melee dps class with a Wizard that knows 5th level spells is going to be sick in PoEII :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

I have to confess that I will be the dullest person to have all single classed party members all the way through.

• Locked thread