Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
So pardon the probably stupid question, but: how does this game work in multiplayer? Could I one day buy a cruise ship and somehow have the proceeds from my ticket sales go towards helping the goon group? Is it like eve where you have to have a bunch of people mine asteroids for the good of the group?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Blind Rasputin posted:

As long as you can fit the size 5 passenger holds. That's all you need plus a fsd and fuel scoop. I followed the advice a page or so back and just bought a size 5 of economy, business, and first class cabins and just rotate them out to fit what I need.

The Cobra 3 only has size 4 slots. Maybe I can find something I can afford with some size five slots.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

TehSaurus posted:

Can I do this in a Cobra III? Any suggestions fit wise?

I'm space poor and I want them dollars!

yes you can. you just wont be doing the big payout ones that give 5~10 mil for a 300ly sightseeing missions. first class and business class are what you want to be using and the Cobra can fit the size 4 buisness or first class. Also your missions payout depends on how high your relation with the faction in the local system is. So doing some bounty hunting and courier mission are needed before you start getting the good mission, and the cobra is versatile enough to do that too.

something like this passenger cobra
or this passenger type6

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Feb 20, 2017

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

TehSaurus posted:

The Cobra 3 only has size 4 slots. Maybe I can find something I can afford with some size five slots.

The Type-6 is the cheapest ship with size 5s and it's the next step up from the Cobra :v:

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

So pardon the probably stupid question, but: how does this game work in multiplayer? Could I one day buy a cruise ship and somehow have the proceeds from my ticket sales go towards helping the goon group? Is it like eve where you have to have a bunch of people mine asteroids for the good of the group?

Elite: Dangerous is a single-player game where you can opt into being kicked in the balls for no actual benefit.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

We have an in-game faction that we promote by doing missions and murdering rivals. From time to time our faction declares war on another faction and if we are victorious, we take over control of a local station in the system where the war occurred. Basically, everything contributes to the cause in some way (trading, bounty hunting, smuggling, exploring, missions, murder).

To use your cruise ship example, you could do passenger missions that increase our influence in that system and it would help us take over that system or help us expand our influence to nearby systems.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I neutron starred nearly all the way from Colonia to the bubble and here are some thoughts on neutron star travel. Used this app to plot the route https://www.spansh.co.uk/. I was flying 35 LY ASP E so it could be very different experience in Exploraconda or Cutter due to those two having more internal slots and can thus fit more AFMUs. I, for instance had to make a pit stop at Gagarin's Gate to restock on nuts and bolts.

The app itself does a pretty decent job while you are near the core with high N density but gets increasingly worse the further out you go. In my case it finally crapped itself about 3000 LY from home. Not sure what heppened, maybe the map data isn't exactly right but my ship refused to plot the route to the next N despite the app thinking it should be OK with my range. Incidentally I was at the extreme lower part of the galaxy at this moment and generally all stars were getting sparse, not just Ns. I travelled a bit further up, re-entered the data and than thankfully common sense kicked in. The new route had about 150 jumps, while slowboating 3000 LY as normal should only take about 90 jumps with my range so use your brains and don't just trust the app blindly.

White Dwarfs - not worth it IMO, not only they are harder to use but overcharged range is twice as small.
FSD malfunctions - had 0 of those after I started repairing at about 85 %. But even if you have one its no big deal, just make the jump and than repair.
Fun factor - much more fun than normal travel.

I keep hearing about something that lets you convert fuel into AFMU ammo? If you have this thing whatever it is than sky is the limit. Otherwise if you are in an ASP like me the only way you can realistically go using this method is Colonia because you will NEED to restock.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

dumb and kinda scared posted:

I keep hearing about something that lets you convert fuel into AFMU ammo? If you have this thing whatever it is than sky is the limit. Otherwise if you are in an ASP like me the only way you can realistically go using this method is Colonia because you will NEED to restock.

Eh. I don't know about that. AFMU synthesising materials are abundant unless you absolutely need the souped-up speed-repair versions for some reason. Of course, if you don't have Horizons, then yeah.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

There's no easy trading between players, though you could dump cargo for someone to pick up. There's not a economy like in EVE either, you can mine asteroids but it won't fuel the group.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Tippis posted:

Eh. I don't know about that. AFMU synthesising materials are abundant unless you absolutely need the souped-up speed-repair versions for some reason. Of course, if you don't have Horizons, then yeah.

If you mean landing to gather stuff - yeah, its an option just not a very good one if the goal is getting somewhere very fast. But yes, the option is there to fix yourself up and not be stranded.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

dumb and kinda scared posted:

If you mean landing to gather stuff - yeah, its an option just not a very good one if the goal is getting somewhere very fast. But yes, the option is there to fix yourself up and not be stranded.

True enough, but even then, you can probably stock up on 5–10 refills in a single trip to a good planet before you go. Preparedness pays! :D

On the other hand, where else outside of the bubble would you need to go in a hurry other than Colonia? I guess some tourist mission to Sgr A* or something, but that still entails returning to a station where you can restock soon enough.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

How to effectively use a Vulture:

http://xboxclips.com/MeatBishop/9c6e02b4-2fa5-455e-a45f-0ab7cd082524

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I feel like I don't get how to do combat moneymaking. Feels so slow and minimal.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

If you find a high res site in a metallic ring with heavy reserves and park there, kill the big ships, I make about 3mil every half hour. It's fun. I think larger ships spawn more often in that combination of things. Log on and off if all you are getting is asps and cobras. You'll hit a spawn that is all anacondas and pythons all the time and just do that until your eyes bleed.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
I can't find any data on how incendiary rounds affect multicannon damage. The increased overall DPS is nice. But I'm not sure if the switch from kinetic to thermal damage is worse for killing hulls.

I'm running a Corvette with 5x rapid fire pulses for taking down shields, and 2x huge MCs. One is OC w/ corrosive, and I'm not sure whether to use OC w/ incendiary for the other or leave it as OC w/o any special effect.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

INTJ Mastermind posted:

I can't find any data on how incendiary rounds affect multicannon damage. The increased overall DPS is nice. But I'm not sure if the switch from kinetic to thermal damage is worse for killing hulls.

I'm running a Corvette with 5x rapid fire pulses for taking down shields, and 2x huge MCs. One is OC w/ corrosive, and I'm not sure whether to use OC w/ incendiary for the other or leave it as OC w/o any special effect.

I would assume it's less DPS against the hull since most have higher thermal than kinetic resistance.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
I think I read that incendiary does more component damage.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Asproigerosis posted:

I feel like I don't get how to do combat moneymaking. Feels so slow and minimal.

1. Find a system that's in War/Civil War with the galaxy filter.
2. Go to a station and find whatever side has missions along the lines of "Massacre the lovely Faction Ships"
3. Get a bunch of those by board scumming, which is the tried and true method of :frontear: exploitation for making actual money instead of the pittance the developers intended, which consists of: Check the board in open and solo, wait 10-15 minutes, repeat. Bring a book.
4. Once you've got a bunch, head for the nearest Conflict Zone.
5. Pledge to the side that's not lovely Faction.
6. Every individual kill will count towards every mission you have. Depending on how long you scummed the board for, you'll probably spend an hour in the CZ to deal with the "Kill 36" missions and get 10 million+ from turning them in, not counting the combat bonds.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

3. Get a bunch of those by board scumming, which is the tried and true method of exploitation for making actual money instead of the pittance the developers intended, which consists of: Check the board in open and solo, wait 10-15 minutes, repeat. Bring a book.

My current favorite to read while doing this is the Lies of Locke Lamora series, which is all about a few old world confidence schemers. Sorta like a more violent Oceans Eleven where the cast swears almost as much as Kermit.

It does not speak well of FDevs' mission system, but it could also be worse.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Groggy nard posted:

My current favorite to read while doing this is the Lies of Locke Lamora series, which is all about a few old world confidence schemers. Sorta like a more violent Oceans Eleven where the cast swears almost as much as Kermit.

It does not speak well of FDevs' mission system, but it could also be worse.

Yeah doing the robigo smuggle stacking was a lot worse than the massacre stuff is now, since it by definition is all to the same location so you don't have to be picky about them. Additional incentive to wait around instead of playing the game remains a pet peeve with FDev's design philosophy in general though.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Are you trying to suggest the 5 digit payout mission design is not entirely well thought out?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
So, um... what are these?

They look biological, and they're within the bubble, and there are a LOT of them"

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Ice geysers?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Rectus posted:

Ice geysers?

My brain is not working today, is it? :-)

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Breetai posted:

So, um... what are these?

A boobie

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Update: Elite is surprisingly playable on a Dell XPS 13, an ultraportable laptop with integrated graphics. Getting 30 fps on 1080p with low settings.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Boogalo posted:

A boobie

Frontier trying to capture some of the mass effect audience with space tits confirmed.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Update: Elite is surprisingly playable on a Dell XPS 13, an ultraportable laptop with integrated graphics. Getting 30 fps on 1080p with low settings.

Now try landing at a planetary station.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Silver Alicorn posted:

Now try landing at a planetary station.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUz9xCTOPRw
:ohdear:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I just got a keelback w/ a fighter bay, it sure makes being interdicted a different experience.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
As someone who likes 4X games, is there any reason that Stellar Forge couldn't be used for galaxy map generation?

You wouldn't even need the solar system modelled, just the overall system view you get when everything is surveyed.

Atrayonis
Jul 6, 2008

Godspeed, brave canary
2.3 is probably going to be really good. Star Citizen shills like Devari (who "renewed faith" with the 3.0 demo) are out in full force.

SplitScreenGamer
Feb 16, 2017

Bringing back the fun of local multiplayer gaming!
ED is becoming everything that Star Citizen promised and has yet to deliver.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

SplitScreenGamer posted:

ED is becoming everything that Star Citizen promised and has yet to deliver.

It's going to be the exact same elite dangerous we have now only with a custom avatar glued to the pilot chair and some wanker shooting cops with your turrets for lols as you try to dock.

Atrayonis
Jul 6, 2008

Godspeed, brave canary

DancingShade posted:

It's going to be the exact same elite dangerous we have now only with a custom avatar glued to the pilot chair and some wanker shooting cops with your turrets for lols as you try to dock.

:allears:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

DancingShade posted:

\

Rumor has it beta tomorrow maybe?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

DancingShade posted:

To be fair, that's still like 95% of what Star Citizen promised and failed to deliver. Except being able to walk around your ship.

Actually, come to think of it, you can even walk around your ship in Elite! As long as you have VR. And as long as seeing your own decapitated body sitting in your pilot's chair still fondling the controls doesn't freak you out too much.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf
I bought in for both elite and sc way back when they were first getting started. So far, elite has done way more with their game and they didn't need to bilk nerds for $140M. Meanwhile, cig can't even get the most basic of "flying ships" game to work without the most hilarious of failures. I just refunded my sc money. Even they release a "thing" it won't be worth playing more than elite.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

DancingShade posted:

and some wanker shooting cops with your turrets for lols as you try to dock.

Sounds like you need better friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I never played sc but I've seen enough of it to know this is correct. Elite has seriously delivered. The thing they really hit right is the sound effects, and the sense of urgency when landing in a station or on a planet. Like, gently caress even now I still take planetary landings very carefully after misjudging the gravity on one and lawn darting my asp explorer at some god awful speed. I think the game has continued to get better, and while it can still be pretty drat loving boring, there's a lot more to do now than there used to be.

It's always just a way to satiate the desire to fly space ships anyways.

• Locked thread