Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Hey, my favorite song by Makeup and Vanity Set is finally on youtube, and in two flavors, even!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctNgYkUtgBo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZXELloQ68

This song isn't in Brigador, but it could have been - it's got that same ambiance, and it's so frantic and vicious I could easily see myself fighting spacers to it.

drat that's good.

I have a friend who bought Brigador because of M&VS, and I now totally see why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

StrixNebulosa posted:

Hey, my favorite song by Makeup and Vanity Set is finally on youtube, and in two flavors, even!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctNgYkUtgBo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZXELloQ68

This song isn't in Brigador, but it could have been - it's got that same ambiance, and it's so frantic and vicious I could easily see myself fighting spacers to it.

They've been posting some not-typically-their-style music on soundcloud lately and it's dope as all hell.
https://soundcloud.com/makeupandvanityset/simulation

and since we're all talking about rad music I happen to run a *-wave radio station, no commercials or DJs or anything it's just about 110 hours of rad music played by a computer non-stop 24/7. If you dig Makeup and Vanity Set and Bribgador's vibe, anyway.
http://www.shazbotsyndicate.com/

Moooooooooooon
Nov 24, 2007

TheBlandName posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVX1Rj-msQw

A skeleman, a tuk-tuk, high explosives, and two districts. 24 minutes of terror.

I lust for more double donk death runs. Please post more dual shotgun tuk-tuk war crimes. Other super-light vehicles would also be acceptable.

gauss
Feb 9, 2001

by Reene

KakerMix posted:

They've been posting some not-typically-their-style music on soundcloud lately and it's dope as all hell.
https://soundcloud.com/makeupandvanityset/simulation

and since we're all talking about rad music I happen to run a *-wave radio station, no commercials or DJs or anything it's just about 110 hours of rad music played by a computer non-stop 24/7. If you dig Makeup and Vanity Set and Bribgador's vibe, anyway.
http://www.shazbotsyndicate.com/

yeah i love all the new stuff he's been putting up, i think it's all analog synths.

meanwhile back to plugging away on the levels, come say hi, get your burning lore questions answered, etc.

https://www.twitch.tv/gausswerks

gauss
Feb 9, 2001

by Reene
aaand the stream is back up for anyone who cares to join, and help figure out how we're doing the dreaded explosives introduction to new players.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

gauss posted:

aaand the stream is back up for anyone who cares to join, and help figure out how we're doing the dreaded explosives introduction to new players.

Script a Touro NPC to walk up and stomp a gas pipeline reminiscent of the older tutorial.

Make an unarmed mech have to navigate a maze of "Devil Trucks/Hell tankers" Specifically those, to burn that particular object into their memory.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

I loving love the dev console.

I've made a few rather minimal tweaks to the audio that are immensely satisfying. Changed the Donkey, Bishop, and the Loyalist/Corvid heavy cannon equivalents (but not the shotguns) to use the Harvester fire sound. It makes them feel a lot more powerful, appropriate to the damage they do, and makes enemies wielding them a LOT scarier. It's also useful since the rather dull "plop" the cannons make otherwise is almost inaudible in a heavy firefight. Now you know when someone is bringing serious firepower to bear on your rear end. Didn't touch any other stats, just the sound. Sound alone can make a huge difference!

Also, I upgunned a few variants and they are so, so much more fun to fight (and more pants-making GBS threads), and made a few other balance changes that really enhanced the game for me:
  • Way more enemies. I showed some screenshots of the terror I've experienced, and it's a lot like that in most maps now. I love it.
  • Ammo drops are FAR less frequent now. Everything that was 0.33 is now 0.05 (so 5%), and everything that was 100% is now 50%. Forces you to be a lot more resourceful with your weapons, especially when you carry something that doesn't have a huge ammo capacity. And ESPECIALLY against a higher enemy loadout.
  • Enemy Huss now carries a Bishop and 88 instead of dual Balaos. This thing is a bastard and so much more dangerous, which is how a heavy vehicle should be IMO.
  • Leviathan carries dual Bishops, which is loving TERRIFYING. I'm also tempted to give Lowmills and Ropers dual bishops too, and take away the Lowmill's spotter capability to compensate. Ropers already go down easily, so having large amounts of alpha-strike power is OK.
  • Cranked up the hull armor for the Leviathan (1000) and dramatically increased its shield (800), making it into a real terror to see. Also cranked up shielding for the Fafnir and Brunhilde, plus a bit extra for the AI Treehouse. Haven't touched any player vehicles, and don't plan to.
  • Buskers carry a Galinha instead of the weak aux laser they had before.
  • Boosted range for lightning guns significantly, plus a bit of extra damage, and made the Corvid one have unlimited ammo like the Loyalist equivalent (did you know many enemies even HAD a lightning gun? Probably not since its range was so low and its damage so paltry, those things usually got plastered before getting into range).
  • Gave Varlets dual lightning guns so they can do more than just spot you. They're still pretty weak, but you can't totally ignore them -- lightning guns wreck shields pretty quickly, especially now that they have longer range to boot.
  • Gave all shotguns much higher projectile velocity, more in line with the 88 (100.0 instead of 60.0). This makes the Preacher and Crambo feel so much better (though I still had to buff the Crambo damage a tiny bit, up to 1.75 per bullet, to make it actually useful... especially against a larger enemy loadout).

As I increased enemy loads across the board for all spawnlists, I also reduced the number of spotters for Corvids and the number of suicide drones for Spacers (replacing each with other units). I also put pretty much every variant of light mech and treadbike back into play at max difficulty since they can be surprisingly effective at increasing the challenge even though they themselves are weak.

If you are trying to sneak up and snipe a Julius or Rat King in the back, a single Coffin scout could gently caress you over if it wanders by, spots you, and starts making noise by opening fire. Broomcorn treadbikes are surprisingly dangerous for how weak they are otherwise. Their speed and erratic nature makes it easy to burn too much ammo trying to hit them, so they force you to be careful and think strategically. I added lots of 2-man teams of those to replace some of the Varlet scouts (there were so many scouts in the spawnlist that about half of them didn't even get the spotter ability they needed to be useful).

Another fun thing: I disabled the captains' map icons, so you never know exactly where they are. This makes scouting out a map really tense, especially if you see on the HUD there are like 30 of the fuckers (!) lurking somewhere. I added a lot of them to the Normal spawn list so they'll patrol, too, instead of just sitting around (in Passive mode). Not sure what the difference between Defensive and Passive is yet.

I've only made the spawnlist tweaks for max diff, so all others are still unaffected. But if anyone is like me and feels like they've maxed out the stock difficulty, let me know if you want to try Batshit Mode and I can upload my .pack file. Or if anyone is interested in trying it out themselves, I'd be happy to walk through the process. It's a lot simpler than you might think after first seeing the console.

Also, to the devs: maybe for a future patch, could you guys split the assets.pack file into multiple files so the art assets are separated into their own file and the config settings in another? That way we can upload smaller filesize mod packs to share when we've just made small tweaks to the game. Maybe not doable, but would be appreciated!

Having messed with the dev console, I can see Brigador is a LOT more moddable than I realized at first. It's just kind of a pain to do it on a large scale, especially if you gently caress something up and crash the game. I've run into some issues where I gave weapons to units that didn't have the right slots for them, and then I couldn't even open those units again in the console without the game seizing up entirely. I had to verify the game files in Steam to get back to stock, losing all my changes. I quickly learned to make regular backups of my file after making stable changes!

I also tried making enemy units have the same hull and shield values as the player equivalents, turning them into equals. This was NOT a good idea when also jacking up the numbers of enemies, but it might work on lower difficulties (and make those difficulties harder, too). Might try this again later, as it could be a good way to start using other pilots again. I've even been considering making enemy vehicles use player weapons, so you're truly on a level playing field. This would make the game extremely hard in some cases, but really exciting if you like that tense, massively-outgunned sort of skill game.

I had a spectacular escape last night in the canon Buckmaster (Zeus, Bonesaw, and Camo). I was down to 6 hull points and whatever shield I could scrounge up from Corvid scouts and patrols in Souto Spaceport. I spawned on the north side, and had to methodically make my way down by luring enemies out, isolating them, and (usually literally) smashing them one-by-one. I ran completely out of Zeus rounds several times, but usually managed to find ammo juuuust often enough to scrape by. I never secured the Zeus ammo depot; it was either in the southern or eastern end of the map, and those areas were totally overrun with Corvids. For the first time in basically ever, I had to bail for the ship as soon as I cleared the Garrison threshold, which I did mainly by Zeusing large units, fleeing the scene, and then shooting up little scouts that came to investigate before their heavier buddies showed up. It was amazing.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Buff Skeleton posted:

yeah p sure you're completely insane but i'm glad you're enjoying the new hell you have created for yourself

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Sanity is for the weak! :unsmigghh:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Buff Skeleton posted:

Sanity is for the weak! :unsmigghh:

That's impressive and terrifying and I want you to double donk varlet run your own hell.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

yeah p sure you're completely insane but i'm glad you're enjoying the new hell you have created for yourself

100% this I can barely survive difficulty 7 on a regular basis

anthony patch
Mar 20, 2008

nope

Buff Skeleton posted:

I've made a few rather minimal tweaks to the audio that are immensely satisfying. Changed the Donkey, Bishop, and the Loyalist/Corvid heavy cannon equivalents (but not the shotguns) to use the Harvester fire sound. It makes them feel a lot more powerful, appropriate to the damage they do, and makes enemies wielding them a LOT scarier. It's also useful since the rather dull "plop" the cannons make otherwise is almost inaudible in a heavy firefight. Now you know when someone is bringing serious firepower to bear on your rear end. Didn't touch any other stats, just the sound. Sound alone can make a huge difference!

Also, I upgunned a few variants and they are so, so much more fun to fight (and more pants-making GBS threads), and made a few other balance changes that really enhanced the game for me:
  • Way more enemies. I showed some screenshots of the terror I've experienced, and it's a lot like that in most maps now. I love it.
  • Ammo drops are FAR less frequent now. Everything that was 0.33 is now 0.05 (so 5%), and everything that was 100% is now 50%. Forces you to be a lot more resourceful with your weapons, especially when you carry something that doesn't have a huge ammo capacity. And ESPECIALLY against a higher enemy loadout.
  • Enemy Huss now carries a Bishop and 88 instead of dual Balaos. This thing is a bastard and so much more dangerous, which is how a heavy vehicle should be IMO.
  • Leviathan carries dual Bishops, which is loving TERRIFYING. I'm also tempted to give Lowmills and Ropers dual bishops too, and take away the Lowmill's spotter capability to compensate. Ropers already go down easily, so having large amounts of alpha-strike power is OK.
  • Cranked up the hull armor for the Leviathan (1000) and dramatically increased its shield (800), making it into a real terror to see. Also cranked up shielding for the Fafnir and Brunhilde, plus a bit extra for the AI Treehouse. Haven't touched any player vehicles, and don't plan to.
  • Buskers carry a Galinha instead of the weak aux laser they had before.
  • Boosted range for lightning guns significantly, plus a bit of extra damage, and made the Corvid one have unlimited ammo like the Loyalist equivalent (did you know many enemies even HAD a lightning gun? Probably not since its range was so low and its damage so paltry, those things usually got plastered before getting into range).
  • Gave Varlets dual lightning guns so they can do more than just spot you. They're still pretty weak, but you can't totally ignore them -- lightning guns wreck shields pretty quickly, especially now that they have longer range to boot.
  • Gave all shotguns much higher projectile velocity, more in line with the 88 (100.0 instead of 60.0). This makes the Preacher and Crambo feel so much better (though I still had to buff the Crambo damage a tiny bit, up to 1.75 per bullet, to make it actually useful... especially against a larger enemy loadout).

As I increased enemy loads across the board for all spawnlists, I also reduced the number of spotters for Corvids and the number of suicide drones for Spacers (replacing each with other units). I also put pretty much every variant of light mech and treadbike back into play at max difficulty since they can be surprisingly effective at increasing the challenge even though they themselves are weak.

If you are trying to sneak up and snipe a Julius or Rat King in the back, a single Coffin scout could gently caress you over if it wanders by, spots you, and starts making noise by opening fire. Broomcorn treadbikes are surprisingly dangerous for how weak they are otherwise. Their speed and erratic nature makes it easy to burn too much ammo trying to hit them, so they force you to be careful and think strategically. I added lots of 2-man teams of those to replace some of the Varlet scouts (there were so many scouts in the spawnlist that about half of them didn't even get the spotter ability they needed to be useful).

Another fun thing: I disabled the captains' map icons, so you never know exactly where they are. This makes scouting out a map really tense, especially if you see on the HUD there are like 30 of the fuckers (!) lurking somewhere. I added a lot of them to the Normal spawn list so they'll patrol, too, instead of just sitting around (in Passive mode). Not sure what the difference between Defensive and Passive is yet.

I've only made the spawnlist tweaks for max diff, so all others are still unaffected. But if anyone is like me and feels like they've maxed out the stock difficulty, let me know if you want to try Batshit Mode and I can upload my .pack file. Or if anyone is interested in trying it out themselves, I'd be happy to walk through the process. It's a lot simpler than you might think after first seeing the console.

Also, to the devs: maybe for a future patch, could you guys split the assets.pack file into multiple files so the art assets are separated into their own file and the config settings in another? That way we can upload smaller filesize mod packs to share when we've just made small tweaks to the game. Maybe not doable, but would be appreciated!

Having messed with the dev console, I can see Brigador is a LOT more moddable than I realized at first. It's just kind of a pain to do it on a large scale, especially if you gently caress something up and crash the game. I've run into some issues where I gave weapons to units that didn't have the right slots for them, and then I couldn't even open those units again in the console without the game seizing up entirely. I had to verify the game files in Steam to get back to stock, losing all my changes. I quickly learned to make regular backups of my file after making stable changes!

I also tried making enemy units have the same hull and shield values as the player equivalents, turning them into equals. This was NOT a good idea when also jacking up the numbers of enemies, but it might work on lower difficulties (and make those difficulties harder, too). Might try this again later, as it could be a good way to start using other pilots again. I've even been considering making enemy vehicles use player weapons, so you're truly on a level playing field. This would make the game extremely hard in some cases, but really exciting if you like that tense, massively-outgunned sort of skill game.

I had a spectacular escape last night in the canon Buckmaster (Zeus, Bonesaw, and Camo). I was down to 6 hull points and whatever shield I could scrounge up from Corvid scouts and patrols in Souto Spaceport. I spawned on the north side, and had to methodically make my way down by luring enemies out, isolating them, and (usually literally) smashing them one-by-one. I ran completely out of Zeus rounds several times, but usually managed to find ammo juuuust often enough to scrape by. I never secured the Zeus ammo depot; it was either in the southern or eastern end of the map, and those areas were totally overrun with Corvids. For the first time in basically ever, I had to bail for the ship as soon as I cleared the Garrison threshold, which I did mainly by Zeusing large units, fleeing the scene, and then shooting up little scouts that came to investigate before their heavier buddies showed up. It was amazing.

:captainpop:

Can't tell you how much I loved reading this. Long story short is that we're going to try to get pack files in a friendly state for modding, either via being able to load outside data or through getting the players able to unpack and repack again at will like you used to be able to. The problem is that the original coders are gone and now contractually obligated to not work on outside projects so there's a lot of shuffling around on our end.

My goal is data + maps. Might be really labor intensive but it'd be better than nothing, and if we are able to get that stuff out into the wild we'll take the time to tutorialize it as best we can. No promises, but that's my goal.

In the mean time, there's a big update in the pipe so backup all your custom data, as I don't know how an update will actually affect things on your end. That way if it doesn't play nice at least you'll have a version with everything still playable.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

StrixNebulosa posted:

That's impressive and terrifying and I want you to double donk varlet run your own hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PX3zUYfG-xU

I definitely got cocky. Almost all of my fuckups have been from getting too sure of myself. But this was a ton of fun and I'm going to try it again later!

Excellent! And no worries, I figure I'd need to redo any changes after a patch as it is, which is typical with mods for a game still seeing updates. I'm eager to see how the new stock changes play out, too! Thanks for the continued support :)

Buff Skeleton fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Feb 21, 2017

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Perfect music for a Sunday ride on the Vespa, while exploding everything in your way :dance:

Diogenes of Sinope
Jul 10, 2008
Special thanks to whoever it was that recommended the Metronome in the aux slot. It's the only mortar I can use halfway effectively (minus the Gutterball, which ends up a direct-fire weapon in my unskilled hands). It's great for saturating an area with fire, and when I manage it correctly it's possible to alert a pack and lead them ever-so-gently into exploding death from above! :getin:

I find tanks are my preferred mortar platform, usually pairing the Metronome with a Crambo in the turret slot. It's...workable. Curious to hear other opinions on how to maximize a mortar setup.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Diogenes of Sinope posted:

Special thanks to whoever it was that recommended the Metronome in the aux slot. It's the only mortar I can use halfway effectively (minus the Gutterball, which ends up a direct-fire weapon in my unskilled hands). It's great for saturating an area with fire, and when I manage it correctly it's possible to alert a pack and lead them ever-so-gently into exploding death from above! :getin:

I find tanks are my preferred mortar platform, usually pairing the Metronome with a Crambo in the turret slot. It's...workable. Curious to hear other opinions on how to maximize a mortar setup.

You've managed to use a Crambo effectively?

Diogenes of Sinope
Jul 10, 2008

Captain Foo posted:

You've managed to use a Crambo effectively?

Not in a long run, I'm not good enough to make strong loadouts work in high difficulties. But around difficulty 10 I was managing against Spacer blobs, relying on the Metronome to do the heavy lifting and Crambo/bullrush/AK Pulse to mop up. It's manageable if I don't lose my cool, but it's nothing like the beautiful insanity of those double-donk Vartlet runs.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

I'm glad that at the very least while I'm a mediocre pilot, I seem to have just enough insight to give good advice to the better players :unsmith:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Not in a long run, I'm not good enough to make strong loadouts work in high difficulties. But around difficulty 10 I was managing against Spacer blobs, relying on the Metronome to do the heavy lifting and Crambo/bullrush/AK Pulse to mop up. It's manageable if I don't lose my cool, but it's nothing like the beautiful insanity of those double-donk Vartlet runs.

Hm. I've never really been able to use the bullrush as an effective offensive weapon.

gauss
Feb 9, 2001

by Reene
more levels, lets do this

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Captain Foo posted:

Hm. I've never really been able to use the bullrush as an effective offensive weapon.

Well you need some actual proper melee stats for it to matter. The Varlet can't even run over those rows and rows of trash can looking containers. While more commonly acceptable "Look how badass I am driving this tiny thing" tanks like the Troubadour still don't have much to write home about for crushing power. Meanwhile, the spacer Busker may seem like just variant of the tiny Betushka, but it still has a 5 star melee stat.

Directional damage still matters a ton. If you sneak up on someone from behind, you can punch through the anus of a shields down Monarch mech that it would normally come to an awkward stop against from the front. Hitbox size also helps a lot in actually nailing things. A Betushka has the same 3 star melee as a Prowler, but the Betty is also the size of a postage stamp so that means more chances to just barely miss, and less chances to run over multiple targets in one pass.

There is also the whole "current movement = more smashey power" situation, which can cause some quirks like how the downshift doesn't do anything if you are already ramming a wall/enemy. But also makes the Prowler feel like it's better at flattening common enemies on the go than bigger tanks with bigger melee stats.

If I sneak up on common enemies with a canmore or lowmill from behind, I'll crush some of them then be back to puttering along. If I sneak up with a cloaked prowler, I'll kill a commander from behind and flatten several basic units past it/on the way to it as I almost immediately reach top speed again.

Smaller hover units (or ones that feel like they have a higher distance from the surface) are an absolute bitch to run over though, no matter what kind of tank you are driving.

A tiny betty can "run over" a huss with little issue, but a lumbering lowmill or even dragon wagon will have a bitch of a time trying to crush Rooks as they sort of slide off you when you crash into them.

As is a bit obvious, I've got a huge boner for the current thread title. Mmmm, Cloaked tank crushings :allears: Gonna crush a commander, his infantry, and leave some confused forks behind as I plow through a wall out of LoS right before my cloak runs out.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Feb 21, 2017

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

You can also completely wreck even a Leviathan if you catch one unshielded from behind and full-speed batter its rear armor. You might need to reverse and do it a second time, but it'll be dead before it can call the alarm. Hilarious, especially when you make it happen with a Busker.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Buff Skeleton posted:

I definitely got cocky. Almost all of my fuckups have been from getting too sure of myself. But this was a ton of fun and I'm going to try it again later!

:allears: It's everything I ever dreamed it would be, from the music to the ending to the way you handled...well, everything. I am in awe of your skill, dude.

gauss
Feb 9, 2001

by Reene

Buff Skeleton posted:

Excellent! And no worries, I figure I'd need to redo any changes after a patch as it is, which is typical with mods for a game still seeing updates. I'm eager to see how the new stock changes play out, too! Thanks for the continued support :)

this video is killing me, nice work

meanwhile, tune in if you want to see me work on the last of the intro campaign levels (basically a campaign is going to get inserted ahead of the current campaign, to ease people into the swing of things better). come say hi, lore boar wants some more

gauss
Feb 9, 2001

by Reene
i need to build three more levels tonight and i am already really tired so any support is appreciated

also come argue about procgen vs authored levels for our next game, i'm already fighting myself

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

gauss posted:

also come argue about procgen vs authored levels for our next game, i'm already fighting myself

I'll do it here: please dear god in heaven stick with authored levels.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Guys

GUYS

Make the Scimitar into a low-arc artillery weapon (and boost the speed of the projectiles a bit) AND IT IS AWESOME

Behold: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyxIm84o4FI

And for something crazy again, I did a Double Donk Hoker run tonight. It went about as well as you'd expect! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKabwuSZOlc

Oh, and I also roided out the footsoldiers, so they move and shoot faster, and also will start firing pretty much immediately. They're also cloaked at spawn, representing their ability to garrison buildings. I guess. They need every edge they can get! The artillery ones also shoot with a low arc and can actually hit you now. Good stuff

Buff Skeleton fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Feb 23, 2017

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014

Mordja posted:

I'll do it here: please dear god in heaven stick with authored levels.

yeah this, I have yet to see a proc genned level that wasn't rear end in ANY game.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Thefluffy posted:

yeah this, I have yet to see a proc genned level that wasn't rear end in ANY game.

Spelunky? Most roguelikes?

I don't want Brigador's devs to go the procgen route, but it CAN be done well!

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

StrixNebulosa posted:

Definitely, true for the games that Do It Right, it's also not part of the big appeal of Brigador as it stands.

There is also a big distinction between mediocre failings as a mid tier pilot, but having authored levels as a solid foundation to compare yourself and your progress to.

Vs. "Well I guess I'm going to be too casual for this procgen roguelike forever then" with one too many rolls of the dice landing on gently caress You, all while being told 'no it's still consistent because it's in the procedural tables!'"

Some kind of extra mode with procgen would be quite interesting, but it just wouldn't be Brigador™ if it was primarily based around procgen.

(Note to self, get back into FTL to check out all those expansion pack toys, and be told that stopping by every single shop on my route not turning up any missiles or bombs for sale = "You just didn't look hard enough for missiles and bombs").

Section Z fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Feb 23, 2017

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Buff Skeleton posted:

Guys

GUYS

Make the Scimitar into a low-arc artillery weapon (and boost the speed of the projectiles a bit) AND IT IS AWESOME

Behold: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyxIm84o4FI

This is honestly kind of how I wish the Scimitar actually worked so good job.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Kai Tave posted:

This is honestly kind of how I wish the Scimitar actually worked so good job.

It's a really simple edit if you want to try it: just open the console with F1, go to the Pack File tab, type "plr_arty_tur" into the filter, then find the weapon and the bullet class. You'll only have four, and it's the 01 version for each result. Select them both and go to the Data Editor tab.

In the weapon, scroll down and check "low-arc" at the bottom and that's it. For the bullet, change its speed up to 30, and then you're good. Click "Write back dirty resources" if you want to make the change permanent, and boom.

I could never get the Scimitar to actually perform before I tried this. No need to adjust ammo capacity, ROF, damage, etc. Just that one tweak made all the difference. Though now I kinda wonder how hosed up a low-arc Harvester would be. Guess I'll have to try that!

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
My guess is you're probably gonna drive into a lot of your own war crimes.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

StrixNebulosa posted:

Yeah, I don't really like most roguelikes. :shrug:

And while I know Spelunky was a hit and have never played it, from what I understand it's the situations the game's randomization puts the player in that everyone likes, not the levels itself. Looking at screenshots and videos, they're pretty simplistic, blocky areas.

E: I should mention that I'm not entirely against procgen, but largely in cases where the terrain doesn't matter as much. EV Nova, for example, randomly generates a galaxy but it's all space so who cares; Diablo 2's levels don't matter since I'm just clicking on monsters for loot--though even then, games like Grim Dawn and Titan Quest are more visually stimulating to me.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Feb 23, 2017

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Authored levels are pretty much always better, but procgen can be done pretty well if it's procedurally assembled pre-made rooms (the top example that comes to mind right now is Enter the Gungeon)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

that low-arc scimitar is really cool, nice work!

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Buff Skeleton posted:

I could never get the Scimitar to actually perform before I tried this. No need to adjust ammo capacity, ROF, damage, etc. Just that one tweak made all the difference. Though now I kinda wonder how hosed up a low-arc Harvester would be. Guess I'll have to try that!

I've had some success with it, using cloak and shoot-and-scoot to build up large, stationary clumps of confused enemies. That said, anything you can do with a Scimitar works better with a proper mortar... the individual projectiles just aren't damaging enough. It would also help if the ROF was a touch higher, to make it more feasible to fire on the move.

The modded Scimitar seems to occupy more of a Mk 19 niche. I'd love to see something of that type in the game -- rapid fire, small explosive radius, capability for both direct and indirect fire.

Also, the IRL Canmore? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GCT_155mm

hepatizon fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Feb 23, 2017

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
nah procgen levels even made out of prefab chunks still ends up being terrible 90% of the time in tactical games

see: both OpenXCOM and XCOM 2

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

SpaceClown posted:

nah procgen levels even made out of prefab chunks still ends up being terrible 90% of the time in tactical games

see: both OpenXCOM and XCOM 2

XCOM2 is really good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

oh wait it's spaceclown lmao who cares