Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Could run a cup race the week before the 24 or something? That would work for a Daytona Roval race maybe.

I'd rather see an IMSA/WEC double weekend on the IMS RC. If they're going to "Fix" that weekend? it's far better they have Trucks, XFS race at IRP with Silver Crown, Sprints on Thursday, Friday, Saturday Nights. Bring back IROC too. Lord knows that needs to come back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEMAG
Aug 14, 2003

You're it.
Did anyone see the CBS News report on the decline of NASCAR? Their 2 main reasons was Lack of good ole boy drivers. Today's drivers are too corporate, to which they interviewed Gray Gaulding and not SRA... :negative: The other reason is safety??? The element of death is gone so NASCAR isn't interesting anymore. :ughh:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 5 days!)

So that explains why Indycar has through the helmet ratings.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Peanut President posted:

Good lord.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Supposed to rain all day here today, we might not get a race in.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Peanut President posted:

Yeah just send that to CBS. Also man lot of poo poo getting dug up on NASCAR recently.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
Legacy media in a circle jerk over why elements of it are failing without realizing that it's one thing, really.

The goddamned internet exists.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Peanut President posted:

:drat:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

NASCAR's going to go full IndyCar and put way too drat many road courses on the schedule. Naturally, they're going to even screw up the addition of road courses by the fact they're rovals and not free-standing facilities.

(No, Indy, street circuits are road courses. It's not different.)

As someone who's gone every year since 2003, I can't tell if I'd like the Coke Zero 400 to be on the road course at DIS or not. I heavily lean toward no because I love plate racing and because the caution laps in the one IROC race I saw on the road course (2006) were way too long (just run the drat oval under caution). Maybe run an exhibition race on the infield on Thursday if they want to try it this year?

FuzzySkinner posted:

If they're going to "Fix" that weekend? it's far better they have Trucks, XFS race at IRP with Silver Crown, Sprints on Thursday, Friday, Saturday Nights. Bring back IROC too. Lord knows that needs to come back.

Yeah, any incentive for me to go back to IMS for NASCAR would be aided by a return to IRP.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

NASCAR's going to go full IndyCar and put way too drat many road courses on the schedule. Naturally, they're going to even screw up the addition of road courses by the fact they're rovals and not free-standing facilities.

Well, the difference here is that IndyCar road courses are frequently very boring, while NASCAR road courses are usually some of the silliest and most entertaining racing you'll see all year.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I would love more road courses if they would drop the second dates at places like Pocono and KS and go to real road courses like Road America, Laguna, Sebring or Road Atlanta. I think all the rovals are boring.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

wicka posted:

Well, the difference here is that IndyCar road courses are frequently very boring, while NASCAR road courses are usually some of the silliest and most entertaining racing you'll see all year.

It's the combination of boredom and 2/3rds of the IndyCar schedule being on road courses. They need more ovals.

As you said, The Glen/Sonoma/Mid-Ohio/Road America/Mosport are all appointment viewing with NASCAR because a) it's different, b) the races are often really fun, and c) it's still somewhat novel. The infield course at Daytona is fine, but I remember seeing IMSA races at Homestead, Kansas, and California and hating all three. My concern is the races losing their novelty if you overdo it, especially if you add crappy rovals because ISC wants their profits versus Montreal, Laguna Seca, Road Atlanta (which ISC owns), etc..

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

It's the combination of boredom and 2/3rds of the IndyCar schedule being on road courses. They need more ovals.

As you said, The Glen/Sonoma/Mid-Ohio/Road America/Mosport are all appointment viewing with NASCAR because a) it's different, b) the races are often really fun, and c) it's still somewhat novel. The infield course at Daytona is fine, but I remember seeing IMSA races at Homestead, Kansas, and California and hating all three. My concern is the races losing their novelty if you overdo it, especially if you add crappy rovals because ISC wants their profits versus Montreal, Laguna Seca, Road Atlanta (which ISC owns), etc..

Yes, all of this is true. IMO IndyCar needs to be closer to a 50/50 split, but they only have a 17-race schedule (one of which is the second leg of a doubleheader), so they wouldn't even necessarily need to remove road courses to make it happen. But NASCAR only has two road courses in Cup, right? Out of 36 races? It shouldn't be a stretch to add one or two more.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

CBJSprague24 posted:

I can't tell if I'd like the Coke Zero 400 to be on the road course at DIS or not. I heavily lean toward no

Not least because 400 miles of the road course in a Cup car would take forever

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

DEMAG posted:

Did anyone see the CBS News report on the decline of NASCAR? Their 2 main reasons was Lack of good ole boy drivers. Today's drivers are too corporate, to which they interviewed Gray Gaulding and not SRA... :negative: The other reason is safety??? The element of death is gone so NASCAR isn't interesting anymore. :ughh:

NASCAR is doing bad because its bad.

The races are too long, the gimmicks are too strong, and they sold out any sense of identity in the series to try to attract midwesterners who are unarguably the worst people in america. When you give those dumbshits too much say-so you end up with president trump and dividing races into segments.

Mainstream NASCAR interest was as much a fad of the late 90s as Jncos. That shits not coming back, especially with NASCARs current badness.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 23, 2017

DEMAG
Aug 14, 2003

You're it.

Cygni posted:

The races are too long, the gimmicks are too strong, and they sold out any sense of identity in the series to try to attract midwesterners who are unarguably the worst people in america. When you give those dumbshits too much say-so you end up with president trump and dividing races into segments.

Mainstream NASCAR interest was as much a fad of the late 90s as Jncos. That shits not coming back, especially with NASCARs current badness.

I'm interested to see if Monster can at least put NASCAR on an oxygen mask. Getting them on board IMO has been the best decision they've made in a long time. Which makes me think it was less of a Kennedy/France decision and more other board members. The WalMart Cup sounds more like a BZF choice IMO.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

What's Monster going to do to increase NASCAR's popularity? Make everyone wear flat brim hats?

DEMAG
Aug 14, 2003

You're it.

wicka posted:

What's Monster going to do to increase NASCAR's popularity? Make everyone wear flat brim hats?

Be more marketable to the youth. Boobies and energy drinks carry more clout than phone plans and cell coverage.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

CBJSprague24 posted:

Indycar has been road racing focused for 30 years. It's boom period coincided with more road racing. There was once an all-oval Indycar series; it was the biggest piece of poo poo imaginable.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

DEMAG posted:

Be more marketable to the youth. Boobies and energy drinks carry more clout than phone plans and cell coverage.

You don't market to youth per se, you just create a product that is entertaining and not contrived as hell, then distribute it in a way that young people can actually pay for. Monster won't have anything to do with NASCAR's idiotic rule changes, idiotic playoff system, or the fact that they continue to double down on broadcast networks and cable networks. Olds have all these terrible ideas about what millenials want, when in fact millenials just want things that are sincere, and right now NASCAR could not be further from that.

It also doesn't help that several of NASCAR's most prominent figures went out and campaigned for our idiot president.

Human Grand Prix posted:

That's a little harsh...

Not really, tbh.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cygni posted:

midwesterners who are unarguably the worst people in america.

That's a little harsh...

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

wicka posted:

More silicon boobies.

Is there any sport where people are expecting the sponsor to bring in fans? I thought the sport was supposed to attract the fans and the sponsor markets to them.

Anyways, I understand why people cite the increased safety as a reason the sport has declined in popularity. In the old days (before you kids were born) stuntmen like Evil Knievel would have prime time live specials on Network TV where they would do crazy stunts and get amazing ratings. Back then, our culture considered these guys to be heroes. Today, we don't really see much of that anymore. Some Redbull driver will do something stupid, but it's not something that 10 million people will watch on ABC.

Today, the culture is different, and safety is prized over everything else. However, no one watches Safety TV specials on ABC, it's just something that's there.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
oops double post

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
This is why I suggest adding a second fence to the plate races. Let the crazy fuckers defy death if they want to, but fans shouldn't share in the danger.

As it is now, fans are at more risk than the drivers.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Human Grand Prix posted:

That's a little harsh...

It's extremely true. Only people from Boston are worse.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Alain Post posted:

It's extremely true. Only people from Boston are worse.

True. For the record, I'm outside of 495 and therefor in normal Massachusetts.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

It took me way too long to figure out what MENCS meant on the jayski cup schedule for the week.

Also take a drink every time they say sprint cup this week.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

What time are the duels?

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

Cygni posted:

https://twitter.com/jncoapparel/status/834518187760836619

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

gret posted:

What time are the duels?

Supposed to be at 7 eastern but the weather down here is not great.

e: my bad, "coverage" starts at 5, racing should be at 7

big nipples big life fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Feb 23, 2017

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

As someone who's gone every year since 2003, I can't tell if I'd like the Coke Zero 400 to be on the road course at DIS or not. I heavily lean toward no because I love plate racing and because the caution laps in the one IROC race I saw on the road course (2006) were way too long (just run the drat oval under caution). Maybe run an exhibition race on the infield on Thursday if they want to try it this year?

Yeah, any incentive for me to go back to IMS for NASCAR would be aided by a return to IRP.

If someone pitched that weekend to me? I'd find a way to get my rear end to IMS/Indy for a 2nd weekend or so. Because I'd be guaranteed to see some short track fun and a Cup race to cap it all off. (not a GOOD Cup race mind you, but a Cup race none-the-less)

But I have no motivation to go to that track for two subpar races and no real extra fun incentives during the weekend.

The date is also just generally dreadful. End of July during the day is generally miserable in the midwest if you're not by a pool.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Cygni posted:

I don't think it's midwesterners per say...I think it's idiots in the 'burbs all over the country who they continue to try to lust over because at one time they HAD that Demographic in their pocket. 2001-2008? They had them, and they figured their "Blue collar", Northeast (seriously every other fan I meet online who's a Cup fan is from Jersey or New York) and Southern fans were expendable.

If they had "cared" about getting Midwestern RACE FANS they'd have focus really heavily on St. Louis (Gateway), Indianapolis/Indiana, Iowa (Knoxville) and Wisconsin (Milwaukee...ASA, short track scene, etc). Rather they went full :downs: and tried to hit up places like Chicago, Cincinnati (which is Kentucky) and Kansas City.

I mean Chicago hosts the first race of "the Chase". What the gently caress is that?

It's just how far they have their heads up their own asses. They thought major metro markets would be in love with them, and that's not the case.

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

Meanwhile, the PNW still gets no love. :mad:

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
I still have some JNCO's

You weren't cool unless you had a girlfriend who could sew you some contrasting colored inserts to really flair that leg out, I could've went barefoot and no one would have known.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

daslog posted:

More silicon boobies.

Is there any sport where people are expecting the sponsor to bring in fans? I thought the sport was supposed to attract the fans and the sponsor markets to them.

Anyways, I understand why people cite the increased safety as a reason the sport has declined in popularity. In the old days (before you kids were born) stuntmen like Evil Knievel would have prime time live specials on Network TV where they would do crazy stunts and get amazing ratings. Back then, our culture considered these guys to be heroes. Today, we don't really see much of that anymore. Some Redbull driver will do something stupid, but it's not something that 10 million people will watch on ABC.

Today, the culture is different, and safety is prized over everything else. However, no one watches Safety TV specials on ABC, it's just something that's there.

It has nothing to do with danger. Last year a man jumped out of an airplane without a parachute and landed on a giant net. We don't see this on TV because no one will sit down and watch two hours of ad-riddled preshow just to get to the stunt. They'll just watch the 30 second clip on YouTube. Primetime TV was a thing because it was the only thing. Now it has to compete with everything all the time, and a lot of companies haven't yet learned to live in that world.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

nascar is losing fans because the on-track product is loving terrible and their championship format is loving terrible and confusing since they change it every drat year. 'lack of danger' has gently caress-all to do with it. chasing the midwest or west coast also has nothing to do with it directly although the tracks in those areas are really poo poo by and large and cost us dates on better eastern tracks.

road tracks won't help because sonoma and the glen are consistently the least-watched races all year.

the fix is to chop the schedule down to 30 races, dump some of the really really bad tracks, make the racing package not be complete rear end by removing a bunch of aero, and stick to one single points system that is easy to follow. i expect nascar to do exactly zero of these things.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Focusing on the product is a gross oversimplification. Countless dire sports had huge followings in the pre-internet era, and countless super entertaining sports are on life support today because they lack viewership. People don't flock to whatever's good. CBS exists for a reason.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Well it is a combo of internet, 500 channels, and on demand content. No one want to watch a race that is 4 hours long but only the last 5 minutes matter.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Elephanthead posted:

Well it is a combo of internet, 500 channels, and on demand content. No one want to watch a race that is 4 hours long but only the last 5 minutes matter.

Right, and summer, I'm not giving up 25% of my weekend when it's nice out to sit on my rear end and watch cars turn left.. I rarely watch day races once summer hits, if I've got nothing going on I'll watch for a bit but usually am outside or woodworking or not sitting watching racing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

DEMAG posted:

This.

Also, tits and caffeine spiked sodas are more marketable to males 24-107 than cellphones. Which is the majority of the fan base.

Human Grand Prix posted:

Indycar has been road racing focused for 30 years. It's boom period coincided with more road racing. There was once an all-oval Indycar series; it was the biggest piece of poo poo imaginable.

And yet the IRL was the one that survived...

Shorten the races, shorten the schedule, more short tracks and road courses, lower ticket prices and cut stands.

I could literally write out a plan and save NASCAR in 20 minutes but the France family is too loving arrogant and stupid to listen to anyone.

• Locked thread