Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Nice to see Stonescar get knocked down a peg. https://www.eternalnexus.com/tournaments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Mistaken For Bacon posted:

The only tier list I know of is at RNGeternal, and the last time I used it, the names were out of date, so there's nothing really like HearthArena. In general, you want to be drafting creatures that affect the board in a meaningful way, efficient weapons, and efficient spells. If you're coming in from Magic, there are signals to read, so don't get married to your first pick and think about when it's time to abandon a faction.

Disclaimer: I am bad at draft. I'm currently sitting at silver. I just joined this draft, and have no clue what to take. This seems like I should pick a common: Seek Power, Mithril Mac or Skysnapper

I would take either Temple Scribe or Combrei Healer, probably Healer. Mythril Mace isn't very good for its cost unless you can buff it via Warcry (which you can't reliably do in draft), and while flying units are extremely useful in draft the Reckless aspect of Skysnapper (plus the fact that it dies to any kind of ping) make it too unreliable. Seek Power is fine but you generally want it to round out a deck, not as a first pick.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Got to masters in ranked for the first time... it really doesn't take very long if you do it at the end of the season

Armory seems like the best deck at the climbing ranks.

Here was my list:
2 Charchain Flail (Set1 #3)
4 Inspire (Set1 #129)
4 Seek Power (Set1 #408)
4 Torch (Set1 #8)
1 Annihilate (Set1 #269)
4 Quarry (Set1001 #15)
4 Rakano Artisan (Set1 #312)
3 Vanquish (Set1 #143)
3 Sword of Icaria (Set1 #315)
2 Valkyrie Enforcer (Set1 #151)
4 Auric Runehammer (Set1 #166)
1 Furnace Mage (Set1 #40)
3 Rise to the Challenge (Set1 #320)
1 Steward of the Past (Set1 #287)
3 Harsh Rule (Set1 #172)
1 Smuggler's Stash (Set1 #396)
3 Throne Warden (Set1 #514)
1 Stonescar Maul (Set1 #52)
2 Icaria, the Liberator (Set1 #329)
6 Fire Sigil (Set1 #1)
6 Justice Sigil (Set1 #126)
1 Shadow Sigil (Set1 #249)
4 Seat of Chaos (Set0 #60)
4 Seat of Glory (Set0 #56)
4 Seat of Vengeance (Set0 #55)

The 1x annihilate was nice, fourth Auric Runehammer might have been too many - replacing it with a Rolant's or Vara's favor might be correct.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I just ran jito to loving stomp armory.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I started out with plagues, then bailiffs, then stopped bothering because I'd thought there'd be a lot of jitos but I ran into zero over the course of 60 games or so - everyone was playing burn queen instead.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I'm running an Elysian deck in draft right now (2-0 thus far, hopefully it can take me into Gold before the end of the season) and since I have both cards I should probably know the answer to this question: if you play Twinning Ritual on False Prince while it's in your hand, does it still turn into a frog, or does it need to actually be in play for that effect to go off?

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009

Grozz Nuy posted:

I'm running an Elysian deck in draft right now (2-0 thus far, hopefully it can take me into Gold before the end of the season) and since I have both cards I should probably know the answer to this question: if you play Twinning Ritual on False Prince while it's in your hand, does it still turn into a frog, or does it need to actually be in play for that effect to go off?

It doesnt turn into a frog that text is only active when its in play.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Stangg posted:

It doesnt turn into a frog that text is only active when its in play.

That's what I thought, but I didn't want to accidentally cost myself a game finding that out for the first time. Thanks!

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

BREAD Will get you through the basics of drafting.

B – Bombs
R – Removal
E – Efficient Spells or creatures
A – Aggro
D – Dregs

Bombs are anything that is capable of winning the game on its own. Especially things that can break stalemates really easily. Things your opponent absolutely has to answer or they lose.

Removal, is of course removal. Look for high quality removal though, avoid something like spirit drain unless its just the only pick. In eternal you could also classify relic weapons here, but only the good ones.

Efficient creatures and spells. Looks for creatures with a good cost for the body. Its important to not get too hung up on card text either. Something like Brightmace Paladin is a fine card just for being a 3/3 for 3, even if your deck has no way to trigger its lifesteal. Soaring Stranger is another fine example, a 3/3 flier for 4 is great value, don't avoid it just because you don't have any stranger synergy. That said, once you pick it, you might want to value other strangers a tad higher. You also want to be looking for your cards that can trade efficiently, something like Amethyst Acolyte that can kill a smaller threat or a shrink a bigger one to a manageable size and still leave a body. Or cards that are capable of trading up, like Dire-fang Spider. Efficient spells are going to things like good card advantage, Wisdom of the Elders, or efficient combat tricks like Finest Hour. Be careful not to overload your deck with too many spells, you will need creatures to hold the board.

Aggro, you are going to need a few good early drops. Look for cards that can either apply a lot of pressure and force your opponent to deal with them, cheap fliers here are great. Or cards that are capable of trading up. If you can trade your 1 or 2 drop for your opponents 3 or 4 drop, thats good. Its also good if you can force your opponent to use removal or a combat trick on your 1 or 2 drop. Avoid deliberately drafting an aggro deck. Draft tends to be a slower format since the decks are not finely tuned, so going too all in on aggro will mean you run out of gas easily. That said, recognize when the cards are falling that way. I 7/x'ed my last draft with a curve that stopped at 4, and won most of my games because opponents played nothing in the first 3 turns.

Dregs are just the last pick garbage, a good draft deck won't have any of these.

BREAD is more useful for your first few picks, as the draft goes on you are going to be looking to fill out your curve and picking up cards that good synergy with your deck. Think about whether your deck is an aggro deck, or a control deck and pick cards accordingly.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Hand Row posted:

Nice to see Stonescar get knocked down a peg. https://www.eternalnexus.com/tournaments

I love these lists because they're basically a guide for what to build against when playing games on ladder. Tournament results are pretty much worthless as a guide for what to play in ranked, but that doesn't stop about half of the players (my estimate) from treating it like one. I've always been a strong proponent of frequently switching the deck you play to go against whatever direction the metagame is trending in, and these tournament lists make it easy. Plus whenever some new weird deck starts becoming popular, you can usually use this to find their exact decklist to avoid getting caught offguard.

Of course you have to actually pay attention to the decks you play against too, since not everyone is just copying their list off eternaldecks. But this still saves a lot of effort.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

No Wave posted:

Got to masters in ranked for the first time... it really doesn't take very long if you do it at the end of the season

Armory seems like the best deck at the climbing ranks.
My impression (as of yesterday anyway) at high ranks that shimmerpack might be the strongest atm, but this can change quickly and I have a feeling it'll be something else by tomorrow. Armory decks are good though, fairly easy to play and get a passable winrate with. It's just that there's so many people playing it, so "wide" decks like shimmerpack tend to be stronger, and shmmerpack in particular (imo) is fairly strong against the current glut of stonescar decks.

It's one of those ones that tends to metagame specific though. The nice thing about armory decks is they seem to be good regardless of what the current flavour of the week is.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

so, permastunning a false prince doesn't turn him into a frog? what the gently caress?

edit: I meant permafrost obviously

Hauki fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Feb 27, 2017

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Permafrost is actually an attachment, like a weapon or something. it's in the same category as Azindel's Gift and a bunch of stuff nobody uses.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

rumble in the bunghole posted:

Permafrost is actually an attachment, like a weapon or something. it's in the same category as Azindel's Gift and a bunch of stuff nobody uses.

yeah, I guess I still read spell in the mtg sense

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I was trying to figure out why permafrost and curses are so confusing. The main reason: curses like permafrost give you a reaction window, whereas normal attachments don't

This means that curses have attributes of both spells and attachments, which is why their rules don't ever make intuitive sense to me in the context of the four major card types (attachment, spell, unit, power).

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

No Wave posted:

I was trying to figure out why permafrost and curses are so confusing. The main reason: curses like permafrost give you a reaction window, whereas normal attachments don't

This means that curses have attributes of both spells and attachments, which is why their rules don't ever make intuitive sense to me in the context of the four major card types (attachment, spell, unit, power).

Curses don't have reaction windows

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
For now I'm shelving Carpet/Party Shuffle and going with a more straightforward Big rear end Dinos monolight deck. Seems to be more productive against armies of warcry.

Using the Steam client, I can't seem to emote. I click on my picture and I get no options, just a popup of my avatar. If I do it on the Android client, it works fine. Am I the only one?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

delfin posted:

For now I'm shelving Carpet/Party Shuffle and going with a more straightforward Big rear end Dinos monolight deck. Seems to be more productive against armies of warcry.

Using the Steam client, I can't seem to emote. I click on my picture and I get no options, just a popup of my avatar. If I do it on the Android client, it works fine. Am I the only one?

Right-click for emotes.

If you're doing that and it's not working, I dunno!

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
So for those that have played Hex, is this better, and why?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

vulturesrow posted:

So for those that have played Hex, is this better, and why?

I haven't played Hex since set 4 came out, but

F2P grind is easier, individual games play much faster, drafts fire on demand (no queue), you don't have to pass priority a thousand times, UI is cleaner

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Grozz Nuy posted:

3-3, it did not get me into Gold. A couple of my losses were really close too, it was disappointing.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
From hovering just outside the top 100 to 600th or so in one disastrous morning, and also did 0 progress on today's quest. Good work variance!

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Lone Goat posted:

I haven't played Hex since set 4 came out, but

F2P grind is easier, individual games play much faster, drafts fire on demand (no queue), you don't have to pass priority a thousand times, UI is cleaner

Seconded.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
I've been stuck in Gold 2 Ranked for a while trying out various decks and then I decided to put Aggro Combrei together as I'm working towards big combrei anywhere. It's a very good deck in the mid ranks meta, it has the punching power of the other aggro decks but with the added long game and defense against sweepers, took me into diamond in no time and I fully expect it to carry me to Masters before the reset tomorrow.

I'm just using the stock list from RngEternal:

4 Initiate of the Sands (Set1 #74)
4 Awakened Student (Set1 #331)
4 Desert Marshal (Set1 #332)
4 Temple Scribe (Set1 #502)
4 Vanquish (Set1 #143)
3 Amber Acolyte (Set1 #93)
4 Combrei Healer (Set1 #333)
4 Knight-Chancellor Siraf (Set1 #335)
3 Stand Together (Set1 #334)
4 Valkyrie Enforcer (Set1 #151)
3 Marisen’s Disciple (Set1 #104)
4 Sandstorm Titan (Set1 #99)
4 Xenan Obelisk (Set1 #103)
1 Predatory Carnosaur (Set1 #118)
8 Justice Sigil (Set1 #126)
8 Time Sigil (Set1 #63)
1 Amber Monument (Set1 #420)
4 Combrei Banner (Set1 #424)
4 Seat of Progress (Set0 #58)

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Probably just luck but I've been rolling over people in gold with Icaria Blue added bonus is that its really fun to play.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Ever since I made master I've been playing mostly with ManuS's Voltron combreisian deck and seriously have a 70%ish win rate. It's fun!

Hauki
May 11, 2010

MrL_JaKiri posted:

From hovering just outside the top 100 to 600th or so in one disastrous morning, and also did 0 progress on today's quest. Good work variance!

Yeah I tried to make dino dad work for a bit yesterday and tanked hard again :eng99:

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

I opened a Crown of Possibilities and just slotted it right into my dino deck. Lost 5 out of 6 games but the one that I was victorious had a Twinbrood Sauropod get Destiny, drawing a Hibernating Behemoth also with Destiny on turn 4. It was very worth tanking 300 places.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Last season was bronze, now I'm ending at silver, if I continue at this pace I don't mind if it's slow.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

yeah I actually didn't realize there were rank rewards so I didn't bother grinding anything and would usually just play jank that matched up with my quests the most, so I'm only going to end up in gold, but now that I know you get a free premium legendary and 3 packs for master, next season....

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

No Safe Word posted:

yeah I actually didn't realize there were rank rewards so I didn't bother grinding anything and would usually just play jank that matched up with my quests the most, so I'm only going to end up in gold, but now that I know you get a free premium legendary and 3 packs for master, next season....

I better get a good premium legendary. Big Brei needs more shinies...

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

ShaneB posted:

I better get a good premium legendary. Big Brei needs more shinies...

Everyone gets Idol of Destran. Or New Tomorrow. Trying to come up with the worst legendary.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
New to the game and I have a few questions.

Does forge get harder as you rank up? Seems super easy right now and 4 packs + a bunch of gold every run seems overly generous. Or do the rewards just taper off instead?

Also how many sets are there? Looks like you get 3 packs from each set when you buy gems. Was wondering how many sets that was.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

bamhand posted:

New to the game and I have a few questions.

Does forge get harder as you rank up? Seems super easy right now and 4 packs + a bunch of gold every run seems overly generous. Or do the rewards just taper off instead?

Also how many sets are there? Looks like you get 3 packs from each set when you buy gems. Was wondering how many sets that was.

I -think- forge gets slightly harder as you rank up but it's still very easy. When you reach master you stop getting the big rank up rewards so you end up losing gold even if you win.

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007
Man I love this dumb game. I'm just grinding gauntlet with a fast red deck right now. Copied a scream deck that makes a lot of noise and draws a lot of cards but doesn't win. Ending season a bronze in both ranked and draft.

Really scratching that magic itch, much better than hearthstone.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

netcat posted:

I -think- forge gets slightly harder as you rank up but it's still very easy. When you reach master you stop getting the big rank up rewards so you end up losing gold even if you win.

You still end up "gold-positive" if you think of it in terms of what you get, though. Because you get I think 5 packs worth of cards (2 from the Forge, 3 from the chests) and 1500+ gold at that point. And if you get the diamond chest upgrade you definitely make gold :haw:

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Losing forge games to flood or screw feels sooooo much worse then draft though.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The difference between 7 win forge master/diamond in terms of reward isn't super significant, the common recommendation to stop ranking forge once you hit master is still mostly right though because sooner or later it'll get too hard to win consistently but it's kind of complicated to explain out every time

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Finally made it to Silver in Ranked. Fat rear end dinos getting it done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The best time to play Forge after you hit master is when you are a little drunk and don't want to be done playing but also don't want to play ladder but ALSO don't have 5k gold.