Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I know, I know. I was thinking of characters who never made it into the theater and riffed. Besides random characters. I can't think of anyone one time characters who made it into the theater except Timmy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Cambot did that ESPN scoreboard gag in Sidehackers.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

The Ape of Naples posted:

I know, I know. I was thinking of characters who never made it into the theater and riffed. Besides random characters. I can't think of anyone one time characters who made it into the theater except Timmy.

If we're going by character instead of actor, there's always Eddie.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

And really, wasn't Cambot in every theatre segment filming it?

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

bunnyofdoom posted:

And really, wasn't Cambot in every theatre segment filming it?

Good point. Did Joel make Cambot or was he created by Forrester to monitor Joel and the experiments? I know the song implies that Joel mad the bots but still. I've got a lot of facts I want answered right now.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Good point. Did Joel make Cambot or was he created by Forrester to monitor Joel and the experiments? I know the song implies that Joel mad the bots but still. I've got a lot of facts I want answered right now.

I would assume Forrester did.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

In the Kickstarter update where he showed concept art for the new Cambot, Joel said that when brainstorming ideas for the new season he'd had the idea that Cambot works for the Mads. I'd never thought of it before (it's just a show, and all that), but it makes some sense that Cambot would've been the one bot that Joel didn't build.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Joel briefly discusses this in Kickstarter Update #30, "The Return of... Cambot!" It's a backers-only update so I won't quote it, but it's just a couple of sentences in which he muses that Cambot probably works for the Mads.

e: ^^^ :argh:

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I don't know what's real anymore...

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

I don't know what's real anymore...

It's just a show, you should really just relax.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

There's a few Rifftrax shorts that are Mary Jo and Bridget.

The Flashdance themed dentist one has one of the rare cases where one of the riffers almost loses it even in the final take. Bridget has a line where the girls in the short are spreading their legs for a routine and says something like "That'll put some snap in your retainer!" and MJ just loses it for about 10 seconds.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Cambot does actually riff in two episodes. He does a bunch of images making fun of the racing in Sidehackers and he cries in one of them when a security camera gets shot.

Magic Voice also sort of riffs on a movie. She has a conversation with the narrator of The Atomic Brain. It's outside of the theater, but it is just dialog from the film.

I don't think Brain Guy and Bobo (the characters, obviously) ever get into the theater, though. Frank, Dr. Forester, Pearl and Gypsy all have a go.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Bicyclops posted:

I don't think Brain Guy and Bobo (the characters, obviously) ever get into the theater

They do in the 1st Annual Summer Blockbuster Review, but not in the regular show.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Also, I guess when you think about it, isn't Cambot the only one going through the elaborate doors that go into the theater?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

Also, I guess when you think about it, isn't Cambot the only one going through the elaborate doors that go into the theater?

Mike runs through them once.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

rydiafan posted:

Mike runs through them once.

I must not be there in my rewatch yet, I'm sure it's hilarious.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
Bobo kinda sucks

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I always thought Cambot was a camera that the Mads used to watch Joel, and Joel made him a robot friend and altered him to project the footage to Earth for us to watch along.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Franchescanado posted:

I always thought Cambot was a camera that the Mads used to watch Joel, and Joel made him a robot friend and altered him to project the footage to Earth for us to watch along.

Joel, Mike, and the Bots have modified him to help out with their host segments on numerous occasions.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

Bobo kinda sucks

My memory is that he's just one joke, for the entirety of his run, and there's something about the makeup that limits Kevin Murphy's ability to do that one joke justice. I used to laugh a lot at the noise Brain Guy made when he was using his brain powers. I'm interested to see if I still do once I get back to him.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Brain Guy is entirely worth it for "When loving lovers love"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The skit from that era I like the best is when Pearl moves into the castle and tries to throw a ball but everyone comes over to watch Sliders in Brain Guy's room.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

Bicyclops posted:

Cambot does actually riff in two episodes. He does a bunch of images making fun of the racing in Sidehackers and he cries in one of them when a security camera gets shot.

That's from Danger!! Death Ray and it's not in the theater but in the final host segment after the movie ends.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Fezz posted:

That's from Danger!! Death Ray and it's not in the theater but in the final host segment after the movie ends.

And it was a full-on camera massacre, too.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

My memory is that he's just one joke, for the entirety of his run, and there's something about the makeup that limits Kevin Murphy's ability to do that one joke justice.
I remember him saying once that the Bobo mask was his penance for forcing interns to wear the Jerry & Sylvia masks back in the early days of the show.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Bobo for me falls under "so annoying it's funny", but I still sort of wish there had been more to him. Observer I like a lot, the dynamic between him and Pearl is really fun, whereas Bobo just seems like a liability and it's not clear why they even keep him around.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

The Time Dissolver posted:

Bobo for me falls under "so annoying it's funny", but I still sort of wish there had been more to him. Observer I like a lot, the dynamic between him and Pearl is really fun, whereas Bobo just seems like a liability and it's not clear why they even keep him around.

Spare parts and a test dummy.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I like Bobo but they never seemed to know how to write for him. There's a segment at the end of The Undead where Bobo is making a sandwich and it's obvious from the start that he's going to turn around and grab Observer's brain from the fridge and eat it on accident, but the skit goes on forever and it practically crawls to the punchline. It's almost excruciating to watch.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I like Bobo but they never seemed to know how to write for him. There's a segment at the end of The Undead where Bobo is making a sandwich and it's obvious from the start that he's going to turn around and grab Observer's brain from the fridge and eat it on accident, but the skit goes on forever and it practically crawls to the punchline. It's almost excruciating to watch.

I love that bit.

For the most part, I was always kinda meh on Bobo, but I love Brain Guy, particularly his insistence that he has no body. I loved when Frank was asking to have his soul, and Brain Guy responding that he was "barking up the wrong albino".

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
Bobo was meh for me up until he plays the lawyer in Mike's crimes against humanity sketches.

"Shut up, boy, I'm defending you.'

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

There are some people that find that sort of thing really, really funny. See the Mike's stereo bit from The Creeping Terror, the pee scene from Austin Powers, or the episode of Space Ghost Coast to Coast where he follows an ant for most of the episode.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I'm glad this was mentioned because when Bobo grabs the Mayo he says "May-o-nnaise" in a voice and I'm sure it's a reference to something but I don't know what. Now overtime I make a sandwich I hear "May-o-nnaise" in my head.

Does anyone know where it's from?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

I'm glad this was mentioned because when Bobo grabs the Mayo he says "May-o-nnaise" in a voice and I'm sure it's a reference to something but I don't know what. Now overtime I make a sandwich I hear "May-o-nnaise" in my head.

Does anyone know where it's from?

It's from An Officer and a Gentleman. Richard Gere's character is named "Mayo" and Lou Gossett, Jr (the drill Sargent) calls him "May-o-nnaise".

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Joel just sent out a new update introducing us to the voice of the new Gypsy, Rebecca Hanson. This might be her first time in the spotlight; she came up through Second City and has been writing, singing, and doing improv in Chicago for ten years, but I can't find any of her work on YouTube, unless she also dabbles in politics.

Joel also shared some interesting thoughts he had about how Gypsy fits into the new show, and I gotta tell you -- I'm REALLY excited.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

During the NYC screening on the 14th, Joel said this update would be out "tomorrow." Given his history with promising updates on specific days, I'm not surprised it took almost two weeks. :)

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?

Ms Boods posted:

Bobo was meh for me up until he plays the lawyer in Mike's crimes against humanity sketches.

"Shut up, boy, I'm defending you.'

"Now we are going to be saying the word "Panties" an awful lot during this trial so lets just get it out of the way now to stop all the gigglings... panties, panties... panties panties panties..."

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

TVs Ian posted:

There are some people that find that sort of thing really, really funny. See the Mike's stereo bit from The Creeping Terror, the pee scene from Austin Powers, or the episode of Space Ghost Coast to Coast where he follows an ant for most of the episode.

I'm one of those. There's this scene in Urusei Yatsura where they're intimidated by having to walk up a huge stairway on a hillside, and the camera pans up slowly for 20 seconds to show how high it is, gets to a landing, pauses, and then scrolls up faster for 40 more seconds on an even higher stairway. It's literally an entire minute of dead air, but the longer it went on, the harder I laughed.

That show is great for that type of humor. A couple more instances I recall were a character having enormously heavy weights on his feet and veeeery slowly making his way up some stairs, and Ataru teetering on his chair on two legs in the background of a scene, just on the brink of falling over, getting more desperate the whole time, but managing to keep from falling for again probably close to a minute.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mister Kingdom posted:

It's from An Officer and a Gentleman. Richard Gere's character is named "Mayo" and Lou Gossett, Jr (the drill Sargent) calls him "May-o-nnaise".

Thank you. It was bugging me.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

BooDoug187 posted:

"Now we are going to be saying the word "Panties" an awful lot during this trial so lets just get it out of the way now to stop all the gigglings... panties, panties... panties panties panties..."

I kinda want to hear the unbleeped version of Crow's testimony. I feel like Bill enjoyed doing it.
Fake Edit: I just watched it and I could figure out every word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

It's literally an entire minute of dead air, but the longer it went on, the harder I laughed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pGZbfNADNs

The first time I saw this, I lost it so hard my wife was concerned about my wellbeing. Started with just a chuckle thinking "Wait, is this a Sven and Ole joke?" and then progressively laughing harder and harder as it went on. To the point of tears. I just can't explain it.

It's probably my favorite skit.
v:shobon:v

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Feb 27, 2017