Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Instant coffee powder creamer is just too gross for me, so I do tea. Somehow I don't mind the powdered creamer with it as much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Skip the coffee altogether. It messes up your hydration, masks pain (which you kinda need to avoid RSI and blisters and such) and will keep your heart rate elevated when you're stopped trying to catch your breath.

If you think you need caffeine, go for dark chocolate. Those saturated fats are a good source of endurance energy.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
Instant coffee + instant hot cocoa.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Skip the coffee altogether. It messes up your hydration, masks pain (which you kinda need to avoid RSI and blisters and such) and will keep your heart rate elevated when you're stopped trying to catch your breath.

If you think you need caffeine, go for dark chocolate. Those saturated fats are a good source of endurance energy.

Nah

None of those first things are true for people used to drinking coffee

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Caffeine pills. Usually I'm with someone who brings coffee, but if it's up to me I just don't think it's worth the effort. I'll usually still have hot oatmeal, so I'm not missing out on my morning warm thing.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

What's everyone's go to solution for coffee while backpacking? Instant? Tea bag things? Please help :coffeepal:

I've used caffeine pills before and various instant coffees and I finally found one that is better than a lot of coffee. It comes in a glass bottle, which i transfer to a plastic one or a baggy, and you can get it at Walmart for five Canadian dollars. Nescafe espresso instant coffee. It's really good. It's very fine, as opposed to traditional instant coffee. Mix it with hot chocolate mix for a treat.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

What's everyone's go to solution for coffee while backpacking? Instant? Tea bag things? Please help :coffeepal:

I use a jetboil stove and it's easy to turn the pot into a coffee french press with one of these cheap little things: http://www.jetboil.com/Accessories/Coffee-Press/

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

coffee while backpacking for me is more of a morning ritual/have something hot thing than needing the caffeine so caffeine pills wouldn't do the trick. Love the smell and taste of coffee in the morning

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Wow, I did the same hike that enfeebled me a few weeks ago but with the trekking poles. It's like flipping on 4 wheel drive once you get used to using them. Got through the entire hike without any knee or hip pain, amazing!

I love being able to use my upper body strength to help me along, especially up hills - and being able to grip them on the top and spider down steep stuff like you are in low gear.

Scottw330
Jan 24, 2005

Please, Hammer,
Don't Hurt Em :(
I was going to say I usually get my caffine from hot chocolate while backpacking, but after a quick google it looks like those packets only have 5mg, so I guess I pretty much go without caffine.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I usually bring some energy gels that have caffeine in them as well.

Hard to beat hot coffee in the morning though.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Levitate posted:

coffee while backpacking for me is more of a morning ritual/have something hot thing than needing the caffeine so caffeine pills wouldn't do the trick. Love the smell and taste of coffee in the morning

I have found personally that hot coffee in the morning is one of the more important morale boosters on multi-day treks.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
I might be in Seattle in a few weeks and have time for a day hike. Can anyone recommend something? I'd be ok with a few thousand feet of elevation change and ~ 15 miles round trip, trailhead must be accessible by cheap small rental car.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

remote control carnivore posted:

I have found personally that hot coffee in the morning is one of the more important morale boosters on multi-day treks.

It's a must have and Starbucks Instant actually tastes like real coffee and is totally drinkable black.

The morale boost can't be overstated, especially in the cold/rain/snow. It also makes the fourth morning of pop tarts way easier to get down.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Tigren posted:

It's a must have and Starbucks Instant actually tastes like real coffee and is totally drinkable black.

The morale boost can't be overstated, especially in the cold/rain/snow. It also makes the fourth morning of pop tarts way easier to get down.

Fourth morning of poptarts? God. Get some freeze dried breakfasts and enjoy scrambled eggs with ham.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Tigren posted:

Yeah, the Via is actually pretty good and what I use most of the time.

Tsyni posted:

Fourth morning of poptarts? God. Get some freeze dried breakfasts and enjoy scrambled eggs with ham.

Or a mix of the two. :) I did Mountain House biscuits and gravy (pretty good for freeze-dried) on my last solo trip and I got so grossed out by them on the fourth morning I gave up eating. Hiked out on nothing but gels. At least it was the last day!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
My longest hike was only like 5 days/4nights, but even by like day two I had no appetite and had to make myself eat. I think when I (hopefully) try to extend that a bit this spring I think I am bringing like two days of real food and the rest in just Snickers bars, peanuts, and cilli powder coated dried mangos. That will be some light weight calories (iirc Sinkers are like 150c per oz) and just enough fiber to keep me moving.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Has anyone ever dealt with Lyme in here before? I picked up a half dozen ticks overseas a couple years back and didn't notice them for a day or two, and I'm wondering if I should go and get tested. :tinfoil:

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
Absolutely do not ignore Lyme if you think you've been exposed. It can wreck your joints forever. You can have it without the bullseye rash - a test is the only way to be certain.

That said, do you know the difference between dog ticks and deer ticks?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I get so swarmed with ticks every summer that I just assume I am gonna get some awful disease at some point. I have a elaborate anti-tick protocol I use when I know I am going to be standing in tall grass all day, but it's too hot for general summer hiking wear.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Electoral Surgery posted:

I might be in Seattle in a few weeks and have time for a day hike. Can anyone recommend something? I'd be ok with a few thousand feet of elevation change and ~ 15 miles round trip, trailhead must be accessible by cheap small rental car.

Check wta.org, but you'll need to pay attention to nwac (avalanche center) for some locations. If you're looking to avoid major snow, you'll need to stay back from the passes as most locations within 20mi still aren't open up to the usually parking lots. If you have no spikes or poles, you'll probably need to stay within 30mi of I5.

Do you have a minimum distance expectation? Loops are rare here, but there are some at greater distances. Do you need a viewing every 37.3min to be satisfied?

You'll also need to get a WA Discover Pass for most places. They can be purchased and printed online ($5/day).

Give us more info; when you're closer check the weather, check wta, and let us know what questions you have based on your findings.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Spent some time in Death Valley and in the nearby Darwin Falls Wilderness area. The weather was perfect and would love to go back in February again.

Also a nice restaurant in Panamint Springs with lots of beer on tap. Try the Darwin Falls trail for a day hike, then drive a short distance for some burgers and brew.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Has anyone backpacked in Cerro Castillo in patagonia? I'm heading there in a few days :peanut:

ronaldreagan
Mar 25, 2005

Rime posted:

Has anyone ever dealt with Lyme in here before? I picked up a half dozen ticks overseas a couple years back and didn't notice them for a day or two, and I'm wondering if I should go and get tested. :tinfoil:

I believe I've had it multiple times, 3 summers in a row actually. Only got the bullseye rash twice but all the other symptoms were the same for the time without it. As long as it's caught early and you get on the antibiotics then it's generally not a big deal but if it lingers untreated it can really mess you up. From what I recall (and this was awhile ago) the test for it was rather inaccurate or took forever or something because I was given the antibiotics immediately and the test was pretty much irrelevant. This was an area with a lot of ticks & Lyme disease though and it was pretty routine for the doctors to see and treat it - I understand that in other areas where it's not as common things might work a bit different.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Rime posted:

Very few tick bites transmit Lyme. See a doctor if you get an unexplained fever or a bullseye rash, otherwise don't worry about it.

Also where were you overseas? There are many other tick transmitted diseases than Lyme...

e: wait it was a couple years back? I think you would have noticed by now.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010

Electoral Surgery posted:

In late March it's likely that you will run into significant snow above 3,000 feet except on the westernmost foothills of the Cascades. Mt. Si is a reliable choice if you are looking for a big climb that probably won't have any snow until the very top. Rattlesnake Mountain is mostly known for the big rock outcropping on the east end (Rattlesnake Ledge) but the trail goes from one end of the ridge to the other so you can easily hike for 10-15 miles if you're so inclined. Tiger Mountain has a substantial network of trails that can easily be combined to create a long loop. That's your best bet if you don't want to do an out and back hike. Up north, Oyster Dome near Bellingham provides classic northwest views and can be combined with other hikes in the area. Expect mud. All of these hikes are accessible via paved roads.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I'm still undecided about my stove situation for my AT thru-hike. I've been 100% set on a JetBoil MicroMo because it's a complete system, packs away nicely and boils water super fast in all weather. Also perfect for coffee and oatmeal in the morning.

But it might be nice to fry things sometimes, right? Like maybe if I had a small frying pan clipped to my backpack ala Samwise Gamgee then I could sometimes cook sausage, eggs, nice crispy bacon. Or is this just a waste of money and weight and I should just forget the frying pan? Decisions decisions.

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008

Alan_Shore posted:

I'm still undecided about my stove situation for my AT thru-hike. I've been 100% set on a JetBoil MicroMo because it's a complete system, packs away nicely and boils water super fast in all weather. Also perfect for coffee and oatmeal in the morning.

But it might be nice to fry things sometimes, right? Like maybe if I had a small frying pan clipped to my backpack ala Samwise Gamgee then I could sometimes cook sausage, eggs, nice crispy bacon. Or is this just a waste of money and weight and I should just forget the frying pan? Decisions decisions.

I would personally not bother bringing a frying pan, for one thing, there will almost certainly be several in the boxes of gear that hikers ditch soon after starting the trail, so if you really want one, you can just grab one there for free. Second, there is a pretty good reason most hikers end up ditching them shortly after starting the trail.

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
Maybe get some Mountain House 'Breakfast Skillet' meals instead? Seems like they're purpose-built to answer your question.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
Thanks for the Seattle area hiking advice!

Alan_Shore posted:

definitely do this, live out your hobbit dreams and post about how it went for you

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Alan_Shore posted:

MSR Whisperlight Universal is the bees knees. I wouldn't bring a frying pan, you'll be close enough to town you can just pop in and get breakfast at a restaurant if that's what you really want one morning. More of a treat less of a hassle than toting around an extra 2lbs for use once a week.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

SeaborneClink posted:

MSR Whisperlight Universal is the bees knees. I wouldn't bring a frying pan, you'll be close enough to town you can just pop in and get breakfast at a restaurant if that's what you really want one morning. More of a treat less of a hassle than toting around an extra 2lbs for use once a week.

Yeah, was going to recommend this. It's what I use. You can probably fry stuff in lots of pots.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

lavaca posted:

Up north, Oyster Dome near Bellingham provides classic northwest views and can be combined with other hikes in the area.

See it while it still has trees

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Flambeau posted:

Maybe get some Mountain House 'Breakfast Skillet' meals instead? Seems like they're purpose-built to answer your question.

True but a little bit of an expensive idea for an AT thru hike.

Honestly i usually only boil water but for the occasion that i do something else, i really appreciate having a tiny stove and small lightweight pot instead of a jetboil all in one thingy.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

alnilam posted:

Very few tick bites transmit Lyme. See a doctor if you get an unexplained fever or a bullseye rash, otherwise don't worry about it.

Also where were you overseas? There are many other tick transmitted diseases than Lyme...

e: wait it was a couple years back? I think you would have noticed by now.

Armenia/Azerbaijan. I was getting random fevers every two or three weeks through the fall and generally felt like poo poo, but it seems the test is a complete crapshoot so at this point I guess it's just :shrug:.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

You're right, I'll avoid the frying pan and hang up my hobbit dreams. If there's a frying pan in a hiker's box maybe I'll try it.

I'll have a few Mountain House-style dinners at the start to ease me way in, but they're way too expensive in the long run.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Rime posted:

Armenia/Azerbaijan. I was getting random fevers every two or three weeks through the fall and generally felt like poo poo, but it seems the test is a complete crapshoot so at this point I guess it's just :shrug:.

Is there even Lyme in that region? There are so many tick borne diseases that it might still be worth talking to a doc at some point. In the US alone there are at least two other nasty tick borne diseases other than Lyme. And getting random fevers as an otherwise healthy adult is not something to take lightly imo.

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

If you're brown, GET DOWN!

Alan_Shore posted:

You're right, I'll avoid the frying pan and hang up my hobbit dreams. If there's a frying pan in a hiker's box maybe I'll try it.

I'll have a few Mountain House-style dinners at the start to ease me way in, but they're way too expensive in the long run.

Have you come across this?
http://andrewskurka.com/section/how-to/food-nutrition/meal-recipes/
http://andrewskurka.com/2014/week-of-backpacking-food-breakdown/

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

you'll be stopping in town enough on the AT if you want a hot breakfast/lunch/dinner you can probably get one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

No I haven't. Thanks! Massively helpful.

Levitate posted:

you'll be stopping in town enough on the AT if you want a hot breakfast/lunch/dinner you can probably get one

That's true! Lots of options if I get sick of mac and cheese.