Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
I maintain that the Forgotten Sands wasn't a bad game. Did it need to be made? No, not really. I just don't understand why everyone seems to hate it so much. I think its worst sin is being a little bland.

And once again in Epilogue we see a pretty good platforming section capped off by another lovely repeat boss fight. I mean, I would've taken PoP2008 even with the lovely boss fights if the rest of the game had platforming that was consistently this good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

nine-gear crow posted:

And that's the crux of it: just how credible is Ahriman, anyway? Especially because the only other person who could argue the counter point was 1) dead at the time, and 2) didn't know what the gently caress was really going on either. But yeah, the game doth protest too much because the Prince got hoodwinked by Ahriman into making THE EXACT SAME BARGAIN that the Mourning King did, only much much worse this time.

(minor nitpick: not the exact same bargain as the Mourning King. Charming Jackass of Persia still has his soul)

See, I think that CJoP's post-hoc rationalization actually holds water: without the Ahura, Ahriman has won, even if he has to chill under seal for a couple millennia. Considering the Ahura were tasked with maintaining the seal and he still managed to get out, how long will this new seal last without any maintenance? And if Ormazd didn't feel the need to directly intervene during this shitshow, how can we assume he'd stop sitting on his rear end in the future?

But let's not pretend this isn't a rationalization. Let's not pretend this is why the Charming Jackass went "no gently caress you dad god I'm taking the sucker's bargain". CJoP took the bargain because he wanted his girl back, and if he happened to luck into the correct choice that was certainly not deliberate.

As to why Ahriman offered the bargain? Standard villainous hubris: he's free right now instead of possibly much later and come on, what could two puny mortals do against the might of a god?

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

KieranWalker posted:

I maintain that the Forgotten Sands wasn't a bad game. Did it need to be made? No, not really. I just don't understand why everyone seems to hate it so much. I think its worst sin is being a little bland.

And once again in Epilogue we see a pretty good platforming section capped off by another lovely repeat boss fight. I mean, I would've taken PoP2008 even with the lovely boss fights if the rest of the game had platforming that was consistently this good.

People really hate mediocre version of good things, heck that is why I argue this game gets such a bad wrap when really it has never been the worst game in existence (I still love the actual act of platforming way more in this game than Sands trilogy for example).

And yeah, if you look at the fate of the Ahura over time? They Held the temple and Ahriman for millenia, only to fade away into nothingness while Ormaz was off dicking about.

One other main Difference in this Prince is he never really caused this whole problem to begin with, Unlike in sands of time where he had to undo his mistake from the get go he has always kinda been dragged along this ride.

I'm this games #1 apologist, gently caress I wrote a Master's paper on it

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

nine-gear crow posted:

“The Wall of Ormazd”
Since that's literally what it does

Stormgale posted:

Tell us more?

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Fish Noise posted:

Tell us more?

It was about how the mechanics of PoP2008 encourage constant forward Momentum and Flow because I think how the platforming plays (light seed hunting excluded) is sincerely the best in a PoP Game and feels so good.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Stormgale posted:

link plz.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Prince of Persia 2008: I wrote a Master's thesis THIS THICK!

But seriously, that is actually a pretty topic to write a paper on, and the game, for all the poo poo we give it, is rife for that kind of under-the-hood exploration. I hope you got a good grade on it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
So the third part of Epilogue is going to be up tomorrow, but just as a heads up that that was the last one we recorded and we're unable to record the remainder this weekend due to multiple schedule/illness conflicts. So Epilogue is going to be taking a (at least) one-one hiatus till maybe next week. Though if you've been able to wait a whole year for this LP to finish, another week probably hurt.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Yeah this wasn't my thesis statement, just a short Essay on the subject (hence the focus on flow), as I said I think this was a B+ A- grade, worse than my "How you can build games to make players act in ways to make other players have fun" final Essay for that module.

An essay This Thick

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-

Stormgale posted:

Yeah this wasn't my thesis statement, just a short Essay on the subject (hence the focus on flow), as I said I think this was a B+ A- grade, worse than my "How you can build games to make players act in ways to make other players have fun" final Essay for that module.

An essay This Thick

That was an interesting read, thanks.

When thinking about flow in video games, and about Elika constantly reviving you, I'm reminded of Super Meat Boy. That game also features a short iteration between deaths, though its level structure (and how short the levels are) feel like they give a better sense of progression when you finally beat a segment. Looking at PoP08 though, it doesn't feel that the flow is as satisfying, and I'm wondering why. Maybe these reasons:
  • The characters aren't likable with the story as it is
  • The power-ups feel somewhat unneeded, since your path is always linear. If powerups enabled alternate paths, maybe they'd be more meaningful. Or maybe they're just... meh
  • Low-death achievements work well when the game gives a fair chance to avoid all deaths.
Am I off base here?

Anaxite fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Feb 18, 2017

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Garden (Polsy)

Elika has a crisis of faith and the Prince remembers this really sweet tomb he robbed once while we solve the only actual puzzle that's in Epilogue.

Miliardo
Dec 3, 2014

I wouldn't consider myself an apologist for the game, but I do think that the ending was actually really good. If anything, I think Epilogue sells how little Ubisoft was willing to stand behind PoP2008. The Energize power feels like something that was cut from the base game, these bosses are bupkiss, and the whole thing is a Marty Stu reaction plot. The ending had me thinking, "Holy poo poo! The next game is going to be great!" And, well, we're seeing how that all turned out. If they had stuck to their guns (or rolled with the punches, if they didn't intend what they made), PoP2009/2010 could have been amazing. The world is going to be bent over a dark god's knee, and the only hope you have is putting a sword and some magic in him before he gets his power back. They can toy around with the idea that it isn't even possible, and put the irreverent Prince through his own sort of crisis of faith while expanding on a truly interesting relationship. Best of all, it's all your fault, and your only trump card is that it doesn't look like you asked for anything. That can be used: if Ahriman has to give you something to take your soul, the fact that the Prince didn't ask for anything is an interesting accidental gambit.

On an unrelated note, the Energize power reminds me of L.A. Noire, a game whose head creators I will never understand the mindset of with regard to its DLC. Energize has obviously synergy at least with that red magic power, and it looks good. I can't see why you would hang on to that if you had it on the table when it came time to gather up the good bits and make a game.

Fake edit: I watched the third video while writing this. Epilogue is the idea for PoP2009/2010 condensed into two hours. Man, this is sad; Ubisoft gave up on the baby before it even left the crib.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Anaxite posted:

That was an interesting read, thanks.

When thinking about flow in video games, and about Elika constantly reviving you, I'm reminded of Super Meat Boy. That game also features a short iteration between deaths, though its level structure (and how short the levels are) feel like they give a better sense of progression when you finally beat a segment. Looking at PoP08 though, it doesn't feel that the flow is as satisfying, and I'm wondering why. Maybe these reasons:
  • The characters aren't likable with the story as it is
  • The power-ups feel somewhat unneeded, since your path is always linear. If powerups enabled alternate paths, maybe they'd be more meaningful. Or maybe they're just... meh
  • Low-death achievements work well when the game gives a fair chance to avoid all deaths.
Am I off base here?

They are fundamentally different games, I mean SMB is all about madcap experimentation and the death loop is far more of a loop, it's why it's lightning quick and is segmented into digestible levels, the moment you master something you have a new challenge to face.

PoP208 is obviously more of a linear thing (in the way you experience it) you are designed to go through a level at speed and enjoy the story/quips/boss fights and then experiment a little getting the light seeds, it's a little apples/oranges comparison.

The game you want to compare 2008 to is well, Sands of time and that's honestly a bit of a mixed bag, the brief summary I can say without disgorging pretentious bullshit is:
  • The Time rewind mechanic is actually a lot more damaging to flow than the elika save, just because it's actually rather frustrating to use.
    (This also was kinda crutch for the way Sands of time was really bad at figuring out what to do to Progress, you could just rewind if you hosed up)
  • In 2008 they over-ccorected some of the sands of time issues (fighting multiple people in Sands-> Throne was a pain always, so let's ditch and always do 1 on 1s)
  • The sands trilogy individually were much better stories, you had a nice arc of "Prince has hosed up (in the previous game or the start) and now must deal with the consequences" rather than this which really is just a setup for the game they maybe wanted to tell?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Tomb (Polsy)

The Prince suddenly remembers he's supposed to be a cynic. The Shapeshifter finally fucks the hell off forever. And the Mourning King steps up his game something fierce.

Just one video left now. The nightmare is almost over...

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
the videos are done. we did it. we've defeated PoP2008.

it's hard to believe, but it's here.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Blind Sally posted:

the videos are done. we did it. we've defeated PoP2008.

it's hard to believe, but it's here.

Do it all over again. For funsies.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

The Real Prince of Persia was the carpet jokes you made along the way.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
If Blind Sally gets me his drat audio the final video will be up tonight.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

nine-gear crow posted:

If Blind Sally gets me his drat audio the final video will be up tonight.

:devil:

grimlock_master
Nov 1, 2013

Fuck you, suzie
Please let this nightmare be over

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Hold the last episode hostage, make people donate to charity or something.

Make some good come out of all this suffering.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Ballroom ~ Credits (Polsy)

The Prince and Elika reach the exit of the Underground Temple at long last, but the Mourning King is there waiting for them. In order to continue, Elika faces a daunting decision.

Bonus Video (Polsy)

Crow, Artix, Sally, CJakes and Fedule burn down Prince of Persia and take a nice long piss on its ashes.

So the question now at the end of all things is “where do we go from here?” And the answer is “I honestly don’t give a poo poo, the franchise is dead. Go play the Sands of Time HD trilogy.”

That said, there is a fairly strong theory out there that I’m partial to (which Fedule also touches in in the finale video as well) that says now that Elika has abandoned him and can no longer protect him with her magic, and with both Ahriman and the Mourning King coming up hot on his heels, the Prince is doomed to become the sixth Corrupted. Because (whether he meant to or not), he did indeed strike the exact same deal with Ahriman that the Mourning King did, and we all saw how well that ultimately turned out for the King.

And, personally speaking, I think that becoming one of the new Corrupted alongside the Mourning King is a perfectly fitting fate for the Prince and an appropriate price for his hubris and cynicism. The other five Corrupted all thought they could outsmart Ahriman too and got rightly tooled for it, twisted by their own desires into slaves to his will, so it’s no stretch to assume the Prince is starring down the barrel of the exact same gun they all did. And when you think about it, he’s already got the bog-standard Corrupted descriptor name to go along with the others: The Prince.

So yeah the Prince can just go gently caress off and enjoy his eternity of being a super powered slave to Ahriman’s will with his harem of chocolate-covered demon women and carpets of ash and dust where people and cities once stood this thick. Because that’s the hilarious irony of it all: the Concubine was right about him all along…

(Above image shamelessly stolen from DeviantArtist RawGraff. You can see the full version of the “Corrupted Prince” picture here on his DA account.)

A QUICK NOTE ON THE ALT SKINS
We didn’t actually touch on it in the video, but each skin for both the Prince and Elika has different unlock parameters.

• Sands of Time Prince - Enter the code 52585854 in the Skins menu.
  • Farah - Enter the code 52585854 in the Skins menu.

• Altair - Sync your Ubisoft.com account to your PlayStation Network or Xbox Live account. Then activate it in “Skins Manager” under “Extras.” Or enter the code 13372805.
  • Jade - Complete the base game.

• Prototype Prince - Collect all 1001 Light Seeds or complete Epilogue.
  • Prototype Elika - Collect all 1001 Light Seeds or complete Epilogue.

Now, I suppose, all that’s left to do is finally start up that LP of Prince of Persia: The Fallen King I’ve been kicking around to cap this all o—PAHAHAHAHA!!! I can’t even finish that sentence. We’re loving done. We honestly have been for a LONG time now. The echo just finally caught up to us in real time.

Anyways, thank you all for sticking out the madness with us. Thank you especially to Artix for forcibly salvaging this LP and actually giving me the drive and inspiration to properly round it out with Epilogue, and also a big thanks to my wonderful co-commentators; Blind Sally, CJacobs, and Fedule, with additional thanks to poorlywrittennovel for his one-off post-facto guest spot, and apologies to Putty whom I had record a slate of material for the Magic Plate tutorial videos that I ultimately didn’t end up using, so gently caress me I guess.

And that is a perfect note to end on. It’s been a long time coming. And I promise I will never again LP another game on a whim like this… Unless you count Total Extreme Wrestling.

See you… out there.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
We did it, folks. We loving did it. Prince of Persia is loving dead, long live Prince of Persia.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Well that was a wet fart of an ending :|

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Do you feel like a hero yet?

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Thank you, gentlemen, for putting forth the effort to actually finish this trainwreck of a game. I hope you manage to recover some shred of your sanity in the aftermath.

I am still half tempted to do an LP of Forgotten Sands but I think it would ultimately be kinda boring to watch.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Thanks for finishing the game even though there really wasn't any carpets this thick in it for you. Now you can actually play some good games for a change!

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Well, thank God it's over.

Who knows, maybe Ubisoft will one day give Assassin's Creed the same sendoff it gave to the Prince of Persia franchise.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Well, congrats to you guys.

I do have slivers of hope that one day we will get another PoP, either a sequel or a straight up reboot. At this point the franchise kinda has nowhere else to go- as seen with Forgotten Sands (Which really wasn't bad, just very much OK), adding to the Sands of Time trilogy won't work, and while this did well the fandom's built up a lot of (Fairly or not depending on your opinion on 2008) bad blood regarding 2008. So doing a whole new story may be the one way forward for Prince of Persia.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
The reboot turns out to be an alternate-to-already-alternate-history modern day Assassin's Creed.

Also Watch Dogs too.

It ends with him accidentally hard-launching the singularity after breaking into ECHELON's AHRIMAN system.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I just don't get the mentality behind adding the epilogue.

The game itself had a bad ending, yes. Epilogue's is somehow worse though.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
:siren: Prince of Persia 2008 essays ahead :siren:

Found a good article that takes apart the effect Epilogue has on the rest of the game. Obviously, it doesn't explain why the felt the need to make Epilogue (sweet, sweet DLC cash!?), but it offers some compelling reasons as to why it failed. At least they're a bit more nuanced than my own opinions:

http://www.pixelpoppers.com/2010/02/choice-is-not-yours-why-prince-of.html

quote:

[It] is therefore a drat crying shame that the Epilogue spends so much time backpedaling furiously [from the game's ending].

Available only on the consoles and not the PC, the Epilogue is a downloadable expansion to the game, adding on a few more hours of gameplay and story showing what happens to the Prince and Elika after the events of the main game. They come across an underground palace which they travel through to try to escape Ahriman, with plenty of the requisite platforming and combat along the way.

Elika, having regained her strength, is quite upset with the Prince. The Prince tries to calm her down, justifying his decision to bring her back to life. He claims that Ahriman wanted her dead, so no one would be around to stop him when he inevitably escaped his weakening prison.

Despite the fact that these claims contradict Ahriman's behavior and statements at the end of the main game, the Epilogue provides evidence that the Prince is actually correct. Ahriman is not yet as strong as he'd been implied to be, and Elika's powers persist and actually strengthen despite the destruction of the temple that was their source. Elika and the Prince may actually have a fighting chance against Ahriman, which they would not have if Ahriman escaped while Elika was dead.

By retconning the Prince's decision into the pragmatically correct one, the Epilogue destroys the impact of the main game's ending. The whole point of the Prince's actions is that they are wrongheaded.

"We are shown that while the Prince makes bad decisions, he makes them because he is a somewhat deep, multi-faceted character. His ultimate betrayal of Elika’s trust and desires is actually quite interesting, if one cares about the complexity (but not necessarily the quality!) of his character: it shows him for the troubled, selfish, not-necessarily good person that he is. It also asks us to question how he and Elika can be attracted to one another, even if she knows his sense of morals and necessity differs vastly from hers."

—Tom Cross, The Sexual Politics Of Prince Of Persia

The Epilogue tramples over the accomplishment of the main game's ending, without providing much of anything in the way of compelling narrative to replace it. Elika and the Prince run and fight and climb their way through the palace and emerge on the other side. Still stung by his betrayal, Elika abandons the Prince and goes in search of the rest of her people.

It doesn't even look like there's going to be a sequel: the next game, The Forgotten Sands, is an interquel set within the Sands of Time trilogy. The unresolved state in which the Epilogue leaves the story after undoing Prince of Persia's dramatic and decisive ending appears to be as much closure as we're getting.

Thus the great sorrow of Prince of Persia is that it undoes its own great triumph. It puts forward one of the gutsiest and most exquisitely crafted game endings ever seen in a AAA-title, and then immediately repents and says it didn't really mean it, leaving the player with nothing but a limp apology. It should have been content to leave us with a blown mind and a broken heart.

I don't like the game's original ending quite as much as the writer, but I tend to sympathie with their thoughts on it, as well as their deconstruction of Epilogue. Regarding the ending specifically, I actually find myself agreeing with this person's reading:

https://www.destructoid.com/revisited-the-ending-of-prince-of-persia-is-broken-154331.phtml

quote:

That my motivations (as a player) and his ([The Prince]) are dissonant doesn't bother me at all. However, that doesn't change the fact that the transition from non-linear, open world gameplay to linear narrative is sloppy and slapdash and, unfortunately, makes a potentially powerful ending impotent. I think Ubisoft wanted me to have become emotionally invested in the the couple, but the fragmentation of the narrative, with nothing keeping it all together, made that impossible.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
For me, the lynchpin that caused it to all fall apart is that the game doesn't do nearly enough toward making Elika actually like the Prince. His decision in the ending is based on how he feels about her and that's it, but they physically make you do it because you're supposed to care too. But they don't do enough to make you care, even though the Prince does. Just him caring about Elika isn't enough for the player, even if it is for the story.

From the beginning of the game to the end, he grows to sorta like her and find her interesting, and she sees him as the "charming-but-only-facetiously" jackass throughout. She recognizes aloud to him that he is a hero for what he's doing to save the world, but they don't add the "...and I think you're pretty cool for doing it" that would tie it all together. Neither character changes at all and that really sucks.

The Prince should have become a hero and not so self-centered, and Elika should have softened up to him and revoked her damning of humanity as a bunch of pricks. That was the story they very obviously wanted to tell right from when the characters meet each other. In my opinion it would've made the stinger about the Prince changing his mind and doing the most selfish thing at the end hit even harder! But they don't ever get there and that really really sucks!!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Mar 1, 2017

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
The Prince of Missed Opportunities this thick!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Speaking of which, from that last article:

:byodood:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
ha, i didn't even notice. i was too distracted by:

:havlat::yum::havlat:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

One last thing to show off now that everything I said and done.

This is a screenshot from my Xbox Live Achievements portfolio. When I completed my original recording of the game for the LP (note the unlock date for the achievement), I actually unlocked the Be Gentle With Her achievement. I only discovered after I'd finished recording Epilogue back in January. The achievement never unlocked in game at the point it was supposed to unlock.

I'm at an honest loss as to what the hell happened here because I clearly did not beat the game in under 100 deaths, and yet it unlocked. That's not an edited screenshot, I have no reason to post a forgery. It unlocked for no reason and then never notified me it had. And I'm honestly not sure who to blame here, Ubisoft or Xbox because one is just as spotty as the other and putting the two together is often a recipe for disaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
You have ruined yourself, crow!!!!! Cool so there are retroactively more winners of that contest.

• Locked thread