Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Am I missing something when it comes to ordering custom cables that are shorter and more ITX friendly? CableMod is quoting me cable sets that cost more than my PSU alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

buglord posted:

Am I missing something when it comes to ordering custom cables that are shorter and more ITX friendly? CableMod is quoting me cable sets that cost more than my PSU alone.

Thats the price you pay for custom. If you want custom, make your own.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.
Speaking of which, I wouldn't have though making your own would be too hard? Back in the day I changed all my psu connections for blue ones from a kit and it was pretty easy to do.

I guess you'd measure the size you need (measure thrice) then either trim and crimp new connections on or somehow reuse the old one, perhaps with butt joints?

Not that I plan to ever to that. But I am a bit jealous of these itx builds, especially the one just posted. I went matx and find it a bit cumbersome to lug around at times.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

SlayVus posted:

Thats the price you pay for custom. If you want custom, make your own.

Yeah it seems so. I didnt expect to pay a premium for literally just shortened cables. But also it seems like different PSU's support different cables, which means theres like 20 different ATX cables out there specifically for certain PSUs. Id imagine that has something to do with the price. I thought these were all universal.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

buglord posted:

Yeah it seems so. I didnt expect to pay a premium for literally just shortened cables. But also it seems like different PSU's support different cables, which means theres like 20 different ATX cables out there specifically for certain PSUs. Id imagine that has something to do with the price. I thought these were all universal.

ATX PSUs can have lots of different pinouts The motherboard pins have to be standard, but on the receiving end of the PSU it can be wired all different ways.

You can simply buy an ATX pin removal tool, cables, pins, and a crimper. One wire at a time, remove and replace with a shorter cable that you crimp the pins to yourself.

https://www.amazon.com/Konsait-Modding-Removal-Computer-Connector/dp/B0171RDCWW/

Pretty much every brand of these pin removal tools gets panned for breaking, so you gotta be real dainty with them.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Feb 27, 2017

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Wouldn't it just be easier to open the PSU, unsolder wires, shorten them, then resolder? Or are we talking about the funky modular jobbies?

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
If anyone is using a non-modular PSU with an ITX build I feel very very sorry for them.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I will certainly find a way to electrocute myself/destroy my components, so I guess ill just deal with generous cable lengths instead :shobon:

Lafarg
Jul 23, 2012

Building in a node 202 with a core I7-7700. Will the stock cooler be good enough? Going to be using it for video editing, and gaming.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

system protocol posted:

Building in a node 202 with a core I7-7700. Will the stock cooler be good enough? Going to be using it for video editing, and gaming.
I wouldn't. The stock cooler has a reputation for being extremely noisy and sometimes even thermal throttling on the high end i7s. Probably worthwhile to buy something low profile with heatpipes

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Col.Kiwi posted:

I wouldn't. The stock cooler has a reputation for being extremely noisy and sometimes even thermal throttling on the high end i7s. Probably worthwhile to buy something low profile with heatpipes

According to this video, this Zalman is a really good cooler for its price/size.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuUGfql2BmM

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...c9f5d38f796cdff

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Cinara posted:

If anyone is using a non-modular PSU with an ITX build I feel very very sorry for them.

Everything is modular if you have wirecutters and or a soldering iron.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

mekilljoydammit posted:

Everything is modular if you have wirecutters and or a soldering iron.

It's not like SFX power supplies have an obnoxious amount of cables. The manufacturers seem to realize what the limits an SFX build are and have unnecessary cables. The most extra you'll ever have is a few SATA powers and maybe a string of molexes.

Lafarg
Jul 23, 2012

VulgarandStupid posted:

It's not like SFX power supplies have an obnoxious amount of cables. The manufacturers seem to realize what the limits an SFX build are and have unnecessary cables. The most extra you'll ever have is a few SATA powers and maybe a string of molexes.

I just bought the Node 202 that came with the 450w power supply. There really isn't much to work with and I don't expect to have too much trouble shoehorning them somewhere.

Lafarg
Jul 23, 2012

VulgarandStupid posted:

According to this video, this Zalman is a really good cooler for its price/size.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuUGfql2BmM

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...c9f5d38f796cdff

Yeah it's going to be a toss up between that, and the Noctua LH-L9i

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

buglord posted:

Some have said https://beyondcustoms.net is decently priced for custom sets, especially with Rand -> USD. Located in South Africa.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Cinara posted:

Oh I don't know, a non modular PSU with modded cables + extra cables removed should take up even less space.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Yeah, because it's now the same as modular :v:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

On modular supplies, the plugs generally take up some space. We're not talking about adding sockets + cable plugs to them.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Feb 28, 2017

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

I didn't bother to cut anything - ended up with a relatively clean install with a non-modular PSU into a 10L (or so?) case. I mean I can see how it could get borderline if you're really pushing minimum volume though.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I wonder if it would be better to stick with a gtx 1080 for the 180w power draw vs the 1080ti with 250w draw for an Ncase M1. I game at 1440p at the moment if that helps.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Coredump posted:

I wonder if it would be better to stick with a gtx 1080 for the 180w power draw vs the 1080ti with 250w draw for an Ncase M1. I game at 1440p at the moment if that helps.

I believe the 1070 is the recommended 1440p card. I'd hazard to guess before benchmarks hit that there'd be a difference but you'd need a gsync monitor to see it.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Wellp, the 1080Ti has been announced and it runs at lower wattage than the 980Ti. However, in guessing there's no chance that there will be a mini version. I'm hoping NFC will design a longer S4 mini, now. I wonder what would be a good use of the space on top, though. Maybe hard drives, SSDs or possibly space for a single 120mm radiator that would blow right through.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Coredump posted:

The 1080ti is 220w TDP, not 250w. I don't think 40w would make any difference in an NCase, just better performance.

I'm getting one for my S4, since I currently max out at 270w with the 1080, and the newer HDPlex does 300w with a 400w peak it should be fine.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Leaked info about Ryzen says that ITX motherboards have their own chipsets, X300 and A300. It might be a while before they show up.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
How much does open air vs. blower cooling matter in SFF? I'm thinking about getting a new GPU and am wondering if I'm pretty much locked into some Founder's Edition garbage or if I have options.

I thought I remembered seeing some numbers on Hardforum and the difference was negligible.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I need to do some modifications to the RVZ02 I own. The plastic bit in front (specifically the top left and bottom right corners of the front facade as seen on the official product page) protrude a few millimeters too far for my needs.

How would I go about removing/rounding off the offending corners? They are plastic that appears relatively soft, as they were scratched by the metal frame of the suitcase I placed the computer into. Assume I do not have access to power tools.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Metal files

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

beepsandboops posted:

How much does open air vs. blower cooling matter in SFF? I'm thinking about getting a new GPU and am wondering if I'm pretty much locked into some Founder's Edition garbage or if I have options.

I thought I remembered seeing some numbers on Hardforum and the difference was negligible.

Depends on the case. If it's PARTICULARLY CRAMPED with no exhaust vents nearby you're gonna need a blower style cooler (Node 202, specifically). Why? Because the open air design makes all the heat naturally dissipate away from the GPU, in the hopes that it will be blown away or removed from the system by the rest of your cooling operation. The cube-style SFF PCs have a natural current of air since they have an exhaust vent, or one large chamber that everything sits in, and a fan is blowing in and/or another fan is blowing out which makes the dissipating heat from the open air get whisked away.

Some cases, like the Node 202, have a compartment with only one intake vent. This chamber is separated from the rest of the components and houses the GPU and maybe some intake fans in that same chamber. The only way for it to escape the chamber is through the back of the panel where the HDMI cases go and in the small hole where the PCI-E cords go. This means while it's running, the heat is necessarily trapped in that chamber: the only vents are used for intake and that hot air gets recycled and blown on the GPU and it gets hot as a motherfucker. If you have a blower style, it necessarily vents the heat out the back of the case solving this problem (but being loud as gently caress).

The FTZ-01 and S4 Mini are both cases that feature a bunch of vents for hot air to escape from, meaning they don't need blower-style GPUs. Blower-styles will be effective in them, but they aren't necessary like they are in other certain cases.

Other cases, like the SG-13, or other cube-ish style SFF cases usually have a single chamber that isn't separated and an exhaust vent where all the air in the case gets blown out, along with other vents for natural air exchange. Some even have intake fans to bolster this process so that fresh air is being dumped into the case where it mixes with the heat from ALL components which vents out via the outtake fan and other vents.

The takeaway is this: any case that has a separate chamber for a GPU needs vents in that chamber that aren't used for intake of air so that the hot air can get the gently caress out of that bitch after being heated up by the GPU itself.

In any case where there's just one big chamber, like a normal ATX tower or most cube-design ITX cases, the difference is negligible meaning you should get open-air coolers, since they are more silent and marginally more effective at cooling the GPU down. If you're looking for tiny-rear end cramped designs, it's prudent to consider if the hot air from the GPU will be able to be vented out of the case. If so, get an open-air. If not, get a blower and some ear plugs.

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

Finished my NCASE M1 build last night.

Parts
i7 7700k, delidded, at 5GHz and stock voltage
NZXT Kraken x52 (Because I wanted the newest pump and the H100i V2 doesn't fit.)
MSI Z270i Pro Gaming AC
32GB DDR4 2400
Asus ROG Strix 1080, mild OC. This was a bitch to fit and I'm kind of scared about airflow because of it.
Corsair SF600 PSU
500GB 960 Evo
1TB Crucial MX300

With Prime95 2.66 and Furmark running simultaneously nothing peaks above 80 and steady state temps are in the mid-70s.

I'm planning to make some custom PSU cables soon because the stock ones are way too long and make the cabling a mess.

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007
Creativity flows in the bored and the angry!

Pokemon OH SNAP! posted:

Finished my NCASE M1 build last night.

Parts
i7 7700k, delidded, at 5GHz and stock voltage
NZXT Kraken x52 (Because I wanted the newest pump and the H100i V2 doesn't fit.)
MSI Z270i Pro Gaming AC
32GB DDR4 2400
Asus ROG Strix 1080, mild OC. This was a bitch to fit and I'm kind of scared about airflow because of it.
Corsair SF600 PSU
500GB 960 Evo
1TB Crucial MX300

With Prime95 2.66 and Furmark running simultaneously nothing peaks above 80 and steady state temps are in the mid-70s.

I'm planning to make some custom PSU cables soon because the stock ones are way too long and make the cabling a mess.

Miss read the second pic, thought it said "Republic of Croatia".

Maaaaaaaan that looks sweet as hell. I'm still wondering if i should order a N-Case for my future , the shipping and fees brings it closer to 230 $ which is pretty steep for a case....

It is hella good looking though. Ugh.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I love mine. I intend to keep it for a long, long time.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
So sadly my Node 202 build (https://pcpartpicker.com/builds/edit/?userbuild=mXHhP6) has been suffering from mid-high 90s CPU temps after consistently peaking at ~88C for about a month. About a week ago I noticed the temperatures for core 1 start to creep up to 90, then 92, 95, and finally 98 (lol i am NOT playing overwatch again until i fix this).

Currently my considered methods of reducing this temperature are:
* Reapply thermal paste (possible I fudged this up in the first place, although im unsure if that would cause the gradual increase of temperatures we're seeing here).
* underclock my 7700k
* delid the CPU (im a little scared of loving this up)

This is after I test under load with half of the case off to see what effect that has, although obviously I don't want to do that all of the time. Any suggestions or guidance? My GPU temps have always been fine.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
Is the processor at stock voltage? Assuming it is, I think probably either the thermal paste or the cooler mounting is the issue. Definitely carefully reapply paste and carefully remount cooler to make sure it is nice and snug on there. Don't stress about other stuff until you try that because I don't think you're likely to have to do anything more extreme.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

Col.Kiwi posted:

Is the processor at stock voltage? Assuming it is, I think probably either the thermal paste or the cooler mounting is the issue. Definitely carefully reapply paste and carefully remount cooler to make sure it is nice and snug on there. Don't stress about other stuff until you try that because I don't think you're likely to have to do anything more extreme.

kk, any recommendations for amazing thermal paste?

edit: do these voltages look about right? http://imgur.com/a/E3fwc

an skeleton fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Mar 6, 2017

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Definitely retry mounting the CPU cooler. I've had situations where I mounted the cooler wrong (despite it looking properly installed), and temps shooting up to the mid 90s and causing system crashes. Its sort of nuts how much just the slightest lack-of-contact makes. Take your time, remove all the thermal paste until the CPU lid and copper contacts are immaculate, then try again.

Wouldn't know what thermal paste to apply. I've always stuck with whatever was tossed in or cheap. I never overclock though. so the difference of a few degrees celsius doesn't mean that much to me with high-50s low 60s temps :shobon:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

If it's at stock clocks, would be worth undervolting it.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
My SUGO 13, being the sub $50 scrap of metal it is, doesn't have any dust guards on three of its vents. This is a dumb question, but will buying sticky/magnetic dust filters for each vent keep dust out? And will it harm airflow in any way? The case is pretty much perfect and I plan on keeping this setup for the foreseeable future, but the case isn't too much fun to work in, so id like to avoid frequent dusting if possible.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

buglord posted:

My SUGO 13, being the sub $50 scrap of metal it is, doesn't have any dust guards on three of its vents. This is a dumb question, but will buying sticky/magnetic dust filters for each vent keep dust out? And will it harm airflow in any way? The case is pretty much perfect and I plan on keeping this setup for the foreseeable future, but the case isn't too much fun to work in, so id like to avoid frequent dusting if possible.

Your fans will have to work a bit harder to pull air through the filters, so the system might be a bit louder. You only need filters over your intake fans, though. Filtered intakes and positive pressure is the way to keep a case clean. If there is more intake than exhaust, then the case will have positive pressure while it's running, which should repel dust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004

an skeleton posted:

kk, any recommendations for amazing thermal paste?

edit: do these voltages look about right? http://imgur.com/a/E3fwc
Doesn't really matter what kind of paste, they're all within like 1 degree of each other. Voltages look fine. Although you want to redo the paste when you remount the cooler, I bet the issue is more the cooler mounting than the paste. The other guy is right that it's pretty easy to mount a cooler so that it looks fine but it's just a bit loose, and if it's touching but not making firm enough contact things get really hot.