Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i'm glad that Review is getting a proper sendoff. with the ratings it's gotten, you'd think Comedy Central would throw it to the curb and say "gently caress you" to the fans. it's dark as hell but never stops being hilarious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

Lurdiak posted:

Futurama was never as good as the Simpsons and I don't think it's aged terribly well.

They had an entire universe to play in, and it still fell back on contemporary New York sitcom jokes way too often

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Futurama was often funny but never lived up to its potential, good thing Matt Groening abandoned the Simpsons in the woods like a deformed baby to go work on it

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

get that OUT of my face posted:

i'm glad that Review is getting a proper sendoff. with the ratings it's gotten, you'd think Comedy Central would throw it to the curb and say "gently caress you" to the fans. it's dark as hell but never stops being hilarious

They keep getting dumb shows that get rating spikes piggybacking off other premiers and hyping up some stupid popular memes and then Comedy Central is like alright let's give them 4 seasons even though they barely have enough material for one and then cut all the actual writers off after one season despite giving them poo poo time slots and no bumps or perks. And now they have like no new shows because all those hot-right-now idiots have fizzled and they've pissed off like a bakers dozen of the best comedy writers in the industry hoping for a new South Park cash cow when they could have had like 6 or more really funny shows. Not even an opportunity for people to develop characters. :shrug:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

They keep getting dumb shows that get rating spikes piggybacking off other premiers and hyping up some stupid popular memes and then Comedy Central is like alright let's give them 4 seasons even though they barely have enough material for one and then cut all the actual writers off after one season despite giving them poo poo time slots and no bumps or perks. And now they have like no new shows because all those hot-right-now idiots have fizzled and they've pissed off like a bakers dozen of the best comedy writers in the industry hoping for a new South Park cash cow when they could have had like 6 or more really funny shows. Not even an opportunity for people to develop characters. :shrug:
they still get good shows regardless. Detroiters is funny, and my friend likes Jeff and Some Aliens, though he does have lower standards. plus, they picked off Broad City from FX

i gave Legends of Chamberlain Heights a shot but the third episode (about the eight millionth The Warriors parody made since the movie came out) was stupid and not nearly funny enough to make up for the stupid stereotype jokes, so i quit after that. and Moonbeam City deserved to be treated much better than it did

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

they still get good shows regardless. Detroiters is funny, and my friend likes Jeff and Some Aliens, though he does have lower standards. plus, they picked off Broad City from FX

i gave Legends of Chamberlain Heights a shot but the third episode (about the eight millionth The Warriors parody made since the movie came out) was stupid and not nearly funny enough to make up for the stupid stereotype jokes, so i quit after that. and Moonbeam City deserved to be treated much better than it did

Yeah fuckin review, broad city, another period, Beavis and butthead (4 episodes blech), all canceled. And then poo poo like workaholics and brickleberry get like 4 season contracts off a pilot with some black magic humor that only some high level corporate sadist buttlickers are gonna feel the slightest twitch in their flaccid worm penis over or know is funny. :shrug:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Yeah fuckin review, broad city, another period, Beavis and butthead (4 episodes blech), all canceled. And then poo poo like workaholics and brickleberry get like 4 season contracts off a pilot with some black magic humor that only some high level corporate sadist buttlickers are gonna feel the slightest twitch in their flaccid worm penis over or know is funny. :shrug:
uhhhhh did you just say that Broad City got canceled? this better not be true

iirc Brickleberry got only 3 seasons, which was still too many

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
I love Futurama, but in retrospect I wish they had been more consistent with the Fry/Leela soap opera bullshit. I don't think they made Fry's swings from retard-tier childish bachelor to thoughtful caring lover very natural. Man, is that show dorky!

YeahTubaMike posted:

the third-worst cartoon I've ever seen, after Tom Goes To The Mayor

gently caress outta here dude

quote:

It still bugs the poo poo out of me that the boil episode ends with Leela apologizing to Fry after he humiliates her, and her ignoring that he reeks of goat vomit to hug him. Fry and Leela should have been a terrible couple born of Leela's abysmal self-esteem at best, not anything the audience was meant to root for.

This is a good point.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Cobweb Heart posted:

gently caress outta here dude

No, Tom Goes to the Mayor was very bad

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Iron Crowned posted:

Why, I must have accidentally stumbled into the Thread of Bad Opinions! Silly me!

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

uhhhhh did you just say that Broad City got canceled? this better not be true

iirc Brickleberry got only 3 seasons, which was still too many

I didn't see another season of broad city maybe they broke the 2 season curse of actually funny poo poo or..?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Mermaid Autopsy posted:

They had an entire universe to play in, and it still fell back on contemporary New York sitcom jokes way too often

I'm from New York, so this could be part of why I didn't mind those jokes :shobon:

Honestly I find the show very rewatchable. My Three Suns, Fry & the Slurm Factory, the one with the boneitis guy, and the episode where Leela dates the aggressively normal doctor stand out in particular.

Iron Crowned posted:

This is a fact.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Tom Goes to the Mayor is a pretty good show, if you've damaged your brain with weed abuse

like all Tom and Eric shows

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
I need to re-watch Futurama at some point. I still say it's my favorite my animated show, despite its problems. I think the biggest way they missed the mark in second run was not keeping Fry and Leela together consistently. The chase angle was already played out and it could've added a new dimension to the show, and probably provided some good moments in otherwise forgettable episodes. My favorite episodes were the really trippy sci-fi ones, but I didn't mind the standard sitcom elements, as a lot of it had a "the more things change the more they stay the same" kind of subtext about the human experience. Fry was glad to escape his mundane life from 1999, but even traveling intergalactically surrounded by mutants, robots, and aliens he still has to deal with a lot of the same problems and introspect accordingly.

As far as it holding up goes, the things I'd worry about are the early 2000s tech jokes (I remember the episode where they went onto the 3D internet in S2 already looked super dated by 2005) and the fact that we have a real-life robot-Nixon in office, which might cause some of those jokes to fall flat. Of course, I suspect the second item is going to taint most American political humor of the last 40 years.

death by computer posted:

The exact point where I started questioning if bringing Futurama back was necessarily a good thing was the Susan Boyle Boil episode.

That was kind of a Principal and the Pauper moment for Futurama, where it was a sharp change in tone from what the series had done previously, and not in a good way. Like I said earlier, though, it bounced back enough that the only way you could continue that analogy is if The Simpsons ended after S9.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I just remember the episode making fun of fast and the furious they kept making "my dad abandoned me" jokes by one character and they were all so godawfully unfunny and didn't fit at all.
The movies and last three seasons are a total unfunny dumpster fire, pacing is way, way off. Almost feels rushed.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Tom Goes to the Mayor is a pretty good show, if you've damaged your brain with weed abuse

like all Tom and Eric shows

Tim and Eric.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Blind Pineapple posted:

That was kind of a Principal and the Pauper moment for Futurama, where it was a sharp change in tone from what the series had done previously, and not in a good way. Like I said earlier, though, it bounced back enough that the only way you could continue that analogy is if The Simpsons ended after S9.

The Susan Boyle one was where I stopped watching and from what I understand, it was a jump-the-shark moment for a ton of people. It's nice it marginally bounced back, but my interest in ever revisiting it was killed by that episode.

Devil's Hands was good, tho.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

Wizard Master posted:

Tim and Eric.

i couldn't tell if this was a typo or a "pff i hate it so much i don't even know what its CALLED" thing

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I'm glad I never saw anything beyond the movies :)

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I didn't see another season of broad city maybe they broke the 2 season curse of actually funny poo poo or..?
they did, since the third season happened last year. the middle episodes were a step below its usual quality (let's never, ever speak of the Hillary Clinton episode again) but the beginning and end were top-notch as always

i thought you meant that there isn't gonna be a fourth season, which would be weird because they announced that the show was getting it right before the debut of the third

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Feb 27, 2017

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

they did, since the third season happened last year. the middle episodes were a step below its usual quality (let's never, ever speak of the Hillary Clinton episode again) but the beginning and end were top-notch as always

i thought you meant that there isn't gonna be a fourth season, which would be weird because they announced that the show was getting it right before the debut of the third

Oh yeah that's right I remember that now. The last episode of the second season was so weird and personal I thought they wrote it as a finale seeing as how cc shitcans every funny new show after 2 seasons. :shrug:

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
is this real

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8FvWTcuco0

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

YeahTubaMike posted:

Drawn Together is the third-worst cartoon I've ever seen, after Tom Goes To The Mayor

hey

gently caress you

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

How do you have access to YouTube and not Google?

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Scudworth posted:

How do you have access to YouTube and not Google?

Trump killed net neutrality

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

OK I'll defend Futurama by saying at its best it's funnier than Simpsons, is more rewatchable and has the best audio commentaries of all time.

Amazon Women in the Mood is just amazing start to finish.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Alan_Shore posted:

has the best audio commentaries of all time.

One episode has someone telling the story of his first lovely apartment which he was sharing with a guy who was constantly trying to get him in bed (but he was completely oblivious to these attempts and all the obvious flirting until years later) and who also thought the place was haunted, and John DiMaggio imagines this as a sitcom called "gay guy and the ghost" and starts doing all the voices involved. I remember this commentary more than whatever episode it was for.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Drawn Together actually got a lot more decent over time when the characters had time to "develop". By the third season they were basically parodies of themselves from the first season and the whole thing was a lot more self aware and knew exactly what it was trying to do

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I'm agape all the Futurama opinions. I've always felt like the 4 original seasons are pretty much perfect, I can't really think of a bad one.

The movies were bad. The reboot seasons came back and I was IMMEDIATELY struck by how mean spirited it was compared to the OG seasons, and I personally felt gross about the "Zap & Leela get trapped on a planet and gently caress" plot line because it makes zero sense, is pointlessly cruel to Fry, singlehandedly undoes all of their character development of like 4 years in 10 minutes, and is never brought up again.

I also think Workaholics is pretty funny (though I don't really understand how it got 6-7 seasons other than "It's so loving cheap to produce", and that Broad City is the most overrated show of my generation. Like both of these shows are about millennial potheads sucking at adulthood, but one of them has jokes and good acting (Anders Holm is a riot in every scene to me) and one of them has Hannibal Buress sometimes? I watched like 4 episodes of Broad City and just didn't get why everyone was like "this revolutionary women's comedy will pave a new path for people who want to watch girls smoke weed in dirty underwear". Women are funny, I want to laugh at them and their silly 'Dan Armistice watches us clean in our underwear' plot line... it just never got funny.

I would easily, easily place Futurama S1-4 up there with Simpsons S2-S8 as "practically perfect television". I don't think I made it through the whole reboot, but I'll look up the episodes mentioned here.

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
How can any of you idiots talk poo poo about drawn together holy gently caress

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

I'm agape all the Futurama opinions. I've always felt like the 4 original seasons are pretty much perfect, I can't really think of a bad one.

The movies were bad. The reboot seasons came back and I was IMMEDIATELY struck by how mean spirited it was compared to the OG seasons, and I personally felt gross about the "Zap & Leela get trapped on a planet and gently caress" plot line because it makes zero sense, is pointlessly cruel to Fry, singlehandedly undoes all of their character development of like 4 years in 10 minutes, and is never brought up again.

I also think Workaholics is pretty funny (though I don't really understand how it got 6-7 seasons other than "It's so loving cheap to produce", and that Broad City is the most overrated show of my generation. Like both of these shows are about millennial potheads sucking at adulthood, but one of them has jokes and good acting (Anders Holm is a riot in every scene to me) and one of them has Hannibal Buress sometimes? I watched like 4 episodes of Broad City and just didn't get why everyone was like "this revolutionary women's comedy will pave a new path for people who want to watch girls smoke weed in dirty underwear". Women are funny, I want to laugh at them and their silly 'Dan Armistice watches us clean in our underwear' plot line... it just never got funny.

I would easily, easily place Futurama S1-4 up there with Simpsons S2-S8 as "practically perfect television". I don't think I made it through the whole reboot, but I'll look up the episodes mentioned here.

I agree, early Futurama was Incredibly Good. I think time has painted them in with the later, less good seasons.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Scudworth posted:

One episode has someone telling the story of his first lovely apartment which he was sharing with a guy who was constantly trying to get him in bed (but he was completely oblivious to these attempts and all the obvious flirting until years later) and who also thought the place was haunted, and John DiMaggio imagines this as a sitcom called "gay guy and the ghost" and starts doing all the voices involved. I remember this commentary more than whatever episode it was for.

I weirdly remember that it was for Bend Her.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

Streak posted:

How can any of you idiots talk poo poo about drawn together holy gently caress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYZmlrYJ3vc

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Tom Goes to the Mayor is actually pretty funny but I don't think it's understandable if you didn't grow up in the Midwest. I have a good friend who spent his childhood in a tiny rural Nebraska town and he says the show is very true-to-life.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I'm assuming it's a Halloween episode

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Drawn Together made me physically uncomfortable at times, but it was also incredibly funny other times. Drawn Together was good.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Drawn Together made me physically uncomfortable at times

Thus it meets the definition of fine art

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

Sentient Data posted:

Thus it meets the definition of fine art

goatse confirmed as fine art for the last few lingering doubters

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Bust Rodd posted:

Broad city is loving great.

Classic futurama is pretty great.

Drawn together was horrible and I didn't know there was another opinion on the matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Bust Rodd posted:

While I like The Honking, I thought it was tonally weird and kind of a low point of the pre-resurrection series. I also thought Jurassic Bark fell flat, so I probably shouldn't be allowed to have opinions.

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Tom Goes to the Mayor is actually pretty funny but I don't think it's understandable if you didn't grow up in the Midwest. I have a good friend who spent his childhood in a tiny rural Nebraska town and he says the show is very true-to-life.

The closest I've come to the Midwest is spending a week snowed in my mom's friend's apartment in Chicago, so I guess it's possible that I don't get it.

Olaf The Stout posted:

Classic futurama is pretty great.

Drawn together was horrible and I didn't know there was another opinion on the matter.

There isn't.