Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

I skimmed through this.

"I have 4 AI programmers"
"We're now building up a small gameplay team, so gameplay programmers"
"We have a large push on design here" (systems and levels)
"We have a large environment art team here" (9 people)
lighting artist
engine team
tools programmer
65 people

[x] years in and now they are now thinking about putting together a gameplay team; while it appears their focus remains on art. Unbelievable.
I don't really follow the purpose of each office but it sounds like they are PU and a little bit of S42 stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Remember when Chris pretended that the demo player went "off-script" by shooting the sand worm, causing it to attack?

lol

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT
With the "crowdfunding" numbers, the expensive DLC ships that you can buy, the ease at which CIG can create ships to give out, the ease of selling and trading ships, the complete lack of oversight... Something fishy has to be going on. It's just too easy to manipulate the system CIG created and controls.

Apple can't create a bunch of iPhones out of thin air to give away or sell to employees, but CIG can with their own marketplace. Their digital goods are something I've never seen before. Fully stocked WOW accounts can't net the kind of money space ships can. Even giving out free game download codes nets you only fifty bucks a pop if you can manage to flip it somehow. What kind of other game content can be pulled out of someone's rear end and sold for straight cash? And nobody can tell them not to?

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

Criminal lawyer or criminal, lawyer. Yeah. No difference.

Virtual Captain posted:

I skimmed through this.

[x] years in and now they are now thinking about putting together a gameplay team; while it appears their focus remains on art. Unbelievable.
I don't really follow the purpose of each office but it sounds like they are PU and a little bit of S42 stuff.

But wait, I thought S42 was almost done? How can they not have already done this? How is it possible that backers don't understand how bad this is?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Everybody is taking "the high road" right now because it's the only way to justify the fact that there's nothing there, nothing in the foreseeable future, and nothing to look forward to even this year.

But in reality if they spent $3k on DLC, and it was destroyed within 15 minutes of them playing, and the final result is they either get the basic starter ship or are forced to be crew for another whale; they will endlessly bitch and moan.

CIG may as well just say "if you spent real money on it, it comes with this magical LTI thing" because otherwise they'll be in for a customer service nightmare.

Sadly though I don't think it will ever get to that point though. So the high road is always there to take. CIG has so far developed 0% of an MMO over the years, with not even a inkling of intention to build one outside of rebuilding how data transmission works across networks and internet connections... with the same guys who can't fix a tutorial, doors, not have characters gently caress up, and get even the most basic arena multiplayer stuff working.

Your MMO to beat all MMOs is in good hands. Fast hands. Hands so fast they can sell you more lies before you even saw them coming! :3:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Strawman posted:

Then what happened to the watertight compartments? :colbert:

They were a fabrication of imagination. So they only held back water so long as people believed in them!

This whole "I think we're sinking" attitude is very contagious, and CAN sink a ship. What you need to do is say "Everything is fine" and go find the naysayers and throw them overboard.

Only belief can keep a ship afloat!

PS: Also if you rebuke fools on the Internet who claim things are bad, you'll actually make things better and eventually I'll dock in New York. Just got to believe, friend.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

MinorInconvenience posted:

But wait, I thought S42 was almost done? How can they not have already done this? How is it possible that backers don't understand how bad this is?

We've said this about ten things they've let slip so far this year about 2015/2016 and citizens literally don't understand it.

They think 2.6.1/2 are actually new patches instead of poo poo cut from 2.6 last year. Technically they didn't release 2.6 last year. We're in March.

They're gonna do this with 3.0 as well.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Decrepus posted:

Remember when Chris pretended that the demo player went "off-script" by shooting the sand worm, causing it to attack?

lol

Just be glad Chris Roberts invented sand worms.

Next thing you know people will be all "well can I ride the sand worm?" Of course you can ride the sand worm. What kind of cheapo loving game do you think this is??? :colbert:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Allow me to demonstrate:

*puts on blindfold, fingers in her ears, screams "ship sale! Ship sale! Ship sale!!" Until the next ship sale happens!!*

Look at that development progress! drat these guys are good!

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

I think when Chris got the dollar signs in his eyes he lost sight of the game and started chasing his movie dreams again. 20 mo-cap sessions later with a dwindling budget he decided maybe they should start making the game part soon. Except he built the whole company around ~ fidelity ~ and is now playing catchup with the game mechanics. It's 2017 and they are hoping to get some basic features like mining and cargo this year; those should have been done in the first months.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Virtual Captain posted:

I skimmed through this.

lighting artist
engine team
tools programmer
65 people

If they advertised a 2016 release date but had never even hired gameplay programmers that's loving fraud.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

All the mo-cap and art stuff can easily run in parallel with the game design. They literally have no excuse.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

I love the wallpaper house analogy so much because it explains CIG to a tee.

Xaerael posted:

Most games have super rough looking pre-alphas while they get the meat and potatoes mechanics of the game sorted, then they make pretty graphics to go with the solid base game.

CIG literally wallpapered the house before it was built. Now they're frantically trying to build a house around sagging wallpaper that idiots spent far too much money on.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

If they advertised a 2016 release date but had never even hired gameplay programmers that's loving fraud.

People honestly believed 3.0 was going to come out by December last year when probably 0 work was done on the gameplay elements like storage and hauling.

2.6.x is a blatant attempt to stretch out the clock till they can hammer out a hauling system thats going to be worse than Elites when it was sold as something that was going to be 100 times as complex.

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

Virtual Captain posted:

I love the wallpaper house analogy so much because it explains CIG to a tee.

This sounds to me what we call in the business world the "bike shed effect."

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Virtual Captain posted:

I skimmed through this.

lighting artist
engine team
tools programmer
65 people

Since I'd rather take a rasp to my own teeth rather than watch SC devs and fans trying to talk about their development, do you have any rough timestamps for those items?

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Sure all that stuff in my post starts at 17mins https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0-QE4UgR4U&t=1025s and goes for about 2 or 3 mins.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Here's my theory on how things are going:

1. CIG doesn't encourage its employees to buy ships, or do anything other than take a paycheck and work on the game.

2. CIG does gently caress around with the funding counter in order to fraudulently maintain the impression that the project is continuing to bring in money so that backers will feel confident enough to spend their own cash. The people responsible justify it through some convoluted explanation about how funding is received (such as tax breaks becoming income) or about the need to avoid controversy (such as by adding ten million in one day because a new loan was secured).

3. Chris does not believe for a second that the gross mismanagement and failure to deliver is his fault, and instead blames the backers for constantly pushing him to increase the scope of the game. In his mind the opportunity for refunds absolves him of any wrongdoing should CIG fail, as those who are left know that game development is risky. This is a similar attitude shared by Bernie Madoff (and I highly recommend listening to that episode of Radio Lab).

4. There are three groups of people who work at CIG. Those who live within a reality distortion field and believe that CIG will deliver, those who are too low on the food chain to know how things are going, and those who know things are hosed but have checked out and don't care so long as a paycheck is continuing.

5. "The backers will never know" is a central tenant of the company culture.

6. Development is more about avoiding Chris's attention, or about meeting whatever idiotic spontaneous demand he spouts in as timely a fashion as possible, than providing a game with mechanics. This translates to an almost pathological desire to avoid any kind of negative feedback due to Chris's inability to handle hearing the word "no" from anyone.

:same:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

XK posted:

I think it's funny that shitizens have been making like it's a big deal that Amazon is partnering with CIG, and it's some sort of really important development relationship for Amazon, while at the same time Amazon payments strictly disallows use by crowdfunded developers.

https://pay.amazon.com/us/help/201457400

The only third-party provider they specifically mention permitting, Crowdrise, is a crowdfund site specifically for charitable causes only.

They're not using Amazon Payments. They are using PayPal and some other PCI compliant payment processor.

hot balls man no homo posted:

With the "crowdfunding" numbers, the expensive DLC ships that you can buy, the ease at which CIG can create ships to give out, the ease of selling and trading ships, the complete lack of oversight... Something fishy has to be going on. It's just too easy to manipulate the system CIG created and controls.

Apple can't create a bunch of iPhones out of thin air to give away or sell to employees, but CIG can with their own marketplace. Their digital goods are something I've never seen before. Fully stocked WOW accounts can't net the kind of money space ships can. Even giving out free game download codes nets you only fifty bucks a pop if you can manage to flip it somehow. What kind of other game content can be pulled out of someone's rear end and sold for straight cash? And nobody can tell them not to?

None. But that's inherent beauty of the scam.

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Feb 28, 2017

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yeah, but maybe they all quit?

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

I get that I'm really late to this drama, but I ran across this article from last month. In it, Mr. Roberts admits that current development is funded from the monthly ship picture sales with a reserve to finish S42 if the monthly backer contributions dry up:

"Roberts explained:
'First of all, we always have a decent amount of money in reserve, so if all support would collapse, we would not suddenly be incapacitated. We plan the scope of the development based on what arrives monthly by the people to support. I’m not worried, because even if no money came in, we would have sufficient funds to complete Squadron 42. The revenue from this could in-turn be used for the completion of Star Citizen.'”

Isn't this a crazy huge admission? Maybe I missed it earlier in this threat, but drat! He admits they have almost no money left? Why did this article not create a shitstorm of Biblical proportions??

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Virtual Captain posted:

Sure all that stuff in my post starts at 17mins https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0-QE4UgR4U&t=1025s and goes for about 2 or 3 mins.

Thank you. Goon valour stolen for use elsewhere, as is common practice.

I get that I'm really late to this drama, but I ran across this article from last month. In it, Mr. Roberts admits that current development is funded from the monthly ship picture sales with a reserve to finish S42 if the monthly backer contributions dry up:

"Roberts explained:
'First of all, we always have a decent amount of money in reserve, so if all support would collapse, we would not suddenly be incapacitated. We plan the scope of the development based on what arrives monthly by the people to support. I’m not worried, because even if no money came in, we would have sufficient funds to complete Squadron 42. The revenue from this could in-turn be used for the completion of Star Citizen.'”

Isn't this a crazy huge admission? Maybe I missed it earlier in this threat, but drat! He admits they have almost no money left? Why did this article not create a shitstorm of Biblical proportions??

Because all the faithfull only ever read the “we always have a decent amount of money in reserve […] I’m not worried, because even if no money came in, we would have sufficient funds to complete ” part, and mentally edited out the rest.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Feb 28, 2017

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

D_Smart posted:

Yeah, but maybe they all quit?

Well, looking at the people they are trying to hire based upon the listing at glassdoor.com and their own website, you might be correct, sir.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Virtual Captain posted:

I think when Chris got the dollar signs in his eyes he lost sight of the game and started chasing his movie dreams again. 20 mo-cap sessions later with a dwindling budget he decided maybe they should start making the game part soon. Except he built the whole company around ~ fidelity ~ and is now playing catchup with the game mechanics. It's 2017 and they are hoping to get some basic features like mining and cargo this year; those should have been done in the first months.

I'd like to err on the side that they got both greedy and continue to have no idea what they're doing. CR is an out of touch, way out of his league ex programmer from the early to mid 90s, trying to build the impossible by not doing anything right except graphics. Not even animation, just graphics.

I'm pretty confident that I think his understanding of the 90s and what he was told by the CryEngine guys have caused a misfire of the project.

The CryEngine guys were told that this was basically an arena space game with trading and stuff like Freelancer. Some walking around in FPS levels. The hardest part was going to get people walking around inside space ships, but it's been done before with magic.

At that time, they probably reviewed the project and advised Chris that graphics were going to be the hurdle, because of the amount of stuff he wanted to have. The gameplay loop wasn't that tough.

Well. :shobon:

Fast forward to today where the gameplay loop is an impossible dream of confusion. The scope of the game itself may as well be The Matrix. While the CryEngine guys apparently failed, and Chris never listened to the cries of his internal programming teams, he's since bled any talent that may have been able to bring a fraction of the vision to life.

Now he's working with middle talent and probably mostly fresh out of college graduates. He can't convey an idea to save his life. There is no design documentation to speak of. One day you're working on the game, the next suddenly you need to build a fake 3.0 level, or a loving sandworm fever dream that makes no sense.

All the while Chris has no understanding of how difficult his ideas are to make, and seriously believes that having an idea is more valuable than the people capable of making an idea into reality.

So what does all this net you?

Basically exactly everything Star Citizen is.
- Missed deadlines everywhere
- Features promised being pulled due to impossibility
- Features promised delayed far into other updates
- No honesty or understanding of what will be in a deliverable
- Customers who have no clue what to expect
- Totally disconnected games which will never merge together
- Zero progress on an actual MMO system
- Bugs galore

This is not anywhere near comprehensive, but none of it is a lie. This is 5 years and $140 million. People who have faith in this are astonishing. People who defend it need to go into the Guinness Book for something.

The Titanic fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Feb 28, 2017

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

The Titanic posted:

This is not anywhere near comprehensive, but none of it is a lie. This is 5 years and $140 million. People who have faith in this are astonishing. People who defend it need to go into the Guinness Book for something.

But, of course, most (high level/corporate) ponzi schemes never start out as a lie. They start out as someone trying to cover losses or mistakes that they don't want to own up to. So they lie to cover the losses or mistakes, which leads to further lies, etc. Croberts & Co. started out with the best of intentions, no doubt. But they have backed themselves into an impossible corner. And as long as the money keeps coming in, they will not have to face their ultimate failures.

Edit: Upon further review, I may have mistaken who you were accusing of the "lie," but I think my point still stands. Sorry.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

The Titanic posted:

I'd like to err on the side that they got both greedy and continue to have no idea what they're doing. CR is an out of touch, way out of his league ex programmer from the early to mid 90s, trying to build the impossible by not doing anything right except graphics. Not even animation, just graphics.

I'm pretty confident that I think his understanding of the 90s and what he was told by the CryEngine guys have caused a misfire of the project.

The CryEngine guys were told that this was basically an arena space game with trading and stuff like Freelancer. Some walking around in FPS levels. The hardest part was going to get people walking around inside space ships, but it's been done before with magic.

At that time, they probably reviewed the project and advised Chris that graphics were going to be the hurdle, because of the amount of stuff he wanted to have. The gameplay loop wasn't that tough.

Fast forward to today where the gameplay loop is an impossible dream of confusion. The scope of the game itself may as well be The Matrix. While the CryEngine guys apparently failed, and Chris never listened to the cries of his internal programming teams, he's since bled any talent that may have been able to bring a fraction of the vision to life.

Now he's working with middle talent and probably mostly fresh out of college graduates. He can't convey an idea to save his life. There is no design documentation to speak of. One day you're working on the game, the next suddenly you need to build a fake 3.0 level, or a loving sandworm fever dream that makes no sense.

All the while Chris has no understanding of how difficult his ideas are to make, and seriously believes that having an idea is more valuable than the people capable of making an idea into reality.

- Bugs galore

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

"Roberts explained:

Yeah, it is. We couldn't believe it either. But just like the MVP statement, this one too is a doozy.

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

D_Smart posted:

Yeah, it is. We couldn't believe it either. But just like the MVP statement, this one too is a doozy.

I'm sorry, but what was the "MVP statement?"

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Chris said Star Citizen would be released as a "minimum viable product" and slowly turn into the Best drat Space Sim Ever contrary to everything believed up till that point.
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/327124/from-bdsse-to-minimum-viable-product https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJoHlCc4Y7E&t=1397s

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

The Titanic posted:

- Bugs galore

ps: It's all in my July blog :grin:

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

Virtual Captain posted:

Chris said Star Citizen would be released as a "minimum viable product" and slowly turn into the Best drat Space Sim Ever contrary to everything believed up till that point.
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/327124/from-bdsse-to-minimum-viable-product https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJoHlCc4Y7E&t=1397s

Oh my. This whole saga is insanity manifest. I am speechless. And a little ashamed I (in a very small way) contributed to this mess. (And thanks for pointing me to this.)

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

I'm sorry, but what was the "MVP statement?"

Ho Lee Sheet! You're in for a treat! Start here:

quote:

So, with all this time and money wasted, it should have come as no surprise when in 10FTC Ep83 (16-04-18), Chris declared that the first release of the game wasn’t going to be the full game promised (for Nov 2014), but rather a Minimum Viable Product (MVP).

...then continue down the rabbit hole

...until you hit the Yellow brick road.

....then hang a left and walk all the way to the castle

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH
Was that chat log from their last Jump Point satire or did Chris actually say "the worm WAS NOT A JOKE" and then say they'll have xenomorphs on wrecked ships?

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

D_Smart posted:

Ho Lee Sheet! You're in for a treat! Start here:

...then continue down the rabbit hole

...until you hit the Yellow brick road.

....then hang a left and walk all the way to the castle

Jeeze. Just watched this (from you and the prior poster). If I were them, I'd shut everything down and refund as many cents on the dollar as possible to the backers and pray to G*d no one sued me personally. This guy shouldn't be put in charge of a banana stand. What an rear end in a top hat.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

This guy shouldn't be put in charge of a banana stand. What an rear end in a top hat.

At least there is always some money in the banana stand.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Jeeze. Just watched this (from you and the prior poster). If I were them, I'd shut everything down and refund as many cents on the dollar as possible to the backers and pray to G*d no one sued me personally. This guy shouldn't be put in charge of a banana stand. What an rear end in a top hat.

careful, Derek Smart is a bad man and you can't believe anything he says. Because Derek Smart's games are bad Star Citizen will definitely be the BDSSE

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Chin posted:

Was that chat log from their last Jump Point satire or did Chris actually say "the worm WAS NOT A JOKE" and then say they'll have xenomorphs on wrecked ships?
It wasn't satire. It was and still is hosted on their site. I too was in disbelief before I could get to a computer and open the pdf because I wasn't gonna mess with that on a phone.

What should be red flags and alarm bells turns into Chris demanding dreams become reality when you have your citizen goggles on. CIG waves this absurd conversation around like its a good thing.

Virtual Captain fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Feb 28, 2017

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

IncredibleIgloo posted:

At least there is always some money in the banana stand.

No touching!

starkebn posted:

careful, Derek Smart is a bad man and you can't believe anything he says. Because Derek Smart's games are bad Star Citizen will definitely be the BDSSE

I know of Mr. Smart's drama lama rep. And I am agnostic regarding it. At best, he is a visionary. At worst, he's a broken clock. No matter. I think he's got the right idea here.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007
Has anyone let them know that Conan has dong slider tech?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Hellion literally does everything with components, ship systems, and EVA that SC promised to do.

Stop spreading fud