Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

dogsicle posted:

i feel like shaft is mostly riding the source material's quality rather than bringing much themselves. but i generally dislike their one-size-fits-all approach where shaftisms are applied just because.

:frogout:

The head tilt aside, Shinbou's style is applied differently as each series calls for, and is very well suited to conveying inner monologues and small-group conversations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i think it'd be cool if they let their younger talent exist and express themselves more outside of the shinbo box, but apparently that's a minority opinion. anyway, the scene with waves from this week's ep was absolutely top notch.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

z0glin Warchief posted:

I was about to agree, but then I remembered Hidamari Sketch was Shaft, so now I'm not sure.
Hidamari is a powerful contender for sure, you won't hear any arguments for me on that.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.

dogsicle posted:

i think it'd be cool if they let their younger talent exist and express themselves more outside of the shinbo box, but apparently that's a minority opinion. anyway, the scene with waves from this week's ep was absolutely top notch.

On one hand I like seeing the styles of new directors, on the other hand I really like Shinbou.

I haven't noticed too many blatant Shaft-isms in this show but that might just be because the original manga had plenty in common with Shinbou's style.

psyer
Mar 26, 2013
Shinbou is more of a figurehead than actual directing the shows these days.

https://wavemotioncannon.com/2016/03/21/shinbo-is-dead-a-new-generation-of-shaft/

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I think it's more a nice confirmation that Shaft is just almost always really good at what they do more than calling it their best myself. But they have done some really great visual stuff in this show that when it happens I'm always immediately reminded it's them doing this.

more importantly there were cats this episode :allears:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
hey hi I have a post in the first page of this thread saying I wanted to check this show out and then I never did but i finally did this week and holy moly

Just coming off the first three episodes and I absolutely love it. All the characters are great, the family is wonderful and Harunobu is my strong sweet boy but personally my favorite thing about this show is that it has a such a perfect sense of place. Rei's apartment, the bridge, the town, the walk to the station, the shogi hall, all of it is amazing at putting you there and I'm honestly just really enchanted by the whole thing. I love poo poo like the soft pattering of the boats on the river, or the reflections of the water on Rei off the glass as he looks out from his apartment or just the clicking of shogi tiles. I'm gushing but even though I had a strong feeling I'd like this show, it still got me real good.

Hoping to be able to catch up before the finale in like a month. I've been reading the manga alongside the episodes as I finish and though I'm bummed that this run won't cover all of it, I'm glad to have a bunch more to catch up on if i move onto the manga

a good anime here

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Feb 22, 2017

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Nothing would make me happier than if this could become a long-running series for Shaft, because the story never stops getting better and more engrossing. I get chills thinking about how Shaft might handle some of the later developments. So you have a lot to look forward to, both in this show and the manga if you decide to read on.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I would love more seasons, especially if we can get more OP/EDs by Yuki

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Moltrey posted:

but personally my favorite thing about this show is that it has a such a perfect sense of place. Rei's apartment, the bridge, the town, the walk to the station, the shogi hall, all of it is amazing at putting you there and I'm honestly just really enchanted by the whole thing. I love poo poo like the soft pattering of the boats on the river, or the reflections of the water on Rei off the glass as he looks out from his apartment or just the clicking of shogi tiles. I'm gushing but even though I had a strong feeling I'd like this show, it still got me real good.

Sense of place is something that anime seems to be much better at/more focused on than most other a/v media, which is a large part of why I maintain such an interest in it.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Finished Episode 7 today and this show is still very very good, Nikaidou best boy.

One of my favorite things about this show so far as opposed to other SadBoy shows/manga is that rather than be super bootstrappy about dealing with depression, it recognizes that kind of stuff takes time and never really goes away. Even after the Kawamoto family accepts him as their own, he still struggles with feeling isolated and worried because that's exactly how that's just how depression works man. And then rather than have a big speech about how you need to be there for your friends, even on your worst days, Akari is mature enough to tell Hina when she gets worried that the only thing they can really do is give him his space and let him know they love him because some days are just bad days.

I also love that it takes Rei less than 15 chapters in a 100+ chapter series to have this kind of insight where other SadBoy stuff would make it a big revelation near the end.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Moltrey posted:

One of my favorite things about this show so far as opposed to other SadBoy shows/manga is that rather than be super bootstrappy about dealing with depression, it recognizes that kind of stuff takes time and never really goes away.

You're reading manga alongside, right?

This is one of the absolute best things that the manga does and I won't spoil it for you of course but just wait and see...

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

You're reading manga alongside, right?

This is one of the absolute best things that the manga does and I won't spoil it for you of course but just wait and see...
Yep yep, and I'll probably stick with it after the anime too if another season isn't confirmed real soon after.

The anime looks like it will only cover a third of the manga so far so I cannot wait to see what happens in that back two-thirds

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
This last episode, focused on Shimada, was so well done. I loved the monologue about his younger days.

I've had some chronic, painful problems with my digestive system my whole life, so I find myself empathizing with Shimada quite a bit. "It's part of my daily life now. I sure hate it though." I know that feeling :smith:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I wonder if other manga readers caught the little tidbit of foreshadowing in this episode for a development that comes quite a bit later in the story.

E: vvv Yep!

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Feb 28, 2017

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Nate RFB posted:

I wonder if other manga readers caught the little tidbit of foreshadowing in this episode for a development that comes quite a bit later in the story.

If you mean about Souya meijin, and no one answering the phone at his house, then yes. I love that part of the story, can't wait.

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Hi. Did you order the Mongolian… Beef?

dogsicle posted:

I would love more seasons, especially if we can get more OP/EDs by Yuki

I watch the entire OP every time. It's both nostalgic and oddly wonderful hearing Yuki sing in tune.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
This was on wikipedia's front page today and I thought it was interesting: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karolina_Styczy%C5%84ska

quote:

Styczyńska started playing shogi as a teenager after seeing the game depicted in an issue of the Japanese manga Naruto. She learned the rules of the game on the Internet, then began studying on her own using online materials and videos.[3][4][5]

quote:

She was promoted to 2-kyū on February 20, 2017, thus becoming the first non-Japanese—male or female—to be awarded full professional status.[1][2][3][4]

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Good covers.

https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll/status/837029001369563136

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That is both super neat and thematically appropriate.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

A strong end to Shimada's arc. Shaft continues to impress me with how they can convey the feelings and raw experiences of their characters visually.

The fan art at the end is my new wallpaper.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
This show has more gravitas, riveting musical scores and cues, raw emotion, and well-crafted imagery and symbolism dedicated to its shogi matches than most shows with more ostensibly serious subject matter that I can think of at the moment. I had watched the latest Gundam IBO prior, and it was fine in of itself but I could feel myself far more drawn into Shimada's struggle.

Also, Raidou is a jerk!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Bit of a Hikaru no Go moment there with Rei surmising a way to have won the match?.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
This show is just really good.

Kinda back to not liking Nikaidou though.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I wonder what an actual shogi player would think of this set-up. Would it strike them as implausible that a rank A professional would miss that solution?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

That was a wonderful and happy episode, especially on top of the heavier Kyoto ones. Really good Hinata!

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Clarste posted:

I wonder what an actual shogi player would think of this set-up. Would it strike them as implausible that a rank A professional would miss that solution?

I think it's like most sports where your mental state has a huge effect on your performance. Idk if that was a move that should be blindingly obvious, but he was at the verge of elimination, playing someone that he thought of as well beyond his league, and dealing with constant stomach pain. It makes sense to me from just a sports person standpoint that he thought he couldn't win, which fed back into him playing poorly.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
How is there only one more episode of this? :(

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Maybe they'll go for another season later. Seems to be quote popular, isn't it?

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
Kind of a weird place to end it, honestly.

There are better breaks in a bit.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

Captain Invictus posted:

Maybe they'll go for another season later. Seems to be quote popular, isn't it?

I really hope so! It feels like the kind of show that I wouldn't expect to get another season, but then again, I'm surprised it got two cours in the first place.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Hina calling Rei at the end was a good chaser after all of the downer moments from the past couple of eps.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Well good.

https://twitter.com/pkjd/status/843109405847568384

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That's p fuckin great, considering what arcs they'll likely get into.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

That's p fuckin great, considering what arcs they'll likely get into.

Heck yeah it is. Hope it's two cour again

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
drat, i have to choose between this and rakugo for aoty 2017? what a good dilemma to have

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

A good :unsmith: close to the season, though it was severely deficient in Momo.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
My only regret is the chess club stuff didn't involve Chihayafuru-esque hijinks to branch out and introduce more characters who are into shogi but closer to Rei in age. The science club people don't quite sell it to me.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I'm both very happy and conflicted about the second season already confirmed, since if it wasn't I was going to start reading the manga after S1, but if it's coming that soon maybe I'll just wait for it to air...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

What a nice surprise for the last episode of the season, I didn't expect them to cap it off with "Fighter"! It fits really well here, and foreshadows some awesome stuff coming up next season (assuming it's two cours again).

I can't wait to see my favorite story arcs animated. Shaft has been absurdly faithful to the source material, and that makes me very happy.

• Locked thread