Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Sucy is funny but kind of mean and predictable IMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Someone tried to do a season recap a few pages back and it didn't go anywhere, so let me try:

Everything is good.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

kater posted:

Someone tried to do a season recap a few pages back and it didn't go anywhere, so let me try:

Everything is good.

Even Chaos;Child? (Please say yes, I want to watch this when it's done.)

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Is elDLIVE any good?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

khy posted:

Is elDLIVE any good?

I think it's okay in a chuuni way, but didn't keep my attention.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

StrixNebulosa posted:

Even Chaos;Child? (Please say yes, I want to watch this when it's done.)

It's decent so far. It definitely manages to keep the tone chaos;head had of being generally unsettling, and it definitely has some tense moments, but the plot is executed a little awkwardly so far.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I'm only still watching Maid Dragon of the brand new shows.

Continuing KonoSuba, IBO and March Comes In.

Gabriel, Demi-chan, and Kemono are still in my queue but who knows if I'll ever start them up again.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Please finish likely* AOTY March comes in like a lion, a kitten.

*Rakguo S2 might give it a run for its money tho

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I adore March Etc, but I watch it slow because my heart can't take it.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

Please finish likely* AOTY March comes in like a lion, a kitten.

*Rakguo S2 might give it a run for its money tho

I plan on binging both when they finish because I just can't wait a week for each next episode.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Edit: Oops, this was meant to go in the chat thread.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Feb 28, 2017

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Oh hey, there's a raw out for the YUYUSHIKI OVA.

https://0x0.st/J40.webm
intended to loop

nielsm fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Feb 28, 2017

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
What a pleasant surprise The Dragon Dentist was

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

nielsm posted:

Oh hey, there's a raw out for the YUYUSHIKI OVA.

https://0x0.st/J40.webm
intended to loop

Want subs

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

ee ee ee ee

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
いいっいいっいいっいい

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

But really the additional Yuyushiki was good. Nothing groundbreaking maybe, though I liked the background trio of girls getting some additional attention. However one part that really surprised me was Yui near the end remarking to herself, how Yuzuko despite her silly behavior actually is both intelligent and diligent. It was never something I particularly noticed, but I suppose it's been true all along, and it's a nice departure from the usual character tropes.

I hope someone subs it soon so I can watch it again and get more of the puns.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

ok im doing it ok ok ok ok

really really good
rakugo and lwa

really good
konosuba, demi chan and gabriel drop out

good
maid dragon and masamune kun revenge show thing

tia for listening to me

also i started to watch gintama and its the funniest show ever

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

also i started to watch gintama and its the funniest show ever

Oh are you in for a wonderful ride.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

AnoHito posted:

Oh are you in for a wonderful ride.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I watched like 50-60 episodes of Gintama some years ago and the one thing that stood out to me was how inconsistent it is

Like you'll have dozens of episodes in a row where nothing funny happens or at least nothing to raise more than a smirk and then every once in a while they just knock it out of the loving park for 20 minutes at a time without a single miss

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
if there were a show that was Good Gintama all of the time it would be DMC-tier, but there isn't

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

if there were a show that was Good Gintama all of the time it would be DMC-tier, but there isn't

What's DMC here? I don't think you mean the Devil May Cry anime.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

uhhh i guess i'll see how easily amused i am

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I watched like 50-60 episodes of Gintama some years ago and the one thing that stood out to me was how inconsistent it is

Like you'll have dozens of episodes in a row where nothing funny happens or at least nothing to raise more than a smirk and then every once in a while they just knock it out of the loving park for 20 minutes at a time without a single miss

TBH, Gintama gets better the longer it goes on. First 100 or so eps are easily the worst, with a few gems here and there.

There Bias Two posted:

What's DMC here? I don't think you mean the Devil May Cry anime.

Detroit Metal City

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Truga posted:

TBH, Gintama gets better the longer it goes on. First 100 or so eps are easily the worst, with a few gems here and there.

That's a longer time investment to get to the good part than FF13.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
The bad parts of gintama are still pretty decent, they're just not as amazing.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Is there a good watch guide for Gintama so folks can skip the less great episodes?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

an actual dog posted:

Is there a good watch guide for Gintama so folks can skip the less great episodes?

resident gintama superfan Strange Quark keeps a list of recommended episodes here

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
I guess we're past the halfway point, so here's my take so far.

Best of the season, instant classics:
- March Comes in like a Lion
- Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju part 2

Good and worth watching:
- Little Witch Academia
- Maid Dragon

I can't stop watching this silly cute thing:
- Kemono Friends

If I get the time, I still want to check out ACCA and Saga of Tanya the Evil.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

If ACCA sticks the landing it's on my end of the year list for sure.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
yeah I started watching March Comes In Like A Lion and folks

sometimes the best anime of the year started last year

it owns

ACCA is def the other one i really wanna see outta this season

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Sure I'll do a recap:

AOTS Contender:
-Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid- Kyoani has by and large smashed my modest expectations for this adaptation, demonstrating an incredible mastery of tonal shifts between sweet family moments and absurdist SOL gags and dramatically improving on the original manga's artwork while still being instantly recognizable.

Fun, absolutely worth a look:
-Little Witch Academia - Fun, funny, very well animated, but after all the excitement I saw leading up to it, I'm a touch disappointed that I don't have more substantial compliments for it just yet. Still plenty of time, though.
-Dragon Ball Super (if it counts?) - It's Dragon Ball. It's doing Dragon Ball things - which is to say it's a drat riot. A little on the ugly side and a bit slow at times, but still. Modern day dragon ball.
-Gabriel Dropout - Fun, funny, pretty well animated. Not as deceptively strong as the last Dogakobo show I watched, but a highly entertaining and well executed comedy regardless. Hail Satan.

Pleasant, if a little underwhelming:
-BanG Dream - Sort of a K-On! does Love Live! situation. Certainly not as strong as K-On, but decidedly pleasant nonetheless. I like the writer a lot and the latest episode did a lot to make the cast more distinct to me, so I'm hopeful that this could sneak a little higher up the list.
-Kemono Friends - Ugly rear end animation, but deceptively charming and quirky SOL bits and weirdly compelling, subtle worldbuilding.

Dropped out of boredom:
-Urara Meirochou - It's kinda cute I guess but I wasn't really getting much out of it that GabDro or Bang Dream weren't doing better.

Things I'm watching and enjoying out of season:
-Katanagatari (would be in AOTS contender tier if released this season) - The writing is memorable and deceptively intelligent, the art style is distinct and appealing, the soundtrack is a real gem, and the overall production does a great job of balancing intense action, weird comedy, and genuine tragedy. Outside of a few overly-talky segments, Katanagatari has made very few missteps so far.
-Symphogear GX (would be in the Fun tier if released this season) - The pacing is all sorts of weird and has me pretty convinced that this won't be a favorite of mine like G was, but it's still recognizably Symphogear. The music's great, it's as well animated as any Symphogear stuff to date, the action is balls-to-the-wall, and even if I'm not totally sold on where they're taking the protagonists yet it still has a tremendously likable and charismatic set of leads.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Truga posted:

The bad parts of gintama are still pretty decent, they're just not as amazing.

Ya I agree and like other posters said it keeps getting better which is why its so beloved. I haven't watched since like episode 230 or something but I loved almost all of it and plan on watching it later.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
even otherwise tepid episodes of gintama sometimes have one or two amazing jokes. for example, gin's centaur costume absolutely cracks me up for some reason but it first appeared in an episode riddled with otsu, who is never funny at all.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
If this is the thing we're doing

~Best of the season~
Ai Mai Mi Surgical Friends - Hilarious.
Interview With Monster Girls - Really sweet and cute and funny. Just super well done characters who develop and have great dialogue with each other.

~Very good of the season~
Ms. Kobayashi's Dragon Maid - pretty much the same as the other Monster Girl anime this season. Great blend of characters and humor. It still has some not great bits of the source material clinging to it, but maybe those are just exaggerated by everyone talking about how gross the manga is.
Saga of Tanya the Evil - A great, unique main character, an incredibly well built world, great action, great faces.

~Good of the season~
Minami Kamakura High School Girls Cycling Club - Informative and realistic. Nobody is some bicycling genius, they just enjoy riding bikes and learning about bikes. The characters are a little stock, but they work

~OK of the season~
Yowamushi Pedal - I still like Yowapeda, but they're spending way too long on saying goodbye to third years. 8 episodes in and I think maybe they finally finished saying goodbye. If the next episode is still about how sad everyone is that they're leaving and how much the third years influenced their kohais, I'm gonna lose my poo poo. This season it also feels like they're kinda reaching to come up with new bicycling super powers.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
I can't watch any anime for a few weeks so hopefully these don't fall apart but my list:

Best:
Tanya the Evil: phenomenal main character with great scene chewing delivery, solid world building, consistently hilarious. Wish i could marathon this

Good poo poo:
Konosuba 2: less surprises than first season but they're able to keep running jokes consistently funny
Scum's Wish: bad choices, emotional manipulation, at least one outright sociopath. One of the few times a "romance" has been watchable for me but the show can be emotionally draining in a good way. Impressive production values
Little witch academia: beautiful animation, great gags, sucy

Probably check out when season over:
Maid dragon: watched 2 episodes and i have no idea what people see in this but everyone loves it so I'll probably give It another chance
ACCA: has potential, if people say it sticks the landing I'll watch it
Gabriel dropout: might be funny idk
March Comes in like a lion: watched a few, feel like i should be liking more than i did. Might give it a second chance

No: kemono friends, hand shakers

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Correct me if I'm wrong all, but I haven't seen demographics of Tanya, scum's wish, and Maid Dragon overlapping very much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Tanya's surprisingly good for yet another isekai, and I'm enjoying it, but it's no Maid Dragon.

ACCA's still the best of the season, though.

• Locked thread