Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
https://twitter.com/razzadoop/status/836802603614896129

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I've been spoiling myself on the armors and outfits and I'm glad of it

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I spent forever trying to perfect a boss because he one shots you... I didn't realize you could upgrade your armor.

Boss name spoiler: lightningblight or whatever, the gerudo one, is a total jerk.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
My refurbished Wii U shipped and estimated delivery date is Friday. It better get here Friday I don't want to be blueballed all weekend! :f5:

As for the game itself I'm just going to go with digital that way I don't have to worry about a slow rear end optical drive breaking because it's a refurbished system. If I buy it digitally from Amazon do they just email me a download code for the game?

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Can't wait till Friday, huh?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I like the idea of disposable weapons, hopefully Zelda can do a better job than Dead Rising at it.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I played a bit of this and as soon as I left the Plateau I sprinted straight to the castle to see if you actually can feasibly sneak in and fight the final boss right from the start.

you can, lots of sneaking and running away and clever climbing of terrain. I can't beat him but I have loads of good loot and rupees now

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I played a bit of this and as soon as I left the Plateau I sprinted straight to the castle to see if you actually can feasibly sneak in and fight the final boss right from the start.

you can, lots of sneaking and running away and clever climbing of terrain. I can't beat him but I have loads of good loot and rupees now

Does it trigger a cut scene?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

PerrineClostermann posted:

Does it trigger a cut scene?
kind of, what I actually fought was some weird thing I won't spoil that I assume is this game's (placement) equivalent of Puppet Ganon from Wind Waker. I got it down to half health but then I ran out of bomb arrows and going near it for melee got me rekd very quickly

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

from the other thread:

https://twitter.com/austin_walker/status/836635331139145732

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

It's like this guy never plays AAA games.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

What's crazy is that HZD inherits so much from Zelda, but the author seems to not be aware of that. It's one thing to be unaware of history, but the reviews he's complaining about so hard mention that it's got a load of Zelda DNA. What a weird message.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Zelda never innovates, see, all these other games that borrowed from it do those things too!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
This game I haven't played is objectively worse than this amazing game that came out the morning I wrote this email, HOW DARE U!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

im the part where shooting giant robot dinosaurs in a sci-fi future with a bow and arrow is mature and complex storytelling

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Famitsu awarded The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild the full 40 points in their review.

And the review embargo ends tomorrow.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Rexroom posted:

Famitsu awarded The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild the full 40 points in their review.

As if I wasn't already excited enough :f5:

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

It's "early": You find out about the mech beasts being created to stop Ganon as soon as you are capable of leaving the plateau. Not sure when they tell you that they're also the dungeons, but at that point you can probably guess if you've been following the rumor mill.

Good to know, thank you!

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Hurry up and give me a preload Nintendo so I can be mad it's on my console but locked.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Has anyone actually been charged for their pre-order yet? I figured I would have by now.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
This'll be my first Zelda! I'm very excited.

I'm somewhat lying. I played Oracle of Ages/Seasons way back when I was a kid, but I don't remember any of it.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

RCarr posted:

Has anyone actually been charged for their pre-order yet? I figured I would have by now.
Dunno about other store, but Amazon only charges once something actually ships, which is usually the day beforehand for release-date delivery.

Rookersh posted:

This'll be my first Zelda!
:stare:

Godspeed, dude.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

also I love and it feels very deliberate that after recent Zeldas all having, like, three-hour tutorials, the "tutorial" in BotW is five minutes of "here's the controls, here's some context in which to use them and get to grips with the main mechanics organically, now, there's Ganon floating about over there, go gently caress him up"

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
One quick, kind of spoilery question: there isn't a helper character in this game, is there? In the vein of Navi/Tatl/Ezlo/Midna/Fi where they're constantly with you. I imagine either that Old Man or Zelda communicate with you sporadically through magic or telepathy, but that's fine.

I just don't want a lot of hand-holding throughout the game. Also, does the game explain what a Rupee is every time you boot it up?

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Wolf Link is the only real helper character, and is optional through ownership of it's amiibo.

Wolf Link is a dog though, so it isn't going to talk to you.

Edit: Unrelated, but thinking about it, the Switch shirt that is part of the season pass isn't in the leaked assets of gear.

Crawfish fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Mar 1, 2017

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Crawfish posted:

Wolf Link is the only real helper character, and is optional through ownership of it's amiibo.

Wolf Link is a dog though, so it isn't going to talk to you.

Well yeah I mean, that would just be weird if you could talk to regular animals without being one yourself.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Rookersh posted:

This'll be my first Zelda! I'm very excited.

I'm somewhat lying. I played Oracle of Ages/Seasons way back when I was a kid, but I don't remember any of it.

Play A Link To the Past

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

Play OoT and MM

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Don't put that on me :argh:

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I just started playing Link's Awakening and I'm really impressed by how slick it is. I'm only just now up to Tail Cave, but I'm excited to see where it goes. The music and graphics are surprisingly great and there's a lot of character in the minimal dialogue. It feels so much like ALBW and LTTP, despite being a Gameboy game.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

well why not posted:

I just started playing Link's Awakening and I'm really impressed by how slick it is. I'm only just now up to Tail Cave, but I'm excited to see where it goes. The music and graphics are surprisingly great and there's a lot of character in the minimal dialogue. It feels so much like ALBW and LTTP, despite being a Gameboy game.

The music is fantastic too and I'm saddened more games haven't used music from it, like Taltal Heights and Ballad of the Wind Fish

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Soul Glo posted:

Play Zelda

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

RCarr posted:

yep yesterday from shopto in uk, both game and switch. i got an email saying my tracking code would not go live until tomorrow so i guess im not getting them a day early like i had hoped.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Keiya posted:

Zelda never innovates, see, all these other games that borrowed from it do those things too!

I played HZD for four hours yesterday and it inherited my favorite aspect of Skyward Sword: a four hour tutorial with way too many cutscenes!

Seriously that game has everything I hate about most AAA games but the actual gameplay is very good so it should keep me occupied until Friday.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So you get your shield and stalfos arm and pants and get past the equivalent of the prologue. North, South, East, or West?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Calaveron posted:

The music is fantastic too and I'm saddened more games haven't used music from it, like Taltal Heights and Ballad of the Wind Fish
ah, hm, if only...

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Calaveron posted:

So you get your shield and stalfos arm and pants and get past the equivalent of the prologue. North, South, East, or West?

Go left

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Rexroom posted:

This brought a smile to my face. I'm old enough to remember when Famitsu was considered the be all, end all, difficult reviewer and influencer magazine. Vagrant Story getting a perfect score was a big deal. That game never clicked with me but whatever.

Also I've been pretty good with spoilers and have no idea where anything is other than Hyrule Castle and I'm all in on going east first.

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
I'm gonna head to Death Mountain and hang out with my Goron pals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
I'mma go in the house, take the sword, pull up the rug, go down the trap door and KILL THE MAN :black101: