Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I would like to take a crack at king cake this year. Anyone have a good recipe??

This is Emeril's.

http://www.gumbopages.com/food/dessert/king-cake.html

I don't really have a great one on tap, my family always just made a sort of brioche / cinnamon roll and snaked that out then turned it into a ring.

I've had them done a lot of different ways, basically its just a big sweet yeast bread and you dress it up with a glaze and the colored sugar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

That Works posted:

This is Emeril's.

http://www.gumbopages.com/food/dessert/king-cake.html

I don't really have a great one on tap, my family always just made a sort of brioche / cinnamon roll and snaked that out then turned it into a ring.

I've had them done a lot of different ways, basically its just a big sweet yeast bread and you dress it up with a glaze and the colored sugar.

awesome, thank you!

GEEKABALL
May 30, 2011

Throw out your hands!!
Stick out your tush!!
Hands on your hips
Give them a push!!
Fun Shoe

neogeo0823 posted:

Woah, woah, woah. What? There's a cajun roast beef, now? You local goons best start spilling recipes now, because this sounds like it combines two of my favorite things to splurge on into one dish.

Daube.txt

● 3 lbs rump roast
● 5 garlic cloves, 2 slivered and 3 minced
● salt, pepper, Creole seasoning
● 2 tablespoons olive oil
● 1 large onion, chopped
● 1 bell pepper, chopped
● 2 celery ribs, chopped
● 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
● 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
● 1 cup red wine
● 1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
● 1 tablespoon italian seasoning I (used bouquet garni)
● 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne (more like ⅛)
● 1 pinch sugar
● 2 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped (I added chopped
green onion or chives)
DIRECTIONS
1. With sharp knife or ice pick, punch holes in the roast, about 2 inches
apart, and stuff with slivers of garlic.
2. Rub roast generously with salt, pepper, and Creole seasoning.
3. Heat oil in a heavy pot or Dutch oven, and brown roast well on all
sides over medium-high heat.
4. When browned, take roast out of pot and set aside.
5. In the same oil, saute onion, bell pepper, and celery over medium
heat until soft, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. Add minced garlic and cook 5 more minutes.
7. Add tomato paste and cook, stirring frequently, almost until it begins
to brown, about 10 minutes.
8. Add tomato sauce and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally,
for about 5 minutes.
9. Add wine, beef broth, Italian seasoning, cayenne, salt if needed, and
sugar, and stir well.
10. Return roast to pot, fat side up, turn fire to low, cover and simmer
for 4 hours until roast is very tender.
11. Stir well every hour and turn roast over half way through cooking.
12. Slice roast thickly and return to sauce.
13. Sprinkle with parsley and serve with spaghetti (or pasta of your
choice).

I guess this is (italian) cajun roast. I had it once at Mandinas and it knocked my socks off. I found this recipe somewhere on the internet.
I made this and Mrs. Geek talked about it for days. It was very good

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

GEEKABALL posted:

Daube.txt

● 3 lbs rump roast
● 1 large onion, chopped
● 1 bell pepper, chopped
● 2 celery ribs, chopped
● 1 cup red wine
● 1 pinch sugar
green onion or chives)
DIRECTIONS
for about 5 minutes.
sugar, and stir well.
choice).

I guess this is (italian) cajun roast. I had it once at Mandinas and it knocked my socks off. I found this recipe somewhere on the internet.

Goddamn I'm going to try this out soon.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

GEEKABALL posted:

Daube.txt

● 3 lbs rump roast
● 1 large onion, chopped
● 1 bell pepper, chopped
● 2 celery ribs, chopped
● 1 cup red wine
● 1 pinch sugar
green onion or chives)
DIRECTIONS
for about 5 minutes.
sugar, and stir well.
choice).

Just got back from grocery store with the goods. Pics incoming in 4 to 5 hours...

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Awwwwwww yiss.....

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Gonna make that roast once I get the ingredients too :chef:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

poemdexter posted:

Awwwwwww yiss.....

Dude.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

I know, right? The only modification I would make is probably trimming away the fat and letting it cook fully submerged for maybe an extra 30 minutes to an hour. Roast likes to dry out crazy fast.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I want to pickle me some pork for red beans this weekend, I see two methods, one just distilled white vinegar and the other has apple cider and water. What's better?

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I want to pickle me some pork for red beans this weekend, I see two methods, one just distilled white vinegar and the other has apple cider and water. What's better?

Solution: Buy two jars.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I'm not making two batches so it'll ultimately be mixed and I wouldn't be able to tell regardless.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

if you're looking at the two top hits on google, alton brown & nola cuisine, also observe the difference in how much salt they use. The 100% white vinegar one is doing all it's work with the vinegar. The alton brown one is a more traditional salt pickling, with 1/4 cup salt in less liquid / a smaller batch of meat.

I think which one depends on whether you like salt or vinegar. The salt pickle is probably safer. Modern meat is different than what they got in 1900, it's got more water in it. I'd be a bit leery of relying on pure vinegar: standard 5% acidity vinegar is just barely enough to inhibit bacteria, but as water leaches out from the meat that concentration will dip.

But if you're putting fresh pork in the pickle today and using it on saturday, safety isn't as huge of a concern -- the pork would have been fine with no preservatives. The vinegar one feels like it'd be faster at changing the pork from raw to "preserved". Acid attacks protein and kinda cooks it.

If you use the alton brown one make sure you use kosher / pickling salt, not iodized table salt.

From a cool old 1970s book I have about canning, pickling, and preserving, Putting Food By:

quote:

Have the mean thoroughly chilled, and hold it as closely as possible to 38F during the process of curing: salt penetrates less well in tissues below 36F, and spoilage occurs with increasing speed in meat at temperatures above 38F.
(though they're talking about pickling an entire ham, it's still important that both meat and brine is cold at the start)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Poemdexter's pics looked way too good, so I'm gonna Do the Daube this weekend.

I got some shoulder chuck rather than rump after poem saying that trimming the fat off would have been a good change. Shoulder is tougher so it may need more cook time, but that's ok. I'm also thinking about including a light roux in the mix like this recipe does.

My one problem: I don't have a proper cast iron dutch oven or stovetop-safe casserole.
What I have for options:
- use the same heavy weight steel stockpot that I use for most everything else
- do the first part on the stovetop, transfer everything to a standard ceramic casserole and finish in the oven
- possibly borrow an electric crockpot from a friend, if they still have it?
- make a trip to buy the right thing

What do people think?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Klyith posted:

Poemdexter's pics looked way too good, so I'm gonna Do the Daube this weekend.

I got some shoulder chuck rather than rump after poem saying that trimming the fat off would have been a good change. Shoulder is tougher so it may need more cook time, but that's ok. I'm also thinking about including a light roux in the mix like this recipe does.

My one problem: I don't have a proper cast iron dutch oven or stovetop-safe casserole.
What I have for options:
- use the same heavy weight steel stockpot that I use for most everything else
- do the first part on the stovetop, transfer everything to a standard ceramic casserole and finish in the oven
- possibly borrow an electric crockpot from a friend, if they still have it?
- make a trip to buy the right thing

What do people think?

Any of the above. Coonass make do.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Any of the above. Coonass make do.

yeah I would do any of these except putting it in your crockpot

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
DAUBE ON 'EM

Chuck roast before cooking, I think shoulder is the way to go. Less fat on it, and the fact that it's not a single piece doesn't matter for this use. Cut off the string it comes held together with and just have a couple big chunks. Just more surface area for spices & stuffing garlic into!

No in-progress pics cause I can't multitask for poo poo while cooking. But I did do a roux. My process was: brown meat in 1/3c of oil, then just take the meat out and add the flour to the same already hot oil. I was a bit worried because browning the meat leaves stuff stuck to my stainless pot, and everyone always says your roux is dead if there's black stuff. But it seems that burnt meat bits don't interfere with the process. After that, put veg in to stop the roux, saute, added some stock canned tomato and paste, meat back in and put it in the oven. Oven was pre-heated to 300 but immediately turned down to 275. 4 hours, turned the meat over once to keep it even.

Anyways,

oh yes

keep going

:vince:

Thanks GEEKABALL for the recipe and poemdexter for the first report!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

This is awesome. I'm gonna have to do one of these soon.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I bet that was pretty tasty...

After we left the last parade yesterday we decided on a whim to boil some crawfish. Crawfish Boil Rules #19 and #7: Mardi Gras afternoon might not be the best day for an impromptu boil; and Do not assume that just because you have 3 propane tanks, one of them will be full.

But we made it happen, found a place that was: (a) open, (b) not all out of pane, and (c) not blocked by parades, and got some pretty big crawfish for February. It was a great way to end carnival.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

That Works posted:

This is awesome. I'm gonna have to do one of these soon.

The main thing I learned for next time is that the roast has a *ton* of water in it that comes out as it's cooking. Despite the fact that I used a roux, my sauce ended up a bit soupy because I added liquids for what felt like the right balance at the start.

(also next time I will get a slightly larger cut of roast, this one was just under 3 lbs and ended up a bit small.)

Phil Moscowitz posted:

evidence of warcrimes

I am a UN inspector and I will need to come to your house to investigate very serious reports of mass killings. Please do not tamper with the evidence seen in these photos before my plane arrives.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Phil Moscowitz posted:

After we left the last parade yesterday we decided on a whim to boil some crawfish. Crawfish Boil Rules #19 and #7: Mardi Gras afternoon might not be the best day for an impromptu boil; and Do not assume that just because you have 3 propane tanks, one of them will be full.

But we made it happen, found a place that was: (a) open, (b) not all out of pane, and (c) not blocked by parades, and got some pretty big crawfish for February. It was a great way to end carnival.

[/drool]

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

For those that ain't seen it yet, maybe the most Louisiana thing I've ever come across

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Phil Moscowitz posted:

For those that ain't seen it yet, maybe the most Louisiana thing I've ever come across

That's awesome

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Well poo poo, look at the size of that gem I coerced from the rocks. I'm buying the stuff to do this later on in the week as i type this. What Creole seasoning mix do you guys use? I mixed up a recipe i found online back last year, but failed to take into account the fact that it's like 50% cayenne pepper, and so it's all spice and nothing else. Can I get away with store bought mix, or is there a special blend you guys recommend?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

neogeo0823 posted:

Well poo poo, look at the size of that gem I coerced from the rocks. I'm buying the stuff to do this later on in the week as i type this. What Creole seasoning mix do you guys use? I mixed up a recipe i found online back last year, but failed to take into account the fact that it's like 50% cayenne pepper, and so it's all spice and nothing else. Can I get away with store bought mix, or is there a special blend you guys recommend?

Check the end of the 1st post in the OP. If you don't want to make your own, Tony's is a solid choice. Otherwise Phil has a recipe he uses I linked there. I used to only use Tony's now I only make my own just kinda by eye / taste.

onemanlan
Oct 4, 2006

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I want to be you in those pictures. Lucky for me there is a guy here in Birmingham, AL who makes bi-weekly trips to Louisiana and runs a crawfish food truck. Great prices too since it's his mainstay. Red Mountain Crawfish has been my pipeline for crawfish over the last 2 years and I hope it never stops.

The truck sells both live and boiled(pictured). I've done live a few times myself, but it's hard to compete with his personal boil spice along with the good set up at a local brewery. Can't wait to get more, pick meat, suck heads, save shells for a baller stock. Then make gumbo or etouffee from it all : )

onemanlan fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 5, 2017

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

neogeo0823 posted:

I'm not actually a good source as a New Yorker, but I like to cook cajun/creole from time to time and don't like to buy packaged mixes since I have a ton of spices already. I settled on this, based on cobbling a bunch of poo poo off the internet together and simplifying it (and not using any salt since I like to salt separately):

3 parts hot paprika (it should be hot paprika, if you use sweet, toss in some cayenne. I usually use Spanish smoked paprika because I'm addicted to it, but Hungarian is probably more typical)
3 parts garlic powder (or a split between garlic and onion powders)
2 parts dried oregano
2 parts dried thyme
1 part ground black pepper
1 part celery seed (not celery salt, that 100% celery poo poo)

It works well for me, but I'd love any comments from actual cajuns or New Orleanians if it's all wrong. (Just noticed the one in the OP has allspice also, I should try that...)

Scythe fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Mar 6, 2017

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

It turned out I had a can of Tony's in the pantry, probably from the last time I made anything creole/cajun and ran into the same issue. That's gonna go in this thing for now, till I get a bit more money and room for yet another container of yet another spice mix. I really need to get on making that spice rack I've been talking about for the last couple of years.

In other news, I wanna thank this thread again, because while I was browsing through it earlier today, I happened to find a recipe link for white beans and rice, which I'm making as I type this for work lunches for this upcoming week.

Also, I do want to say that after I originally made the post asking for cajun roast beef recipes, I did end up making an actual hunk of cajun spiced roast beef. Literally just like you'd make any other roast beef, just dry rubbed with my spicy hell rub, left to sit overnight in the fridge, then roasted the next day, wrapped in foil and sat in the fridge over night again, then sliced as thin as I could manage while cold. The pan drippings were saved and added to more beef stock base and worcestershire sauce to make au jus. The slices were warmed up in a double boiler cobbled together from a pan and a large bowl, so as to not cook the beef further, which was then served on a soft sub roll with slivered onions and provolone, and french dipped in the jus. No pictures, sadly, as I was in a complete and total state of seasoned beef euphoria and was far far too high on it to reach down and get the camera.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Scythe posted:

I'm not actually a good source as a New Yorker, but I like to cook cajun/creole from time to time and don't like to buy packaged mixes since I have a ton of spices already. I settled on this, based on cobbling a bunch of poo poo off the internet together and simplifying it (and not using any salt since I like to salt separately):

3 parts hot paprika (it should be hot paprika, if you use sweet, toss in some cayenne. I usually use Spanish smoked paprika because I'm addicted to it, but Hungarian is probably more typical)
3 parts garlic powder (or a split between garlic and onion powders)
2 parts dried oregano
2 parts dried thyme
1 part ground black pepper
1 part celery seed (not celery salt, that 100% celery poo poo)

It works well for me, but I'd love any comments from actual cajuns or New Orleanians if it's all wrong. (Just noticed the one in the OP has allspice also, I should try that...)

This isn't a bad place to start from, definitely you'll want the cayenne in there, just use less of it if spicy isn't your thing.

I used to just use Tony's, then I went through a phase of making my own spice mix, now I just add in spices as needed at appropriate cooking times. (doesn't apply to needing a spice rub)

Like, if I am going to have paprika or cumin in there, that's going in when I have hot oil in the pan just before I throw in any veggies to cool it down some. If I have fresh herbs, then I'd leave out the dried thyme and/or oregano. If not, then I'd use the dry stuff a little early on and add a few dashes more during my final cooking time. I usually add some salt in whenever I add onions to encourage them to sweat out liquid more and then cayenne and black pepper go in before I add in any cooking liquid and I add in a little more to taste as things come together / possibly add a little more salt on before serving.

Honestly it all works out fine no matter what you do, I just prefer to add things in when I want at different stages mostly through techniques I've learned cooking other types of foods (ie adding in cumin and paprika to hot oil like indian food) as that gives sometimes a nice bump in flavor and also allows me a little more control over the overall spicyness vs salt profile of the dish. A can of Tony's isn't a bad place to start with if you're not sure and you'll end up probably working out on your own how and what to add as you make the dish more than once.

Again, my biggest piece of advice to anyone doing a good gumbo, etoufee or jambalaya especially is to make your own stock. No other single change to the recipe has given me such a nice improvement in the end product.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Tonight's Daube night. I just got it into the oven. Pics will be forthcoming when I have some after-shots of the event. I followed the recipe, but also followed Klyith's example and added a roux to the dish. Sadly, I did not get progress shots of the roux either. I started it and then suddenly had an "ohshititsdone!" moment and threw the veggies in. Overall, I got it to about a... well, I don't have a color to describe it, but just a bit past medium before throwing in the veg. It's a good thing I didn't go darker though, because the roux continued to darken after the veggies were added, and all the way till I added the tomato sauce. I'm actually really sad that I don't have anywhere else to go today, because it's gonna be torture not opening the oven for the next 4 hours.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
What's the most cajun/creole thing to do with cabbages, other than throw them at people from a float? I'm up to three heads so far....

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Dinner's been and gone. The entire afternoon, I had to resist the temptation to open the oven and begin guzzling sauce.

rubbed down and ready to go.

Oh... Oh, my.

Oh, my!

:stwoon:.

Oooooooooooooh shhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Hhhhhhnnnnnnnggggggg!

I would've sliced it thinner, but it was so tender and falling apart so easily that chunking it like that worked just fine. My only regret is that I didn't make twice as much so I can have it all week.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

ulmont posted:

What's the most cajun/creole thing to do with cabbages, other than throw them at people from a float? I'm up to three heads so far....

Use it as a bed for your other food and then throw it away because it is cabbage.

I often do a shredded sautéed cabbage with blackened fish. Consider making some into a soup or stew. Google for something that looks good to you.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

ulmont posted:

Cook it with some top ramen and a couple carrots, maybe a moon pie

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Cook it with some top ramen and a couple carrots, maybe a moon pie

Fair enough; I got most of that as well.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Decided to make some Red Beans and Rice . From the south originally and now live in Chicago so it's kind of a trek to get some of the ingredients but totally worth it.

This is it cooking up

Finished Cooking

And Plated

How to make awesome Red Beans and Rice

Ingredients

Large Bell Pepper
Medium White Onion
3 Stalks of Celery
4 Cloves of Garlic
1 lb of Andouille Sausage
2 Medium Size Smoked Ham Hocks
1 Can of Chicken Broth
1 lb Red Kidney Beans
Pepper
Tony's Creole Seasoning
Rice

Thats it !

Step 1
Soak Kidney Beans minimum 12 hours ( I soaked for like 36 because I got busy over the weekend)

Step 2
Chop all the vegetables and Andouille Up

Step 3
Put all that in a pot with a bit of Butter
Cook until you see the "seasoning" of the Andouille coming out and the vegetables are softened

Step 4
Put in your Ham Hocks , take off the skin first. Cut off any meat that you can chop that up stick in there
Add some Pepper and Creole Seasoning at this point

Step 5
Put in the beans and add the chicken stock , then water until the water just covers the beans. Cook for about 45 minutes until the beans are soft. Stir during this time making sure nothing sticks to bottom.

Step 6 IMPORTANT PART

Remove about a bowls worth of beans, take out any meat in it, then take a potato masher and just go to town on those beans until it is basically a paste

Step 7
Put that paste back in with the rest of the whole beans stirring it occassionally on simmer. This is what makes it "creamy". Optionally at this step you could at a little bit of butter to that mash, but it's not super necessary.

Step 8
Make Rice while beans simmer

Step 9
Plate and serve with option topping of green onion and a side of cornbread

You will notice there is no ADD SALT and PEPPER . That's because all that stuff the Creole Season, Andouille, and Ham Hocks are pretty salty. If you add salt your gonna get really salty beans. So go easy on the Seasoning cause all the flavor is in the veggies/ sausage / ham hock. You actually don't really even have to season it that much.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Mar 19, 2017

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Quick question: At what point during a gumbo's cook time should I add 4 lbs of shrimp (shut up, I like shrimp okay! :mad:) if I don't want the shrimp to end up overcooked and lovely? Also at what time should I take the gumbo off the heat? Assume I'm using Fuckabees's recipe on the first page in all other aspects because that's what I'm using.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Quick question: At what point during a gumbo's cook time should I add 4 lbs of shrimp (shut up, I like shrimp okay! :mad:) if I don't want the shrimp to end up overcooked and lovely? Also at what time should I take the gumbo off the heat? Assume I'm using Fuckabees's recipe on the first page in all other aspects because that's what I'm using.

I add shrimp just at the end. As far as boil time I let mine simmer for at least an hour after bringing it up to a rolling boil when the stock goes in then turn the heat down. After an hour I taste and season. If using shrimp I just toss them in and stir a bit then cut the heat off. The residual heat will cook the shrimp. After letting it sit with the heat off for 10 mins or so stir again and test one to see if its good and then maybe check your salt / cayenne etc and see if its where you want it. If I was adding in fresh parsley and green onion it would go in at that point.

holttho
May 21, 2007

4-5 quarts of gumbo at a simmer has enough heat in it to fully cook a good 2lbs of 41-50 shrimp (somewhere between fridge an room temp) even after the heat has been killed. That volume with 4lbs and I'd leave the heat on for just a few minutes tops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I actually screwed up in that post. I meant to sat 6 lbs of shrimp. :doh:

I'm making the stock right now. I combined 2 lbs each of frozen seasoned cooked crawfish and fresh shell-on shrimp with red bell pepper, a diced yellow onion, and a SHITLOAD of garlic cloves (at least 3 bulbs worth, seriously, I love me some garlic), then added a little over 7 quarts of water. It's sitting on low heat now.

About how long should I let the stock slow-cook for before I take it off the heat? I was thinking about 3 hours or so, but I could go longer.