Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aloofa
Apr 24, 2010
Really enjoying his game. It's the first game in awhile that I could have easily played until 6 in the morning. Going to be a long day at work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

This is why you should play on Very Hard:

I decided that I was simply too good at Horizon Zero Dawn and that I'd try to take on a corruption zone that was at least 5 recommended levels ahead of where I was at the time. Well after about an hour of getting my rear end handed to me I figured that a more methodical approach might be better and crafted a full complement of traps and bombs. I worked my way around the periphery picking off the Chargers one by one, until there were only a few left with the big flamebreather dude in the middle. A couple of the Chargers spotted me and I retreated, directly INTO a Sawtooth patrol, so now I had both on me at the same time and was frantically laying down shock wire with my Tripcaster all over the place. I got a good stun on one of the shock traps and took down some Chargers with the sling, all the while down to my final sliver of health and clenching balls every time the Sawtooth revved up an attack. Finally the only enemy left in the CZ was the flamebreather at half health, by which point I was totally out of ammo and crafting materials. All I had left was the shock wire, which I managed to get off and frantically beat him to death with my spear.

Anyway, this game owns.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yodzilla posted:

Yeah she's become super high profile recently. Gearbox's writers were her problem, not her acting ability. Battleborn was full of the exact same trash.

She was really good in Life is Strange, too.

exquisite tea posted:

This is why you should play on Very Hard:

I started on Hard but I'm going to turn it up. Turns out the game is really generous with healing, especially if (like I did) you beeline for the Herbalist skill. I have the capacity for four full health bars of medicine on top of a pile of instant healing potions that I barely have to touch, so I think turning it up to Very Hard is probably a good idea.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Do you get the sling and ropecaster for free from a story quest later on? I bought them off a merchant but the tutorial says recommended level 18

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I love the names they give to the ancient stuff, it's brilliant.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Awesome! posted:

no camera speed is weird. i am guessing the game cant handle it spinning too fast.

Did you just come from playing Nioh? It felt super weird to me at first but I stopped noticing after an hour. HZD felt like the camera was in slo mo

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I wish I could just choose which side of the screen Aloy is on. It seems to default to the left when you're aiming, which is good, but the way it switches as you're running around is kind of disorienting.

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

I love the names they give to the ancient stuff, it's brilliant.

My favorite part so far was when Teersa hears the computer talking about data corruption and dives right into "Aloy must heal ~The Corruption~" like it's a mystical phenomenon and I love it.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Harrow posted:

My favorite part so far was when Teersa hears the computer talking about data corruption and dives right into "Aloy must heal ~The Corruption~" like it's a mystical phenomenon and I love it.

Yeah I like that they drop that bomb pretty early on, it makes investigating it really interesting. I didn't expect to enjoy the story as much as I have so far.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

I like the fact that Aloy "kinda" gets it because she's had the Focus most of her life. Everyone else after the first Corrupter fight is all freaking out and she's just digging in its guts trying to figure out how it works.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Harrow posted:

The impression I get is that Aloy can probably decipher more of the old writings having grown up with the Focus all her life, but can't get everything, either. So when you're viewing all the codex entries it's what you the player can read, and to Aloy it's still mostly gibberish.

Harrow posted:

She was really good in Life is Strange, too.

You know Horizon was announced just shortly after Life is Strange became a thing, I wonder how much of her casting was the voice director thinking "okay, we need a defiant, headstrong teenager with abandonment issues and a penchant for resolving conflicts violently."

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

Yeah I like that they drop that bomb pretty early on, it makes investigating it really interesting. I didn't expect to enjoy the story as much as I have so far.

I agree with whoever said it's like an interactive dystopian YA novel and that's not a bad thing, either. It helps that this kind of setting is easily my favorite type of post-apocalyptic. I'm a sucker for overgrown, verdant post-apocalypses, like in Hyper Light Drifter.

exquisite tea posted:

The impression I get is that Aloy can probably decipher more of the old writings having grown up with the Focus all her life, but can't get everything, either. So when you're viewing all the codex entries it's what you the player can read, and to Aloy it's still mostly gibberish.

Yeah, that makes sense. Like I think Aloy has a much better idea than the others as to what kinds of things they're actually talking about, but she doesn't have the player's point-of-view, where we natively understand all this technological terminology. For example, Teersa refers to the computer voice as "All-Mother" and "she," but Aloy says "it," because she can see that it's a machine and not a goddess.

I also love how reasonable Teersa is so far. When Aloy tells her that the ruin of the Metal World she went to as a child looked a lot like "All-Mother," at first Teersa's all, "But that's impossible!", and then it turns out she trusts Aloy's experience enough that she goes, "Well, maybe there are a lot of things I don't understand."

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Teersa is alright in my book.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Building on this discussion with actual gameplay.

Sneak into a bandit camp and call Robo-Roach. He'll stomp in and everyone will freak the gently caress out trying to kill him without alerting you.

Edit: Doesn't alert passive Watchers nearby when you gallop past either. Think they see the Robo and ignore it.

Edit: VVV Maybe I just haven't seen it. Been able to run by a her with Watchers without pulling aggro every time.

Retro42 fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Mar 1, 2017

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Retro42 posted:

Building on this discussion with actual gameplay.

Sneak into a bandit camp and call Robo-Roach. He'll stomp in and everyone will freak the gently caress out trying to kill him without alerting you.

Edit: Doesn't alert passive Watchers nearby when you gallop past either. Think they see the Robo and ignore it.

Uh, unless it's dependant on difficulty settings, watchers will absolutely aggro on you while you are on a mount.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

If you were going fast you might have gotten far enough away before it changed from alerted to aggressive.

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

i hate when games give me choices on what to unlock with skill points. I never know what to do. is there a reccomended path?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

i hate when games give me choices on what to unlock with skill points. I never know what to do. is there a reccomended path?

The game literally came out 24 hours ago and you'll have mostly everything unlocked by the end of it. Just go nuts.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Max out Concentration (slow time when you aim the bow) first.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

About 3 hours in (just got to the Nora Village) and I spent a huge amount of time just tooling around in the world. I feel like so many parts of this game (Ubisoft design-esque, generic 'outcast accepted back in plot', post-post apocalypse setting, robot dinosaurs) that should, at face value, be terrible, but the sum of its parts has gotten me hooked.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Grab Silent Strike, Lure Call, and then max out Concentration. If you're taking damage often, you should grab Healer and Herbalist, too. Healer isn't that useful, but Herbalist doubles the capacity of your medicine pouch, so you go from being able to store two full health bars worth of medicine to storing four full health bars worth of medicine.

Unless you rush through and skip lots of opportunities for XP you'll have just about everything unlocked eventually, though. This isn't an RPG with a "build," just one where you prioritize what you want early and what you want later.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Do I have to keep tapping X to maintain full speed on my mount?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Prioritize getting the increase item/harvesting, concentration and multi-arrow bonuses.

omg chael crash posted:

Do I have to keep tapping X to maintain full speed on my mount?

No, it should just keep galloping unless it hits something that slows it down.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I've been putting a lot more points into melee skills than I thought I would because ammo is precious on VH and between Silent Strike + Aloy's takedown you can put a lot of hurt on a robot before it gets the chance to retaliate without having to waste arrows.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Paul Zuvella posted:

About 3 hours in (just got to the Nora Village) and I spent a huge amount of time just tooling around in the world. I feel like so many parts of this game (Ubisoft design-esque, generic 'outcast accepted back in plot', post-post apocalypse setting, robot dinosaurs) that should, at face value, be terrible, but the sum of its parts has gotten me hooked.

I think it's just solid storytelling that makes those clunky elements fit together well. Like the outsider part, they keep alluding to a broader narrative around that and were pointing out early on that you had the option to try for proving as a brave because it wasn't your fault you were shunned. Robot dinos are seeming more like a case of tech gone wild and People hosed Up, etc.

Also if anyone chose to throw the rock back at the kid's head early on, let me know how it affects his interaction with you in the bunkhouse. I picked the drop the rock option and I'd like to know if throwing the rock at his head made him a little more considerate later on.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

It's been a long time since I've been able to sit and play a game for 5 solid hours.

This game is loving gorgeous and fun as hell.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I just looked into the feminism aspect of the game's reception (because so far it's been noticeably short on spandex, skin, and stone jawed hero dudes) and holy moly I almost want to buy two copies out of spite. There are some incredibly terrible people incredibly angry about it.

As for the combat, I like the way it makes you have to actually hit the robots' headlights to score a headshot. Like if it was just "hit the head from any angle" it would be easy as hell but you basically need to call attention to yourself (throwing a rock/whistling at the robot cow/raptor for example) to get a good opportunity. You can use concentration to make use of passing glances but that directional dimension really adds some neat tension to fights.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Mar 1, 2017

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

FAUXTON posted:

I just looked into the feminism aspect of the game's reception (because so far it's been noticeably short on spandex, skin, and stone jawed hero dudes) and holy moly I almost want to buy two copies out of spite. There are some incredibly terrible people incredibly angry about it.

Nerds are mad that the main character of a game is a female, more news at 11.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

FAUXTON posted:

Also if anyone chose to throw the rock back at the kid's head early on, let me know how it affects his interaction with you in the bunkhouse. I picked the drop the rock option and I'd like to know if throwing the rock at his head made him a little more considerate later on.

A different one than you picked: I knocked the rock out of his hands and Aloy taunted him about it and said that he probably leaves that out of his story, he was still a massive dick though.

I feel sorry for all the haters (and people who don't have a PS4) cause they are missing a fantastic game.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

FAUXTON posted:

They are mad she's competent and clothed?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Paul Zuvella posted:

Nerds are mad that the main character of a game is a female, more news at 11.

They're also mad because there's so much ~*~forced diversity~*~ which is extra funny because that's actually a plot point.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The chain of logic goes something like "why do they have to be so IN MY FACE feminist by having a female protagonist, especially one who isn't even that hot."

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Like if you hate women maybe don't buy games with them on the cover? Idk though not really a point of view I can relate to.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

gently caress I hate cars so muchhhhhhhh *buys drive club

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

The chain of logic goes something like "why do they have to be so IN MY FACE feminist by having a female protagonist, especially one who isn't even that hot."

But everyone in this game is attractive. This isn't the Witcher, where it's poverty simulator 3000, everyone in this game looks put together and clean as all hell. It's actually the thing that's bothered me the most about the game so far. People should be way grodier and hosed up from years of battling robot dinosaurs.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Norns posted:

They are mad she's competent and clothed?

Eh there's a lot more to it, one of the larger emotional interests early on turned out to be a tailor because he wasn't cut out for fighting. Society is heavily matriarchal down to the religion, most of the assholes in the story are guys, but the main friction between Aloy and the Nora isn't "hurr you're a girl" but "hurr you're an outcast" and there's been absolutely zero cheesecake bullshit going on. Like you can even see where it WOULD come up but doesn't (e.g. the part after the ambush and you wake up in the mountain, you're definitely vulnerable but you still have a full set of clothes on instead of hobbling around in underwear, they don't conflate vulnerability with personal exposure)

Basically there's a lot of places where the story chooses not to use stylistic quasi-or-outwardly sexist crutches and is all the better for it. The outcast thing is the main example I can think of a few hours in, they could just drive that friction along gender lines but they don't and instead use it to drive the story real good in the first act.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

the only people legit mad at playing a female protagonist in a game are brokenbrained nitwits. it's 2017 and it's so loving common how can you even get mad at it.

How cool is the weapon and tool diversity? does it just boil down to bows and spears, or do you get poo poo like grappling hooks, swords, shields, and jetpacks or whatever? I don't know much about the toolset or equipment in the game aside from those basic 2 weapons.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MinibarMatchman posted:

the only people legit mad at playing a female protagonist in a game are brokenbrained nitwits. it's 2017 and it's so loving common how can you even get mad at it.

How cool is the weapon and tool diversity? does it just boil down to bows and spears, or do you get poo poo like grappling hooks, swords, shields, and jetpacks or whatever? I don't know much about the toolset or equipment in the game aside from those basic 2 weapons.

It mostly boils down to different kind of bows and spears though you do get specialized items like a rope-gun to tie enemies down or one that plants traps.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah, the weapons basically come down to which delivery mode you prefer for the status effects you want to inflict. Right now I keep two sets of bows for fire/tear arrows, the fire sling, and the shock trapcaster. Switch out for a ropecaster on the boss bots.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

MinibarMatchman posted:

In a sentence, it isn't so much the fact that the protagonist is a lady, it's also that you don't see her bellybutton. POSSIBLY BECAUSE SHE'S A CLONE AND AIN'T GOT ONE? FIND OUT BEHIND DOOR #1

You have a spear that can be upgraded/rigged, same for weapons but they're in general primitive bow/slingshot/snare stuff. There's definitely at least one proper gun but I'm thinking guns are more short-term power multipliers than long term carry weapons.

If you liked the Tomb Raider remake's approach to weapon progression then you won't have any problem at all with this game's take on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

MinibarMatchman posted:

You get the primitive equivalent of a sniper rifle, grenade launcher, shotgun, and tripmines. You can use whatever you want from a very early point as far as I can tell (I just got out of the intro chapter into the larger world, and it's all available to me).