Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

sleepy.eyes posted:

Being pulled over for completing an overtake as quickly as you can is some weapons-grade BS.

I was told in driving school to do it as quickly as possible. There should probably be some clarification.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

It depends on the state, but many states allow for exceeding the speed limit when passing on a 2 lane road.

Passing lanes of course don't apply, which is stupid.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

The Locator posted:

I happen to know this from personal experience. I wasn't even going all that fast, but the oncoming headlights happened to be attached to a Montana State trooper car.

I was in a similar situation. Ended up getting tagged at 70 in a 55 on a long straight because I wanted to pass a truck before we got into the curvy mountain roads.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Deeters posted:

I was in a similar situation. Ended up getting tagged at 70 in a 55 on a long straight because I wanted to pass a truck before we got into the curvy mountain roads.

I think mine was similar but I don't remember the exact numbers, since it was in '99, might have been 65 in a 55. This in a state where, at the time, it was perfectly legal to go 160 on the interstate if the conditions were appropriate.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
I think my favorite ticket was when I passed someone who was doing 25 in a 30 for several miles before there was finally a spot to pass and I got up to 40. Thanks, Delaware!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

The Locator posted:

I think mine was similar but I don't remember the exact numbers, since it was in '99, might have been 65 in a 55. This in a state where, at the time, it was perfectly legal to go 160 on the interstate if the conditions were appropriate.

If I recall, you could also drink a beer as you drove, provided you weren't legally intoxicated.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

The Locator posted:

I think mine was similar but I don't remember the exact numbers, since it was in '99, might have been 65 in a 55. This in a state where, at the time, it was perfectly legal to go 160 on the interstate if the Highway Patrolman judged that conditions were appropriate.

Fixed.

Only time I ever got pulled for speeding was a highway, when I passed Captain Inconstant And Slow Speed and was pulling away about ten over.

Got one of the last "energy conversation" five-dollar "tickets" for it, too. :clint:

Not everyone in the state could handle speeding well... or just normal driving, for that matter. There used to be entire *forests* of accident crosses on all the major highways and side-roads leading out of Great Falls in the '70s.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
The more recent no speed limit thing had the strange effect of decreasing highway deaths

https://www.motorists.org/press/montana-no-speed-limit-safety-paradox/

Although trying to drive 100 on mt highways in a car built in the 60s seems like not such a good idea.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

jamal posted:

The more recent no speed limit thing had the strange effect of decreasing highway deaths

https://www.motorists.org/press/montana-no-speed-limit-safety-paradox/

Although trying to drive 100 on mt highways in a car built in the 60s seems like not such a good idea.

Freeways yes, state highways no.

"Hey, is the shoulder stripe supposed to be in the grass?" Not that you'd notice the shoulder much because you were busy looking out for cows/deers/elk/horses/antelope/why is someone herding sheep across the highway in the middle of the day/bears/buffalo (limited availability).

State 200 east of Lincoln used to have the only serious "slow down, this speed is *not* a suggestion" turn I'd ever seen, until I hit the full-on hairpin on the east side of Coeur d'Alene before the freeway was completed

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

This is my memory of Montana in the last month before they abolished the "Reasonable Speed" signs....

Had to take my own car for that, my company car up there was governed to 118'ish. Over the course of a season (I worked for a hotel chain at Glacier) I spent many hours testing that governor.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

The Locator posted:

This is my memory of Montana in the last month before they abolished the "Reasonable Speed" signs....

Had to take my own car for that, my company car up there was governed to 118'ish. Over the course of a season (I worked for a hotel chain at Glacier) I spent many hours testing that governor.

Yep, most of the cars I've driven have been governed to right around that speed due to the factory tire speed rating being right around 120.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire_code#Speed_rating

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Michael Scott posted:

Yep, most of the cars I've driven have been governed to right around that speed due to the factory tire speed rating being right around 120.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire_code#Speed_rating

Never really thought about it, but that makes perfect sense from a liability standpoint.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

State 200 east of Lincoln used to have the only serious "slow down, this speed is *not* a suggestion" turn I'd ever seen, until I hit the full-on hairpin on the east side of Coeur d'Alene before the freeway was completed

That would be the infamous 'Rainbow Bend' I think. It was redone/rebuit/re-engineered some years back to be a bit less vicous.

The last company rig I drove maxxed at 96 (and I found that out on hwy 200 this side of rainbow bend).

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

PT6A posted:

If I recall, you could also drink a beer as you drove, provided you weren't legally intoxicated.

That too. The friendly officer would certainly make you do stupid human tricks if they saw you tipping a brew, but if you weren't spifflicated they'd send you on your merry way.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Another instant justice vid

https://gfycat.com/FirmGenerousEchidna

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Reminds me off an intersection with a merge just like that. Albeit the yield sign is in the counter intuitive direction but every morning I nearly merge into the side of someone because they fail to yeild right of way. Like the times it's happened now is measured in the hundreds.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

The Locator posted:

Nice post/av combo there :q:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
These are the buses you share the road with
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwEnLmvL--Y
(I curse, so maybe NSFW with sound on?)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
This truck doesn’t actually spend much time on the road.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0gcs9kyeUE

Escaped inmate.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Platystemon posted:

This truck doesn’t actually spend much time on the road.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0gcs9kyeUE

Escaped inmate.

That woman in the Corolla is pretty lucky to be alive.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Looks like them Duke boys are at it again...

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
This is the Jeep that was in the ER parking lot

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I've seen people do that to fit tall stuff into their garage, but not for actual road use.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

If Trump sees that flag we're going to get another Executive Order... :patriot:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

After status of the truck in that dukes of hazzard video:

Airbages and crumple zones are pretty cool yall.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
It also landed on an occupied car, just to the right of the truck in that photo

Analogue Kid
Jan 4, 2013

Sigma posted:

These colors don't run.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
But they do fade.

Red is the hardest due to make UV resistant without a UV topcoat.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Apparently it's a white supremacist flag.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Sigma posted:

Then there's also this entire thread.

And this thread.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Mar 2, 2017

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

oh wow layitlow forums. I worked for a hydraulic hose company and we were their go-to supplier of lines in the los angeles area. It was something I arranged, actually. All their bouncing puts a lot of pressure on the hydraulic lines and their meets were basically hop until the lines bust. We made them lines with the highest strength stuff we had and it still wasn't enough.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Pretty sure this wasn't the autopilot's fault.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Phanatic posted:

Yeah nope I have no explanations for that other than "he's a loving idiot."

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Phanatic posted:

That looks like it's about 3 miles from my house, southbound 121. There's no signage out signaling that there's a new traffic pattern, they just changed it this last weekend.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Smoke from the battery or cooling system? Cammer was following too close.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

That looks like it's about 3 miles from my house, southbound 121. There's no signage out signaling that there's a new traffic pattern, they just changed it this last weekend.

Yep, this is exactly where I thought it was.

Southbound 121 going over Sandy Lake.

Southbound 121 bridge over Sandy Lake. You can see the NTB building on the right by the service road, same as in the gif. Just across the bridge there's a reroute onto a newly paved portion of the highway.

Streetview is updating because of the reroute, so here's a view from the northbound lane. You can see the red arrow I put on here, that's the newly paved portion.

The newly paved portion is an overpass that goes over the on-ramp, it follows the red line I've drawn. Then there's fresh blacktop to get it to the old service road, a few hundred feet of old service road, and blacktop back across the median to the original flow. This whole portion of highway is a 70 mph limit, so if there's no traffic it's a sudden right after cresting a bridge. Besides there being ongoing construction in this area for the last two years, there's no adjusted speed limit signs out, most of the work has been done away from the flow of traffic.

edit: are the pictures not showing up for anyone else? fixed!

JUST MAKING CHILI fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 2, 2017

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Yep, this is exactly where I thought it was.

Southbound 121 going over Sandy Lake.

Southbound 121 bridge over Sandy Lake. You can see the NTB building on the right by the service road, same as in the gif. Just across the bridge there's a reroute onto a newly paved portion of the highway.

Streetview is updating because of the reroute, so here's a view from the northbound lane. You can see the red arrow I put on here, that's the newly paved portion.

The newly paved portion is an overpass that goes over the on-ramp, it follows the red line I've drawn. Then there's fresh blacktop to get it to the old service road, a few hundred feet of old service road, and blacktop back across the median to the original flow. This whole portion of highway is a 70 mph limit, so if there's no traffic it's a sudden right after cresting a bridge. Besides there being ongoing construction in this area for the last two years, there's no adjusted speed limit signs out, most of the work has been done away from the flow of traffic.

edit: are the pictures not showing up for anyone else?

No, because you're linking to the gallery page and not the image.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Content:

Instead of using the front tow hook mount and running rope through the eye bolt (or using a more suitable vehicle in general), a neighbor rigged up this Home Depot special. The nylon strap just looks like it's ran under the hood, which you can see is already getting pulled up.

Page ago, but those straps are a thing. They sell them. My folks have a set on their Rav4 for hauling their canoe (nothing else to tie off to). Depending on the profile of the sides of your hood - i.e. not the clamshell nonsense a bug sports, they can actually work pretty well.

http://www.orsracksdirect.com/thule-529-hood-loop-strap.html

E: these exist as well if you don't feel like using a fender bolt (or don't have whatever torx your fancypants car uses).

glyph fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Mar 3, 2017

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I use those all the time for my kayak but based on the hood I'm not sure he has them in properly, or he's using a strap under the whole thing. I can assure you my hood doesn't look like that when they're in use.

Fake Edit: They also go more towards the front, not way up by the windshield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Michael Scott posted:

Smoke from the battery or cooling system? Cammer was following too close.

Probably smoke from the front left tire that now has bodywork jammed against it and/or isn't spinning very well.