Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

DefaultPeanut posted:

Posted to a local FB group, but I cant quite place the bike. Ducati something...

Probably a 1098, also probably hit something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

kastein posted:

Alright, I'm going to do something I rarely do now and poo poo all over a specific brand of aftermarket automotive component. Mostly because the level of ignorance and/or disregard for customers displayed in this product is... shocking.

I should note this is my personal opinion, and in no way connected with my employer.

Braille Batteries - gently caress you.

We start with our patient, a Braille ML7 family lithium ion racing battery which has failed: (I have four or five of these sitting here failed, ordered over the course of several years. This is not an isolated example.)

Since it's junk anyways and the engine manufacturer prohibits the use of lithium ion batteries unless they contain a charge balancing circuit I might as well find out why my $400 racing battery failed, right? Time to void that long-expired warranty and crack this sucker open.

Oh.
(Yes, the filament tape was cut by me.)
I'm seeing a lot of hamfuckery going on in here...

The vent is installed using what appears to be large gobs of gel cyanoacrylate. They didn't even get full coverage, there are gaps in a few spots.

Oh dear. :stare:

The terminal wires appear to have been soldered by me when I was nine. That looks remarkably like filament tape someone bought at the post office and electrical tape purchased at home depot, as well.
And what the gently caress is up with a 6ga wire in parallel with a 12ga wire? Just use the right size in the first place.

:wtf:

The nickel terminal strips seem to have been cut with a set of rescue scissors and a loose idea of what size they need to be rather than any sort of machine or die. The terminal spotwelding appears to have been done by a drunk or someone suffering from Parkinsons and the holes "drilled" (I'm being rather generous here) in them for positive terminal alignment appear as if they were chewed out by a rabid badger.

Other end of the pack.

Wait a minute, is that a logo I recognize?

Yes it is.

Southwire THHN. Excellent wire for home/commercial building plant wiring, not so much for a loving race battery.

One wrap of filament tape holding the whole shebang together before it gets jammed into the case.

And most importantly - ZERO evidence of any sort of charge balancing/management hardware. None. Zero. Zilch. Nada. Not only that, there are no inter-cell taps connected to a small charge balancing controller connector on the outside of the case, either. You can't do that with lithium batteries. They MUST be charge balanced regularly. If you don't, one set of cells will fully discharge and become impossible to recharge and/or present a fire risk. Every reputable manufacturer of lithium batteries for motorsport either builds one into their pack or provides a connector to which one can be attached occasionally to rebalance the cells before any dip below minimum charge.

The best part? Braille states that for optimal battery lifetime you should regularly use their charge balancing unit. Which is nice and all, but it connects to the same two external connectors any other charger does, and doesn't have access to the inter-cell taps since they didn't wire any such thing up, so it's physically impossible for it to determine if the cells are unbalanced, nevermind balancing them. Pure snake oil.

Even the guy in Florida home-building his battery housings from clear plexiglas and selling them from a website that looks like it belongs in 1993 on Geocities knows enough to build better battery packs than this. I'm disgusted - by Braille, not the other guy, he seems to have gotten the electronics right if not the packaging.

Cell pair voltages for this pack at present, positive to negative: 3.656V, 3.662V, 3.710V, 0.291V. One of these things is not like the others! (I wonder which pair of cells failed...)

Guess what? The best condition pack I had left caught loving fire today. Wish I had pictures of it for effect, but it was basically unrecognizable and got whipped into a dumpster and vigorously assaulted with a garden hose and is now gone.

Buy better lithium batteries that either explicitly state they contain a charge balancing circuit or have an external connector for one - unless you want to risk a fire and experience vastly reduced starting battery lifetime. Then, Braille batteries are right for you! :thumbsup:

kastein posted:

If you want to, go ahead. My expert witness rates are quite reasonable (see title of Adiabatic's thread) and I half expect an angry letter from them myself, to which I will simply reply that comments backed up by engineering expertise are not libel or slander and if they want a better review they should produce a product that isn't dangerously lovely and risking burning their customers vehicles and/or shops to the ground :v:

So far my list of potential replacements includes various Shorai and AeroVoltz/Ballistic Performance products, all of which include a charge balancer port. AeroLithium (the company I mentioned in my last post) also makes units with a charge balancer port but I think I can put something more polished together myself, so if it comes down to that I will.

JBark posted:

I was wondering that myself, then realized the only answer can be that they couldn't actually bend the proper sized wire to fit inside the case, so used two smaller wires instead. :)

I've been looking at various lithium ion setups lately for a few projects, but every time I just give up in disgust. There's only two options, Chinesium packs with ridiculously overstated specs that will either explode in your face or just arrive completely discharged and unrecoverable cause they've been sitting on a shelf for years, or wildly overpriced name brand stuff, which of often times just a fake anyway.

I suppose it will be like the Chinese carbon bikes, and just take a few years before the reputable Chinese manufacturers start bubbling to the surface.

Also, there's some interesting Youtube videos showing the Shorai batteries putting out nowhere near their rated specs, and/or failing completely when pushed. At first I was questioning the sanity of the guys testing the batteries to failure, but I didn't realize they were Lithium Iron.

Soooo it's time for Round 2 of the lithium ion auto/race battery teardown festival!

Today it's a Shorai LFX24A3-BS12. It's been in a prototype vehicle for approximately 1.5 years, and served well until some idiotI left the ignition on overnight with the doors open and drained it. Voltage was well below the point where multiple cell blocks would have to be below minimum safe recharge level, so it got tagged NFG and put on the shelf till I had time to tear it open. Which I did today.

They're using prismatic/pouch cells. Allegedly this is a Lithion Iron battery, not sure if they actually mean LiFe or LiFePO4 (which is more abuse resistant.) I'm very impressed with their assembly compared to Braille. The casing is injection molded plastic instead of machined from a block, which is cheaper, but only in volume, which tells me they actually have a production line instead of some hick in a basement in Florida.

Actual shrinkwrap was used around the battery assembly! It was then glued into the bottom of the plastic housing with some sort of low durometer thermosetting resin or hotglue.

8 cells. My guess is 4S2P arrangement. Also, they used actual Kapton tape to insulate things, hold foam padding on (there was foam padding!), and bond the pack together.

The wiring is done with quality high-flex hightemp silicone insulated wire, all connections to ring terminals for the battery lugs are heatshrunk and in fact use custom ring terminals from the look of it. The unshrunk tubing is there only to bundle the two wires together as far as I can tell.

More Kapton tape. Also, this pack has a bonding jumper that must be installed prior to use that connects these two lugs together, which is nice. What this allows is for cheaper safer ground shipping because the bonding jumper isn't installed so the lugs won't arc if shorted together. The battery is only "live" once you remove the 4 screws (2 visible) and the cover, install the bonding jumper plate, then put the cover back on.

It's got a balance port! And the wires soldered to the board for it are strain relieved with silicone. Also, holy poo poo, they put a QA sticker on it, which theoretically means they have a QA department. Braille didn't even bother pretending.

More Kapton and you can see here that the battery pack is composed of two 2S2P packs which are combined in series by the bonding jumper to form a 4S2P pack, as I guessed.

Quality wire.

Other observations: I wish they'd used 8ga or 6ga wire instead of 10ga with 14ga paralleled with it, but that might just be me. If it gets the job done...
This battery is the same external size as another unit they sell but has lower current capacity. I'm guessing that's why there was so much dead air in the housing, there was easily enough space to wedge two 2S3P packs in instead of the two 2S2P packs this one came with, to increase cranking amps 50%. Might even be possible to fit in 2S4P packs for a 100% increase. Also it appears there is enough space between the lugs to actually install a proper built in balance charger if someone wanted to pay them enough to do so. Having an external balance charge port is good enough for my use most likely though.

Quality of this unit is worlds beyond the Braille one I disassembled. Cranking amp comparison I haven't done, but I'd rather have this thing in my car than a Braille anyday, since a car that isn't on fire tends to finish before a car that is on fire.

imgur is down/half down presently so you may or may not be able to see the images.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
You just confirmed what I've suspected. That Shorai is loving fantastic.
They're expensive, and you have to use their proprietary charger to balance charge it, but all in all it looks like you're getting what you pay for.

Also, they're LiFePO4 iirc.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
You really don't have to use their proprietary charger, just the right connector plugs in, at that point any LiFePO4 (glad that makes two of us that think that) balance charger should do the trick.

If you need the pinout, poo poo, I have this thing torn in half and can just look at it.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

kastein posted:

You really don't have to use their proprietary charger, just the right connector plugs in, at that point any LiFePO4 (glad that makes two of us that think that) balance charger should do the trick.

If you need the pinout, poo poo, I have this thing torn in half and can just look at it.

Hey it couldn't hurt, post it up!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Do automotive lithium chemistry batteries keep the cells a 70% of nominal capacity to maximise longevity?

Lead acid batteries are happy when they’re kept at full charge at all times, but li‐ions are not.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Mar 1, 2017

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
That was true 5 years ago, and these are LiFePO4. I don't know about lithium iron

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Hey it couldn't hurt, post it up!

So I just learned more stuff. This isn't simply a balance charger port...

It appears that the pinout is such that the pin on the balance port closest to the positive battery lug is the most positive balance pin, and they continue down the chain to the most negative, as you would expect. Not sure what the stuff on the board does but I've got some ideas and am going to see if I can figure it out.

This is a 4S2P pack overall, and has 5 balance pins. The top one is electrically equal to the positive lug and the bottom one is similarly equal to the negative lug, they're only there for convenience so you can balance without hooking to the lugs as well. The other 3 are taps in between the 4 sets of paralleled cells as one would expect.

The white silicone isn't only to secure the 5 small gauge balance charger wires to the back of the board - it seals the balance PCB to the top housing. They carefully put enough silicone on the custom housing and board, on both sides, to fully seal around the connector opening in the top housing even though the connector's not a waterproof one. Very well thought out product, I would prefer a waterproof connector but almost all balance chargers use this connector (99% sure it's the same JST XH connector everyone else uses, anyways) so I can see why they would use it.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Looks like it has filter caps and a couple of rectifiers to reduce noise on the circuit. Clean DC is the best DC.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I run a Shorai in my Aprilia Tuono. It is three years old, never sees a charger, sits outside, and sometimes goes weeks without starting. Never even hesitates when cranking over.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Well, I'm glad the Shorai I put in my old KTM 690 was worth the price. I hope the current owner appreciates it fully.

Also I read all of that in AvE's Canada voice. Maybe I need to watch less youtube. Keep your dick in a-oh goddamnit.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Also I read all of that in AvE's Canada voice. Maybe I need to watch less youtube. Keep your dick in a-oh goddamnit.

Well with the level of teardown it's pretty darn close. And the words used definitely put Me in an AVE setting.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Fermented Tinal posted:

Looks like it has filter caps and a couple of rectifiers to reduce noise on the circuit. Clean DC is the best DC.

Nope. A lot of those are 100 ohm resistors, there are no rectifiers, and the capacitors are too small to be bulk DC filters.

I will gently caress with it more tomorrow, my suspicion is that it is a low cost passive balance circuit (just discharges the strongest cells to match the weakest so the next charge cycle will balance better), a voltage limiter circuit, or maybe a remote sense circuit that uses the small smt r/c parts as a high pass filter to couple data transmissions onto the balance leads. Probably the first option. If I had to guess the SOT23-3 packages are a transistor and the SOT23-6s* are a microcontroller or lithium balancing ASIC.

* or are those SOT353s? Can never remember.

E: ffs cellphone autocorrect, balance not ballgame

kastein fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Mar 1, 2017

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

clam ache posted:

Well with the level of teardown it's pretty darn close. And the words used definitely put Me in an AVE setting.

I dunno, that post was way too informative and the photos way too good to be from AvE.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
That's because it was cherry picked photos. Get a few drinks in, video it all, and edit nothing.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

SEKCobra posted:

I dunno, that post was way too informative and the photos way too good to be from AvE.

He shouted "Focus, you FACK!" right before each photo.

DocCynical
Jan 9, 2003

That is not possible just now

SEKCobra posted:

Didn't talk about the type of plastic enough either.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

DocCynical posted:

Didn't talk about the type of plastic enough either.
That's because it was entirely unremarkable ABS, IIRC.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Fiberglass reinforced, butylene overmould

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Glass Ball reinforced

Glass fiber reinforced

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Rectum fryer

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I ordered something from China recently, and damned if he isn't absolutely right about the oily "China smell" inside the packaging.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
There's also an India smell. Getting parts over 5 years for my Enfield from eBay, they come from India sewn into linen around the boxes, and they literally smell like grass and cow poo poo. No lie, no racism.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

There's also an India smell. Getting parts over 5 years for my Enfield from eBay, they come from India sewn into linen around the boxes, and they literally smell like grass and cow poo poo. No lie, no racism.

Imagine if Harbor Freight would source 50% of their tools from China and 50% from India. That would be one weird loving aroma when walking into their stores from what you described.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I always assumed they did.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

kastein posted:

Nope. A lot of those are 100 ohm resistors, there are no rectifiers, and the capacitors are too small to be bulk DC filters.

I will gently caress with it more tomorrow, my suspicion is that it is a low cost passive balance circuit (just discharges the strongest cells to match the weakest so the next charge cycle will balance better), a voltage limiter circuit, or maybe a remote sense circuit that uses the small smt r/c parts as a high pass filter to couple data transmissions onto the balance leads. Probably the first option. If I had to guess the SOT23-3 packages are a transistor and the SOT23-6s* are a microcontroller or lithium balancing ASIC.

* or are those SOT353s? Can never remember.

E: ffs cellphone autocorrect, balance not ballgame

In my defense: http://ca.mouser.com/Passive-Components/Capacitors/_/N-5g7rZ1yicowz One of these in say... 140uF for 14V would be marked 101 (I think?) and possibly around the same size as the resistors.

My initial thoughts were sorta thrown off by the traces being hard to follow and the lack of ability to make out more than two part numbers. I saw three numbers and immediately figured "capacitor" instead of resistor, and that the 6-pin packages were rectifiers with the transistors being used as switches.

The caps marked 331 are probably for decoupling.

E: I'm voting the SOT23-3s as transistors too.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Mar 2, 2017

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
No throttle

30% throttle

I think there's something wrong with my ambulance.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
:lol:

I thought there was something wrong with the mirror.

Nope, just a hugeass cloud of black smoke.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Nothing is wrong. Your company is just complying with new environmental regulations:

Sorry.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Trump :argh:

E: this is engine #3. Looks like it's going on #4 soon. We've had it...11 months and 45k miles.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Mar 2, 2017

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Those pistons aren't going to melt themselves. Oh, its a Ford? Nevermind, they will.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
NAVVIIISTARRRRRRRRR. Diesel fuel can't melt steel pistons :v:

7.3 or 6.0?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I'm assuming 7.3, but it's a 2014, so I assume a fleet-only option. Looks like they discontinued the E-350 diesel engine options for non-fleet vehicles in 2003. The shroud on the radiator say PowerStroke.

A gigantic portion of our fleet is 6.0hno's, though.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
I'm always baffled at the size of engines in the US. The biggest one you can get in an ambulance here in Germany is as far as I know a 3.5 liter v6.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Shai-Hulud posted:

I'm always baffled at the size of engines in the US. The biggest one you can get in an ambulance here in Germany is as far as I know a 3.5 liter v6.

Have you seen the size of the people they have to move?

My guess is just 'Murica.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Show me a Ford Truck with a small engine and I'm sure they'll build you an ambulance on it. Also considering the way the boxes are built they are probably pretty heavy too.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried
Yeah here in Europe they build them with balsa wood so can get away with not needing a 7 litre engine.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Blacknose posted:

Yeah here in Europe they build them with balsa wood so can get away with not needing a 7 litre engine.

The germans use aluminium sheets iirc. Here we don't have box ambulances outside of some prototypes, just some roof extensions.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

I'm assuming 7.3, but it's a 2014, so I assume a fleet-only option. Looks like they discontinued the E-350 diesel engine options for non-fleet vehicles in 2003. The shroud on the radiator say PowerStroke.

A gigantic portion of our fleet is 6.0hno's, though.
If the Ambulance is a 2014 that actually gives it a good chance of having Ford's in house 6.7L diesel since the 6.7 was released in 2011. I suppose in the fleet world it's possible it might be an older motor, but the 6.7 was Ford's way of telling Navistar to gently caress off and end their relationship due to reliability issues with the 6.0/6.4. For reference, the 6.0 and 7.3 were phased out 2007 and 2003 respectively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

No throttle

30% throttle

I think there's something wrong with my ambulance.

What's wrong is that there was no 100% throttle :black101: picture.