Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Speaking of which does the Wii U version have preloading or anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

ComposerGuy posted:

I think there's a special circumstance here as well. Nintendo is basically relying on BotW to move hardware on a level I don't think they've asked of any other Zelda game, ever.

Good point. There's a lot riding on this commercially to carry the water until Splatoon 2 and Mario Odyssey. They're shipping 2 million Switches globally in March, which isn't that hard a sell, but what could be a hard sell is the 7-9 million units needed to keep pace with most investment firm forecasts, or the 10-12 million being called for by more optimistic ones. So at a minimum, that implies that it probably needs to beat total sales for Skyward Sword (3.6 million) in its first year for everything to work, assuming the other big 2 games can shoulder some of the burden to move the rest during the holidays.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ComposerGuy posted:

I think there's a special circumstance here as well. Nintendo is basically relying on BotW to move hardware on a level I don't think they've asked of any other Zelda game, ever.

BoTW is also Nintendo throwing their hat in the ring with their own take on one of the most popular genres after pretty much doing their own thing for years. Its a fresh new approach to open world with a lot of cool and innovative design choices going into it.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Loopoo posted:

Anyone know where I can buy a copy of the regular BotW? Everywhere I'm looking (Game, Argos, Amazon) are sold out of the regular copies and only have the Limited Edition in stock. I was hoping to grab the game so I could play it on release, but I straight up can't find anything other than Limited Edition and Download codes (gently caress that, same price as the physical game without the physical stuff that I prefer having).

mentioning game and argos, i'm assuming you are uk, there are a few still left at places like VERY and base.com. shopto is sold out cept for the limited edition. most places are running out. Tesco Direct have some and i would guess asda might have it come midnight tomorrow.

you might wanna keep checking the shopto page tho if the others don't get it, that was sold out over the weekend but then came back into stock and managed to snag a copy to go with my switch.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Mar 2, 2017

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

It will turn out that one of the younger developers who owned a PS3 back in the day and liked heavy metal music was super upset that Brutal Legend turned into a third-person RTS game after the first hour and a half or so.

Brutal Legend was fun though? I didn't play it until the PC port so I knew that was coming. And admittedly the main draw is absolutely the setting.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Perhaps my memory is short/foggy but has any system at launch been as dependent on a single game as Switch/BotW?

The other piece of this is the game's own hype. The E3 demo got people interested in it in a way that is rare these days. Perhaps it is simply scratching the right itch at the right time for the gaming industry.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

FooF posted:

Perhaps my memory is short/foggy but has any system at launch been as dependent on a single game as Switch/BotW?

The other piece of this is the game's own hype. The E3 demo got people interested in it in a way that is rare these days. Perhaps it is simply scratching the right itch at the right time for the gaming industry.

mario 64, wii sports. mario world? can't remember much of the snes line up. didnt the cube just have luigis mansion or something? then again i think it had a bunch of other poo poo.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Mario 64 definitely had to carry the N64 at launch (Pilot Wings was the only other game) but stuff like Wave Race and a few other cool titles (Blast Corps) weren't far behind. Halo carried the XBox but it launched with 20 or so odd titles.

So yeah, Nintendo is banking on BotW like they banked on Mario 64. Come to think of it, the reactions have been pretty similar between both games: people just kind of talk about how much of a joy it is to play them.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
I think Wii Sports sold the Wii, to be honest.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

FooF posted:

You really have to go back to N64 with Mario 64. It launched with Pilotwings, which no one cared about. Shadows of the Empire followed shortly after for the holiday season, but wasn't technically a launch game. Fair to consider it in the launch window though. But make no mistake, Mario 64 was a touchstone event for the whole industry, and it was so god drat dazzling that it propelled N64 to not just the cool console to have but THE hot holiday gift to give and get. The only thing on its level that year in all of presents was Tickle Me Elmo.

Super Nintendo's launch was similar, with the titles being Mario World, F-Zero and Pilotwings.

The other one that arguably comes to mind is X-Box. Halo was the reason you wanted that system. But it had a pretty full-throated line-up with fighting games (Dead or Alive), sports games, a Batman game, and other little diverse stuff like Fuzion Frenzy that you got in addition to the big game.

ComposerGuy posted:

I was in college for this. Twilight Princess was why I got it and there were quite a few games at launch. But as a new gadget and concept, Wii Sports was by far the biggest thing. Bowling in particular doesn't get nearly enough credit as being one of the greatest casual games of all time.

E: Beaten soundly. But I think we're all on the same page: It's N64 as the most clear example, and to a lesser extent XBox, SNES and Wii.

sigmachiev fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Mar 2, 2017

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj8_7OFK0oc

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

ComposerGuy posted:

totally did. i think maybe they should have bundled 1 2 switch with all consoles this time.

edit: holy poo poo, decided to go pick 1 2 switch up too since its discounted and even that's sold out.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Mar 2, 2017

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Dexie posted:

That was kind of common back in the day for 'fantasy' RPG franchises. Early Ultima was full of it, Might & Magic eventually went pretty hard on the sci-fi stuff, there's things like WARMECH in Final Fantasy. I think Wizardry had some sci-fi stuff here and there?

Honestly it's kind of surprising that Zelda took this long to really start dipping into it.

Expedition to the Barrier Peaks had it in classic D&D even.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Vikar Jerome posted:

mario 64, wii sports. mario world? can't remember much of the snes line up. didnt the cube just have luigis mansion or something? then again i think it had a bunch of other poo poo.

The Cube had Melee on launch, so it was fine.

E: There was also Pikmin. Also Rogue Leader.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

None of those consoles were in the bad, "do people even take us seriously anymore?" position that the Switch is in, though. I'm curious how BOTW is received by the general public. The gaming press loves it so far, and I'm sure most first day purchasers will feel similarly (i.e. people who were going to play it no matter what). But what's the general buzz outside of those circles? It's another open world game in a franchise that has seen better days, and hasn't had a home console hit in a decade, coming out on a dead console that no one owns, and a new console with an uncertain future. Real curious how it fares with people who have moved on from Nintendo, or who were in diapers the last time you could actually consider buying a console just for Zelda.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Mar 2, 2017

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
so were all the skyward sword/twilight princess reviews "BEST GAME EVER HOLY poo poo" before release? because it seems that's how all the reviews are trending and i'm getting worrying amounts of hype seeing them all come in. i mean the friggin' kotaku article said the only con was that you can't remap the buttons.

:ohdear:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

axeil posted:

so were all the skyward sword/twilight princess reviews "BEST GAME EVER HOLY poo poo" before release? because it seems that's how all the reviews are trending and i'm getting worrying amounts of hype seeing them all come in. i mean the friggin' kotaku article said the only con was that you can't remap the buttons.

:ohdear:

Yes, both TP and SS were given a glowing reception at release. Skyward Sword less so, but Zelda games have always been number one with a bullet in review scores.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Vikar Jerome posted:

mentioning game and argos, i'm assuming your are uk, there are a few still left at places like VERY and base.com. shopto is sold out cept for the limited edition. most places are running out. Tesco Direct have some and i would guess asda might have it come midnight tomorrow.

you might wanna keep checking the shopto page tho if the others don't get it, that was sold out over the weekend but then came back into stock and managed to snag a copy to go with my switch.

Thanks man, reason I picked Game and Argos is cause they're places I can straight up go to and pick a copy up from. I guess I'll just have to suck it up and buy it for delivery.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

sigmachiev posted:

E: Beaten soundly. But I think we're all on the same page: It's N64 as the most clear example, and to a lesser extent XBox, SNES and Wii.

Sonic the Hedgehog as the pack-in for Genesis in the states can probably also be credited for giving Sega any major headway into the market here at all.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Waffleman_ posted:

The Cube had Melee on launch, so it was fine.

E: There was also Pikmin. Also Rogue Leader.

Melee and Pikmin weren't launch titles, though Melee was out like a month after launch, so close enough.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

sigmachiev posted:

Good point. There's a lot riding on this commercially to carry the water until Splatoon 2 and Mario Odyssey. They're shipping 2 million Switches globally in March, which isn't that hard a sell, but what could be a hard sell is the 7-9 million units needed to keep pace with most investment firm forecasts, or the 10-12 million being called for by more optimistic ones. So at a minimum, that implies that it probably needs to beat total sales for Skyward Sword (3.6 million) in its first year for everything to work, assuming the other big 2 games can shoulder some of the burden to move the rest during the holidays.

If the Switch can mange to sell 11 million this year they will have sold more Switches in a year than they sold Wii Us in the whole console's lifetime.

Poor Wii U :smith:

Oxxidation posted:

Yes, both TP and SS were given a glowing reception at release. Skyward Sword less so, but Zelda games have always been number one with a bullet in review scores.

:ohdear: this worries me since skyward sword was kinda...tedious and not all that fun.

twilight princess was great though. best part was the soup dungeon and snowboarding. also riding the spinner everywhere.

FooF posted:

Yes. Multiple times actually and they all were Nintendo.

SNES - Super Mario World. No one had really successfully pulled off a console upgrade as a manufacturer yet so even though it seems a bit obvious today it wasn't so in the early 1990s
Gameboy - Tetris. The Gameboy would've probably been a historical footnote if Tetris hadn't come out and taken the entire world by storm.
N64 - Mario 64. The N64 literally launched with only 2 games so...yeah
Wii - Twilight Princess...although you could argue Wii Sports actually moved more systems.

You also may be able to put Halo and the original XBox here although I'm not sure if Halo was a launch title.

FooF posted:

Mario 64 definitely had to carry the N64 at launch (Pilot Wings was the only other game) but stuff like Wave Race and a few other cool titles (Blast Corps) weren't far behind.

Yeah the N64 launch line up is nuts:

Mario 64 - September 29th, 1996
Pilotwings - September 29th, 1996
Mortal Kombat Trilogy - October 31st, 1996
Waverace 64 - November 1st, 1996
Wayne Gretsky's 3D Hockey - November 11th, 1996
Killer Instinct Gold - November 25th, 1996
Cruis'n USA - December 3rd, 1996
Shadows of the Empire - December 3rd, 1996

That was it for the first 4 months of the console's life. The crazy thing is most of those games were pretty drat good. When I got the system for Christmas that year (thanks mom! :3: ) I only had Waverace, Cruis'n USA and Shadows of the Empire and I was still utterly amazed. Shadows of the Empire being really tough for a little kid who'd never played a 3D game before probably helped too.

Shortly after the launch window you had Mario Kart 64, Blast Corps and Turok release in February of '97. Later that year you had StarFox, Goldeneye, Diddy Kong Racing and Bomberman 64. You could only have bought games from September 29th 1996 to September 28th 1997 and still had an excellent library. I remember all this because it was the height of my Nintendo Power reading and they were hyping the poo poo out of all these games.

axeil fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Mar 2, 2017

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
where can i pre-download the wiiu version of BOTW? i am not seeing it on the e-shop.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Have there been any detailed reports of how it runs on Wii U yet? It seems like all the review copies were for Switch.

Flippinlikebirds
Feb 2, 2007
I'm an ideas man Michael. I think I proved that with Fuck Mountain.

Tender Bender posted:

None of those consoles were in the bad, "do people even take us seriously anymore?" position that the Switch is in, though. I'm curious how BOTW is received by the general public. The gaming press loves it so far, and I'm sure most first day purchasers will feel similarly (i.e. people who were going to play it no matter what). But what's the general buzz outside of those circles? It's another open world game in a franchise that has seen better days, and hasn't had a home console hit in a decade, coming out on a dead console that no one owns, and a new console with an uncertain future. Real curious how it fares with people who have moved on from Nintendo, or who were in diapers the last time you could actually consider buying a console just for Zelda.

I haven't bought a console in over 10 years. I had pretty much given up on gaming as a hobby except for the occasional indie game that my crappie laptop could run. This game made me preorder a switch.

I probably don't represent the general public though as I used to be a massive Zelda fan.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

PantsBandit posted:

Have there been any detailed reports of how it runs on Wii U yet? It seems like all the review copies were for Switch.

Apparently the Famitsu version was reviewed on WiiU. There were (more) performance hits and the game would chug when you're fighting enemies with a thunderstorm going on but otherwise it appears to be pretty much the same. The performance may always suck or the day 1 patch might fix it. Who knows.

I mean the last time this happened the Wii and Gamecube version of Twilight Princess were pretty much the same except for the :wtc: flipped map in the Wii version and waggle controls.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
The Switch looks DOA to such a degree that even if Breath of the Wild runs like the Last Guardian on Wii U I still wouldn't get one. Hell, I regret buying the Wii U, sort of. Hyrule Warriors was great but Bayonetta 2 and Xenoblade X were my big hopes for that console and they both kind of sucked!

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

FooF posted:

The big launch title for the PS2 was playing DVDs if my memory serves.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Tender Bender posted:

Yeah good points. I think for Nintendo, part of their design decisions had to have been them looking at sales of games like Skyrim (7 million units in a week), GTA5 (did a billion dollars in 3 days), Witcher 3 (4 million units in two weeks) and the like and saying hey, we have this legendary IP that can fit in that space so this is our chance to loving go for it. The trouble is, those games I cited above not only didn't have to sell a new gizmo, they were clearly made for a demographic that Nintendo has historical trouble getting. So for N's part, they're trying to get the casual demo, the loyal Nintendo demo, and the rich 18-35 demo that has moved on, all at the same time, with one E10+ game. The only thing that is unifying all those groups is a truly fantastic video game.

axeil posted:

If the Switch can mange to sell 11 million this year they will have sold more Switches in a year than they sold Wii Us in the whole console's lifetime.

Poor Wii U :smith:

On the sales of 11M, I'm quoting analysts who are really bullish on the system. I've also seen optimistic goals pegged at 40 million in 4 years. Personally, I think it's asking a lot.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

For ps3 it was playing ps2 games and Blu Ray.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

:siren: Preorders for the Special Edition appear to be back on Walmart.com. I just ordered one a couple of hours ago, and they're still showing up as available as of right now.

Only problem is it won't be delivered until March 13th, but I don't have the console yet and will be out of town for awhile between Friday and then anyway, so it works for me.

Now let's just hope this isn't a glitch.

Four and a half hours later and it's...... still showing up as available. :raise:

What the gently caress? Yesterday you couldn't get the BotW Special Edition anywhere, today Walmart's had them available for at least an entire afternoon. Something doesn't seem right.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Oxxidation posted:

The Switch looks DOA to such a degree that even if Breath of the Wild runs like the Last Guardian on Wii U I still wouldn't get one. Hell, I regret buying the Wii U, sort of. Hyrule Warriors was great but Bayonetta 2 and Xenoblade X were my big hopes for that console and they both kind of sucked!

lmao

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

It has framerate issues during busy moments people say.

According to those with more knowledge then I, the Switch has the same framerate issues, to the same degree, at the same times.

The Switch only performs better when it's handheld only/running at 720p.

Outside of that ( which I assume is a patchable issue, but also all console games look kind of sketchy to me/seem to have framerate issues to me since I'm used to PC gaming ) it is 1:1 in terms of all graphical options, including view distance/depth of field/AA/graphics. Nintendo has come out saying it's a 1:1 version graphically and looks/plays identically, but the Switch version comes with "enhanced environmental sounds." whatever that means.

Just get the WiiU version.

e: For those worrying about BotW, I literally have never played a Zelda game. My first Nintendo console was a WiiU to complement my PC because I wanted to start trying all the amazing looking first party stuff Nintendo was putting out for the WiiU/solid initial third party stuff. My only experience with Zelda is Oracle of Ages/Seasons which I think I 100%ed both but I barely remember them. I'm 100% down for this because it looks incredible. I'm not buying a Switch for a single game, but I am buying the WiiU version. At least one friend just bought a cheapo WiiU to play this game as well, and his last Zelda game was Twilight Princess. I'm not sure it's going to push Switch units, but it may push WiiUs.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Mar 2, 2017

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Oxxidation posted:

Look at this dumb bitch who hasn't played Smash 4.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

AggressivelyStupid posted:

For ps3 it was playing ps2 games and Blu Ray.

I got my PS3 in 2014 because it could serve as a Blu-Ray player and it came packed in with GTA V which wasn't on Steam yet.

The only other things I've done with it are play Demon Souls, MGS4, Madden and MLB: The Show. I haven't booted up a game on it in I think 2 years but I still use it as my Blu-Ray player.

sigmachiev posted:

On the sales of 11M, I'm quoting analysts who are really bullish on the system. I've also seen optimistic goals pegged at 40 million in 4 years. Personally, I think it's asking a lot.

40 million in 4 years seems...possible? Assuming this truly does replace the 3DS and WiiU I could see it happening although you would lose out some on folks who bought both.

axeil fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Mar 2, 2017

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Rookersh posted:

It has framerate issues during busy moments people say.

According to those with more knowledge then I, the Switch has the same framerate issues, to the same degree, at the same times.

The Switch only performs better when it's handheld only/running at 720p.

Outside of that ( which I assume is a patchable issue, but also all console games look kind of sketchy to me/seem to have framerate issues to me since I'm used to PC gaming ) it is 1:1 in terms of all graphical options, including view distance/depth of field/AA/graphics. Nintendo has come out saying it's a 1:1 version graphically and looks/plays identically, but the Switch version comes with "enhanced environmental sounds." whatever that means.

Just get the WiiU version.

Yeah no way am I getting a Switch, at least not for a long while. I'm just glad to hear it doesn't run like complete rear end on the Wii U.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
How long until the review embargo is up?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Bardeh posted:

3:00 AM PST according to some outlets.

Edit: I never remember daylight savings. :argh:

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Mar 2, 2017

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Bardeh posted:

Never. No one is allowed to review this game. Anything that comes out is fake reviews.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Never. No one is allowed to review this game. Anything that comes out is fake reviews.

Please get some sleep, Mr. Trump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Fake RPG Zelda thinks it can compete with Elder Scrolls, but has half the lore. Sad!

Edit: For how much of a joke Famitsu is, this is a good cover.

It's dangerous to go alone.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Mar 2, 2017