Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I think the Eureka system is a good start to something resembling Civilization "specialization," in that if you're, say, a mostly coastal civ, congrats you get a discount on coastal tech. That sort of makes sense. My issue with the Eurekas is that most of them are done by doing things you would already do. I also think that a 50 percent discount is also too big. Maybe something in the range of 25 to 33 percent would be enough to be an incentive, but not necessarily dictate your actions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I am really liking Australia. It's great being able to look at a giant stretch of desert and say "yep, I'm going to settle all over that". Now we need a civ that can do something with snow.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I just realised how great Australia would be combo'd with Petra.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Legit question, is Norway's leader a WWE heel?

He has the evil theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8bvkCJkA3w

He has the pose for the ring:

He is gonna choke you on the main event

He hates you for not having 100 ships at turn 3

He has this is in the bag:

turboraton fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Mar 2, 2017

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
How do people play the early game in this? I tend to start off with three slingers, a builder, monument and granary. Then I kill time with traders and districts until I unlock colonisation for cheap settlers and do a mass colonisation effort.

I've seen deity players say the best way to win is an archer/warrior rush on your nearest neighbour though.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

For the best chance of snowballing, taking out your neighbours as early as you can is a good strategy. Personally, I'm more of a roleplayer so I just do whatever is fun at the time.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

turboraton posted:

He has the evil theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8bvkCJkA3w

He is gonna choke you on the main event

He hates you for not having 100 ships at turn 3

He has this is in the bag:

Harald Hardrada is gonna give you the Chokeslam from the North if you settle next to him again, brother!

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I used to build a scout first, but the minimap for this game is really ugly to look at, so exploration isn't as fun. Now it's usually a worker or maybe like a war cart for Sumeria. I play on level 5 mostly.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

John F Bennett posted:

For the best chance of snowballing, taking out your neighbours as early as you can is a good strategy. Personally, I'm more of a roleplayer so I just do whatever is fun at the time.

I'm actually trying out a game right now where I don't attack anybody, I just scout and settler spam and outside of being in an apparent permanent war with Norway (who isn't anywhere near me he just refuses to sign a peace treaty), I'm allied with two civs and friends with two more. What warmonger penalty? Sure I'm not snowballing right out of the gate but it's easy enough to snowball on sci/culture once you get past the early game.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Installed the CQUI mod and omg this is awesome. Only did a test game to see the screens and changes but already love it.

I know in CIV 5 mods disabled achievements. Is it the same for 6?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Tried my first all out war game yesterday, picked Schytia. Built like 6 horse archers, 4 horse dudes, 2 catapults and then went to war. I conquered the entire map using just these units, didn't even have to scout except to find the very last capital, Egypt. It looks like Egypt was mobbed by barbarians, they only ever built a single city and it was surrounded by captured workers and settlers. The game is just too easy, this is like the second world conquest victory I have done, it is way easier to just sit back and hit next turn until you win by culture or science.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

TjyvTompa posted:

Tried my first all out war game yesterday, picked Schytia. Built like 6 horse archers, 4 horse dudes, 2 catapults and then went to war. I conquered the entire map using just these units, didn't even have to scout except to find the very last capital, Egypt. It looks like Egypt was mobbed by barbarians, they only ever built a single city and it was surrounded by captured workers and settlers. The game is just too easy, this is like the second world conquest victory I have done, it is way easier to just sit back and hit next turn until you win by culture or science.

How did you manage amenities in an all-out war? Did you have more cities building entertainment districts? Government cards for amenity bonuses?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Fhqwhgads posted:

How did you manage amenities in an all-out war? Did you have more cities building entertainment districts? Government cards for amenity bonuses?

Yes, the only districts I built were commercial and entertainment, any other districts I built just because I was bored. The only thing you need to win is a positive cashflow and positive amenities.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Digital Jedi posted:

Installed the CQUI mod and omg this is awesome. Only did a test game to see the screens and changes but already love it.

I know in CIV 5 mods disabled achievements. Is it the same for 6?

Nope, you can mod your heart out and still get achievements.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Digital Jedi posted:

That mod is so awesome that it actually makes this mystery game playable for me. And it is updated daily. I'm probably going to join the github and make some suggestions. Maybe I'll even contribute if proper mod documentation comes out and I don't have to spend 120 hours researching basic stuff.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

turboraton posted:

CascadeBeta posted:

Harald Hardrada is gonna give you the Chokeslam from the North if you settle next to him again, brother!

Didn't Triple H have a King of the Ring outfit like this once? I'm serious.

I think you're right.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Can you change the menus to all display on the left side?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I am the studded armor of leather scales.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Why can't I attack a settler before declaring war?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Tenzarin posted:

Why can't I attack a settler before declaring war?

You can't attack anything before declaring war, I thought

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I like how the fog of war makes the hidden map stuff look like a map that was drawn.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
It's nice but it also makes the map strangely hard to read at a glance.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

yeah it's cool for about five minutes and then it becomes very noisy

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I also like how I can change my keybindings in game.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Tenzarin posted:

I also like how I can change my keybindings in game.

These are all things you'll come to realize were poorly thought-out. For example, in Civ 5, B was (B)ombard and (B)uild City. However, you can't bind the same key to different commands even though the game can't possibly get them confused--your Settler is never going to execute a ranged attack, and your archers cannot found a city. Particularly frustrating is how Fortify for land units and Sleep for ships (... and artillery because they can't fortify because defense bonuses lol) is considered a separate command, so you keep trying to Sleep your navy with F like in every other Civ game since the dawn of time but it doesn't happen, so you try to bind Sleep to F but then it unbinds Foritfy :shepicide:

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Mar 3, 2017

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

Antares posted:

yeah it's cool for about five minutes and then it becomes very noisy

For me it's the other way around.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I put next action on my mouse, so I don't have to click the screen to move on to the next unit. Turns are going by really fast.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Tenzarin posted:

I put next action on my mouse, so I don't have to click the screen to move on to the next unit. Turns are going by really fast.

You can edit the ini file to auto-scroll between unit turns, but Civ 6's terrible planning makes itself known yet again and this isn't actually a toggleable option in the game menus despite the fact that it's fully implemented and 99.9% bug-free.

The 0.1% bug case where it can't select a unit that needs orders because it got pushed by borders or alerted by a non-barbarian enemy unit still strikes if you're cycling units manually :downs:

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

So, whoever's in charge of the PBEM Goon Games 3 and 4, can we make Cascade's civ AI-controlled?

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Kevos Setzer posted:

Didn't Triple H have a King of the Ring outfit like this once? I'm serious.

I think you're right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh-kmws3Gx4

I mean, you're close enough.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Byzantine posted:

So, whoever's in charge of the PBEM Goon Games 3 and 4, can we make Cascade's civ AI-controlled?

Mac still doesn't have the Australian Summer 2017 patch, and at least one player (me) is on Mac. Patience, young padawan.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

You can edit the ini file to auto-scroll between unit turns, but Civ 6's terrible planning makes itself known yet again and this isn't actually a toggleable option in the game menus despite the fact that it's fully implemented and 99.9% bug-free.

The 0.1% bug case where it can't select a unit that needs orders because it got pushed by borders or alerted by a non-barbarian enemy unit still strikes if you're cycling units manually :downs:

Civ VI does have it as a toggeable option on the menu (Interface) as of 2 patches ago. Or was it 3? It's been there a while, definitely since before the Australian summer patch, though it wasn't there at release.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Byzantine posted:

I just quit game 4 because this is stupid it's been more than 2 weeks.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
I didn't mean to kill the PYTD games. :(

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

CascadeBeta posted:

I didn't mean to kill the PYTD games. :(

I can't even kick you because the PYDT timer thing is screwed up. Can you do me a favor and log in a drop the game?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

So I'm eyeballing this on steam right now but after skimming through the reviews I'm not so sure if I wanna grab it at full price instead of waiting for a sale or whatever. Thing is I enjoyed Civ5 but I'm also one of those weird people that don't really play the game as intended and just do chill and easy games with a few AI civs where I build my shiny towns all over the world and slowly oppress the AI until I'm bored of shaping the world I got handed. So yeah the main problem I have is that I'm not sure if it's a significant enough upgrade over civ5 for that style of play

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

It's pretty fun until you get to religion, and then it's a grind. I've played through three or so full games, but I don't have a desire to return to it until it gets some significant patching/expansion.

The potential is definitely there for it to surpass 5, but it's going to take a long time. I say wait for a sale.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Peas and Rice posted:

I can't even kick you because the PYDT timer thing is screwed up. Can you do me a favor and log in a drop the game?

Sure thing I'll do that once I get back to my pc. Surrender?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Tin Tim posted:

So I'm eyeballing this on steam right now but after skimming through the reviews I'm not so sure if I wanna grab it at full price instead of waiting for a sale or whatever. Thing is I enjoyed Civ5 but I'm also one of those weird people that don't really play the game as intended and just do chill and easy games with a few AI civs where I build my shiny towns all over the world and slowly oppress the AI until I'm bored of shaping the world I got handed. So yeah the main problem I have is that I'm not sure if it's a significant enough upgrade over civ5 for that style of play

Given the state of the AI and the significant departure from V in the form of districts, I think you would enjoy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

homullus posted:

Given the state of the AI and the significant departure from V in the form of districts, I think you would enjoy it.

Yeah, districts and wonders taking spaces on the map definitely adds kind of a "puzzle" factor to laying out cities that takes way more thinking than Civ 5 city construction.

And the AI is laughably easy to oppress :v: