Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

pentyne posted:

Given this is the last WiiU game and probably the only WiiU related active thread, whats the best choice for a Wii U pro controller? Any good 3rd party ones or is the official Nintendo brand one worth the extra $?

Dunno about third party but the official controller has a functionally infinite battery life. It's unreal how long it can go without needing a charge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
the pro controller is really one of the best controllers ever, it just feels so solid

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

SettingSun posted:

Dunno about third party but the official controller has a functionally infinite battery life. It's unreal how long it can go without needing a charge.

Also, Reddit is reporting Walmart has it on sale for $25. Just a heads up

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I lost my Pro controller's charge cable and while I know it's not proprietary none of the other half-dozen USB cables I have lying around fit the drat thing, very annoying.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Grimes posted:

The reviews look good but I have a obsessive hatred of weapons and armor that permanently break so I wonder if that would be enough for me not to enjoy it.

I think normally durability is annoying, but in this case the durability is so low that you just accept that everything is disposable to encourage a scavenge-use-abandon flow of gameplay.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
treasure your iron hammers

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Oxxidation posted:

I lost my Pro controller's charge cable and while I know it's not proprietary none of the other half-dozen USB cables I have lying around fit the drat thing, very annoying.

It's mini USB. So same as the ps3 controller.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

This game sure is getting great reviews everywhere.:wow:

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

havenwaters posted:

It's mini USB. So same as the ps3 controller.

Yeah, never had one of those. It's no big deal, I can just use the Gamepad. Chances are pretty slim I'll be playing the Wii U for any other reason after this.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

As a snobby jerkoff PC elitist my only real gripe with consoles is the framerates, so this is the best news I could've hoped for

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
After watching some videos the differences between the Wii U and Switch versions seem pretty slim. Has anyone played it on the Wii U?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, going by this video, they really do look goddamn near identical:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=se-NEt1rxBc

Again, I'd like to see a more comprehensive comparison, but hell, even the environment clutter and draw distance don't seem too different. I feel a lot better about just jumping right into the Wii U version now. The Switch version also has better contrast, but again, I'm not sure it's something you'd notice without a direct side-by-side.

Up close textures on things like walls and rocks aren't as sharp on the Wii U, but it's also running at a lower resolution. But also, we're not even talking 720p vs. 1080p: it's 900p on the Switch. It's a really small difference.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Mar 2, 2017

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

God I hope that's for Wii U and Switch instead of just Switch I don't see myself getting a Switch anytime soon due to availability and it only having zelda for months. Also I'd have to put up the wii u due to space reasons and have a bunch of games still to play on the wii u

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

havenwaters posted:

God I hope that's for Wii U and Switch instead of just Switch I don't see myself getting a Switch anytime soon due to availability and it only having zelda for months. Also I'd have to put up the wii u due to space reasons and have a bunch of games still to play on the wii u

"Only Zelda" -- did you see the indie presentation earlier this week?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Even if the Switch does have desirable non-Zelda games right now, nobody who didn't preorder is getting one any time soon. It'd be nice if Nintendo had another shipment coming in a couple of weeks, but I really doubt that, given that preorders never reopened after the initial window and it sounds like stores will have only a handful of systems available for non-preorders on launch day. That doesn't exactly say "we're steadily shipping these and will have plenty of supply available all month," y'know?

I guess you could get one if you went really early and stood in line for a midnight launch at a Best Buy?

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Apparently my local stop is having a midnight sale. I'll have to consider going if I'm planning to start playing tomorrow instead during the weekend.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
My USB stick hosed itself fifteen minutes into the game, so I had to redownload.

Don't keep game data on an usb-stick if you can avoid it :(

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Also the game is p.good. Some framerate issues on the wiiu.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Is there any word on when the game unlocks for digital downloads? Has anyone bought a code on Amazon, if so is it redeemable now or do you have to wait?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Giving some very real thought to trying to grab a Switch at Target tomorrow morning, but somehow I don't think it's realistic given my work carpooling situation and how early I'd probably have to line up :ohdear:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

Even if the Switch does have desirable non-Zelda games right now, nobody who didn't preorder is getting one any time soon. It'd be nice if Nintendo had another shipment coming in a couple of weeks, but I really doubt that, given that preorders never reopened after the initial window and it sounds like stores will have only a handful of systems available for non-preorders on launch day. That doesn't exactly say "we're steadily shipping these and will have plenty of supply available all month," y'know?

I guess you could get one if you went really early and stood in line for a midnight launch at a Best Buy?

Reminder that eShop is a thing

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Unless I can download a Nintendo Switch I'm not sure how the eShop helps on that front.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Supposedly all the major retailers are getting plenty of non-preorder-allocated units to sell tomorrow.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

jivjov posted:

Supposedly all the major retailers are getting plenty of non-preorder-allocated units to sell tomorrow.

Are we talking "plenty" as in "if you line up three hours before opening you've got a good shot," or "plenty" as in "you can probably get one tomorrow?" Because the first one is the impression I got from most things I read.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

When I waited outside Best Buy for the Wii they had 70 systems, unless I'm misremembering, good enough for people who arrived several hours early but not the ones who showed up right before opening. No idea what the preorder situation was though and it's the only system I've bought at launch.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

Unless I can download a Nintendo Switch I'm not sure how the eShop helps on that front.

oh you were on about the console not games

i doubt they'll be that scarce after a few days or so

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I mean, that would certainly be nice. If it's realistic to get a Switch in a couple of weeks, hell yeah. I just don't have a ton of faith in Nintendo to operate that way. I mean, wasn't it basically impossible to get a Wii for like a whole year? Obviously that was a long time ago and the Wii was probably a special case so I'm not expecting the Switch to be impossible to get a hold of for longer than a month or two, but still.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I saw the Giantbomb quick look for the game and the music for Hyrule Castle is a really cool track for storming a castle

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

SgtSteel91 posted:

I saw the Giantbomb quick look for the game and the music for Hyrule Castle is a really cool track for storming a castle
Have fun storming the castle!

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Also holy poo poo are some features obviously axed to make sure that the WiiU version is not superior in any way. No way at any point in the game design did the devs intend the wii U screen to display a static message of "please press here if you wish to use this screen for gameplay".

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/03/02/why-zelda-breath-of-the-wildas-touchscreen-features-were-cut

This is blizzard-level lying.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Popete posted:

Is there any word on when the game unlocks for digital downloads? Has anyone bought a code on Amazon, if so is it redeemable now or do you have to wait?

This is what I have. I assume I'm not getting the code until then.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

What a weird lie. I would have been way more inclined to believe that it had to be cut for performance reasons, considering how rear end the game runs

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

No Mods No Masters posted:

What a weird lie. I would have been way more inclined to believe that it had to be cut for performance reasons, considering how rear end the game runs

Hard to imagine how a map or inventory screen would've impacted performance.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

havenwaters posted:

Even if it's not, the game is definitely playable to me on Wii U. I'm more forgiving of slight stutters in open world games though.

They clearly cut out the second screen map stuff just so the Wii U wouldn't have any advantage.:lol:

EDIT: The Wii U one does have one pretty advantage:
https://twitter.com/stephentotilo/status/837345024387993602

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

ditty bout my clitty posted:

Hard to imagine how a map or inventory screen would've impacted performance.

Well yeah I mean it would have been a lie also, just a vaguely more plausible one. That said I wouldn't write off any weird performance poo poo out of hand in a game where trying to hit an enemy with your sword sometimes causes a literal 1 second long hitch

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Does the game show up in the eShop yet

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Well yeah I mean it would have been a lie also, just a vaguely more plausible one. That said I wouldn't write off any weird performance poo poo out of hand in a game where trying to hit an enemy with your sword sometimes causes a literal 1 second long hitch

Agreed, it takes something away from the beautiful vistas of this game when it performs on par with the N64 version of perfect dark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

I think that'd actually be less plausible than 'the touchscreen didn't result in the feel we were going for.'