Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I like that the three of them are getting distinct personalities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
I think the character most hurt by the nephew's new voices is Donald, he seems really out of place now.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
So Thomas Astruc(guy who made Ladybug) teased some new episodes.

We're gonna get a Big party! Apocalypse! DBMAT!

But what does DBMAT stand for, you ask?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I am none the wiser about the true nature of DBMAT.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
They're going to reuse the joke where Cell keeps trying to build a giant floor mat correctly and failing.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Payndz posted:

I am none the wiser about the true nature of DBMAT.

Dragon
Ball
Martial
Arts
Tournament

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Gann Jerrod posted:

I think the character most hurt by the nephew's new voices is Donald, he seems really out of place now.

Donald's voice is super odd now that every other character basically sounds normal while he's the odd duck in his classic voice.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Xelkelvos posted:

Donald's voice is super odd now that every other character basically sounds normal while he's the odd duck in his classic voice.

It seems off having Donald involved at all given he was basically a non-factor in the first show.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

It seems off having Donald involved at all given he was basically a non-factor in the first show.

But that was back when kids would have had the context to know that Duck Tales was a Donald Duck cartoon spin off show. I bet that most of today's kids have never seen H,D,&L or even Scrooge before and so Disney wanted to tether the new series a bit more to the Mickeyverse so that it doesn't just look like Gravity Falls but with Ducks.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Plus donald was a major player in the original comics.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Loving Tenant's Scrooge. He put his own personality into it while still being reminiscent of the original. Really love it.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Besides the one line the Internet's grabbed on to, I really like that part where Louie is id's as the Evil Triplet and he just shrugs it off.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I love that they're taking the Rosa-ish "adventurer fallen from grace gets back in action" angle with Scrooge

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
I hope they have cameos from other classic Disney cartoons. Launchpad is there, lets have a Darkwing Duck episode!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
It's amazing how just putting Scrooge in the red jacket does so much to evoke the NES game and the original Barks stuff. I'm really excited!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I quite like Tennant as Scrooge he sounds great in the role.

The Nephews sound a bit odd but I think I just have to get used to them. Already like them a bit more after watching the trailer a few more times.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I liked the nephews, but again, that's probably me coming in without any of the baggage of the original series.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Waffleman_ posted:

I liked the nephews, but again, that's probably me coming in without any of the baggage of the original series.

They have pretty much sounded the same for everything they have ever appeared in. Have you never seen a Disney cartoon featuring them.

But yeah it's not bad just odd.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Ducktales: I wish everyone wasn't SHOUTING ALL THE TIME SO EXCITED but I am okay with HD&L sounding different. That was just a way for Walt to save money by having whole cartoons out of nothing but Ducky Nash having conversations with himself. Animators were more replaceable than voice talent in the 50s. Voice actors were more expensive, more unionized, and Warners made a fortune making cheap cartoons were Mel Blanc voiced literally everyone.

So giving the little ducks unique voices is fine.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Mar 3, 2017

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

They have pretty much sounded the same for everything they have ever appeared in. Have you never seen a Disney cartoon featuring them.

Quack Pack doesn't count then, I guess. I had forgotten it existed until I tried to remember all of the media they were in. It ran for 1 season or 39 episodes.

Edit: Rewatching the intro, I definitely watched it when I was a kid when it was on reruns.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Mar 3, 2017

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I think forgetting that Quack Pack existed is generally a good idea.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

I mean, yeah, I know their voices. I think it's just that I haven't really heard them in years.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Xelkelvos posted:

Quack Pack doesn't count then, I guess. I had forgotten it existed until I tried to remember all of the media they were in. It ran for 1 season or 39 episodes.

Edit: Rewatching the intro, I definitely watched it when I was a kid when it was on reruns.

They have been in stuff besides quack pack. Lots of shorts and stuff involving Donald for example.

Unless you were saying that Quack pack had them with different voice actors. In which case that is true.

Waffleman_ posted:

I mean, yeah, I know their voices. I think it's just that I haven't really heard them in years.

Hey you watched Scrooge McDuck and Money on that preshow a few weeks back. That was not years ago. (Though ironically the Nephews were not voiced by Russi Taylor there.)

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Mar 3, 2017

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

I'm also glad they aren't doing much to the theme song by the sound of things. Ducktales (awoo-oo) is such an earworm that neurologists could study it to learn how the brain works.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

Hey you watched Scrooge McDuck and Money on that preshow a few weeks back. That was not years ago. (Though ironically the Nephews were not voiced by Russi Taylor there.)

Oh right, I forgot about that.

I guess I just don't mind, then.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Dipping in here to say I liked the DuckTales trailer also and think Tennant sounds great, though it's always going to be odd to hear an actual Scot having to battle with how far to throttle his accent up to work for the role.

Haven't seen anyone so far praising Kate Micucci as Webby, who I thought was the other standout in the clips in that trailer. I like the angle of her being a total wannabe-adventurer/Scrooge fangirl.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
All that talk of Miraculous made me wonder what happened to Wakfu's season 3, turns out that they ran out of money and crowdfunded the rest of season 3 three months ago with a thing they call Wakfunding where if you buy limited time cash items for their mmo it goes towards funding the season. Anyway here's a teaser from june of last year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQj_vim6I80

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Uh. She's got a knife.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Disney have been doing some drat fine work with their cartoons lately. Long may it last.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

There's been quite a few cartoons that sort of "pushed" what you can get away with cartoons in the last few years. Adventure Time, Steven Universe...even Disney's own Gravity Falls.
The question is, are they going to continue this trend? Are they willing to tarnish the image of their more classical characters for this?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

Haven't seen anyone so far praising Kate Micucci as Webby, who I thought was the other standout in the clips in that trailer. I like the angle of her being a total wannabe-adventurer/Scrooge fangirl.

I think if we had her before Mable and Star we'd be hearing more praise.

paradoxGentleman posted:

There's been quite a few cartoons that sort of "pushed" what you can get away with cartoons in the last few years. Adventure Time, Steven Universe...even Disney's own Gravity Falls.
The question is, are they going to continue this trend? Are they willing to tarnish the image of their more classical characters for this?

I think the Mickey Mouse shorts answer that one.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Mar 3, 2017

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

paradoxGentleman posted:

Not to mention Star vs's just-off-screen body count. Like the chill bug dude the spider eats in "Ludo in the Wild" or the park ranger in "Starstruck" who sinks into the mud pit and never comes back out. And is it just me or is Ludo's dad heavily implied to be an abusive husband and father?

And while I'm gushing again, I figure I should mention I like the way Daron Nefcy burned pretty much every bridge that led back to the status quo at the end there. Not only did Star tell Marco how she really felt, but between the last two episodes everyone in Mewni and Echo Creek found out, too. So even if one of them gets a convenient bout of amnesia, someone would comment on it immediately. It would take something impossibly contrived like resetting the universe for their relationship to go back to how it was, but even the guy who could do that got taken out of commission.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

paradoxGentleman posted:

Uh. She's got a knife.

I like Classic Webby's doll arrowed to the loving wall there.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Not to mention Star vs's just-off-screen body count. Like the chill bug dude the spider eats in "Ludo in the Wild" or the park ranger in "Starstruck" who sinks into the mud pit and never comes back out. And is it just me or is Ludo's dad heavily implied to be an abusive husband and father?

And while I'm gushing again, I figure I should mention I like the way Daron Nefcy burned pretty much every bridge that led back to the status quo at the end there. Not only did Star tell Marco how she really felt, but between the last two episodes everyone in Mewni and Echo Creek found out, too. So even if one of them gets a convenient bout of amnesia, someone would comment on it immediately. It would take something impossibly contrived like resetting the universe for their relationship to go back to how it was, but even the guy who could do that got taken out of commission.

Also, on-screen same-sex couples in 'Just Friends' and 'Face the Music'. That's major, especially considering that Gravity Falls couldn't get away with it as recently as two years ago.

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010

paradoxGentleman posted:

Uh. She's got a knife.

Didn't she have a pistol in one of the promotional images?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Yvonmukluk posted:

Also, on-screen same-sex couples in 'Just Friends' and 'Face the Music'. That's major, especially considering that Gravity Falls couldn't get away with it as recently as two years ago.

Wait then what were the cops then?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

Didn't she have a pistol in one of the promotional images?

Grappling Hook actually

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

ConanThe3rd posted:

Those were merely implied. People who dislike gays existing can still go "Man those cops are such good friends!"

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

ConanThe3rd posted:

There was a wafer-thin veneer of plausible deniability. Even at the end of the series where they dropped the pretense outright, they couldn't have them kiss. As opposed to SVTFOE, where a bunch of same-sex couples kissed in the background like nbd.

drrockso20 posted:

Grappling Hook actually
Grappling Hooks: the accessory every young girl should have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
For those looking for more Star Vs, there's a book coming out called "Star and Marco's Guide to Mastering Every Dimension" that apparently contains a lot of worldbuilding stuff.

I think the whole book's been leaked by now.