Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

oh SWEETS jfc America the Beautiful

I read it as "sweats" and just figured typical dumbass private bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Pesticide20 posted:

Goddamn can't even spell "went" right. I want to call bullshit but at the same time I feel like it's real.

No poo poo, a an old fat as gently caress SSG who came back in after having been out for like 7 years was my platoon sergeant when I got to Ft Lewis. He was from South Carolina, and ho-leeeee-gently caress this guy was a mouth breathing moron. He used to write my squad leader's NCOERs like that. Jesus loving Christ that guy was an idiot.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Red Cross chat: my grandmother died while I was deployed. I got a heads up that the Red Cross message was on the way, CO said no problem, we'll get you on the next bird to KAF, etc. even before it came in. With some back of the napkin math I figured out that I wouldn't have made it back in time. Even if everything went perfectly smooth and happened as quickly as possible in getting out of country (shortest possible layovers, first flight out of Atlanta), I'd have arrived after the funeral. At the same time, though, I was kind of glad because that time after the funeral when everyone's bummed out and weepy really sucks. :(

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Went to PLDC with an ASVAB waiver guy. He scored a 12. Which was an improvement over his previous score of 8. He thought he was the best engineer ever. Dude only passed because our SGL took pity on him and saw us helping him out.

Before meeting that guy I thought it was impossible to fail a military course.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

https://www.facebook.com/usawtfm/photos/a.391474713605.169598.242181938605/10155198779683606/?type=3&theater

:laugh: (I know usawtfm, but it's the only source I found)

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

it happens not unfrequently, usually in small numbers. My brigade had 6 waivers allotted one month and it was a race to call dumbasses back up for a contract. Mind you 6th Recruiting brigade covers everything west of the rockies so they were filled in about 20 seconds.

edit: Idaho has one of the worst, if not the absolute worst, education systems based on nearly every metric and we always prayed for Cat IV waivers lol, never got any

CHICKEN SHOES fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 2, 2017

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Goddamn my basic training company had 4 asvab waivers that we knew of, and the lowest was a 22 I think. Pretty sure he had, no joke, fetal alcohol syndrome. An army of 21s is terrifying.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

not caring here posted:

Goddamn my basic training company had 4 asvab waivers that we knew of, and the lowest was a 22 I think. Pretty sure he had, no joke, fetal alcohol syndrome. An army of 21s is terrifying.

did you join around the Surge?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Tail end of the surge, 2010 I think.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

not caring here posted:

Tail end of the surge, 2010 I think.

I imagine there were a lot of drat IQ waivers around then. Now they're all E5's and 6s ahaha. Glad I'm out.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Had a surge recruit fresh out of AIT show up standing crooked as gently caress. Insane kinks in his spine. Basically said he didn't think the Army would take him but one of his kids needed some stupid expensive treatment and he wanted tricare.

His kid got taken care of, Army couldn't totally fix his hosed up back, but he was medically chaptered in way better health than he showed up in with a healthy kid.

Army success story!

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Hell yeah another war is on the horizon.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Hahahahahahahahahahaha :downsowned: :vince:

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Mar 3, 2017

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

Had a surge recruit fresh out of AIT show up standing crooked as gently caress. Insane kinks in his spine. Basically said he didn't think the Army would take him but one of his kids needed some stupid expensive treatment and he wanted tricare.

His kid got taken care of, Army couldn't totally fix his hosed up back, but he was medically chaptered in way better health than he showed up in with a healthy kid.

Army success story!

He played and won! :unsmith:

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

DoktorLoken posted:

Hahahahahahahahahahaha :downsowned: :vince:

Does this mean instead of going to IRR you instead go to USAR because that's crazy as gently caress and I've never seen such a thing, or that you were immediately activated as IRR. I'm drinking and the red boxes are confusing me

edit: or your entire orders are rescinded and you just are stuck in the guard lmao either way :cheers:

CHICKEN SHOES fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Mar 3, 2017

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Icon Of Sin posted:

He played and won! :unsmith:

I kid I went through AIT with when I was reclassing got like brand new teeth, veneers and all. Probably at least $10k dental work to fix his meth mouth. If nothing else happened he made out like a bandit for that poo poo.

Note this is not accounting for the terribleness of army dentistry

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

I kid I went through AIT with when I was reclassing got like brand new teeth, veneers and all. Probably at least $10k dental work to fix his meth mouth. If nothing else happened he made out like a bandit for that poo poo.

Note this is not accounting for the terribleness of army dentistry

If you use the greencard to naturalization basic training fast track, you can get in, be naturalized at the end of basic, then show up at AIT and immediately get chaptered for refusal to train or suicidal ideation or whatever and keep your citizenship.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Jesus gently caress they're taking 21's and I couldn't get into the Army a few back because of a weed charge, couldn't apply to Army OCS once in another service due to a weed charge, and now that an Army component accepted me for transfer my parent service won't release me. Why am I not just counting down til my GI Bill and a paid graduate degree? I am so stupid :(

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Does this mean instead of going to IRR you instead go to USAR because that's crazy as gently caress and I've never seen such a thing, or that you were immediately activated as IRR. I'm drinking and the red boxes are confusing me

edit: or your entire orders are rescinded and you just are stuck in the guard lmao either way :cheers:

The rescinded orders had me entirely out of the military, no IRR. The new orders are ones transferring me to the IRR. Although I'm not even sure if that's legal given that they were generated a day after the effective date of my ETS. Oh well, tax free booze for a few years I guess.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Mike-o posted:

No poo poo, a an old fat as gently caress SSG who came back in after having been out for like 7 years was my platoon sergeant when I got to Ft Lewis. He was from South Carolina, and ho-leeeee-gently caress this guy was a mouth breathing moron. He used to write my squad leader's NCOERs like that. Jesus loving Christ that guy was an idiot.

80% of my platoon in Afghanistan was from the Ohio River Valley. I'm not exaggerating when I say that a full third of them were functionally illiterate.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

maffew buildings posted:

Jesus gently caress they're taking 21's and I couldn't get into the Army a few back because of a weed charge, couldn't apply to Army OCS once in another service due to a weed charge, and now that an Army component accepted me for transfer my parent service won't release me. Why am I not just counting down til my GI Bill and a paid graduate degree? I am so stupid :(

Why would you transfer from another service to the Army (unless it's the Marines lol)

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

DoktorLoken posted:

The rescinded orders had me entirely out of the military, no IRR. The new orders are ones transferring me to the IRR. Although I'm not even sure if that's legal given that they were generated a day after the effective date of my ETS. Oh well, tax free booze for a few years I guess.

OHHH ok, thanks for explaining it to my retarded rear end

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I think I'm going to grow a beard and try and get an ANG or Navy RAPIDS site to make me my IRR ID with it.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Weed charges sucked. Like people would try to finangle in applicants with domestic violence and poo poo, and sometimes could, theft, no big deal. Absolutely nothing you could do for a pot charge. Frustrating as gently caress that. Basically Pot and Rape were the biggest disqualifiers, and DUI after a certain amount.

I don't think pot belongs on that list :\. USMC could do pot waivers and maybe the navy so I'd always send them their way and htey'd join and then the USMC recruiters would talk mad poo poo on us for being the Army even though we sent them all our dregs and it was how they made mission lol.

edit: Also cutters was a huge NO NO too. I lost 3 applicants on the floor (basically meaning they were set up to enlist that day) due to being cutters. The absolute worst feeling when that happens.

CHICKEN SHOES fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Mar 3, 2017

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

DoktorLoken posted:

Why would you transfer from another service to the Army (unless it's the Marines lol)

Army has the job I want, Navy doesn't. I only joined the Navy because they took me with a weed charge at 31 and planned to backdoor my way in, so other than the release from service part I'm working on it's going great! Also I'm a loving idiot, so there you go

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Well, enjoy BCT as prior service if you make it over. :getin:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

i was expelled from catholic high school for selling weed to a buddy, no police charges or anything

my recruiter told me to deny everything at the station. i was his last recruit before retirement so i missed a lot of bs

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

i was expelled from catholic high school for selling weed to a buddy, no police charges or anything

my recruiter told me to deny everything at the station. i was his last recruit before retirement so i missed a lot of bs

oh yeah if it's not in a court docket or local/county/state/fed search you're golden unless you bring it up. Which people did all the time because they thought if they smidged the truth a bit they'd go to jail for 20years or w/e for literally not a crime (if you weren't charged and sentenced it wasn't a crime!)

CHICKEN SHOES fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Mar 3, 2017

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I peed in a cup every week for three weeks til I passed and then I signed my contract.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

my recruiter also told me to drink cranberry juice

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Recruiters are unironically awesome.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy
Combatives is hands down the most fun/least gay Army thing I've ever done. Surprised the army hasn't ruined that yet.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I saw a career or two get ruined by injuries caused from it :lol:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

cravius posted:

Combatives is hands down the most fun/least gay Army thing I've ever done. Surprised the army hasn't ruined that yet.

They ruin it by training a bunch of overzealous E5s and O3s who've watched too many UFC fites to go out and teach stupid techniques that get people injured.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

my recruiter also told me to drink cranberry juice

This poo poo doesn't work, i cannot confirm or deny that a recruiter may have given a kid one of those clean pee drinks and a stern warning right before he went to MEPs.

psydude posted:

They ruin it by training a bunch of overzealous E5s and O3s who've watched too many UFC fites to go out and teach stupid techniques that get people injured.

This. The actual 40 hour course that only people a level above can instruct are great; the loving piece of poo poo hip pocket level one classes are gay and bad.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
i took a pretty solid left hook during the clinch drill.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Basically Pot and Rape were the biggest disqualifiers, and DUI after a certain amount.

Yeah, the army definitely prefers to work with fresh clay.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

cravius posted:

lmao, my first "real" exposure to combatives was some PTSD-addled psychopath Level 3 captain just sending multiple LTs to the hospital while enabling NCOs tried to say it wasn't his fault that he felt the need to say "YOU'RE MY HUCKLEBERRY" before breaking people facial bones and ear drums because they weren't fighting hard enough, in his opinion.

It also was fuckin' weird when a woman basically asked several of us to use certain attacks and when she lost, she'd cry. She later revealed that was how her rapist got the drop on her :catstare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

Wasabi the J posted:

This poo poo doesn't work, i cannot confirm or deny that a recruiter may have given a kid one of those clean pee drinks and a stern warning right before he went to MEPs.

This. The actual 40 hour course that only people a level above can instruct are great; the loving piece of poo poo hip pocket level one classes are gay and bad.

Yeah the actual courses are what I'm referring too