Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

Small things from the last episode:

Ex-girlfriend Philly was wearing earrings like the circle ladder when Syd and Ptonomy were in the travel agency. She knows "they are watching."

In a flashback scene to David, Philly, and Poole in the kitchen sharing our, she is wearing a headband with circles like the ladder.

Questions:

Who is the dude in the vines at clockworks?

Is Kissinger a victim or an agent of division 3?

Why are dogs so heavily involved in the series if King never was?

Suppositions:

Lenny (female) was real at clockworks. Syd has seen her before she and David switched powers. TYED has convoluted davids memories and now he thinks it's Lenny, not benny, in his past experiences.

TYED is "wearing" a Lenny skin to now communicate with David, and this disguise is "safe" to him so he doesn't question it much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

fork bomb posted:

Suppositions:

Lenny (female) was real at clockworks. Syd has seen her before she and David switched powers. TYED has convoluted davids memories and now he thinks it's Lenny, not benny, in his past experiences.

TYED is "wearing" a Lenny skin to now communicate with David, and this disguise is "safe" to him so he doesn't question it much.

I think Benny was turned into Lenny as some kind of, like they said, "guard dog." Likely by memory alteration and not him just being nuts.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

mikeraskol posted:

I'm so pissed you got that avatar idea first. I've been due for a change for a while and loving love that frog image.

It's times like this I miss forum gangs, then everyone could rock the frog.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

I think Lenny may never have been real. I mean, I think she was a real patient and died. But the Lenny we know, the Twizzler sharing, headphone blastin', overalls in dreams Lenny is like David's dog, King. As a kid, he could say he had a dog that followed him around and he could talk to him. As an adult, he's talking to Lenny who isn't real and is just TYED.

Benny was real and TYED probably convoluted his memory to keep control of David at Clockworks. That's his endgame, I think. To fully control David.

Pan Dulce fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Mar 3, 2017

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
dis fukken show right here

Pan Dulce posted:

Benny was real and TYED probably convoluted his memory to keep control of David at Clockworks. That's his endgame, I think. To fully control David.

Here's something fun: Did any of the inmates ever acknowledge Lenny or interact with her in any way, shape, or form? It's entirely possible she was the TYED that only David could see, and that Syd actually beat the poo poo out of him and bisected him in David's mind when she took the wheel.

Or maybe none of this actually happened and we're all inside David's head

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Seriously though eventually David's going to figure out TYED's presence in his head and boot him out, and the fight scene is going to be incredible. Just two big ol God level telepaths goin' full ham on each other for a good 15 minutes. :allears:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Chokes McGee posted:

Here's something fun: Did any of the inmates ever acknowledge Lenny or interact with her in any way, shape, or form? It's entirely possible she was the TYED that only David could see, and that Syd actually beat the poo poo out of him and bisected him in David's mind when she took the wheel.

I wanna say yes, she talks to Syd at one point before they touch and swap bodies?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Holy poo poo I just realized something.

TYED is morbidly obese, right? in the comics that's kind of Shadow King's thing

doesn't Benny look kind of ... husky

Is it possible he got transferred from host to host?

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007
Oh man the dog's name is king.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Can some wizard make an avatar size gif of Lenny saying "I'm you, I'm me, I'm everything you want to be" with her little shoulder shake? I want that in me.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
I assumed the point of Lenny talking and sitting like a middle aged man at the asylum was because that was Benny the entire time, and we only see Benny as a girl named Lenny in those scenes because thats what David sees. Syd and the Doc see this friend of David's but never refer to them by name or reference a gender so they have just seen Benny around the place.

The only part where that gets weird and could add up is if Syd knows she killed a friend, but would have to think the person in David's memories is a different friend and not "David and his friend both were committed to the same asylum after getting caught/arrested together"

but anyway sifting through a person's memories seems really fun, like you just catch a thread while playing one memory and follow it into a different memory

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004
Having skimmed the wiki for the X-Men character Legion I think I can guess part of what is going on. The real test will be rewatching after the first season to see what clues there were in the pilot.

night slime
May 14, 2014
Just saw there's a funny part in the first episode with the baby at the beginning. Watch it carefully.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

night slime posted:

Just saw there's a funny part in the first episode with the baby at the beginning. Watch it carefully.

you mean young david levitating off from his bed right?

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Dark Off posted:

you mean young david levitating off from his bed right?

I can't tell if I'm getting whooshed or not here.

Why would that be what he's talking about? That's super obvious and the main focus of the eye in the scene, he is clearly referencing something else.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Each time I think I have this show figured out it just gets weirder. Between the diving suit guy and the body-sharing mutants and whatever the hell The Eye is/can do, I'm really not sure how they're gonna tie this whole thing up in the end.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
You guys really don't need to spoil poo poo that already happened, especially if it wouldn't be a spoiler in the first place.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

night slime posted:

It's the first appearance of TYED as a tiny doll next to him, there's an extended slow fade where it rolls over to face the camera.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

There's a creepy sound it makes too.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Henchman of Santa posted:

There's a creepy sound it makes too.

Oh wow, good catch.

Lenny is so good, she really worked the Crazy Eyes schtick so hard this episode. :swoon: "Why are all the hot ones SO CRAZY"

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Blazing Ownager posted:

I think Benny was turned into Lenny as some kind of, like they said, "guard dog." Likely by memory alteration and not him just being nuts.

These things are not mutually exclusive.

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007
Lenny has a line about "girl stuff" in the first episode which apparently is a good enough excuse to get Kisenger to step away.

That could be handwaved unreliable narrator though.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Grem posted:

Can some wizard make an avatar size gif of Lenny saying "I'm you, I'm me, I'm everything you want to be" with her little shoulder shake? I want that in me.

I don't know how to compress and cut up gifs, but I found the part itself if you want to fiddle with it:

A smaller one with the shoulder shimmy, but not the entire line:

Pan Dulce fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 3, 2017

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I'm pretty sure Lenny was indeed real, but only the one at the psychiatric center. There's probably a reason why she was the only one killed, and it was because the Shadow King didn't like her being so close to David.

So then the Shadow King started to change David's memories around and also appear to him in a less-threatening version than as the Demon with Yellow Eyes, so he could get David to trust him more and open up more of his powers. Replacing Benny with Lenny to earn even more trust as it seemed that he had known her longer. Seems as if he's spent David's entire life trying to be his best friend/confidant to keep building David and his own powers up. First the teddy bear, then the dog, and then David's only and best friend.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I always thought the XMen references in this thread wer eosme dumb joke. Are you guys telling me this show is based on a comic book?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

They have Chris Evans and Robert Downey Jr. lined up for the finale.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I always thought the XMen references in this thread wer eosme dumb joke. Are you guys telling me this show is based on a comic book?

The comic storylines involving Legion are dumb and bad. Avoid them at all costs because at best, they are going to give away mild spoilers about the show so far.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Grinning Goblin posted:

The comic storylines involving Legion are dumb and bad. Avoid them at all costs because at best, they are going to give away mild spoilers about the show so far.

While I haven't read a lot of Legion comics (and reading all of Claremont's 20+ year run is probably nearly impossible) , the recent X-Men Legacy: Legion by Simon Spurrier is a really good series. Even though it is connected to the larger Marvel Universe, it is mainly doing its own thing. I can't say the show is taking much from that run since Legion is a clearly established character in the Marvel Universe and that series gives him some level of control over his power.

Spidder
Jan 9, 2005
How are the X-Men not the hugest thing ever now? A franchise about superheroes-as-minorities should be KILLING it right now. Are the people responsible for the films making them bad on purpose or how can this be?

Good thing this series is separate from that clusterfuck.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Spidder posted:

How are the X-Men not the hugest thing ever now? A franchise about superheroes-as-minorities should be KILLING it right now. Are the people responsible for the films making them bad on purpose or how can this be?

Good thing this series is separate from that clusterfuck.

Have you seen any of the movies? They're huge blockbusters netting massive amounts of money.

X-Men: Days of Future Past
Budget $200 million
Box office $747.9 million

Deadpool
Budget $58 million
Box office $783.1 million

X-Men: Apocalypse
Budget $178 million
Box office $543.9 million

Spidder
Jan 9, 2005

Tigren posted:

Have you seen any of the movies? They're huge blockbusters netting massive amounts of money.

I've seen them all. They were terrible (except Deadpool, which was good) and I'm surprised they made so much money.
Imagine if they were decent...

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I can't figure out what makes them so bad, but I hated all of them except Deadpool.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

HERAK posted:

Having skimmed the wiki for the X-Men character Legion I think I can guess part of what is going on. The real test will be rewatching after the first season to see what clues there were in the pilot.

"I am Leigon, for I am many"

As others have posted, I think he is going to be this confusing blob of characters, manufactured, copied, captured or otherwise imagined, or as a host for parasites. If so, this would be a writers ultimate blank easel to create different things with every week.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Oliver seemed pretty on the ball. He posited One Monster Per Unquiet Mind, David sorta ignored it or has wholly forgotten TYED. Is his monster just chilling in Astral Limbo or?

I can't figure out King Lenny's motivations. She seems to have a more complete view of the real world, enough to show David when something that would affect him (sister trapped, Syd's body in the Eye's grasp) but shouldn't have sent him so close to an attempted assassination if she's got stuff to do.

lokipunk posted:

Lenny has a line about "girl stuff" in the first episode which apparently is a good enough excuse to get Kisenger to step away.

That could be handwaved unreliable narrator though.
Kissenger also indicated she should remove the headphones in group. Division was alerted to the presence when Syd had his body/powers, it's a real stretch to make him a Division agent instead of real doctor swept up when they found David.

I like FX putting on the same ep right after it finishes. Always feels like something's been recontextualized by the end. I halfway want to re-watch the entire series after some of these reveals.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I have to say anyone who watched without 5.1 surround sound really missed it out in the astral plane scenes.

The constant crackling of ice that surrounded you was really immersive.

If this show doesn't win an Emmy for sound mixing, it will be a travesty. I've never heard a soundtrack like this on TV.

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
The gay undercurrent of David being Lenny's catamite was actually tastefully inferred, instead of just showing rough scenes of homosexuality.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

lokipunk posted:

Oh man the dog's name is king.

We saw the dog get murdered though?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Nevvy Z posted:

We saw the dog get murdered though?

He never had a dog.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

verdigris murder posted:

The gay undercurrent of David being Lenny's catamite was actually tastefully inferred, instead of just showing rough scenes of homosexuality.

Violent molestation being the deep dark thing he doesn't want anyone to know about and manifesting as really hosed up mental issues and fractured reality would actually make a whole lot of sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I like the actor who plays David, is he in anything else that's good?