Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Loopoo posted:

Why did you all bother with preorders?

Because I have Amazon Prime so I get the release-day delivery for free (unless that's just a thing they do? I've never done an Amazon pre-order before), the closest store that would sell a Switch is about 30 miles away with no public transportation (That's relatively leisurely, I know, but I'm lazy and the city has awful traffic. You wouldn't expect a city with a population of 20k to have worse traffic than cities 100 times it's size, but it somehow manages.) and I live in a relatively low population area so if I don't pre-order and I'm not one of the first 3 or 4 people I'm probably not getting it for a little bit

quote:

Are any of you experiencing frame drops in BotW? It happens a lot when I'm attacking stuff, I guess cause of all the particle effects. Really ruins immersion.

I had some issues while playing on the TV in specific areas, but after that started being uncomfortable for my eyes (too far away from a too small TV) and I started playing Mobile-style I've had no framerate issues at all, plus it still looks great and my eyes aren't feeling the need to just stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3THavMxNDE

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

Yawgmoft posted:

Where do you guys strolling in and getting a Switch live? I tried that here (NYC) with absolutely no luck, despite heavy market saturation. Hopefully everyone gets restocked soon...

DC area; went to a Target along my commute this morning.

Went to a Walmart last night trying to get one; they had 28 preorders and only 18 extra stock.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

LethalGeek posted:

Idk this has kinda been the case for the last several iterations of any 3D console. Oh sweet the old stuff is hella cheap look at all this stuff I never played.

I mean the money from the games they buy goes to Nintendo but it's not exactly the same. BOTW is not helping to move the Switch as much as it could obviously.

Rexroom posted:

That's OK. As long as they're on Nintendo's platform, the potential of them switching to the Switch will be bigger.

Yeah. One of my oldest friend is a "Playstation only gently caress those kiddy games" grumpy dude who just digital bought Tropical Freeze on my suggestion and is now flabbergasted at how good the game feels and how hard it is to complete 100%. He's giving a chance to the Switch now.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Kawabata posted:

Nope, see every comparison video from the last 24 hours.

Oh, the comparison video I saw was showing two different times. I didn't know BOTW had dynamic times of day. :downs:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Infinitum posted:

Just remember to lick the carts to ensure it's an official Nintendo product

If it tastes like poo poo, you know you're on a winner :v:

unironically can't wait until the future where bootleg Switch carts are everywhere on eBay and people have to lick carts to test authenticity.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Kawabata posted:

I mean the money from the games they buy goes to Nintendo but it's not exactly the same. BOTW is not helping to move the Switch as much as it could obviously.

The alternative would have been to release it exclusively for the Switch and piss off every Wii U owner enough to not buy the system or the game. I wonder what the attach rate for Zelda is. Every person I saw getting a Switch this morning bought at least Zelda and I can only assume anyone who buys the system without Zelda is just going to get it digitally.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Well after a few hours of sleep, it's back to Zelda. Already this morning I've had the left Joycon not even pair with the switch after removal from the dock (having just used handheld mode to enter a Snipperclippers code.) It just acted like it was looking for the Switch. After it stopped looking a second attempt caused it to connect but that was worrying.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bloodplay it again posted:

The alternative would have been to release it exclusively for the Switch and piss off every Wii U owner enough to not buy the system or the game. I wonder what the attach rate for Zelda is. Every person I saw getting a Switch this morning bought at least Zelda and I can only assume anyone who buys the system without Zelda is just going to get it digitally.

Some of the third party launch games look fun as heck (I'm gonna buy GOTY Snipperclips and Fast RMX and possibly even the Japanese Puyo Puyo Tetris later today) but if you're buying a Switch today and not getting BotW I don't even know.

Derised
Jun 16, 2008

Is it safe to assume that the Switch's eShop doesn't have (nor will it ever have) any wiiu/wii titles available?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Derised posted:

Is it safe to assume that the Switch's eShop doesn't have (nor will it ever have) any wiiu/wii titles available?

It doesn't have anything like Wii U's "Wii Channel" or whatever, if that's what you mean. That doesn't mean they won't port things forward, though. Lego City Underground is already in the pipeline for Switch, and that was a Wii U launch title.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Derised posted:

Key Wii U titles are getting sequels/rereleases (stuff like Paper Mario: Color Splash probably won't), and even if a game is available on both titles (Shovel Knight) you'll have to buy the Switch version.

Wii VC is unlikely to happen because of the lack of a sensor bar/Wiimote support, though those could be patched in down the line.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
A wiiu virtual console would be pretty good
Botw wiiu version upscaled to 900p

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Zelda is making me want one of these things real bad all of a sudden but like usual Nintendos conservative stance on production might lose its hype window with me.

SenseLess
May 4, 2007

Mine got delivered an hour ago but i probably won't open it until tomorrow because i have a life to work late.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Invalid Validation posted:

Zelda is making me want one of these things real bad all of a sudden but like usual Nintendos conservative stance on production might lose its hype window with me.

Get it for the WiiU. Then you have a huge catalog of good games along with saving a bunch of money, whether you have a WiiU right now or not.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

deadly_pudding posted:

It doesn't have anything like Wii U's "Wii Channel" or whatever, if that's what you mean. That doesn't mean they won't port things forward, though. Lego City Underground is already in the pipeline for Switch, and that was a Wii U launch title.

Lego City Underground is being rereleased for every console.

Invalid Validation posted:

There are millions of these things available off the shelf.

Don't buy one though.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

There are millions of these things available off the shelf.

Don't buy one though.

I had no qualms about buying a Switch. I bought my Wii U at retail on launch, sold it about 3 months ago for next to the same price. It would have cost me 50 or so quid that I would have been out of pocket, but that's drat worth it for 2 years of enjoyment. Could have sold it for higher, but I felt like that was a scummy thing to do, especially since it was just before Christmas.

So my plan with the Switch is: keep it in mint condition, don't get rid of the box. Sell it down the line if I get bored with it / it doesn't deliver. I could get close to retail price for it, especially if it's like new.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

I weirdly almost wanted the Zelda reviews to say you must play on Switch to force me into getting one. As is I will probably wait till there is a must have game not out on a console I own. :(

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Loopoo posted:

I had no qualms about buying a Switch. I bought my Wii U at retail on launch, sold it about 3 months ago for next to the same price. It would have cost me 50 or so quid that I would have been out of pocket, but that's drat worth it for 2 years of enjoyment. Could have sold it for higher, but I felt like that was a scummy thing to do, especially since it was just before Christmas.

So my plan with the Switch is: keep it in mint condition, don't get rid of the box. Sell it down the line if I get bored with it / it doesn't deliver. I could get close to retail price for it, especially if it's like new.

And that's fine but I mean Zelda's a bit of a unique case. If that's all the guy wants it for, there's a better option.

zerokunami
Apr 29, 2009
I failed to preorder one on Amazon and was pretty bummed out but my wife somehow ordered one on Amazon Prime Now this morning at 7:30 and it arrived at the house at 9:45. It's going to be a long day...

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
Popped into Target, picked up a Switch and Zelda. GG EZ.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
An Amazon truck overturned today in Nashville, spilling packages out onto the interstate. So if you're in the South and delayed suddenly, welp.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Trip report:

My awesome (and pregnant) wife, who I don't deserve, and who happens to be off Fridays, agreed to go to Target when they opened and try to snag me a BotW Special Edition. She said they had a ton and they had a ton of Switches with virtually nobody getting them. Success.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

zelda is here. switch soon i hope. work still not finished cause I run to the window every time i hear a truck.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
Got my neon. Zelda and 1-2 Switch don't come until Monday, but I've got stuff to do this weekend. Just messing around with the console itself it seems really nice. I'm hyped.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Onean posted:

Because I have Amazon Prime so I get the release-day delivery for free (unless that's just a thing they do? I've never done an Amazon pre-order before), the closest store that would sell a Switch is about 30 miles away with no public transportation (That's relatively leisurely, I know, but I'm lazy and the city has awful traffic. You wouldn't expect a city with a population of 20k to have worse traffic than cities 100 times it's size, but it somehow manages.) and I live in a relatively low population area so if I don't pre-order and I'm not one of the first 3 or 4 people I'm probably not getting it for a little bit

Amazon for me because of origin based sales tax. I live in Chicago, so I pay 6% on Amazon rather than 10+% from buying in the city or surrounding suburbs. For me, I saved $16.72 in sales tax + $12.48 on Zelda because of the 20% off. So $29.20 purely from buying from Amazon and getting it SOMETIME within the day, while I'm working anyway.

Plus... I'm sitting on a ton of Amazon Gift Cards, so it was practically free.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Astro7x posted:

Amazon for me because of origin based sales tax. I live in Chicago, so I pay 6% on Amazon rather than 10+% from buying in the city or surrounding suburbs. For me, I saved $16.72 in sales tax + $12.48 on Zelda because of the 20% off. So $29.20 purely from buying from Amazon and getting it SOMETIME within the day, while I'm working anyway.

Plus... I'm sitting on a ton of Amazon Gift Cards, so it was practically free.

Yeah at this point between my Amazon rewards card and the Prime pre order bonus, I can't remember the last time I got a game not there.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Zelda is incredible you guys

roadhead
Dec 25, 2001

Didn't make it to the local line-up in time to get a number for the midnight release at the Gamestop, (saw 42nd St at local university and then ate dinner with in-laws and nephew) - so I bought Zelda digitally on the U before going to bed.

Now I see my local Target has stock, if I show up in person. Get there JUST as the cage of switches is being wheeled into the games area to be put in the case :)

Now, am I crazy or are there only four launch titles?

I got 1-2 Switch since the HD rumble intrigues me the most but, this really feels like a "pre-launch preview" or something.

Also only 1 other person was there at the exact time I was, and there had at least a dozen systems.

All the gamestops/bestbuys in town had huge lines last night though?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
After being on customer service call for an hour I managed to get a supervisor and now my switch is out for delivery. Hell yes bitch

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Went to walmart before coming to work to snag a pro controller. Did so. Guy working said they had more people waiting in line than stock they got for the midnight launch which was 'a bunch'. People started lining up at 8PM, He was surprised that MOST people didn't buy Zelda or any game, and only 2 people bought pro controllers.

So add to the anecdote list.
1. Its selling well. And not in the NES Classic we sold all 4 we put on the shelf sense.
2. Lots of people going digital.

VVV Kismet Post :same:goon

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Mar 3, 2017

Chris Christie
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Strolled into Wal-Mart just now with my son and snagged a Pro Controller.

They also had consoles and copies of Zelda.

Guess I shouldn't have bothered with preorders for those. Now I have to wait on UPS to show up.

Rural American superiority strikes again. #1 in BBQ, Diabetes, crippling poverty, and video game supply exceeding demand.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

The REAL Goobusters posted:

After being on customer service call for an hour I managed to get a supervisor and now my switch is out for delivery. Hell yes bitch

Was this through Amazon? Mine is still showing as preparing shipment and chat rep said it's still guaranteed for delivery today. :ohdear:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Not a Children posted:

Can someone please tell me if USB headphones work with the dock?

Lol no loving way.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Was this through Amazon? Mine is still showing as preparing shipment and chat rep said it's still guaranteed for delivery today. :ohdear:

Are you in a big city with same day amazon? I used to live in San Diego last year and if I ordered something by 11AM it would show up at about 7:00 that night. If they have that infrastructure near you then good news bad news, its gonna be in the evening.

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president
is anyone having issues with the wifi?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I had to go to bed right after I bought my switch last night

this is going to be such a long day at work omg

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I am at my local Target and spotted their inventory list.

52 Grey consoles and 21 Neon, if anyone is curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
Still 2 and a half hours before BB opens here, slow burn at work makes it a hard wait.

• Locked thread