Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Hi_Bears posted:

I'm sure this has been asked before so sorry for the repeat, but I need specific ideas for entertaining a 13 month old on a 6 hour flight. A lot of the ideas I come across are for older kids who can color or do sticker activities. I don't think my son is quite there yet since he still puts everything in his mouth. I'm buying cheap toys, new lift the flap board books, and bringing things like tin foil and post it notes. Anything else that worked for you?

Also - we are going to bring an ipad with some videos just in case. Are there any good apps/games for his age?

And... thoughts on drugging him with benadryl? It's our first time flying with him so I am obviously nervous.

Are you nursing him? If so do that. A lot. Otherwise... lots of snacks? My daughter wasn't really into the iPad at that age, for all that she's an addict now at 2.5. Your best bet is to feed him into a stupor and get him to sleep.

I wouldn't drug, but mainly because I had a dog who always has a paradoxical reaction to that stuff and went insane at 30,000 feet. Now I'm gun-shy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

cailleask posted:

Are you nursing him? If so do that. A lot. Otherwise... lots of snacks? My daughter wasn't really into the iPad at that age, for all that she's an addict now at 2.5. Your best bet is to feed him into a stupor and get him to sleep.

I wouldn't drug, but mainly because I had a dog who always has a paradoxical reaction to that stuff and went insane at 30,000 feet. Now I'm gun-shy.

No, we weaned recently. But he does love his cow milk so maybe I'll let him have more of that (esp for take off and landing).

If we do drug we would definitely have to do a test run beforehand, as I've heard the same - that it can make some kids hyper.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Hi_Bears posted:

Also - we are going to bring an ipad with some videos just in case. Are there any good apps/games for his age?

Mine loved the block placing games at this age, could do it for hours if we let him. But if it dies or we took it away from him, it was nightmarish, so uh.. big caution flag there. Best for the final leg of the trip.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

BonoMan posted:

However she won't say I love you. She knows what it means and has said it before (literally MAYBE a handful of times in the past). She will also parrot any gibberish you ask her to for fun. But if you ask her to say I love you... She just shuts down and totally ignores you.

Does my child in fact not love me?

Serious answer is in sure it's just a concept she doesn't understand thus won't say. But man the way she says literally anything you ask her to say BUT that is strange.

Do I own a robot?

My two and a half year old is also an "I love you" holdout but I'm pretty sure he's being an imp. He giggles at me when I try to get him to say it.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

BonoMan posted:

Serious answer is in sure it's just a concept she doesn't understand thus won't say. But man the way she says literally anything you ask her to say BUT that is strange.

She doesn't know what it means, but she probably has realized by now it's a safe way to not do something trivial you want in a way that has no consequences! A nice, safe way to rebel a bit.

I have found that any sort of minor holdout like that can be overcome pretty quickly by modeling and enthusiasm. Do you and your spouse say it to each other back and forth a couple times, and then exaggerate how happy you are when it happens, acting really happy to get to say it back and maybe doing it back and forth a few times? Demonstrate an interaction where both participants are happy to be party of it and the baby is left out unless they say it too, letting the child convince themselves to do it rather than you trying to convince them.

Might be worth a try, or more likely you've already tried it and it didn't work I guess. :v:

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Hi_Bears posted:

No, we weaned recently. But he does love his cow milk so maybe I'll let him have more of that (esp for take off and landing).

If we do drug we would definitely have to do a test run beforehand, as I've heard the same - that it can make some kids hyper.

Do you have a pacifier or a bottle? There's something magic about the sucking action that seems to really help, especially with ears during the pressure changes.

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

GlyphGryph posted:

Mine loved the block placing games at this age, could do it for hours if we let him. But if it dies or we took it away from him, it was nightmarish, so uh.. big caution flag there. Best for the final leg of the trip.

Thanks! Is there a specific app I should look for?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Hi_Bears posted:

Thanks! Is there a specific app I should look for?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.appquiz.Baby_Blocks&hl=en

I think that was the one he liked the most and the earliest, but if you put in "baby block puzzle" anything that comes up will probably be fine. Some intersperse the puzzles with harder matching games, but mine sort of liked those too (he didn't really understand the point, just new he flipped things over randomly and they made sounds and eventually they went away)

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

n8r posted:

This cpma thing. Is there any science behind behavioral issues with it? I had horrible stuffy nose constantly when I was younger, and cutting out milk fixed it. I'm not finding anything talking about milk allergies affecting behavior.

No it's not. It's a catch all for your child has stomach issues and we don't know why. Hell I imagine the term colic will go out of use once more studies come out backing that acid reflux = colic. I wonder if there is a correlation between vaginal delivery versus Cesarean section and cmpa with regards to gut flora.

Tom Swift Jr. posted:

So, I learned about Montessori in my Undergrad program and was doing some research into various schooling options recently. Based on best practices, Montessori gets a lot of things right, but it also gets some things wrong. A lot of people (including myself) like the emphasis on self-help skills, the emphasis on learning peace and empathy, the child-led approach (the kids are free to choose to play with whatever they want), and the idea of respecting the child. The good news, is that these are best practices and are generally done in any good program these days.

Anytime I see the whole I learned about Montessori teaching methods I wonder why they never mention that the original purpose was to help lower income urban children who were being left alone while parents had to work. That's kind of the whole reason for mixed ages and building life skills emphasis. Your kid's will definitely develop these skills just by watching you if you are around and engaging them. Seems like it's unnecessary to stress over something that will have such little impact and as long as your child is receiving safe and adequate care with any caregiver they will flourish.

Since I'm ranting I might as well go ahead and say never let your young child use a tablet. Hell even old kids are being hosed by technology. I wish doctors were more straightforward about it but of course they are too worried about offending patients. I sat through 8 hours of presentations on the findings on technology use and children holy gently caress it doesn't look good.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Since I'm ranting I might as well go ahead and say never let your young child use a tablet. Hell even old kids are being hosed by technology. I wish doctors were more straightforward about it but of course they are too worried about offending patients. I sat through 8 hours of presentations on the findings on technology use and children holy gently caress it doesn't look good.

Care to share the details?

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Yeah give me sometime to find the journal articles. I think the keynote from the aap annual conference is finally available to the public. The issue with older kids and technology deals with sleep patterns and tech habits. If there is any interest I can drop the article links for the next conference in October when I go again

If you want to google each presentation you can probably find them, here is a list of them http://www.aappublications.org/news/2016/07/28/CME072816

The only presentation that deviated from the other ones was "Screens and the Developing Brain" by Dimitri Christakis, M.D., M.P.H., FAAP

Dude believed that tv was worse than tablets but that was only if you sat with your child the whole time they used an iPad and essentially narrated and interacted with them. I could be wrong but I don't think I ever met a parent that did that

DangerZoneDelux fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Mar 4, 2017

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Yeah,except we are talking about on a plane.
Give the guy a break if he needs to spend a couple hours using a screen to keep his kid content on an airplane where options are limited.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Well, on the one hand: if you need to keep a kid entertained for a long duration, a tablet or whatever *might* work. This also depends on the kid.

Bringing a bunch of surprise toys you take out one by one is also an alternative. Puzzles, long books, etc. Also talking to the other folks on the plane, etc. Most kids are entertaining to other people and entertained by them in like. People have done long travel with kids before tablets were a thing, so surely they did something.

The thing is though, if you try to minimize giving your kid too much screen time in general and then give the kid an airplane flight's worth? They're going to expect it from now on and/or want it that much more from now on, because kids are not stupid and know how much fun tablets are. There is a long term impact to the short term decision.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Mar 4, 2017

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

sheri posted:

Yeah,except we are talking about on a plane.
Give the guy a break if he needs to spend a couple hours using a screen to keep his kid content on an airplane where options are limited.

I wasn't referencing the plane use. It was a general comment on tablet use

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
I'm worried my kid is missing out on essential hoop and stick experience. Where can I enroll him to develop these important physical coordination skills?

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
My husband and I traveled internationally with three little kids TWICE last year, once from LAX-Brisbane rt and once from LAX-Dublin rt. Here is what worked for us:

We traveled Delta, which offers early boarding for families with small children and has USB charging ports at every seat on the plane even the cheap seats! We made sure to pack twice as many chargers as tablets, in case chargers died during the trip. We had cheap chargers, they die a lot. We made sure all electronic devices were charged before each flight. Every kid had a pair of comfortable headphones and a tablet. We had a backpack of snacks and coloring books, crayons, little toys, etc. We never really used that backpack. I pre-downloaded a ton of free Amazon kid games and TV shows available on Prime to our tablets, there's a 30-day rental period for lots of stuff like Bubble Guppies and Sesame Street. I used expiring Amazon digital credits for stuff like Toy Story short movies, the Pixar short movie collection was recently on sale for $3 so I grabbed it for any future travel we do.

We had a nightmare itinerary, SFO-LAX-SYD-BRISBANE that lasted over 24 hours each way and the worst thing that happened was getting delayed in the first leg out which made our luggage delayed arriving in Brisbane. And the kids literally pissed themselves, as we were stuck on the tarmac on departure and arrival, with the seatbelt sign on. And they never turned it off during the short flight. That was fun. Based on that nightmare, on our return flight and all future flights we made sure to pack multiple changes of clothes for the kids and one for each of us on our carry ons.

We gave each kid either a backpack to wear or a small roller bag to bring on the plane. Every time there was a break in the bathroom line or when they woke from a nap on the plane, we took them to the bathroom. One parent was always awake when the other slept, in case our stinker 2-year old slipped out of his seatbelt again and ran down the aisle. We are a family of 5, so I made sure we were booked on adjacent rows, often 2 seats by the window and 3 in the center aisle. Each parent swapped sitting with the youngest kids for each leg of the flight, trying to make it as fair as possible. It also depended on the kids' preferences, my youngest was on a Daddy-only streak until he realized asking for the other parent on the flight got him extra attention and annoyed us a ton passing him across aisles and stuff. Our 2-year old was awake for 9 of the 14 hours of the longhaul from LAX-SYD. It was nuts! He just wanted to run around, flirt with flight attendants, eat pretzels and annoy his sleepy parents.

We were traveling internationally, and carseat standards are different from the US standard so we just rented stuff locally. Each place had our stuff either already installed in our rental car when we picked it up at the airport, or they met us there to install everything and adjust the straps and stuff. We brought a crappy umbrella stroller for the youngest, which we actually accidentally left at the airport but were too annoyed to go back and retrieve it.

I think the thing that worked best for us was the kids don't use tablets normally. They hadn't had much exposure before these flights, so they weren't bored with them or anything. The youngest really didn't care for them, he'd rather watch the seatback videos or bug his siblings.

People thought we were nuts to travel with such a big group. I figured as long as we were first on the plane, then last off, and were respectful of the people around us and kept the kids quiet and in their seats not kicking or punching other seats around them...I also made sure we introduced ourselves to the flight attendants working our section, to have the kids learn their name in case they needed anything or got lost on the plane or something, and to ingratiate ourselves to them for extra snacks or in-flight meals or other goodies. We had such great adventures, and the kids keep talking about going back, so I figure all the temporary hassle was worth the lifetime of memories.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Jesus CHRIST bedtime just became a challenge, dude is now 16 months old and yesterday screamed bloody murder when i tried to put him to bed. He's normally golden boy but unless he's suddenly afraid of the dark you'd think the tazmanian devil was in his cot, despite the whole return after 5 then 10 minutes to pick him and put him down trick I eventually grabbed him and curled up on my bed which made him clam down soon enough.

He's done the same thing this evening, drat kids and their "Phases"

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Exact same thing happened to us two nights in a row this past week. Luckily that's all it was, but man what a rude shock after months of going down great.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

We've traveled involving airplanes four times with my three and a half year old. We just got back yesterday from a trip actually!

I suggest: snacks, snacks, electronic device of some type, masking or painters tape to stick on you/kids/parts of planes, new books if they are into books, snacks, and new toys.

sheri fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Mar 5, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

FunOne posted:

I'm worried my kid is missing out on essential hoop and stick experience. Where can I enroll him to develop these important physical coordination skills?

No joke but hoop and stick is genuinely fun imo and a good part of calvinball style games. So is poor mans bowling and throwing/slingshotting rocks to knock over cans and a lot of the other old timey lawn sports that have fallen out of fashion.

Mix it with some skateboarding of course.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

GlyphGryph posted:

No joke but hoop and stick is genuinely fun imo and a good part of calvinball style games. So is poor mans bowling and throwing/slingshotting rocks to knock over cans and a lot of the other old timey lawn sports that have fallen out of fashion.

Mix it with some skateboarding of course.

One of my fondest childhood memories is getting nailed in the forehead by an aluminum tent pole thrown javelin style by my friend trying to hit soda cans we had lined up. I lost consciousness and my "friends" ran back to their house, later watching terrified from the window as their apparently reanimated, blood covered, zombie friend stumbled out of the barn and made his way home.

I can't tell if that's better or worse than my dad's story of his friend peppering his back with birdshot. The story being corroborated by my grandmother who had picked the shot out with tweezers and patched him up.

My wife is due in 2.5 months and I'm terrified of the sterile, tablet-infested existence that my child will be born into.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

LogisticEarth posted:

My wife is due in 2.5 months and I'm terrified of the sterile, tablet-infested existence that my child will be born into.

You are in complete control over the sterility and infestation level of his world for quite a while, so don't be scared - just don't let it happen!

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

GlyphGryph posted:

You are in complete control over the sterility and infestation level of his world for quite a while, so don't be scared - just don't let it happen!

Oh I know, I was half-joking. My wife and I both work in conservation/outdoor education and our circle of friends is very much the outdoorsy/gardening/hiking/get-dirty types. And we don't even own a tablet.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
What's the guideline for rear-facing seats and the kid's feet hitting the seat? We've been using the Graco recommended to me earlier in the thread for a few weeks, and my daughter has to fold her legs or she'll be kicking the seat. She's not particularly tall for her age or weight.

tuna melt
Mar 28, 2010

hooah posted:

What's the guideline for rear-facing seats and the kid's feet hitting the seat? We've been using the Graco recommended to me earlier in the thread for a few weeks, and my daughter has to fold her legs or she'll be kicking the seat. She's not particularly tall for her age or weight.

Feet hitting the seat does not matter. It's normal and expected for them to fold their legs up. Many kids say it's actually more comfortable than their feet dangling in a front-facing seat.

"But their legs will get broken in an accident!!!!!!" - first, there are no actual cases where this has been a problem. Second, even if it were, broken legs beats broken spine.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

The guidelines are to flip them forward facing when they hit the height or weight limit for rear facing. Hitting the back seat with their legs doesn't matter.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Ok, glad to hear that. I figured it was probably OK since otherwise there's no way rear-facing would work past like age one.

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

Our seat has a few different recline angles, maybe you can tip it upright a little to give her more leg room. The downside is that it seems less comfortable for sleeping - my son's head will loll forward more.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
Oh god, our days of being lackadaisical about our baby proofing are over. He's figured out reverse. Forwards can't be too far behind. It was funny cause he got himself wedged under the pack n play since he was going backwards.

It just sucks cause the baby gates we have are too wide for the top of our staircase, so we have to jerry rig it in there. And it's the narrowest gate we could find. (Staircase is maybe 4ft wide, if that, with walls running up each side)

That said, he can't sit to save his life, but is already mobile. Just like his dad, too busy on the go to sit and play quiet.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I love that diaper period is over, I hadn't noticed really but yeah, no more shitsmell from the trashcan outside we had reserved for that.

Also what's up with David, he sleeps a set period of time (9-10 hours) and then he wakes up, it doesn't matter when he goes to bed. I thought kids his age needed more sleep. Hell I sleep more than him (if I get the chance).

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

AA is for Quitters posted:

It just sucks cause the baby gates we have are too wide for the top of our staircase, so we have to jerry rig it in there. And it's the narrowest gate we could find. (Staircase is maybe 4ft wide, if that, with walls running up each side)

We have a thingy, let's see... "Lascal Kiddy Guard" is the product name. Apparently manufactured in Sweden. Basically like a window roller shade except sideways. You mount the main housing bit which the gate rolls into on one side of the stairs, and a locking strip on the other; when rolled up it doesn't take much from the width of the stairs. Pretty satisfied with it (except the only thing we've got to mount the locking strip onto is drywall, which isn't all that sturdy and will eventually give way, but that's because of the dumb way our house is built -- the gate itself is rated to hold a 100 kg adult leaning on it, but the drywall anchors sure wouldn't stand up to that).

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.
"Dad, can I eat breakfast before I go potty and brush my teeth?"
"Yeah, I guess so."
"Can I watch TV while i eat?"
"Hmm.. Sure, but you gotta go potty and brush your teeth after you eat."
"Okay."
Follows him upstairs after breakfast.
"I don't want to do that stuff."
"We had a deal, remember?"
"I wish i didn't have a dad."

This loving kid. Why can't she just be nice to him? She never says such awful things to me. It's always him. Like, 90% of the time, she treats him like this.

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

AA is for Quitters posted:

Groke posted:

We have a thingy, let's see... "Lascal Kiddy Guard" is the product name. Apparently manufactured in Sweden. Basically like a window roller shade except sideways. You mount the main housing bit which the gate rolls into on one side of the stairs, and a locking strip on the other; when rolled up it doesn't take much from the width of the stairs. Pretty satisfied with it (except the only thing we've got to mount the locking strip onto is drywall, which isn't all that sturdy and will eventually give way, but that's because of the dumb way our house is built -- the gate itself is rated to hold a 100 kg adult leaning on it, but the drywall anchors sure wouldn't stand up to that).

There are a few brands of retractable gates like that -- https://retract-a-gate.com/ is another.
I wish we had gone for something like that for top of stairs - the one we have seems to always be in the way when not in use, and my son likes to fling it around and bang it into the wall/himself/the dog

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

hooah posted:

Ok, glad to hear that. I figured it was probably OK since otherwise there's no way rear-facing would work past like age one.

You should take your car to whomever checks out car seats in your area. I am under the impression that you want your kid rear facing for as long as possible - my understanding is up to age 2. Is your car seat the kind that snaps into a base or is it a 'convertible' seat? The convertible seats fit kids up to the point that they only need a booster seat and they fit much larger kids. Front facing at 1 is too young.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

Groke posted:

Yeah, this is the other issue. It's just drywall on both sides, with a cheap fake wood veneer on the top of the one side that stops. Our apartment was an old SFH that got converted cheaply into apartments. But it's huge, and it's cheap. Right now we wedge the gate we have in sideways and it holds up to a fair amount of pressure. Enough that we'll notice and be able to redirect him before he can knock it down.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

That's a terrifying assumption to make regarding a top-of-the-stairs gate.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

It just takes a momentary distraction for a toddler to "monkey in a cage jump up and shake the bars" to a gate. Or they could just be running around and full speed run into it.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

foxatee posted:

"Dad, can I eat breakfast before I go potty and brush my teeth?"
"Yeah, I guess so."
"Can I watch TV while i eat?"
"Hmm.. Sure, but you gotta go potty and brush your teeth after you eat."
"Okay."
Follows him upstairs after breakfast.
"I don't want to do that stuff."
"We had a deal, remember?"
"I wish i didn't have a dad."

This loving kid. Why can't she just be nice to him? She never says such awful things to me. It's always him. Like, 90% of the time, she treats him like this.

I don't have any to add, but can I just offer :glomp: to your partner. It must feel really lovely to have your kid say that. I've had "I don't like you or I don't love you" said in an argument, but gently caress me "I wish I didn't have a dad" is harsh.

ArmadilloConspiracy
Jan 15, 2010
My area is, for the moment, not covered in ice!

Any stroller recommendations? The little guy is five months next week, and we would like something we can use into the toddler years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
We have a McLaren umbrella stroller. It's fine. My kid is almost 2.5 and likes it.