Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Golden Bee posted:

Female Knights are fun.
--Especially when they take on incompetent squires and, over the course of 20+ hours of gaming, teach them the value of trust and nobility.
--Even better when squires, freed of their nervousness and low-born shame, admit that they have crushes on the similarly aged King of Castille.
--Best, though, when the nights disguise their Squires as princesses in dramatic schemes to catch bandit leaders who have far too much ink in their veins.

---Better than best is when the Knights make a pledge to follow their kingdom's best political interests and, in the last scene of a session, in front of their squires, are proposed to by the King of Castille.

One of my favorite parts of any 7th Sea book is that part in the Knights of the Rose and Cross book about chivalric romance. There's a certain order to it, listed in deliberately excruciating detail, something like (to exaggerate a bit):

1) Write a letter of intent to court the person and have it delivered (not in-person) to them
2) Meet the person in-person and exchange formal cordialities
3) Write the person a letter and deliver it yourself
4) Give the person a rose, or other sanctioned and approved gift that is romantic, but not to forward
5) Write the person a sonnet (or pay someone like Shakespeare to do it for you)
6) Meet the person again, and this time you may kiss their hand
7) Etc...

It makes Pride and Prejudice look like Hustler. And don't you dare skip to third base (step 37), or else the Knights will kick you out. It's rad and funny as hell.

I recently played a former female knight whose background was Betrothed, but she wasn't into it. She was from a minor noble family that made their name by being naval officers. She wanted to go to sea like her dad, her grandparents, and her older brothers. All of her brothers died at sea, though, and her dad couldn't bear to let the sea take his baby daughter. So he arranged a marriage to try to force her to settle down. She was a Knight of the Rose and Cross, so the courtship followed all of the above nonsense. Everything was going fine until she left the poor guy at the altar. She even liked him, too. But she liked the sea more. Got kicked out of the Knights, and had her dad and her betrothed's family chasing her around the Midnight Archipelago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Golden Bee posted:

---Better than best is when the Knights make a pledge to follow their kingdom's best political interests and, in the last scene of a session, in front of their squires, are proposed to by the King of Castille.

All of them, by the one King?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Railing Kill posted:

One of my favorite parts of any 7th Sea book is that part in the Knights of the Rose and Cross book about chivalric romance. There's a certain order to it, listed in deliberately excruciating detail, something like (to exaggerate a bit):

1) Write a letter of intent to court the person and have it delivered (not in-person) to them
2) Meet the person in-person and exchange formal cordialities
3) Write the person a letter and deliver it yourself
4) Give the person a rose, or other sanctioned and approved gift that is romantic, but not to forward
5) Write the person a sonnet (or pay someone like Shakespeare to do it for you)
6) Meet the person again, and this time you may kiss their hand
7) Etc...

It makes Pride and Prejudice look like Hustler. And don't you dare skip to third base (step 37), or else the Knights will kick you out. It's rad and funny as hell.

I recently played a former female knight whose background was Betrothed, but she wasn't into it. She was from a minor noble family that made their name by being naval officers. She wanted to go to sea like her dad, her grandparents, and her older brothers. All of her brothers died at sea, though, and her dad couldn't bear to let the sea take his baby daughter. So he arranged a marriage to try to force her to settle down. She was a Knight of the Rose and Cross, so the courtship followed all of the above nonsense. Everything was going fine until she left the poor guy at the altar. She even liked him, too. But she liked the sea more. Got kicked out of the Knights, and had her dad and her betrothed's family chasing her around the Midnight Archipelago.

You should check out the Courtly Romance rules in Pendragon.

They are ridiculous, in the best of all possible ways.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

rchandra posted:

All of them, by the one King?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StJS51d1Fzg

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

You should check out the Courtly Romance rules in Pendragon.

They are ridiculous, in the best of all possible ways.

Sounds good.

In another 7th Sea game further back, we had two PCs in the Knights of the Rose and Cross. One of them had a Romance background, and one of them had the Star Crossed hubris. So they were both pursuing their respective ladies at an excruciating pace. This is when the GM had El Vago show up as a major NPC. El Vago is like the setting's Zorro. He's famous for being a sexy rogue outlaw who will swoop in, bust up some rude inquisitors, hand the woman he's saving a rose (from his teeth, naturally), and jump out of the window, all in one stroke. All the men want to be him, and all the ladies want to be with him. There's a lot of swooning involved.

The GM used him in one major battle, and then kept having him show up after that as a comic, mocking constrast to the knight PCs.

:hist101: I shall write my lady a beautiful sonnet to win her heart.

:c00l: Cool, man. I'd help you with that, but I think I'm going to be busy later. *all three of the women hanging on his arms giggle knowingly*

:hist101: *looks down dejectedly*

It's even funnier if the GM has a woman be El Vago. El Vago is actually a secret society of people who collectively appear in his mask. There isn't one guy, and some of them are women.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
My players have been fighting a dwarven Trump-alike who is backed/backing a cult that is essentially what you would get if you crossed Scientology with the Esoteric Order of Dagon. The high priestess of this cult has defeated them twice now, the first time when they battled into the Undersharn ruins they're using as a hideout, taking out a lot of cultists in varying stages of transformation in the loudest possible manner (turns out if you tear a guy's hands off, he screams a lot). This gave her plenty of time to buff up and do what evil clerics with time to prepare do to groups of people with very little spell slots/pp left try to invade.

The second time, they snuck up on the "celebration" she and her brother and a few dozen lower ward residents were having, as her brother just won the Race of Eight Winds with absolutely no illegal assistance from anyone. Turns out that party was both a recruitment drive for the cult and a ritual sacrifice to rip a hole in reality. They fight, again, and fail to stop the ritual that creates a new Xoriat manifest zone just outside Sharn and sucks in the party. She escaped with a violated unicorn horn, but her brother unfortunately failed his saves and got sucked into the gaping reality maelstrom. Through a ridiculous bit of random rolling, the party also ended up sucked through via an assortment of means.

When they got back, they had to stop Dwarven Trump from being elected to the city council, where he'd have free rein to use his new political power for whatever projects he wanted in the lower wards. With the aid of a Gatekeeper druid, they successfully seal up the manifest zone and attribute their success to Ilyra Boromar, the incumbent who is totally not part of the Boromar crime family. Better the devil you know, right? They plan on using their newly gained political capital to start the United Monster College Fund and get some Daask members a college education at Morgrave U.

Now they plan on going back to Undersharn to fight Cult Battle 3: Clerical Error. I can't want to see how they plan to make this one different :allears:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
While Varis was committing blasphemy, our Barbarian Skeever decided what he wanted to do was become an arm wrestling champion!

The Cranky Owlbear, which had become our “go to tavern” while in Highspire, was having an arm wrestling competition between various dwarven clans and a few brave humans. Skeever proceeded to sit down and pretty much run the table against everyone opposite him. He ended up winning the Springtide challenge, but when one of the dwarves mentioned that last year’s champion was in attendance, Skeever challenged HIM to a contest!

Yeah, an Ogre.

What followed was two very strong creatures who couldn’t make the other budge. Both were rolling ridiculously well to prevent their arms from going down, so after about ten minutes of back and forth, Skeever decides to be a Bard and try to get inside the Ogre’s head and hopefully get him to take some penalties due to self-doubt. On his Persuasion roll, Skeever gets a Natural 20. The GM decides that it’s enough for Skeever to really screw with the Ogre…but Skeever’s player decided that with a roll like that and Skeever’s chronic case of self-doubt, Skeever instead convinced the Ogre he was so incredibly amazing and awesome and that he had the contest in the bag. The Ogre proceeds to win in the next round, drinks are served, backs are slapped, and Skeever spends the evening convincing the Ogre to become the first Ogre Bard in the history of Tanicus…

Meanwhile, our Monk Ksena is out walking the streets when out of the corner of her eye, she sees none other than Stannis Grumgate, Head Priest of Catira, the Lady of Pain, and Varis’s (maybe) uncle / (maybe) father, ducking into an inn. Ksena having a soft spot for keeping Varis out of trouble, she follows him in, sits down at this table, and proceeds to have a chat about how well Varis is doing and how he’s not a failure and most importantly if Stannis tries to mess with Varis she’ll roundhouse kick his head off. Amused, Stannis responds that he had no qualms with Varis at this time and tells her that Varis’ mother has been properly laid to rest in tradition to the Sidhe.

quote:

”I wish you well, and tell Varis that I look forward to our next meeting at the Council of Seven.”

“Wait…how did you know about that?”

“Who do you think nominated him for membership?”

Cullus, our Rogue, is enjoying as much of the Springtide Festival as he can. Cheap food, free drink, and somehow he managed to get his hands on a pile of chocolate cakes, which he’s stuffed into the portable hole and is handing out to completely random stranger and completely well-known party members. At one point, he turns down the street to see a bill which had been posted to the notice board…

quote:

HIGH QUALITY WHORES – 2 FOR THE PRICE OF 1 TONIGHT ONLY

Of course as he’s debating the monetary benefits of such a transaction, he gets hit on the head from behind and knocked unconscious…

“Wake up, lad.”

Cullus wakes up to find that he’s sitting in a darkened room opposite his Rogue mentor. “Sorry for the bait-and-switch, but I couldn’t be seen approaching you in public. So I had to bait you with your second greatest weakness.”

“Whores?”

“A cheap bargain.”

A bit of backstory on Cullus – ever since he’s joined our party, he’s been sending a steady stream of gold back to his small village. Anytime we’re in civilization, he finds a messaging service and arranges for at least ¾’s of the gold he’s earned to make its way to his brother and sister. It turns out that his family, the Greenapples, bought a tavern via a loan from a local crime lord. While the tavern easily makes enough money to pay the balance of the loan, Cullus is determined to pay off the interest as quickly as possible. His mentor was helping to manage to bar in his spare time, but he left a few weeks ago to find out what happened to Cullus.

Because the money stopped coming.

And the local crime lord “imprisoned” Cullus’ brother and sister inside the tavern, making them work for nothing until the late payments and interest is all settled up.

Oh, and the local crime lord is now just more than the local crime lord – he’s the Mayor and Magistrate of the town, thanks to some new friends…friends who seem to be meeting in the basement of the tavern while wearing purple robes emblazoned with a burning eye…

…the symbol of Az.

Cullus gathers us together and explains the situation…well, he doesn’t get a hold of Varis because someone decided that since he finally touched a boob, he wanted to pay and do it again…and since his village is only two days ride south of Highspire, there’s no question in our minds that we’re all going to go help him, not only because he’s our friend (well, to Varis he’s a friend, to everyone else he finds traps) but because it’s the Cult of the Burning Eye, which means Az, which means it’s a moral imperative.

We leave at first light the next morning. It’s an easy ride along the highway since Cullus’ town is just off a major trading route, through green fields and flowers bursting with spring. As we pass a large lake just outside of town, Cullus points over to it.

quote:

“That’s Starfall Lake.”

“Why is it called Starfall Lake?”

“It was called Bluewater Lake until about 25 years ago, when a shooting star smashed into it late one night. Amazing thing. People could see the flash and hear the impact for miles around. A couple of people always hated the name Bluewater Lake, thought it was boring, so they renamed it.”

“Did anyone ever go looking for what fell?”

“Nah. It was just a shooting star. Some people say it was an angel being thrown from heaven, but that’s just old timer talk.”

“Cullus…let me get this right. People say that an angel slammed into your lake.”

“Yeah.”

“An angel.”

“Yeah.”

“And what is Az?”

“An angel.”

“And what cult is now taking root in your home town?”

“The Cult of Az.”

Pause.

“Oh.”

Pause.

“You think we should go look?”

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Skeever is good people.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

I'm about to join a game of World Wide Wrestling soon. I am so pumped about this. I want to play a character whose gimmick is that he thinks (or, behaves) that he is a referee. The guy running the game and one of the other players are huge fans of some of the goofier wrestling promotions, like Chikara.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Railing Kill posted:

I'm about to join a game of World Wide Wrestling soon. I am so pumped about this. I want to play a character whose gimmick is that he thinks (or, behaves) that he is a referee. The guy running the game and one of the other players are huge fans of some of the goofier wrestling promotions, like Chikara.

That sounds amazing. World Wide Wrestling is the pbta one, right? If there isn't a referee playbook there should be.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
There is a guest referee/ guest star PDF. I think it's on Nathan's website.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
The best WWWRPG character I saw was a Heel Jobber acting as an old-timey vaudeville antagonist, who did poo poo like pull giant bombs labelled BOMB from under the stage. He became the champion somehow.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

rumble in the bunghole posted:

The best WWWRPG character I saw was a Heel Jobber acting as an old-timey vaudeville antagonist, who did poo poo like pull giant bombs labelled BOMB from under the stage. He became the champion somehow.

Please tell me his theme music was live ragtime piano.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Kavak posted:

Please tell me his theme music was live ragtime piano.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PlhJOzH0gY

"Electric tie rack! Electric tie rack! Rackin' up electric tiiiiiiies!"

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
here is a terrible podcast my friends and i do, i know we need intro music but the guy that was doing it (my brother) bailed. lol

http://yesdmiwill.podbean.com/

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
So my current 5e party can corroborate hyperattachment to a vehicle thing.

It's a Final Fantasy based setting, which means in the second or third session I bought a fledgling chocobo and put some saddlebags on it. It wasn't really supposed to be a thing. I'm playing a guy with =1 STR so I had to worry about encumbrance. After we got chastised for not stabling it once the party has made the damned thing a priority.

The Bard overpays to get good feed for her.
The Fighter let her sleep in his bed for a few nights.
I have approached at least one smith about custom armor and barding.

Since Chocobo Knights are a thing she's probably getting promoted from pack mule to war mount in the next session.

Players will attach to the first thing they spend more than like 50 gold on. It doesn't matter if it's a living mount or a lovely cart for the Goliath to push around.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Razorwired posted:

Since Chocobo Knights are a thing she's probably getting promoted from pack mule to war mount in the next session.

Players will attach to the first thing they spend more than like 50 gold on. It doesn't matter if it's a living mount or a lovely cart for the Goliath to push around.

look at FFXIV (I'm guilty of it too, but not enough to spend real-life money on it), people go through a lot of time and hassle to dye and bard their chocobos despite the myriad of cool mounts like Behemoths, floating thrones, and dragons to choose from - people love their horsebirds.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I recently signed up for a PbP game (not here) pitched as "sandbox-y adventure scifi". A crew of space misfits living on an old space freighter go on space adventures kind of thing.

In the first couple of days, the GM told us to stop spending time describing our spaceship because it "wasn't important". 4/4 players responded with variations on the theme of "yes it is because..." and the GM got all weird about it being "just transport and not important, you're going to lose it soon anyway".

We talked about it a bit, GM wouldn't budge, so I quit because "Maybe I should listen to them... no, it's the players who are wrong about what's important to the characters" isn't my sort of gaming, and also that sounds the opposite of sandbox-y.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

AlphaDog posted:

I recently signed up for a PbP game (not here) pitched as "sandbox-y adventure scifi". A crew of space misfits living on an old space freighter go on space adventures kind of thing.

In the first couple of days, the GM told us to stop spending time describing our spaceship because it "wasn't important". 4/4 players responded with variations on the theme of "yes it is because..." and the GM got all weird about it being "just transport and not important, you're going to lose it soon anyway".

We talked about it a bit, GM wouldn't budge, so I quit because "Maybe I should listen to them... no, it's the players who are wrong about what's important to the characters" isn't my sort of gaming, and also that sounds the opposite of sandbox-y.
If they're about to lose it soon then an emotional attachment us even more important!

Sounds like he was going to crash you somewhere and the sandbox was wandering around a space planet or stargate-linked space stations or something.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Robindaybird posted:

look at FFXIV (I'm guilty of it too, but not enough to spend real-life money on it), people go through a lot of time and hassle to dye and bard their chocobos despite the myriad of cool mounts like Behemoths, floating thrones, and dragons to choose from - people love their horsebirds.

To be fair, chocobos are currently the only mount you can customize and take into battle with you in that game.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Splicer posted:

If they're about to lose it soon then an emotional attachment us even more important!

Sounds like he was going to crash you somewhere and the sandbox was wandering around a space planet or stargate-linked space stations or something.

Like I said, no drama, it's just the opposite thing from what I'd do as GM and the opposite of what I thought I'd signed up for. The vibe I got was less "Yeah, it's a cool space truck. Let's move this along and get to the awesome thing that's coming up" and more "Stop caring about this, I already said it's not interesting". Being told "this thing everyone's interested in is not actually interesting" isn't what I like in a game, and definitely isn't what I'm expecting from "sandbox".

Maybe it'll be good, but I can't be bothered with it. I'm sure I'll hear about it from one of the other players either way.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
if the GM is not preparing his story around the characters interests, whats the hecking point? excuse my french

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Start describing the ship as being very train like.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
i found when interacting with a childish GM the best response is t be even more childish :pseudo:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Go full Montgomery Scott and fight like hell to keep the ship running no matter what the DM throws at you.

poo poo, the adventures of a dedicated damage control team party sounds like an interesting concept, at least for a oneshot.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

gradenko_2000 posted:

Go full Montgomery Scott and fight like hell to keep the ship running no matter what the DM throws at you.

poo poo, the adventures of a dedicated damage control team party sounds like an interesting concept, at least for a oneshot.

Something like Dungeon Crawl Classic, where you have a bunch of level 0 crewmen and SOME of them may make it out the other side as heros once the ship hits the surface....

mediocre dad okay
Jan 9, 2007

The fascist don't like life then he break other's
BEAT BEAT THE FASCIST

AlphaDog posted:

"Stop caring about this, I already said it's not interesting". Being told "this thing everyone's interested in is not actually interesting" isn't what I like in a game, and definitely isn't what I'm expecting from "sandbox".

Why do GMs do this? Like, gently caress, the players are doing your work for you and entertaining themselves. You can always put off your super awesome plot thing until later and let them have their goddamn fun.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

mediocre dad okay posted:

Why do GMs do this? Like, gently caress, the players are doing your work for you and entertaining themselves. You can always put off your super awesome plot thing until later and let them have their goddamn fun.

Because they view themselves more as authors or directors instead of facilitators.

I mean, to an extent I don't blame them - doing what you're describing puts them in a very passive role, and when you're coming up with a scenario and getting a group together you have lots of ideas and things you want to do, so seeing people do "the wrong thing" can frustrate some people. But it's good GMs who adapt and let things develop naturally, and take a back seat when people are having fun.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yeah, I'm not going to try to be that guy in this particular group.

But goddamn... if players in my group were obviously going to do this I'd immediately ditch the thing I had in mind and do that instead.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

AlphaDog posted:

But goddamn... if players in my group were obviously going to do this I'd immediately ditch the thing I had in mind and do that instead.

Although I would keep throwing non-killer challenges at them to keep it interesting.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
A couple sessions ago my players purchased a goat they've since grown fond of.

Today their caravan was attacked by bandits. This lead to a high-speed chase as the wagon train attempted to make it to safety while the bad guys were gaining on 'em, with the party firing off arrows and spells willy-nilly at anybody who got too close. Most of the bandits were horseback archers, but a few were packing molotov cocktails, and one of them was a magic-user throwing fistfuls of fire. The magician caught up to the rear wagon and tossed a mote of flame at the party ranger. He missed, but hit his cover by accident: the goat, which burst into flames.

The ranger looked from the flaming goat to the magician, back to the goat, and (tears in his eyes) punted it out the back as hard as he could.

The last thing that magician ever saw was a goat wreathed in flames coming at him at 30 miles per hour.

:rip: Eustace. You were the best.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Mar 4, 2017

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
WWWRPG at the weekend getaway is odd.
10+ players including a Geisha called The Geesh, a stepsibling feud btwn the technician and the Golden Boy, a Bronx/Brooklyn/Jersey Feud, and two giants who HATE each other, all wanting to win the Teddy Roosevelt Nat'l Park trophy.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

AlphaDog posted:

It's more likely he was planning to have the ship destroyed or lost so he didn't have to run the entire universe as a sandbox.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

hyphz posted:

It's more likely he was planning to have the ship destroyed or lost so he didn't have to run the entire universe as a sandbox.
I'm always wary of GMs who call their games a "sandbox" because in my experience it means the GM goes "okay your characters are in a town. What do you do?" and then stares expectantly, like the players are supposed to come up with a plot; or it's not really a sandbox and the GM wants to have a grand story of the world but doesn't know how to tie all of his half-session plot threads into anything cohesive so it's a "sandbox world" until he takes a creative writing course.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

mediocre dad okay posted:

Mostly because they didn't have it planned out as well as they thought they had and instead of trying to improvise something they have no idea about they'll put the hammer down and say "Get back on the railroad tracks ya bum"

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Bad Seafood posted:

A couple sessions ago my players purchased a goat they've since grown fond of.

Today their caravan was attacked by bandits. This lead to a high-speed chase as the wagon train attempted to make it to safety while the bad guys were gaining on 'em, with the party firing off arrows and spells willy-nilly at anybody who got too close. Most of the bandits were horseback archers, but a few were packing molotov cocktails, and one of them was a magic-user throwing fistfuls of fire. The magician caught up to the rear wagon and tossed a mote of flame at the party ranger. He missed, but hit his cover by accident: the goat, which burst into flames.

The ranger looked from the flaming goat to the magician, back to the goat, and (tears in his eyes) punted it out the back as hard as he could.

The last thing that magician ever saw was a goat wreathed in flames coming at him at 30 miles per hour.

:rip: Eustace. You were the best.

More parties should have a goat.:3:

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Yawgmoth posted:

I'm always wary of GMs who call their games a "sandbox" because in my experience it means the GM goes "okay your characters are in a town. What do you do?" and then stares expectantly, like the players are supposed to come up with a plot; or it's not really a sandbox and the GM wants to have a grand story of the world but doesn't know how to tie all of his half-session plot threads into anything cohesive so it's a "sandbox world" until he takes a creative writing course.
The key to a good sandbox is to have the world around the PCs keep moving. Oh, you didn't engage with the plot threads about the rise of the Dragon Cult? That's cool, but now they run the place and are sacrificing people to the dragons. Oh, and by the way, your cousin is missing. And the more stuff you have developing organically, the better off you are, because there's always something that will pique the players' interest. And if they make it clear that they're interested in a particular thing, you make that thing central to the story - but you don't stop all of the other threads that are running.

FWIW, the Apocalypse World book condenses these ideas into the pithy advice: make the world feel real.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Golden Bee posted:

WWWRPG at the weekend getaway is odd.
10+ players including a Geisha called The Geesh, a stepsibling feud btwn the technician and the Golden Boy, a Bronx/Brooklyn/Jersey Feud, and two giants who HATE each other, all wanting to win the Teddy Roosevelt Nat'l Park trophy.

My tentative character concept for our upcoming WWWRPG is a luchador whose gimmick is that his mask is possessed and makes him do evil, heel-ish things. Outside of the ring, the man is an evangelical Christian who believes wrestling is wrong (he believes anything that isn't Christ-related is bad). His act is meant to be a cautionary tale, not unlike Mazes and Monsters is to D&D. He is the only one who takes it this way. So he is a heel both in and out of character because he hates wrestling.

Edit: I can't wait to win a title belt, and then immediately burn it to "cleanse it of Satan's power." That'll go over with the fans, um, like a fart in church. But just imagine the ratings!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Railing Kill posted:

My tentative character concept for our upcoming WWWRPG is a luchador whose gimmick is that his mask is possessed and makes him do evil, heel-ish things. Outside of the ring, the man is an evangelical Christian who believes wrestling is wrong (he believes anything that isn't Christ-related is bad). His act is meant to be a cautionary tale, not unlike Mazes and Monsters is to D&D. He is the only one who takes it this way. So he is a heel both in and out of character because he hates wrestling.

Edit: I can't wait to win a title belt, and then immediately burn it to "cleanse it of Satan's power." That'll go over with the fans, um, like a fart in church. But just imagine the ratings!

It'll make a great work to reveal the newer shinier replacement belt.

Maybe this one will have a logo that spins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Yawgmoth posted:

It's this. I'm working with some other students to knock out some game designs as a creative project for a big interdisciplinary program. We have one person that likes to break down mechanics and talk about minimalist design, one designer with a weird personality based design that was exciting if a bit ambitious, someone who created a setting based on political science, and someone that just wants to be in the "D&D group". Her designs are mostly just modules within established systems. And getting feedback to her has been a nightmare because her first several tests hit all the bases of the DM Advice thread.

I think some people watch nerd media like The Gamers: Dorkness Rising and think that module design is supposed to be "Throw impossible encounters at the party with no context. Write the module around the story of the first party." rather than a relatively short writing project with a TON of editing and focus testing.