Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pi In The Sky
Dec 31, 2015

Falcon2001 posted:

So show of hands, how many of y'all crazy people don't build walls or moats or whatever around your bases?

I do at least torch the immediate area, though that doesn't stop things from spawning further away and wandering in. Though, honestly, even that stops being a problem for me after a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm pretty lax with base defenses, even in blightfall

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I'll build a fence occasionally, but waking up with a spider staring at me through my skylight is sort of a tradition by now.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

When I first started playing minecraft and didn't understand how spawning mechanics work, I would start every day by fighting the spider that'd spawn on my roof during the night. Instead of properly lighting my roof, which I didn't know was a thing, I tamed wolves and cats to help me fight the morningspider.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

chairface posted:

When I first started playing minecraft and didn't understand how spawning mechanics work, I would start every day by fighting the spider that'd spawn on my roof during the night. Instead of properly lighting my roof, which I didn't know was a thing, I tamed wolves and cats to help me fight the morningspider.

Roof with slabs and stairs, save on torches and never fight a roof spider again.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Dareon posted:

I'll build a fence occasionally, but waking up with a spider staring at me through my skylight is sort of a tradition by now.

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

Gross

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Falcon2001 posted:

So show of hands, how many of y'all crazy people don't build walls or moats or whatever around your bases? Half the screenshots I see are just like a field with stuff in it.

I have multiple walls and comprehensive lighting. It's fort knox up in my house. 4 block high with an overhang to keep out spiders.

I do that when I'm walling in a smaller space, but generally just put a fence around the area to keep things from wandering in/out randomly, while otherwise staying far enough away from it that I also don't attract spiders that could scale them. In Regrowth though I just built my home on an island out in a huge bay. Still tended to get the odd zombie wandering over, but fun thing about zombies is that if land they are trying to get to is sitting directly on top of the water's surface, they'll bob themselves underneath and drown. I only needed to add a gate when I made a bridge over to where I put my Nether Portal.

Speaking of crazy walls, has anyone played Forever Stranded? It's supposed to be a 1.10 sequel to Crash Landing, but holy gently caress. Each night there's about a hundred Husk zombies that spawn outside your ship, which, by the way, don't burn in sunlight. Plus other mobs like witches. That in itself tended to ruin my FPS, and then there was a loving sandstorm which dropped me down to around 1 FPS, made it impossible to do anything. I found someone submitted a bug report stating this happened to them too, to which the mod pack author offered the solution 'Remove the weather mod.' Right, okay.

Edit: Yeah okay, modpack maker can't do anything. I was frustrated after a few failed starts, and was wondering if anyone had actually been able to play it and progress any.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Mar 4, 2017

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

I mean, it's not like the modpack author can fix FPS issues with individual mods. They're not programmers. The solution he offered you is, in fact, the only avenue that he himself could possibly offer for remedy.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Black Pants posted:

I found someone submitted a bug report stating this happened to them too, to which the mod pack author offered the solution 'Remove the weather mod.' Right, okay.

He should have told you to buy a new computer. :smug:

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I believe I cheated in a bed as well as turned on keepInventory for dealing with mobs, as well as got rid of the weather mod for fps reasons as well. My biggest issue for a while was that for whatever reason, water wouldn't always cool you off, so I had way more deaths to hyperthermia than I should have until I finally got a cooling coil made. Also had an early quest bug out on me when it wouldn't detect a dirty water bottle.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
Wanted to post an album of the Project Ozone 2: Titan base my wife and I have been working on. I'm not sure if I can embed an album here, but here's the link:

http://imgur.com/a/Iu3yM

We went through the first 1/4 of the game through Kappa mode on accident, before I realized Titan mode was the one I was looking for. It was quite something getting only 1 stick from 1 log...

Sadly, we'll probably have to retire this world soon, even though we haven't finished Avaritia. We need to use imaginary time blocks to get the materials we need in any reasonable amount of time, but it drops our FPS down to 10-15ish on our 3 year old laptops.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
^^^
Goddamn.

taiyoko posted:

My biggest issue for a while was that for whatever reason, water wouldn't always cool you off, so I had way more deaths to hyperthermia than I should have until I finally got a cooling coil made. Also had an early quest bug out on me when it wouldn't detect a dirty water bottle.

That is, apparently, a feature. Evidently not content with water cooling you down in Enviromine, whatever mod deals with heat in Forever Stranded also causes water to heat up based on ambient temperature, time of day, and season. So water could raise your temperature.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Mar 4, 2017

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

greententacle posted:

So I dropped the 1.7.10 Dimensional Doors jar into my curse custom modpack, but it isn't working. I did the same thing with Mekanism, and Mekanism stuff shows up in NEI etc.

Rutibex posted:

That mod is hosed up, don't bother with it. The best I could manage is to get the doors to show up in NEI, but going through them always resulted in a crash.

I personally recommend Enhanced Portals 3. We used it on the last iteration of DPT, and it was phenomenal. The basic concept is you create the battery of sorts made out of a couple different blocks, and the size of the battery determines how many portals it can control total. You can have multiple batteries, each running their own network of portals. From there, you set up the portal frame, which can be vertical or horizontal, and then you can customize the frame and the portal in tons of different ways. Make a portal that's fiery red, with flame particles shooting out of it, and the nether portal noise, rimmed around by netherrack instead of obsidian to go to your nether fortress. Or make a portal that's clear, with no particles, sounds, and a frame made of the same materials as your walls to instantly transport you to your secret batcave. Activate the portals with a button, or a lever, send items and fluids through them, control which direction you face, or if you take fall damage after going through the portal. Connect portals in a way that allows you to go into portal A, come out at portal B, go back into portal B, and come out portal C. It's extremely versatile.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Played a bit more Project Ozone 2 this lazy morning. I have started milking the Electrum Cows. They produce a lot of fluid, I can fill my inventory with buckets from a single session. I turned out to be pretty hard to pour the liquid metal in the the smeltery, but I figured out that you can attach a Seared Faucet directly to a Seared Tank, so am am using that to cast the cow metal into usable blocks:

I needed the Electrum for my big project of the day, a NUCLEAR REACTOR :twisted: I am very paranoid about nuclear explosions, as well as radiation making me sterile so I decided to build my Big Reactor deep under the ice. Much to my surprise I found a layer of stone very deep under. I was even more surprised to find normal ores in this thin stone layer, I can come here and mine! Or maybe set up a quarry or Mining Turtle! I cleared out a space to build my reactor:

The reactor is cooled with Electrum Blocks. They are not as efficient as Diamond Blocks, but I can make them for free with my cows! I have stuck an Ender Battery White/White/White on the side. This way I can provide power to any machine in my base from this nuclear core, by only making another battery. It produces about 56,000 RF per tick, I think I might make some batteries or something to store the power? :shrug:

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Mar 4, 2017

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Is it possible to disable the 'better' questing completion popups? They're incredibly annoying...

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

central dogma posted:

Wanted to post an album of the Project Ozone 2: Titan base my wife and I have been working on. I'm not sure if I can embed an album here, but here's the link:

http://imgur.com/a/Iu3yM

We went through the first 1/4 of the game through Kappa mode on accident, before I realized Titan mode was the one I was looking for. It was quite something getting only 1 stick from 1 log...

Sadly, we'll probably have to retire this world soon, even though we haven't finished Avaritia. We need to use imaginary time blocks to get the materials we need in any reasonable amount of time, but it drops our FPS down to 10-15ish on our 3 year old laptops.

That's quite pretty. If you are having FPS issues, you could relocate your stuff that doesn't need to be chunk loaded into a far away place or in another dimension. Or make a dedicated server in your house for it.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)
So all this project Ozone chat made me want to try it out. Which is the pack everyone is using?

I pulled one off curse (PO 2 reloaded), but playing it I'm drowning in loot bags. What is the version people are enjoying?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Dalaram posted:

So all this project Ozone chat made me want to try it out. Which is the pack everyone is using?

I pulled one off curse (PO 2 reloaded), but playing it I'm drowning in loot bags. What is the version people are enjoying?

That is the version I use as well.

Protip:You can hold the lootbag in your hand and right-click in onto a chest to dump the contents into said chest. This process can be automated

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Rutibex posted:

That is the version I use as well.

Protip:You can hold the lootbag in your hand and right-click in onto a chest to dump the contents into said chest. This process can be automated

Is there a way to disable, or at least way tone down the number of drops? I'm getting a ton of high tier stuff every night, and I feel like its kinda killing the pacing.

EDIT: Also, what is kappa versus Titan?

Dalaram fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 4, 2017

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

there isn't really any pacing. by the time the Alpha quests are all "hey make a diesel engine" you could easily have magical crops supplying all your worldly needs

also i can't figure out how to unlock the thermal expansion quests and it's vexing me. do i need to finish the magneticraft bullshit or what

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Rutibex posted:

Protip:You can craft lootbags together to get higher tiers

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Dalaram posted:

Is there a way to disable, or at least way tone down the number of drops? I'm getting a ton of high tier stuff every night, and I feel like its kinda killing the pacing.

You will have an unlimited supply of all the stuff that comes in loot bags as soon as you build a mob grinder. Believe me, most of it will not help you much in completing the quests. The most useful thing I got from those bags in enchanted armor and Safari Nets. The armor is honestly more of a pain in the rear end than anything, this is all of the "backup" armor I have collected from lootbags, note I have not gone through my first set of armor yet. Three Diamond Chests full:

You are going to want to pick up a piece of armor that has Jump Boost, Sneak in Air, and Nightvision. These effects have annoying particle effects so I recommend adding the CleanView mod to get rid of them (unless you like swirling colours in your face all day):
https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/cleanview/files

Threep posted:

Protip:You can craft lootbags together to get higher tiers

:eyepop:
Hell yeah! I love new tips :twisted:

Pi In The Sky
Dec 31, 2015

Dalaram posted:

Changes to crafting recipes. Titan is harder than the standard, and kappa is harder than titan. I don't know the nature of the changes (because I'm too cowardly to find out firsthand) but I imagine a lot more mod interdependence.

Rutibex posted:

The most useful thing I got from those bags in enchanted armor and Safari Nets

I would say that the Ender Lilly seeds/Black(er) Lotus were the best things for me. Especially the Ender Lilly seeds. One of those in a smeltery gave you enough liquid ender for at least 4 pearls, and they're not all that uncommon finds in the loot bags.

Pi In The Sky fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Mar 4, 2017

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Pi In The Sky posted:

Changes to crafting recipes. Titan is harder than the standard, and kappa is harder than titan. I don't know the nature of the changes (because I'm too cowardly to find out firsthand) but I imagine a lot more mod interdependence.

How do you enable this? I don't mind a little more challenge.

Pi In The Sky
Dec 31, 2015

Dalaram posted:

How do you enable this? I don't mind a little more challenge.

Try "/ftb_mode set <mode>" where <mode> is either titan or kappa, while having admin access (cheats enabled).

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.
https://twitter.com/KingLemmingCoFH/status/838176432878673920

Yay for that!

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Serifina posted:

No it doesn't? I've been making obsidian in a smeltery because mining it is a pain in the rear end when I have fresh lava available (on a server, DW20 1.10.2 pack) and it's 1-1.
I just remembered this because I started again in MC and just tried making obsidian in the smeltery. One bucket of lava and water made 288mb of obsidian, half of the 576mb needed to make a block. It's possible there's a mod I have that cuts it down, or there's a mod in the DW20 1.10.2 pack that puts it back up again.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

In skyfactory 3 what is a good tinkers crossbow? Has there been any changes?

And i need to cull a few hundred chickens.....

I think its a few pages back, but yeah, everything (good) seems to be gated behind ender pearls. So i need to set up a large mob farm and lure them away.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Meskhenet posted:

Just make a shortbow. Steel or whatever has the best bonus arrow damage, then many/reed/slime leaf arrows and you can get a 1s draw that oneshots regular mobs. Slime leaf for good accuracy with ammo bonus, reed for ammo bonus. Steel/etc, stick, regular leaf or feather works fine early-game.

1.10.2 crossbows got heavily nerfed and I don't consider them worth making anymore.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Meskhenet posted:

And i need to cull a few hundred chickens.....

I think its a few pages back, but yeah, everything (good) seems to be gated behind ender pearls. So i need to set up a large mob farm and lure them away.

To elaborate on Ambaire's comment, crossbows now need to be manually loaded; that is, you need to hold right-click to get it to draw a bolt, and then another right click will fire. That and I wasn't able to find any materials in SF3 that gave a crossbow draw time of less than around 3-5 seconds.

Personally, I got by just fine with a basic mob-kill gallery until I could get Ender Essence seeds, after which I just went to The End. You can go there by making an Ender Cake or something like that.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

That sucks.

Im getting materials via chickens. Not exactly sure what i need for the ender chickens, but im sure it requires going to the nether to find chickens that spawn on the fortresses? (as the nether is void as well.)

So what is the ranged weapon of choice for SF3? I just need something to clear out creepers i guess, as i havent turned mobgriefing off.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
IMO crossbows were pretty ridiculous and I can sympathize with nerfing them, although I imagine like a lot of 1.10.2 stuff that it was overdone. A crossbow should have two main perks over a shortbow:

1. Predrawing. I should be able to wind it up, put it away, take it out, and have it fire at full strength immediately.
2. More damage and armor piercing damage.

That being said, both crossbows and shortbows should be capable of taking advanced materials for hilarious performance.

I tried the Project Ozone 2 that all the cool kids sre talking about. Is it basically a skyblock taking place on Hoth where every night is a blood moon? I didn't get a rubber sapling from sifting 64 dirt so whatever. I did get the crazy saplings from loot bags. I guess a big part of the strategy is to run around after dawn with persitent mobs chasing you, collecting bags as you go, like a Benny Hill closing credits running gag.

It seems like the new generation of packs cater to making YouTube hosts keel over in despair during live streams.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I tried the Project Ozone 2 that all the cool kids sre talking about. Is it basically a skyblock taking place on Hoth where every night is a blood moon? I didn't get a rubber sapling from sifting 64 dirt so whatever. I did get the crazy saplings from loot bags. I guess a big part of the strategy is to run around after dawn with persitent mobs chasing you, collecting bags as you go, like a Benny Hill closing credits running gag.

It seems like the new generation of packs cater to making YouTube hosts keel over in despair during live streams.

I never played on the ice map, but there's also a nice Garden of Glass map that gives you a pretty decent starting island covered in Botania flowers, and a weird meteor map, and a dirt-islands-floating-in-void world gen option. Maybe more now? I played sometime last year, way before the Kappa and Titan mode stuff was added.

For me it was a bizarre skyblock experience. Balance was out the window, the Nether and End were non-void but it also included the Mining World mod so you could just move there quickly enough and no longer even be playing a skyblock at all if you cared. Plus ProjectE. Also, almost every reward bag from the quest book was trash (hurr hurr here have 64 florbs of sewage, or some random Chisel block) but rarely you could get a Portal gun. From memory, the second-most-useful thing I got from a reward bag was some Galacticraft aluminium wire. :toot: The other option, and apparent fetish of the modpack author, are the Chance Cubes. Which are useless at best, but made maliciously bad by the author. And yes Blood Moons are set to 50% chance each night.

I have to assume some balance changes made since then and now though, granted. If only because when I made a basic baby Big Reactors reactor in my PO2 playthrough it was outputting 1.6 MRF/t, which Rutibex's big one isn't even getting.

Meskhenet posted:

That sucks.

Im getting materials via chickens. Not exactly sure what i need for the ender chickens, but im sure it requires going to the nether to find chickens that spawn on the fortresses? (as the nether is void as well.)

So what is the ranged weapon of choice for SF3? I just need something to clear out creepers i guess, as i havent turned mobgriefing off.

Make a basic jetpack, they aren't particularly costly (you'll need copper, gold and redstone and probably an alloy smelter), unless you're unlucky you probably won't need to go far to find a fortress. (Some assholes on the server I played SF3 on got their nether portals within walking distance of or even touching fortresses.)

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Mar 5, 2017

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Black Pants posted:

I never played on the ice map, but there's also a nice Garden of Glass map that gives you a pretty decent starting island covered in Botania flowers, and a weird meteor map, and a dirt-islands-floating-in-void world gen option. Maybe more now? I played sometime last year, way before the Kappa and Titan mode stuff was added.

For me it was a bizarre skyblock experience. Balance was out the window, the Nether and End were non-void but it also included the Mining World mod so you could just move there quickly enough and no longer even be playing a skyblock at all if you cared. Plus ProjectE. Also, almost every reward bag from the quest book was trash (hurr hurr here have 64 florbs of sewage, or some random Chisel block) but rarely you could get a Portal gun. From memory, the second-most-useful thing I got from a reward bag was some Galacticraft aluminium wire. :toot: The other option, and apparent fetish of the modpack author, are the Chance Cubes. Which are useless at best, but made maliciously bad by the author. And yes Blood Moons are set to 50% chance each night.

I have to assume some balance changes made since then and now though, granted. If only because when I made a basic baby Big Reactors reactor in my PO2 playthrough it was outputting 1.6 MRF/t, which Rutibex's big one isn't even getting.

Make a basic jetpack, they aren't particularly costly (you'll need copper, gold and redstone and probably an alloy smelter), unless you're unlucky you probably won't need to go far to find a fortress. (Some assholes on the server I played SF3 on got their nether portals within walking distance of or even touching fortresses.)

I deleted that map. a creep blew a hole in the floor making it too much of a pain for me to shore it up. At least now i know how chickens work. But im not sure i want to restart as having a decent weapon is what makes the unfun (combat) bearable.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Suprised nobody mentioned here yet but Thermal Expansion 5 for 1.10 is out! Theres no wiki stuff yet but from what I saw of a streamer looking at it there's a ton of new stuff so it's not just a port of the old stuff. New mechanics, new machines, new upgrade system (I think? I only came back to minecraft after a while.)

They're up on curse and on their website
https://twitter.com/KingLemmingCoFH/status/838177132702494720

edit: I think he said Thermal Dynamics are still buggy and the build will come a bit later.

Daynab fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Mar 5, 2017

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Daynab posted:

edit: I think he said Thermal Dynamics are still buggy and the build will come a bit later.
They ported it a while ago, but they are redoing stuff and were planning to release it on the 11th or so.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Ironically pipes are what I want the most from TE :v: Ender IO pipes are too costly for early game, gating everything behind pearls, and Extra Utility pipes just feel like cheating and don't have the cool separate-type aspect to me. They feel too smart.
Plus seeing lava and other random liquids go through your pipes is half the reason to have pipes.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Daynab posted:

Ironically pipes are what I want the most from TE :v: Ender IO pipes are too costly for early game, gating everything behind pearls, and Extra Utility pipes just feel like cheating and don't have the cool separate-type aspect to me. They feel too smart.
Plus seeing lava and other random liquids go through your pipes is half the reason to have pipes.

Are the ExtraUtility pipes the transfer nodes and stuff? as i have no idea how to really get that functional :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Daynab posted:

I always tweak the cheapest EnderIO pipes to be have a more reasonable material cost. I prefer them to the TE ones except for the dumb Ender Pearl cost.