Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Yea most bomb-threats are students trying to get out of tests, or trying to censor speakers they disagree with.

yes i'm sure students are making bomb threats against jewish temples to get out of tests :psypop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

financially racist posted:

yes i'm sure students are making bomb threats against jewish temples to get out of tests :psypop:

Not sure where the "jewish" part of not "every loving bomb threat" came from but, agreed.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

I mean, I'm sure there's an idiot in Yeshiva somewhere, but let's not play this game.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Not sure where the "jewish" part of not "every loving bomb threat" came from but, agreed.

so you're just incapable of inferring things through context then? or did you just not read any of the preceeding posts at all

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

so you're just incapable of inferring things through context then? or did you just not read any of the preceeding posts at all

Seems like you're the one having a hard time coming to grips with what's going on here, maybe you're just caremad because that guy stole your idea to go after Jews?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Did you know that "bomb threats" are a thing that happens very often, and usually they are called in against non-denominational public schools.

Or to put it another way, not every loving bomb threat has to do with Jews, in fact the vast majority of them do not.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Did you know that "bomb threats" are a thing that happens very often, and usually they are called in against non-denominational public schools.

Or to put it another way, not every loving bomb threat has to do with Jews, in fact the vast majority of them do not.

the conversation in the thread was about bomb threats being called in to jewish centers

sweet christ, i hope you aren't this bad at following a conversation in person

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

the conversation in the thread was about bomb threats being called in to jewish centers

sweet christ, i hope you aren't this bad at following a conversation in person

Yeah and you got triggered by the idea that one of your fellow travelers is behind at least one and likely more of the threats. You're a huge baby that should probably, in the immortal words of your abuela, delete your account

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

gobbagool posted:

Yeah and you got triggered by the idea that one of your fellow travelers is behind at least one and likely more of the threats. You're a huge baby that should probably, in the immortal words of your abuela, delete your account
you first

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi
Indivisible meeting this afternoon:

https://twitter.com/ny_indivisible/status/836968205805584384

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

do you need a loving t-test or something?

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi
I attended a meeting of a local Indivisible group this Sunday. It was very interesting and a breath of fresh air to see some actual organization around action. I typed up my notes from the meeting so that folks could get a sense of what a local chapter of Indivisible is actually doing. Generally, this seems to be very different from DSA. It's explicitly not about producing or pushing a policy agenda, but rather about specific local actions that can be taken to apply pressure on Congress to oppose the Trump administration.

Indivisible Meeting – 3/5/2017

Introductory Notes
  • Generally hosted on Sundays from 3-5 pm at St. John's Lutheran Church (81 Christopher Street)
  • Group uses Slack for organization, discussion, and collaboration
  • Many Indivisible groups in NYC area. This one is https://www.nyindivisible.com but makes no claims to be the ‘one and only’ or anything like that. Hopes to one day bring all NY indivisible groups under a single umbrella, but considers that a long-term goal and is not devoting resources to it in the short-term.
Initial discussion focused on “What is Indivisible?”
  • Recommendation to read the Indivisible Guide: https://www.indivisibleguide.com/
  • Written by former congressional staffers to provide guidance on how local groups can leverage similar tactics as the Tea Party to impact the actions of members of congress (MoCs).
  • Because progressives are a minority in both the House and Senate and do not control the Whitehouse, the guide recommends a “defensive” strategy (stopping Trumps agenda, as opposed to developing and pushing new policy)
  • Several local advocacy “tools” for influencing MoCs described, including Town Halls, other local events, coordinated office calls, and district office visits.
Least to most effective advocacy, as described in a training session hosted by authors of Indivisible Guide (all assumed to be from direct constituents – in-state for Senate, in-district for House):
  • Petitions
  • Emails
  • Faxes
  • Postcards
  • Letters
  • Phone Calls
  • Town Halls
  • In-person meetings in local offices
  • In-person meetings in DC
Working groups have been roughly organized around these advocacy tools:
  • Letter Writing
    • Group is organizing letter-writing “tables” around the city. Basically, they set up tables with pre-written letters on several topics and ask passers-by to fill in their address and sign their name. They’ll then mail the letters to the appropriate MoC.
    • Targets have included (or are planned to include): US Congress, NYS Legislature, NYC Council, and NYC Mayors office
    • Group is actively looking for volunteers to take shifts at these tables, particularly on the weekends
  • Town Halls
    • Group is organizing attendance of MoC-driven Town Halls, but also hosting a variety of Town-Hall events themselves
    • Somewhat different approach from other groups in that they are hosting and running the events (and inviting MoCs, NYC councilmembers, etc.), but executing the events whether they have buy-in from specific members of government or not
    • Indivisible-hosted events are focused on providing information to attendees on what actions they can take to influence the specific topic at hand (preventing Obamacare repeal, for example)
    • Next Indivisible-hosted Town Hall is tentatively scheduled for next congressional recess (March 16), but they’re having trouble getting a big enough venue (had 400-500 people attended last event), so they’re considering pushing back to the April congressional recess.
    • Next topic likely to be women’s issues, focused on POC and immigrant communities.
    • Group called “United for Action” sent someone to ask NY Indivisible to co-host an event they’re holding on March 12th at 5:00pm to discuss how to prevent Obamacare repeal. Specifically, how to apply pressure to Dan Donovan (R-NY 11th District, Staten Island).
  • Organized Calling
    • Speaker noted that they’ve been in touch with congressional offices, who have told them that call intensity and volume has been dropping off over the past week
    • Group is looking for people to organize phone-trees and other group-calling of congressional offices
    • General request that everyone continue to make calls and ask their friends and family to make calls
    • Recommendation of app called “5 Calls”. I checked it out – seems really intuitive. Provides list of topics and gives you a script and a clickable phone number for whoever is the call target.
  • Social Media
    • NY Indivisible has a broad online presence – Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Webpage, Slack, etc.
    • Looking for help both managing their various platforms and generating content
  • Elections
    • Working group on elections is applying information from SwingLeft, Flippable, Sister District, Justice Democrats and other groups
    • Currently focused on Georgia District 6 special election to fill Tom Price’s seat. Date of special election is April 18th.
    • Reaching out to other Indivisible groups in Georgia and to Jon Ossoff’s campaign to see how we can help.
    • Currently organizing phone-banking sessions, but waiting on the Ossoff campaign to provide a call-list and script
    • Recommendation to amplify social-media presence of Ossof campaign by linking/retweeting/sharing on social media.
    • Fundraising is another major topic that nobody has really committed to yet, beyond individual donations and forwarding around the fundraising email from the Ossoff campaign.
    • For general fundraising, I offered to take the first step by researching options and legality and reporting back to the group.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/NickReisman/status/839230489080778753

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

I wonder if Cuomo will gently caress us on this.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Grondoth posted:

Any other year yeah he'd sell us out for a dollar slice but we could try to convince him it'll help him for 2020

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

theflyingexecutive posted:

Any other year yeah he'd sell us out for a dollar slice but we could try to convince him it'll help him for 2020

Yeah, he seems to be trying to be "hip" and "with it" with his college thing, maybe he'll be open to this.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

theflyingexecutive posted:

Also he'll just get IDC to take the heat for killing it.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Grondoth posted:

Yes. But not by vetoing it, but by making sure the bill mysteriously dies in committee.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I was at a meeting at Jackie Robinson Middle School tonight that outlined the plan for the Bedford Union Armory. It was mainly attended by people and groups opposed to it: longtime and recent residents of Crown Heights, NYC DSA, the Crown Heights Tenants Union, New York Communities for Change, and Local 79, the construction worker union (although there was one member who actually spoke in support of the project). DSA in particular has been spearheading opposition to it, and both local Assemblymembers (Diana Richardson and Walter Mosley) and Jesse Hamilton want the project in its current form to be killed. As it currently stands, it would have 50% market rate housing and 50% "affordable" units, with only 5% or so of them being affordable for the median income of people in the neighborhood. The recreation center would probably not be free for the community, it would likely have monthly fees for people who are

Up to now, alternatives have been vague, although it's clear that they want housing that's affordable for the current residents. Somebody handed out flyers for making the space a community land trust, which ensures members have a say in what happens there. It seems like a good idea, but since there's no money in it, it'll be an uphill battle to get it done. Nonetheless, it seems like a good, concrete answer to these kinds of developments and should be explored more in other parts of the city.

The male district leader, Geoffrey Davis, spoke in support of the redevelopment and shamed the people who were there for not also being at rallies against gun violence. Many people were rightly pissed at him. Laurie Cumbo attended but didn't speak. She said that she's against the deal in its current form, but she hasn't been as vocal about it as the Assemblymembers and the State Senator, so people are skeptical. Overall, it was a good time, people showed lots of energy and officials from the city got an earful.
Hamilton said at a post-election forum that he'd vote for this, but seeing as he's helping the Republicans keep control of the Senate, it doesn't much matter what he or anyone else in the IDC thinks.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

get that OUT of my face posted:

Laurie Cumbo attended but didn't speak. She said that she's against the deal in its current form, but she hasn't been as vocal about it as the Assemblymembers and the State Senator, so people are skeptical. Overall, it was a good time, people showed lots of energy and officials from the city got an earful.

I got to speak with her at another meeting like this a month or so ago, and she came out as opposed, but a lot of her quotes in public that don't come from these meetings indicate she's just "undecided." The way the ULURP process has been delayed, she most likely won't have to vote on it until after the elections in November, so everything seems to point to her bluffing her way through since anything in support of the development will ensure someone runs against her. I get the feeling from her she's going to try to pry what she can from the developers and call it a victory, which is why her opposition is so soft.

The lovely part is, should the council vote the proposal down, it would go back out for RFP and unless something like the land trust comes through, no one would have a say in it and would most likely attract the same development plans.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The fact that Slate was removed as a co-developer for the Armory after their scandal as well as the fact that Carmelo Anthony withdrew support for the recreation center is a testament to how much of a shitshow this has been.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

get that OUT of my face posted:

I was at a meeting at Jackie Robinson Middle School tonight that outlined the plan for the Bedford Union Armory.

Thanks for the update - I got stuck at work and couldn't make it to that meeting and was hoping to hear from people who were there.

Also, lol at this shameless bullshit:

quote:

The male district leader, Geoffrey Davis, spoke in support of the redevelopment and shamed the people who were there for not also being at rallies against gun violence. Many people were rightly pissed at him.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Affordable Housing? Heh, have you considered guns, or drugs and how bad those things are, checkmate.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
There's a New Queens Democrats meeting happening tonight at 7 in Jackson Heights, in case anyone's interested.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

There's a New Queens Democrats meeting happening tonight at 7 in Jackson Heights, in case anyone's interested.

I would like to hear more about political organizing events in NYC that are not likely to be mostly shrieking twenty-two year olds who just read their first Zizek book, so I appreciate this post.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
Whoops, yeah, a link would definitely be handy, sorry about that.

I'll be the tall ginger in a camel coat, so definitely say hi, anyone who comes.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

CaptainPsyko posted:

Preet Bharara can never run for president.
how about now

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Nope. He was born in India.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

Cuomo cackles from his gilded throne, his hopes for a 2020 run bolstered

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

CaptainPsyko posted:

Nope. He was born in India.
ah ok. he should still finish the job and run for governor though

edit: if he even resigns, which he hasn't yet, as have most district attorneys asked to resign

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 08:59 on Mar 11, 2017

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Can't believe I didn't know about this thread.

Another Albanian here. Should it be advertised to the Upstate thread in LAN?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Double-posting because update: Bharara just said he'd been fired. :smith:

https://twitter.com/PreetBharara/status/840645773985492992

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Reported for inline :nws:/:nms:

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
Governor Preet would be amazing. It'd be like a second try with Spitzer, except not a douche.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

Governor Preet would be amazing. It'd be like a second try with Spitzer, except not a douche.

I don't know if the governor's mansion is where I'd put a muckraker like that. You don't root out corruption by having a few good people at the top, you do it by pushing for better accountability systems and having good, no-bullshit people willing to investigate and prosecute wrongdoing. If a Democrat wins in 2020, AG or FBI Director Bharara sounds really, really nice.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I don't know if the governor's mansion is where I'd put a muckraker like that. You don't root out corruption by having a few good people at the top, you do it by pushing for better accountability systems and having good, no-bullshit people willing to investigate and prosecute wrongdoing. If a Democrat wins in 2020, AG or FBI Director Bharara sounds really, really nice.

He could resurrect the ethics committee :unsmith:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

noooooooooooooooooooooooo :gonk:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

He could resurrect the ethics committee :unsmith:

I don't know. There'd be too much pressure for him to stop them from investigating him, too. And on the other hand, I don't know that he has the experience to manage or get things through the Legislature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I don't know. There'd be too much pressure for him to stop them from investigating him, too. And on the other hand, I don't know that he has the experience to manage or get things through the Legislature.

He was Chuck Schumer's #2 in the senate for several years. He knows from legislation.