Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

A slightly less early draft of rick and morty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcMFHRXp8xM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insufficient guns
May 4, 2009

personally, I would
like to fuck Wall-E

:h: :roboluv: :h:

Junk posted:

A slightly less early draft of rick and morty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcMFHRXp8xM

Rick and Morty is pretty good but really not amazing and I don't see how it's got such a huge devoted following.

This, however, is hot garbage. And the characters pointing out how garbage it is doesn't make it any less garbage.

I would rather watch a million Foamy the Squirrel videos than see that ever again.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

insufficient guns posted:

Rick and Morty is pretty good but really not amazing and I don't see how it's got such a huge devoted following.

This, however, is hot garbage. And the characters pointing out how garbage it is doesn't make it any less garbage.

I would rather watch a million Foamy the Squirrel videos than see that ever again.

Troppa-loppa-doo, troppa-loppa-dee

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
the episode with fry's dog

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Robo Reagan posted:

:qq:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Robo Reagan posted:

An unmemorable episode with a stupid cloying ending.

death by computer
Sep 6, 2010

Robo Reagan posted:

Remember how they went back to that in the movies and totally upfucked all the emotional resonance out of it

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Das Boo posted:

I thought a Mary Sue was a writer self-insert who floats through the universe being awesome at everything, is always proven right and overcomes every problem because they're inherently better than everyone else?
that describes everything about Rick outside of being a self-insert. it's telling that the humor on the show comes from the pop culture parallels and retellings than from the characters. you can only get so much mileage out of making GBS threads on the dad for being an unemployed sad sack

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the episode where maggie says daddy at the end is much more emotionally powerful than that goddang dog futurama episode.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master
How do you guys feel about Bojack Horseman

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
bender fucks leela oh yes

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
bojack is good, old simpsons is good, rick and morty is good

the dog planet episode of rick and morty is very very good

and the house party

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

get that OUT of my face posted:

that describes everything about Rick outside of being a self-insert. it's telling that the humor on the show comes from the pop culture parallels and retellings than from the characters. you can only get so much mileage out of making GBS threads on the dad for being an unemployed sad sack

Um, you're analysis is getting deeper than the actual show now.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I actually don't mind Skinner's reveal. I saw a video on youtube (I know I went wrong when I start a sentence with that) talked about how the arc started much earlier with a throw away gag. Skinner had a helmet with the same prison number as the guy from La Miserable Les Miserables (whoops, there were more than one miserable person in that play), so having the reveal being the same makes sense.

I think the aforementioned "Simpsons got a horse.... again!" episode is where I started noticing my attention dipping. I used to watch every sunday, then I'd watch because I was already there for Family Guy. Now I will check it out when I remember since I like Bobs Burgers a whole lot.

Houle fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Mar 5, 2017

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Houle posted:

La Miserable

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

La Miserable: the Cosette story

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
In the commentary for Saddlesore Galactica, Matt Groening claimed to have never seen the episode before

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Das Boo posted:

I thought a Mary Sue was a writer self-insert who floats through the universe being awesome at everything, is always proven right and overcomes every problem because they're inherently better than everyone else?

If you watch the Harmontown documentary, read anything about Dan Harmon, or listen to his (ex)wife's podcast it's blatant that Rick is how Dan Harmon sees himself and it's as utterly depressing as everything else about him. The guy needs help. Rick is a Mary Sue when the writer also hates himself.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Scudworth posted:

If you watch the Harmontown documentary, read anything about Dan Harmon, or listen to his (ex)wife's podcast it's blatant that Rick is how Dan Harmon sees himself and it's as utterly depressing as everything else about him. The guy needs help. Rick is a Mary Sue when the writer also hates himself.

That's pretty funny, honestly.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Wizard Master posted:

How do you guys feel about Bojack Horseman

It's fantastic. It's like Mad Men meets Arrested Development and some Zootopi thrown in. But a message to anyone looking to check it out, it doesn't really get good until after the first 6 episodes.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Scudworth posted:

i thought Rick was a character created by Dan Harmon and Justin Roiland, where they just made Doc Brown from Back to the Future a drunk rear end in a top hat. shame

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Scudworth posted:

i'm not going to watch read or listen to any of those things, can you just give us the rundown?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Junk posted:

i'm not going to watch read or listen to any of those things, can you just give us the rundown?

You should, Harmontown (both the doc and podcast) is amazing and funny and honest and just a good time you know?

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Alan_Shore posted:

You should, Harmontown (both the doc and podcast) is amazing and funny and honest and just a good time you know?

but that other guy said it was "utterly depressing" so one of you is lying

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
death to those who insult Rick and Morty

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
Good line from the Armin one: My dreams all involve combing my hair.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Junk posted:

I would never lie to you. It's funny as gently caress

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
If this many goons defend it it must be pretty awful

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
watched the Frank Grimes episode tonight and while I like it more thanks to this thread, I still think it would've been better if they'd toned down Homer being a jackass

If the real point was to play off of Homer's ridiculous life, and in a larger sense how TV handles characters like that, they could've done that just as well without Homer being so over the top

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Bojack Horseman is an absolute pro watch

The first couple episodes are alright, like here's this washed-up rear end in a top hat getting into escapades and it's pretty funny, and then the noose starts to tighten

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

get that OUT of my face posted:

i thought Rick was a character created by Dan Harmon and Justin Roiland, where they just made Doc Brown from Back to the Future a drunk rear end in a top hat. shame

Yes, it's also that.

Junk posted:

It is utterly depressing, and funny, and honest. Many comedians are broken functional alcoholics who hate themselves, it's a cliche by now, he's just better at writing TV shows than the rest of them. And even then he's still been fired over and over again (and divorced after less than a year) for his drunken destructive rage. And he's the first one to admit this.

Scudworth fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Mar 5, 2017

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Frank Grimes had what I thought was a kind of cool, easily missed character quirk where he nervously wiped his sweaty hand on his pants before shaking hands with someone. He did it at least twice in the episode and it was never acknowledged.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Junk posted:

From what I learned in the Community TVIV thread:

Dan Harmon can't shut the gently caress up about his D&D Game. Years before Harmon Quest or whatever he would bring it up in every episode of his podcast. At one point his DM was hanging out with the crew like all the time.

He drinks all the loving time.

He's kind of a self loathing dick in general.

Honestly he's probably one of the goons defending Rick and Morty.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
its me, im the rick man, a show that is extremely popular doesn't need defending

I THOUGHT THIS WAS ABOUT THE SIMPSONS

I WANNA TALK ABOUT HOMER

the one where he invents stuff is pretty good

"dad i don't think women will like being shot in the face"
"women will like what i tell them to like"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Rick Sanchez . Mary Sue. We all want to be that guy who treats his grandkids like poo poo, leaves his daughter at a young age to go gently caress random things around the galaxy and end up back at home because we're so hosed up, unable to relate to regular people, yet have to be around others.
So we drink. Drink to get riggity riggity recked, and scream wubba lubba Dubb dubbs. And we all know what that means.

That Mary Sue Rick Sanchez!

*urp* lick my balls

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

CelticPredator posted:

end up back at home because we're so hosed up, unable to relate to regular people, yet have to be around others.
So we drink. Drink to get riggity riggity recked, and scream wubba lubba Dubb dubbs. And we all know what that means.

Here's that Harmontown rundown you wanted, Junk

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
I acquit

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Razorwired posted:

From what I learned in the Community TVIV thread:

Dan Harmon can't shut the gently caress up about his D&D Game. Years before Harmon Quest or whatever he would bring it up in every episode of his podcast. At one point his DM was hanging out with the crew like all the time.

He drinks all the loving time.

He's kind of a self loathing dick in general.

Honestly he's probably one of the goons defending Rick and Morty.

He can't shut up about D&D because they play it on the podcast, he enjoys it and it's segued into a successful TV show. The DM was just a dude from the audience who he became good friends with because he's funny and creative who eventually became an employee.

He does.

He'd be the first one to say this.

He's a millionaire with several successful TV shows. I don't get the hate.

inb4 Dan Harmon account spotted

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Rick & Morty is popular because Futurama was the only Sci-Fi comedy on TV for like 10 years and it was originally set for family appeal, which is why the movies and late seasons come off as edgy or cringey, because they started writing toward mature audiences.

Rick & Morty has never been for children and doesn't ever talk down to the viewer, it just talks down to Morty & Jerry. Further, R&M has tons of discussion about morality and emotional availability, like I could bring up more than half the episodes here, but also is zany and madcap and graphic, so it's entertaining to watch and thought provoking, which is rare in modern cartoons.

When's the last time you were watching an animated western show and had to pause it because you were really thinking about what just happened? Rick & Morty does that for a shitload of sadbrainz nerds like me, because it is written by sadbrainz nerds for sadbrainz nerds, and we don't get TV that doesn't treat us the The Big Bang Theory does...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

CelticPredator posted:

Rick Sanchez . Mary Sue. We all want to be that guy who treats his grandkids like poo poo, leaves his daughter at a young age to go gently caress random things around the galaxy and end up back at home because we're so hosed up, unable to relate to regular people, yet have to be around others.

That Mary Sue Rick Sanchez!

*urp* lick my balls

Well, we're also talking about a guy who dates an entire planet full of people, effortlessly clowns the devil himself at his own game, powers his car with his own universe and is proved to be right on almost every subject 90% of the time. When I say Mary Sue its not that its a literally flawless individual, but most of their characteristics add up to make them seem as exceptional and unique as possible. In Rick's case, even his flaws kind of add to his exceptionality and coolness. He's a drunk!... the kind that doesn't lose any of his wit or foxiness no matter how much he drinks and gets more off the wall and uninhibited in all the best ways instead. He abandons his daughter!... To go on insane space adventures for years and when he comes back she's so besotted with him that she lets him stay in her house and do whatever the gently caress he wants no questions asked. He treats his Grandkids like crap!... who are a disinterested teenage girl and annoying idiot spineless grandson so, we probably would too tbh.

Its not that I hate the show or think its bad, its great, I love it on the whole and can't wait for the next season its sometimes Rick's characterization can get a bit grating.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Mar 5, 2017