Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
There's also the problem that wrestling viewership discussions are still focused on Nielsen ratings a lot of the time, which is a very outdated system for judging eyes on a show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Pro wrestling is still fine. The people running the biggest face of it are just gigantic, petty self marks with delusions of grandeur.

SpiritOfSanDimas
Oct 31, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

I think the wrestling industry is just dying in general and its funny that it is happening in a time where mainstream exposure/acceptance to wrestling is at it's highest.

WWE won't die but I could see them achieving a sort of global monopoly as a touring act while the TV show continues to dwindle. I think in the future WWE live shows will be thought of as a "weird night out" type attraction, like a cheaper cirque du soleil or some poo poo as opposed to a continuation / supplement of a tv show with storylines. Raw will still exist but an insignificant number of people will watch it

Unless they sell to Disney or whatever, then who the gently caress knows

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The WWE's ratings are mostly in line with the drop in ratings in general. There's more channels now, and more ways to watch things than live.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

TheKingslayer posted:

Pro wrestling is still fine. The people running the biggest face of it are just gigantic, petty self marks with delusions of grandeur.
When has this never been the case, I mean back in the territory days it looked like that territories were run like mob syndicates.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

if you pay attention There is actual evidence that no one has seen the real version of wrestling TV shows at all for several years dating back to somewhere between 2009 and 2012. The false versions come through the "feed" and there hasn't been a fix discovered yet. if any news comes out about this i'll bring it up. But if I die before then, some one eilse will need to do it.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/MATTHARDYBRAND/status/838173990376128514

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

The year is 2017 and the most over person in wrestling is Matt Hardy

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The hill!

Thank you, thank you, but I don't do this for the acclaim.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
Dana Brooke finished in last place at the Arnold Classic this weekend. So, there's that.

DM Punk fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Mar 5, 2017

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

More like Dana suck

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
Aww, that's gotta be rough; she's taken a lot of time off (not that she was doing a whole lot to begin with) to do that and it's tough getting in that kind of shape when you're on the road. (Just look at what happens to Big Show every 18 months.)

But also, last place is perfect for her and I'd be more disappointed if she came anywhere in the middle.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
lmao what wont this girl screw up

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
She did a competition in South American around 18 months ago and came like second last

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
I am not sure what her routine was going for honestly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vDzvWrPB9Y

Compare that to the winner:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4w602rDgx4

DM Punk fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Mar 5, 2017

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Blaise330 posted:

I'm going to feel old when Nikki Bella is the returning part-time veteran.

She is basically already doing this.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

I think the wrestling industry is just dying in general and its funny that it is happening in a time where mainstream exposure/acceptance to wrestling is at it's highest.

What?

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
All the wrestling companies are lovely and evil so just pick the one you like and complain about it to your heart's content.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

achillesforever6 posted:

in a time where mainstream exposure/acceptance to wrestling is at it's highest.

gently caress yeah its the 80s again and i can do lots of coke and vote for ronald reagan

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Lol Dana's thing was a drag show performance basically

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
It's too bad she sucks at this body building competition thing because she seems like a nice person.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dana cosplayed as Dolph Ziggler thats why she sucked and lost.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

DM Punk posted:

I am not sure what her routine was going for honestly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vDzvWrPB9Y

Compare that to the winner:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4w602rDgx4

i've never seen a tranny stripper competition before

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't believe you.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Chris James 2 posted:

So who's going to be the part-timer nostalgia act reminding everyone of the good old 1 million viewer NXT days? Senior Citizen Eric Young or middle aged Billie Kay are my guesses

You don't think Roman Reigns will be the 1 million viewer era?

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mulaney Power Move posted:

tranny stripper competition

Go on...

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

i prefer watching jacked guys in their underwear hug each other

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/David_Stepp/status/838200010491715584

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He threw an illegal knee.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

he also got tapped after dominating 99% of the fight lol

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Stale Saltines posted:

he also got tapped after dominating 99% of the fight lol

DISTRACTION FROM ALEXA BLISS

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Acceptance is debatable, but exposure-wise you regularly had Cena on the Today show and other stuff, alumni Dwayne being in major movie after major movie (even expanding to major HBO show), and ESPN regularly covering and breaking WWE news stories. Even if you just narrow it down specifically to the company instead of the industry in general, it's hard to think of a time where they had more major nationwide media coverage than the last two years alone have brought

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Chris James 2 posted:

Acceptance is debatable, but exposure-wise you regularly had Cena on the Today show and other stuff, alumni Dwayne being in major movie after major movie (even expanding to major HBO show), and ESPN regularly covering and breaking WWE news stories. Even if you just narrow it down specifically to the company instead of the industry in general, it's hard to think of a time where they had more major nationwide media coverage than the last two years alone have brought

Well i mean in the 80s hulk hogan was loving -everywhere- and until we get a john cena breakfast cereal then he loses.

WadeBartender
Aug 18, 2013

Platypus Farm posted:

Well i mean in the 80s hulk hogan was loving -everywhere- and until we get a john cena breakfast cereal then he loses.

I mean Cena was the mascot for a cereal that actually sold boxes for a while

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I'm mean as well. is that what we're all saying. oh lordy it isnt

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Platypus Farm posted:

Fruity Pebbles

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Platypus Farm posted:

what about booty-os

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Chris James 2 posted:

Good points, I misunderstood Achilles' post and was thinking in terms of mainstream popularity.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

luke? rovert, I thought your name was trevor!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Chris James 2 posted:

That there is far less "pro wrestling is fake, ain't I clever" jokes when wrestling is brought up in the media these days compared to say 2-5 years ago.

That or I'm too in the wrestling twitter bubble/echo chamber.

• Locked thread