Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Moltrey posted:

lmaooo gently caress that, bless your soul.

the only cool thing about that shrine was trying to jury rig the paths into ways so you could scurry along them rather than figure out how they actually wanted you to do it

ya there is no way the one I picked for the 3rd section was the intended route

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Dork457 posted:

Any tips on ways to get more rupees early on?

Mixing a firefly and 4 bokoblin teeth makes a potion that sells for 100 rupees. Seems like the easiest thing to make that sells for a decent amount to me.

Ore also sells for a lot but I'm worried its used for something later.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
someone pages back posted a list of what you needed the ores for and how much, can't find it now tho.

it was something you only really needed like 10 Ambers so I just sold off the extra 20 I had and made like 600 rupees or something. I have over 1000 now and can easily afford to make Fashion Choices

eonwe posted:

ya there is no way the one I picked for the 3rd section was the intended route
same, mine was real bootleg

best worst part was finally making it over there, seeing the door was locked and realizing the that chest i kept seeing on the platform wasn't optional so i had to do it all over

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Mar 5, 2017

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Hedrigall posted:

The shrine where you use stasis to play golf is hard. I got the first one (which takes you to the spirit orb, all good) but around the corner from the monk is an optional second hole for a chest, and it's loving haaaard

pick the orb up and put it down at the back of that platform. Then six hammer swings will go the right distance. Still a pain to aim right, though.

I love that people are discovering things all over the map and you can't just say "I guess he's further in the game than me." And cound me among the folks who missed key quests because I took the cliffs instead of the road. Nothing like gliding between two peaks while a guardian takes potshots from below.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Trying to get an answer to this. Is there any point in hanging on to ore I find, or should I just be selling it?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Does anyone know if Naydra respawns after you defeat it? I forgot to take a picture of it.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
This marble madness shrine in Hatano is the worst shrine. I hate this. I can't even do it with the gamepad upside down. gently caress this shrine.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Wildtortilla posted:

This marble madness shrine in Hatano is the worst shrine. I hate this. I can't even do it with the gamepad upside down. gently caress this shrine.

Of course I got it the first try after losing my cool.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Wait a second. The Ganon loyalists wear the Mask of Truth? Is the King of Hyrule a purveyor of fake news? Sad!

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Tru

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I've played more than 20 hours and I still haven't tried snowboarding yet! :O

I need to get on that.

Wildtortilla posted:

As well as the upsidedown trick, you can apparently also just go up the ramp and jump into the maze and go pick up the ball yourself!

My new videogames bae (until ME:Andromeda comes out)

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

snoremac posted:

gently caress that, it's still hill-ian in my canon

how

I mean do you call it "hih-rule"? And not get the Lorule/Hyrule thing?

My contribution to how great this game is is contour lines. As someone who used to read maps for a living it's wonderful seeing them used and useful in a video game. Makes it so much better plotting routes.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

It's driving me crazy, the sound effect of his smile twinkling totally comes from A Link to the Past right

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Sidon is the loving best. I captured this pose every time he does it :allears:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Infinity Gaia posted:

Does anyone know if Naydra respawns after you defeat it? I forgot to take a picture of it.

Dunno, but there's others who have (daily? weekly?) cycles that count as the same species.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

acumen posted:

how

I mean do you call it "hih-rule"? And not get the Lorule/Hyrule thing?

My contribution to how great this game is is contour lines. As someone who used to read maps for a living it's wonderful seeing them used and useful in a video game. Makes it so much better plotting routes.

I read them as hi-rule and hill-ian respectively. It might not make sense but I've been doing it forever.

"Marble Madness" must be an American localisation thing because the Australian version calls it Myahm Agana Apparatus.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Wait a second. The Ganon loyalists wear the Mask of Truth? Is the King of Hyrule a purveyor of fake news? Sad!

Go up to random passerby. Guess 50/50 the conversation will turn into about killing me. Usually does.

"Hello stranger, sure is a nice day!"

"A nice day to die!"

*cue music*

Despera fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 5, 2017

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

snoremac posted:

I read them as hi-rule and hill-ian respectively. It might not make sense but I've been doing it forever.

"Marble Madness" must be an American localisation thing because the Australian version calls it Myahm Agana Apparatus.

Its the name of a semi popular toy that is that dungeon with a cover over the top.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

man nurse posted:

Trying to get an answer to this. Is there any point in hanging on to ore I find, or should I just be selling it?

If you can find something in the wild once, you can probably find it again. If the game lets you sell it I'm pretty sure it's not going to get in the way of your completing the game. So just do whatever.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Moltrey posted:

someone pages back posted a list of what you needed the ores for and how much, can't find it now tho.

it was something you only really needed like 10 Ambers so I just sold off the extra 20 I had and made like 600 rupees or something. I have over 1000 now and can easily afford to make Fashion Choices

same, mine was real bootleg

best worst part was finally making it over there, seeing the door was locked and realizing the that chest i kept seeing on the platform wasn't optional so i had to do it all over

i did the same drat thing re the door locked

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
This is the best iteration of the Lost Woods in the entire series, and the place names legit brought a tear to my eye. :3:

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

acumen posted:

My wife and I make maps/are geologists. We both dig the contours hard. I've also noticed varied geology in the game too! In one zone the bedding appeared to be vertical and there were springs coming out of the mountain side. In another area there were holes in the ground surface and while floating over head I mused quietly, "sinkholes!"

To keep going for a moment on open world details, in GTA V there were monitoring well covers at gas stations for both ground water wells and soil vapor monitoring.

When I say Marble Madness I'm referencing the NES game.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Despera posted:

Its the name of a semi popular toy that is that dungeon with a cover over the top.

...it's the name of a video game from the '80s.

Yuki Akuma
Apr 9, 2007
Public Service Announcement: when you kill a non-Guardian enemy with an Ancient Arrow, they don't drop any loot.

Which is a bitch to discover after killing a lion-centaur guy and getting none of the sweet drops you usually get from them

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The brand name for the physical marble-moving tilt toy was Labyrinth. Sadly without David Bowie.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
How long did it take you to realize that pretty much all the named areas are names or references to previous Zelda characters and locations

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Calaveron posted:

How long did it take you to realize that pretty much all the named areas are names or references to previous Zelda characters and locations

Isn't this just standard for the series

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

Isn't this just standard for the series

Sure there's Faron and Lost Woods and Kakariko but now there's Mikau Lake and Lulu Lake and Sahasrala Meadow and Linebeck Island and so on and so forth

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Wildtortilla posted:

My wife and I make maps/are geologists. We both dig the contours hard. I've also noticed varied geology in the game too! In one zone the bedding appeared to be vertical and there were springs coming out of the mountain side. In another area there were holes in the ground surface and while floating over head I mused quietly, "sinkholes!"
This is really cool! As someone who only took A geology class last year in college, I'd love to read more about the specific geology of this hosed up video game world

eonwe posted:

i did the same drat thing re the door locked
hahaha gently caress

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
My god charging straight into Hyrule Castle after doing the first major dungeon was the dumbest and best idea at the same time.

I have a weapon with 72 attack get wrecked equipment curve

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
loving CHRIST HOW IS THIS GAME THIS GOOD

Nintendo may continue to be the utmost out-of-touch shitlords on so many fronts but jesus gently caress they can still conjure unprecedented magic every now and then.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Soo...any advice for taking down the Stalnox in Hickaly Woods?

Just have a ton of bomb arrows??

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Random gripes about a special ridable

Spent the last hour of my previous session riding Satori, the Lord of the Mountain, trying to find a stable that would take him. Gave up and saved. Then forty minutes ago I realized that the house I bought had a lovely stable, maybe I can use it to keep horses and such without the stable mafia breathing over my neck. I ride all the way to Hatane and talk to the dude I bought it from, got all the things the house could get (no stable tho) and then I just took a leap of faith and dismounted. Satori vanished ten seconds later.

Why'd you do me dirty like that, Nintendo? I found the dude, soothed him, took him from a mountain top and then rode him all the way to the east side, why can't I keep the magic glowing ghost horse?????

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Soo...any advice for taking down the Stalnox in Hickaly Woods?

Just have a ton of bomb arrows??
My strat: Shoot him right in the eye with his arrows and just wail on him whatever weapons you got, I was using a normal rear end Solider's Broadsword at the time. Eventually he'll start protecting his eye, but there's still a window after he picks up a tree or one of his own bones as a weapon that he stands still long enough for you to get a shot off. Around this time I noticed that his eye fell out when I shot it, making it vunerable to your attacks. It would reform back into his head, so when I got it out the next time, I just picked it up and ran away with it off a cliff to were it couldn't reform back to him and just wailed on it forever until it died and the skeleton exploded like a magical sword pinata.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I love that this game lets you save whenever you want and saves so often, it's a beautiful thing. That's my kind of challenge, you can have enemies that one shot you a lot, but it's all good you don't lose anything if you take a few tries. Plus if you want to stop playing and do something else, you don't lose progress, very nice

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Calaveron posted:

Sure there's Faron and Lost Woods and Kakariko but now there's Mikau Lake and Lulu Lake and Sahasrala Meadow and Linebeck Island and so on and so forth

All of the Sages in OoT were named after the towns in Zelda 2, it's been a thing just not to this extent.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
MINOR THING I HATE: The Shiekah Sensor beeps too much!!

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

So everyone who, like me, was paranoid about diamonds, be paranoid no more. There's a guy in Zora's domain who trades 10 luminous stones for 1 diamond, and I'm CERTAIN those respawn.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I just came across that cool fire sword somebody mentioned earlier, haven't come across the quest they mentioned though, just ran into it. Pretty cool! I assume this'll break like any other weapon, so I'll save it for a special occasion.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Mar 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
First dungeon down!
After playing practically 2 full days nonstop