Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
E: Ah, my own fault then.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Mar 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

You probably shouldn't be downloading pirated copies of them then

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I'm glad the Marines are going back to being not just hella gay but overtly gay.

I want Papa Smurf to love his young initiates as the Emperor loved him.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Roboute can't hold a candle to the Fabulous Custodes.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Angry Lobster posted:

Roboute can't hold a candle to the Fabulous Custodes.

Thank you for reminding me that THIS exists.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Laughing Zealot posted:

Papa smurf is not happy.

Is this just fan made or is this a 'canon' quote?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Skarsnik posted:

You probably shouldn't be downloading pirated copies of them then

lite_sleepr posted:

Is this just fan made or is this a 'canon' quote?

Official Warhammer 40k propaganda, my dude.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Someone has been editing BL stuff and releasing them as :filez:

So it's kind of like when idiots post on support forums with error messages that only appear in pirated games

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Skarsnik posted:

So it's kind of like when idiots post on support forums with error messages that only appear in pirated games

Well that explains that then!

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
So . . . we're not going back to the glory days of explicitly gay marines?

Unlike the '90s, it's OK to be gay now. The marines should stop living in the closet.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Skarsnik posted:

What's amazing is that even such ham-fisted editions aren't entirely unbelievable for the average warhamms reader, that speaks volumes about the expected quality of Black Library's books.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Angry Lobster posted:

What's amazing is that even such ham-fisted editions aren't entirely unbelievable for the average warhamms reader, that speaks volumes about the expected quality of Black Library's books.

I think it says more about the reader who was fooled by it

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Skarsnik posted:

What was it, I missed it.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

It was a really obvious fake with Guilliman 'powerfisting' Marius.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

VanSandman posted:

Official Warhammer 40k propaganda, my dude.

Noice!

Is there any official site or product I can look at that details Big Bobby G's resurrection and reaction to the state of the imperium thus far?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

lite_sleepr posted:

Noice!

Is there any official site or product I can look at that details Big Bobby G's resurrection and reaction to the state of the imperium thus far?

Gathering Storm III: Rise of the Primarch comes out this Saturday.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

I kind of liked the idea of RG coming back and leading the Ultramarines on Dornian Heresy style offshoot as the third Imperium; dedicated to his father's vision of prosperity and advancement for humanity.

Semi-Lore question: The rules mentioned in the preview stuff I've seen cover special rules for Ultramarines and special new relics (which I guess they thought were too nice and special to be used if they couldn't have their Primarch to see them?). Are those rules extended to progenitor Ultramarine chapters since they also have their Primarch back? Like, in the lore how do they fit the Primarch in with the existing chapter system? Is Calgar simply demoted and RG becomes effectively another Chapter Master or is he being written in to effect the rest of his gene seed as well?

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Ehhh, I can't justify buying a rule book for a game I don't play :(

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

Maybe he would've remained loyal through the Heresy, but the Butcher's Nails broke Angron. Even if his army had survived, even if the slave uprising had been successful, with the Nails in it's just a matter of time before something goes wrong.

One of my favorite points about Betrayer is the idea that actually, the Nails -delayed- Angron going rogue. As he tells Russ, had he been a whole person and not someone just looking forward to the next fight he cares nothing about in order to still the agony in his skull, he would have turned on the Emperor almost instantly for being a tyrant and a slaver. Sure, he'd have been obliterated by the Big E, but it's not like he would have cared.

The Khan secretly thought the same thing, but chose to shrug it off and spend his time on the outskirts of the Imperium so he wouldn't have to see things taking shape the way he feared.

Say what you will about Angry Rageman, he is a dude of principle either way.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Angron sees the Emperor as a tyrant and a slaver because the Emperor sided with the ruling class of Nuceria. If the Emperor had sided with his son, Angron would've seen the Emperor as a liberator.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
The nails should have killed Angron by all accounts, right? It was only thanks to his primarch physiology that he survived them, owing to his body's regenerative healing power? Every moment spent not engaged in physical combat was agony if I recall.

Angron is a Meeseeks; existence is pain.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lite_sleepr posted:

The nails should have killed Angron by all accounts, right? It was only thanks to his primarch physiology that he survived them, owing to his body's regenerative healing power? Every moment spent not engaged in physical combat was agony if I recall.

Angron is a Meeseeks; existence is pain.

lmao "I'M MR. ANGRON LOOK AT MEEEE!!!"

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

Guy Goodbody posted:

Angron sees the Emperor as a tyrant and a slaver because the Emperor sided with the ruling class of Nuceria. If the Emperor had sided with his son, Angron would've seen the Emperor as a liberator.

Maybe so but it wouldnt take long for Angron to see that the verry ships the emperium uses are slave driven for alot of its functions. The emperium as a whole is the very thing he fought against. In your scenario angron would see what hes being liberated into as abominable. Him being a broken sad being looking for his next fix of adrenal high is the only thing keeping him from rebelling.

And besides would the emperor side with angron when he then would want to proceed with the whole sale slaughter of the entire planet?

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Just started book one of the Macharian Crusade: Angel of Fire. Anyone else read this one?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

lite_sleepr posted:

Ehhh, I can't justify buying a rule book for a game I don't play :(

Probably a good idea, considering the last big set of books GW released (i.e. The End Times) wound up getting invalidated immediately.

And, to be completely honest, the Gathering Storm books are not really detailed anyway - they are more overviews to rapidly get the storyline to a certain point. You'll get as much information reading a wiki as purchasing and reading the books, and you'll still have $150 in your pocket at the end.

Judging by the interview with Laurie Golding, BL underwent a bit of restructuring, and I don't think we are going to see anything Gathering Storm related until after book 3 is released, and even possibly until the push for 8th ed.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

pubic works project posted:

Just started book one of the Macharian Crusade: Angel of Fire. Anyone else read this one?

yeah. It was a pretty solid series. I enjoyed it, but looking back on it now, nothing stands out besides some decent character interactions and big battles. So, above average BL fare.

Shroud
May 11, 2009
Came across a :wow: revelation last night.

We know the aim of the Great Crusade was to conquer the galaxy for humanity, and we know the Webway portal was meant to eliminate the reliance on astropaths and navigators.

So if there are no more xenos threats and ability for Chaos to corrupt is mostly nullified, what do you need 20 legions of Astartes for?

Spoilered just in case-
According to one Black Library editor (Laurie Golding) - not much.

The Emperor knew that some of the primarchs would betray him. In fact, he needed that to happen in order for a civil war to break out. A civil war would dramatically lessen the number of Astartes. That way he could reduce their strength without having to wipe them out, as he did with the Thunder Warriors.

What he didn't allow for was the turning of Magnus. That's the real end of hope for humanity. With the Webway, it wouldn't matter if Horus took over large swathes of territory. The Imperium could retake it at will using the paths in the Webway, while Horus's forces would still have use warp travel (not sure if Webway access is faster, though). How Horus ruined the Emperor's future plans was by tricking Russ into using lethal force. When Magnus breached the Webway, the Emperor sent for him to be brought back to Terra and punished. But, he definitely wanted him alive so he could sit on the Throne.

He also confirmed that the Emperor was indeed meant to be a colossal, cold-blooded rear end in a top hat that didn't see the Primarchs as his sons.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Shroud posted:

He also confirmed that the Emperor was indeed meant to be a colossal, cold-blooded rear end in a top hat that didn't see the Primarchs as his sons.

This should not come as a surprise to anyone, considering his treatment of the Thunder Warriors once the Unification Wars were over.

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:

berzerkmonkey posted:

This should not come as a surprise to anyone, considering his treatment of the Thunder Warriors once the Unification Wars were over.

Or anyone who's read MoM emps only refers to them by their numbers and actively recognises them as tools, the only one I *think* he refers to by name, and even then Im not sure he does is Magnus, after his colossal fuckup. But from thousand sons it is only Magnus that the big E forms a relationship with before their scattering. Only Magnus is conversing with E before the primarchs are fully formed in their gestation pods and the subsequent scattering. Even when the primarchs are scattered E is still able to chat with Maggy. Makes his screw up all the more major for E than the "sixteenth's" betrayal. Plus Maggy was supposed to be the occupant of the GT when E had to step off the throne for anytime before he'd conquered the webway .

I blitzed through MoM whilst halfway through a thousand sons reread so i might have miscontsrued some of MoM.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

That entire part of the book where The Emperor is working on Angron is also from Arkhan Lands point of view, which drastically alters the way in which Emps comes across.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

AndyElusive posted:

That entire part of the book where The Emperor is working on Angron is also from Arkhan Lands point of view, which drastically alters the way in which Emps comes across.

That part had me confused because I couldn't figure out when in the timeline it was supposed to be.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

AndyElusive posted:

They really hosed up HH that way.

It is like they had no plan past the first 3 or 4 books and just let everyone wing it.

Hopefully if they do the Not-End-Times(tm) they plan it out better.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Xae posted:

Not-End-Times ... plan it out better.

Lol

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Xae posted:

They really hosed up HH that way.

It is like they had no plan past the first 3 or 4 books and just let everyone wing it.
If you read Laurie Golding's interview, that's pretty much the way it was. Accounting was controlling BL, and they wanted book after book to increase the bottom line, no matter if it was good or bad. BL's since been cut loose again, so that's why we've seen such a slowdown in the release schedule. Hopefully they are concentrating on quality over quantity now.

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011

Shroud posted:

Came across a :wow: revelation last night.

We know the aim of the Great Crusade was to conquer the galaxy for humanity, and we know the Webway portal was meant to eliminate the reliance on astropaths and navigators.

So if there are no more xenos threats and ability for Chaos to corrupt is mostly nullified, what do you need 20 legions of Astartes for?

Spoilered just in case-
According to one Black Library editor (Laurie Golding) - not much.

The Emperor knew that some of the primarchs would betray him. In fact, he needed that to happen in order for a civil war to break out. A civil war would dramatically lessen the number of Astartes. That way he could reduce their strength without having to wipe them out, as he did with the Thunder Warriors.

What he didn't allow for was the turning of Magnus. That's the real end of hope for humanity. With the Webway, it wouldn't matter if Horus took over large swathes of territory. The Imperium could retake it at will using the paths in the Webway, while Horus's forces would still have use warp travel (not sure if Webway access is faster, though). How Horus ruined the Emperor's future plans was by tricking Russ into using lethal force. When Magnus breached the Webway, the Emperor sent for him to be brought back to Terra and punished. But, he definitely wanted him alive so he could sit on the Throne.

Only problem I have is that this version of the Emperor doesn't seem like someone that should have a lot of trust in Horus. Why would he let Magnus do his own thing, and why should Russ not be way more suspicious of Horus?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Well I took a several-month break from following BL and 40K stuff, and I missed MoM being released so I'm antsy to shove it into my face.

Now eagerly reading. Has Abnett returned to us yet?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

mdemone posted:

Well I took a several-month break from following BL and 40K stuff, and I missed MoM being released so I'm antsy to shove it into my face.

Now eagerly reading. Has Abnett returned to us yet?
Warmaster is coming out in December, in case you weren't around for that announcement. No news on Penitent, of course.

MMAgCh fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Mar 11, 2017

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006
So while I've been off from work for the past week I've blazed through the last ten HH novels I didn't bother reading as I'd just kinda had enough of GW but now they're being cool so I'm back in.

Most of them are just average to poor (Deathfire, the Garro novella, The Silent War, Pharos..) but Chris Wraight again wrote a good scars novel in The Path of Heaven, Gav Thorpe's Angels of Caliban book was better than the others but still too much boring betrayal and secret and more betrayal.

John French's Praetorians of Dorn though, I'm halfway in and it's easily the best portrayal of the Alpha Legion I've read since Abnett wrote one of the best HH novels, Legion.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

ed balls balls man posted:

So while I've been off from work for the past week I've blazed through the last ten HH novels I didn't bother reading as I'd just kinda had enough of GW but now they're being cool so I'm back in.

Most of them are just average to poor (Deathfire, the Garro novella, The Silent War, Pharos..) but Chris Wraight again wrote a good scars novel in The Path of Heaven, Gav Thorpe's Angels of Caliban book was better than the others but still too much boring betrayal and secret and more betrayal.

John French's Praetorians of Dorn though, I'm halfway in and it's easily the best portrayal of the Alpha Legion I've read since Abnett wrote one of the best HH novels, Legion.

If I remember correctly, there were a few cool stories in The Silent War, and between Praetorian of Dorn and those Alpha Legion stories in there, I really thirst for a proper full-length book about a harrowing.

Like, gently caress, just call the thing "The Harrowing", and give me all the deets on it. Can't be that hard.

What pissed me off in the entire Imperium Secondus arc was that it failed entirely on account of no one being able to put petty bullshit and pride behind them. The entire galaxy is on fire, your survival is completely dependent on cooperation, can you work together for one loving second maybe? Curze snitching out the Lion also felt telegraphed really hard.
Also Sanguinius being a sulky emo bitch the majority of the time got on my nerves. We get it dude, Signus Prime sucked, but you're a demi-god angel murdertank, get the gently caress over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Waroduce posted:

Guys I found the Talon of Horus